• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lit ► The Tale of Genji

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katsuno_Hitomi

Possibly the first novel ever written, certainly the first written by a Japanese woman, the Tale of Genji has been around for almost a millenium. Not quite as long as Homer's stuff, but much longer than the works of Jane Austen.

Anyways, I'm only on the second chapter, but I'm already in love with this book. The Royall Tyler translation has a lot of helpful notes that puts some of the stuff that would normally go over my head in perspective.

The plot is essentially this: Genji, son of the Emporer by a low ranking concubine, basically romantically pursues many women, including his step-mother(Eww) before he dies. His "son" also follows in the family tradition.

This is by no means an easy read, but it is definitly worth the time.

Enchanted Rose

worst behaviour
Yeah, it's brilliant, I read it a few years back. I'd completely forgotten how much I loved it.

I would re-read it, but it's quite long, as I remember.

Hahaha, interesting that you would compare it to Homer and Jane Austen, it does occupy the middle ground. Some of it is serious, and sometimes it just seems like an episode of the Hills or something. I love Genji, he's such a man whore.

Katsuno_Hitomi

Hi. I think you should really post something related to the topic, rather than just post around like crazy. The moderater's don't take kindly to that sort of thing.

I have come to the conclusion that Genji is somewhat of a pedophile after reading the "Young Murasaki" chapter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back