• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Singing the high note

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gatorade

Naturally, we called it Gatorade
Hello everyone, as some of you may know, I am going to be trying out for Enjolras in my school's production of Les Miserables. We are required to sing "Do You Hear the People Sing" and there is a high G (the one right above middle C). It is very difficult for me to sing this note. Most of the time I either squeak it out or nothing comes out at all. I just started taking vocal lessons so I'm sure that'll help but for now, I need major help from you guys.

I know there is a certain way that you are supposed to breath and I think I am doing it right, but my voice still doesn't feel powerful like my directors say it should. I think it has something to do with my inability to hit the G. Also, my throat feels very tense when I sing that high. I know that is not supposed to happen but my throat naturally tenses up and I can't change it no matter how hard I try. Help/Advice is very, very much appreciated.

<3

Call me Love, love.
Breathing is simple, lay down on the floor and place a book on your stomach. As you are breathing in your stomach should contract and as you are breathing out it should expand. Doing this make sure you aren't trying to suck in your gut as you are concentrating on singing.
My teacher forces me to do it every lesson, lol.

As for reaching the note, try tilting your neck forward, just a tiny bit, to help open up your vocal box more, make sure you have a straight back.

If any more tips come to mind, I'll let you know =)
Hope that helps.

Gatorade

Naturally, we called it Gatorade
Breathing is simple, lay down on the floor and place a book on your stomach. As you are breathing in your stomach should contract and as you are breathing out it should expand. Doing this make sure you aren't trying to suck in your gut as you are concentrating on singing.
My teacher forces me to do it every lesson, lol.

As for reaching the note, try tilting your neck forward, just a tiny bit, to help open up your vocal box more, make sure you have a straight back.

If any more tips come to mind, I'll let you know =)
Hope that helps.
Contract when breathing in? I've never heard that before. I've heard to expand your chest and kind of like hold it there.

<3

Call me Love, love.
Contract when breathing in? I've never heard that before. I've heard to expand your chest and kind of like hold it there.

Yeap. Contract when breathing in. After you've done the exersize a couple of times it pretty much comes natually. Sometimes you don't even notice doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back