• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Elder Scrolls

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE GAME

Since the other thread seems like its completely devoted to Skyrim. I figured I should make a new thread to discuss the other games.

So anyway, I am planning on buying Morrowind and Oblivion, but I'm having trouble deciding what console to buy them on. Yes, you read that right, I don't own either yet. :frown:

I know PC may sound like the obvious answer, but my PC isn't too great. I'm getting a new one not too long from now, but it will have Windows 7. Morrowind plays on XP and Oblivion plays on Vista, so I don't know if I could even play them even if I had a good computer.
The problem with getting Morrowind for XBOX is that I would be playing it on my 360, and original XBOX games don't play too well on it. As for Oblivion, I dont think there would be much of a problem at all getting it for 360/PS3, but if the PC version is better I would rather get that.
Oh, and another thing. I'm not used to playing games with a mouse/keyboard. I prefer using a controller, so that's another problem.
Also, I might as well throw this in, should I get Fallout 3 for PC or 360/PS3?
Please tell me the pros and cons for each game/system, I would really appreciate it.

Anyway, besides those questions, this thread is also for discussing The Elder Scroll games in general.

Vanitas666

I choose the Middle Path
Awards
Website
www.youtube.com
Oblivion is better on PC if you have a good pc (I don't) and W7 shouldn't be a problem at all (Atleast I don't think so, sounds kinda dumb)

I don't have Morrowind but Oblivion was the first Elder Scroll game on consol, was it not? That's what I've heard severall times, that's how Oblivion got so much bigger then Morrowind. If this is playable on W7 you should get it and me too for that matter, I've wanted to try it out for a while now.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
I don't have Morrowind but Oblivion was the first Elder Scroll game on consol, was it not? That's what I've heard severall times, that's how Oblivion got so much bigger then Morrowind.
No, I had Morrowind on the Xbox. It was an exlusive I do believe, and Oblivion wasn't. That and the new additions it got are why it was so much more popular. It's also harder when your starting out in Morrowind, the game doesn't hold your hand. Though I still prefer Morrowind's overall feel, myself, and kinda wish Bethesda would revive some of the things from that game. Especially stuff like House Hlalu, etc.

Oh, and another thing. I'm not used to playing games with a mouse/keyboard. I prefer using a controller, so that's another problem.
This is gonna be your biggest problem. I grew up on consoles and tried to make the jump to playing on the PC recently, because PC games are just cheaper and I have better availability to my computer. But unless I'm playing a game with a 360 controller enabled, I just can't play it. There's a world of difference between the two control schemes, and it's not easy to jump from one to the other. So I'd suggest just going with the 360 version. I do believe Morrowind is one of the games that's backwards compatible, so you should be able to play it on the 360 just fine.

THE GAME

The only game I have for PC is Minecraft, and I still can't stand using the keyboard/mouse even for THOSE simple controls. Isn't there some kind of joystick you can get for your PC though? Or just connect your PS3 controller?
And I'm still not sure about the whole Windows 7 deal. It might be a stupid question, but I'm not too good with computers.

Lord Atomsk

I've heard that Windows 7 had all of the bugs worked out of it's compatibility mode, I even installed Diablo II on my mother's Windows 7 Home Premium laptop and it ran flawlessly. Also, I've been using a PS3 controller as a joystick for three months now for games like Ocarina of Time or Street Fighter 2 using MotioninJoy. You should get used to PC controls if you play for about a month, it only took me two weeks to fully ease into them when I started.

The beauty of PC games is that they run based off of specifications which you can choose to improve and often get better visuals than other versions because of that. You can also modify the games if you feel like getting more advanced; In fact, Morrowind came with an editing tool on the PC release.

I don't trust the Xbox for obvious reasons (the single fan in the back of it is a pathetic excuse for ventilation) and almost all cross-platforming titles run smoother for the Xbox or the PC because of the PS3's weird CPU architecture, so I recommend you purchase the titles for the PC if you feel like re-associating yourself with the control scheme, or you could just keep it simple and stick with the Xbox.

THE GAME

Alright then, guess I'm good to go with PC for Morrowind. As for Oblivion and Fallout 3, I might just stick with the 360.

Awards
Definitely go with the PC version of Morrowind, at least. Oblivion is just fine on the Xbox, but you gotta go PC for Morrowind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back