• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Steam

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

pwn_teh_noobz

I just got a new laptop. I am hesitating to download Steam, the program that allows you to play CS and Half-Life and stuff.

Does anyone know if Steam gives off viruses?

I've played a lot of CS before on other computers but I am rather paranoid about my new one because I just got it and it is pretty expensive. On the other computers there have been many viruses, but I am not sure if those are from Steam or not.

Can someone who has done massive research on Steam in the past, or someone who has been affected by a virus, help me out?

Thanks

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
Steam dose not, It never done it for me, and I have on all 4 of my computers.. I asked a my two clan friends, they havent got any virsus elther and one is computer god..

They only way, if you get a virsus off steam, is if you downloading Steam form another host and not valve. Or you downloading hacks for the game..

I will look more into it though..if you want

S

Shadow Soldier

Why not download it, and get a virus scanner? -.- you should have a virus scanner anyways.

T

The Marauder

Steam has never given me any viruses, then again the hardware firewall on my router is pretty good. Still, if Steam let stuff in, that shouldn't matter... In any case, just get it. It CS and HL man, come on. That's worth... anything. ;)

Puddle Jumper

Hobo with a shotgun
Website
www.debasedtothis.org
Buy or download a game that isn't related to steam! Stay as far away as you can from this evil creation. Steam causes far more troubles than it's worth. My computer crashed several times because of Steam and I am definatly not the only one with this problem. Friends of mine from all over the world have the same experiances. Steam also has the urge to just shut down on you or just run for 30 per time before it reboots your entire computer. If I didn't know any better, I'd swear it was created by Microsoft.

pwn_teh_noobz

Argh, now I'm getting mixed feelings about Steam. It seems like the majority of people don't see problems, but its the few exceptions, like Puddle Jumper, that worry me.

A lot of admins get pissed at me because they think I hack. I also read on another forum that Steam allows admins to mess around with your computer.

I just don't know what to do...

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
I never got virus off Steam..Valve does suck, I hade to buy a new ac**** when Half-life 2 came out, just because I forgot my password, and I didnt remeber the answer I put..(my fault)

they could just send it me, by email, would be alot easlier, so write down u pass, on the box or something if you like me and all you pass are diffenrent.. Because theres no way in hell you get it back, if you forgot you pass and you answer..

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
pwn_teh_noobz said:
Argh, now I'm getting mixed feelings about Steam. It seems like the majority of people don't see problems, but its the few exceptions, like Puddle Jumper, that worry me.

Steam is a sort of a neat concept, but they fail with the execution. Steam is actually somewhat stable now, but I feel as though it eats up more resources than it should. Also, all updates and patches are forced upon you. If Valve releases a patch that screws everything up, you're screwed.

pwn_teh_noobz said:
I just don't know what to do...

You need Steam to play Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source, or other mods. It all comes down to whether or not you want to play the games.

SuperEclipse

~Ichiban~
Awards
Website
www.spirasdestiny.net
Its Half-life 2.. It well worth it, and if you allready played HL2..Get Half-Life 2: Episode 1..Short, but great game and beautiful..

Episode 2 in Dec.. Can't wait for it, I hope its not delayed..lol

S

Shadow Soldier

Rufus_ShinRa said:
I never got virus off Steam..Valve does suck, I hade to buy a new ac**** when Half-life 2 came out

Why is that starred?

And you pretty much solved your own problem. You said not a whole lot of people get problems, except the few people. Id say go to google and find out what kind of problems it causes.

Puddle Jumper

Hobo with a shotgun
Website
www.debasedtothis.org
Rufus_ShinRa said:
Its Half-life 2.. It well worth it, and if you allready played HL2..Get Half-Life 2: Episode 1..Short, but great game and beautiful..

Episode 2 in Dec.. Can't wait for it, I hope its not delayed..lol

All I can say is: Stay offline!

If you want Counter strike too, buy Condition Zero.

pwn_teh_noobz

OKAY DAMN IT! I was bored as hell and I couldn't resist. I downloaded Steam and now I'm just regretting it. Oh well. Scoutzknivez me up.

I'm not a computer expert. Can someone tell me if McAfee and Symantec are good enough antivirus software programs to stop Steam viruses?

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
pwn_teh_noobz said:
I'm not a computer expert. Can someone tell me if McAfee and Symantec are good enough antivirus software programs to stop Steam viruses?

To be honest with you, I've never heard anything about viruses being spread through Steam. Honestly, you should be safe enough in those terms. The problems with Steam are almost all technical in nature, nothing about a virus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back