• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Vanilla Apples {One-Shot, Riku/Kairi Oriented}

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolviana

I wrote this last month, and it's also posted at fanfiction.net. I wanted to write a dark revenge story, every since reading The Cask Of Amontillado (Edgar Allen Poe, a genuis!) in English class. Please enjoy.

------------

Revenge… it’s a sweet little thing, is it not? Before I had never really thought about it that way, never having a reason to commit it. But now, things were different. I had an honest-to-God reason. I hated Sora. I hated that man… no, he’s not a man, really, just a stupid little boy. I don’t understand how I could have considered that bastard a friend. Even the term ‘acquaintance’ is too good for him.

I could hear and feel the familiar tropical wind brush past me, carrying along with it the smell of fish and salt. I was back home… but I had never imagined coming home in this fashion, or for this reason. In fact, I had imagined never coming home at all. Strange, how things work out. My original plans were to stay away, far away, as I was unwilling to fall into the sick trap this island presented. I knew, that if I came home, the nostalgia would suck me in, relentless in it’s grip. I would be stuck here, my heart longing to fly free once more, but the rest of me would keep me caged up in this hell hole for the rest of my life. Five years ago, I was very close to that fate; but darkness smiled on me, and I was released from the prison I had been trapped in for so damn long.

I’m not saying I made a good choice, but its in the past, and I would be a fool for trying to change history.

The sand sank downwards under the pressure of my boots as I moved forward, towards my destination. I was both loathing and adoring the moment when my revenge for Kairi would be done. I knew she wouldn’t understand; I wouldn’t expect her to. But it was necessary, for Sora had to pay for his transgression against her.

I watched placidly as the light from her bedroom window extinguished. She must be tired then, to go to bed so early. The sun had just started to bleed into the horizon. The evening light that shone from it was almost intolerable, for me anyway. I found myself fingering a black strip of textile I kept hidden in a pocket of my coat.

I couldn’t linger much longer, I had things that screamed to be done. I made way up the winding, wooden staircase that led to her home, my weight causing the splinters that ran through it to creak. That smell that the wind carried with it… it was no longer of fish and salt, but of vanilla, with a faint, almost undetectable undertone of apples. The residence in front of me was most definitely Kairi’s. For five, long years, I had remembered that smell, and my fondness for it hadn’t subsided in the least.

I raised a gloved hand, preparing to knock on her door, ready to see her smiling face, for perhaps the last time. No such look of happiness greeted me, she did not answer. I waited, but there was no elated Kairi, standing blissfully in the doorway. How deep a sleep she must have been in, to not hear my poundings on her entry.

I looked downwards at the doorknob, finding it unlocked. I was a little surprised Kairi had disregarded such a habitual chore, but I did not look farther into it. All it meant that I would have to a walk a little ways further to meet her.

I peered around, her house looking exactly as it had five years ago. The chairs around her dinner table were still in their same places, the same curtains hung from the windows. The same books lay hidden on a shelf, the same collage of seashells adorned the wall. And… he was not here. Just as I had suspected. Sora was not here. White hot anger licked my insides… he hadn’t kept his promise. He wasn’t taking care of Kairi. He’d left her all alone. I told him to take care of her… and yet, he’s nowhere to be found. The son of a bitch had abandoned her… this was the reason, my honest-to-God reason, for revenge. I would make him pay, I would make him suffer greatly for his sin.

I took the same hallway to her bedroom, lightly pushing open the door. I saw her, laying there, dead to the world as she slept soundly in her bed. Her day clothes were still being worn. She hadn’t bothered to change into her pajamas. How tired she must’ve been… I scowled, wondering what reason Sora had for leaving her alone, for causing her to wear herself out like this.

Perhaps it would’ve been easier, had I done it whilst she slept. But I couldn’t; I wanted to hear Kairi’s voice. It had been five years since I’d heard it; five, long, torturous years. And I just wanted to hear it. One last time.

I strode silently to her bedside, crouching on my knees, leaning my face in close to her own.

“Kairi…” I whispered, my voice almost inaudible.

The girl began to stir, and I stood straight up, looking down on her as she began to arise sleepily. Her eyes suddenly strayed to my tall form, and recognition dawned upon her features.

“R-Riku?” she stammered, apparently at rather a loss for words. I nodded curtly, still staring at her. So many years… and yet, not much about her had changed. Her frame was still small, though her hair was a little longer. Her face was brimming with girlish youth, and those eyes… oh, God, those eyes. They were so beautiful, so full of life.

Kairi stood right in front of me, matching my stare. Suddenly, when she made sure it was me, not some prank played on her by one of the local boys, she wrapped me in a warm embrace, the likes of which I had never felt before. I returned, circling my arms around her waist.

“Riku…” she said quietly, her face pressed against my chest, taking in my smell. I became aware of the fact that tears were streaming down her face.

“It’s been a long time, Kairi.”

“Yeah… yeah, it has… Riku…” she gripped me tighter, still muttering my name under her breath like it was sacred.

“Did you miss me… that much?” I asked, resting my chin on the top of her head.

“Of course I did. I thought about you every day. And Sora, too…”
“Yeah… Sora,” I spat the name out bitterly, though Kairi, in her emotional state, did not seem to catch it.

I knew I had to do it, and I had to do it soon, or my cowardice would rear it’s ugly head. “Kairi…” I breathed as quietly as possible. “Do you hear me?” The girl nodded, still not withdrawing her head from my chest. “Good. Listen closely, okay? Sora… your not going to see him again.”

Kairi looked up at me, eyes wide with shock and horror. “What-? Why? Is he-!”

“No, he is not dead. But listen to me, Kairi… Sora has done a terrible thing to you… and he has to pay.”
Kairi shook her head wildly, strands of strawberry hair flailing in every direction. “No, Sora hasn’t done a thing, I haven’t see him-”

“Exactly. Kairi, this is a transgression that I can’t forgive. It’s a sin that he can not atone for. No matter what. He has to suffer for what he’s done to you. He has to suffer for leaving you all alone.”

As I thought, Kairi did not understand. I tore my eyes from her gaze and continued to hold her.

“But it’s okay,” I said. “I’m going to make him pay; I’m going to make everything alright.”

Kairi mumbled something that I took for an agreement.

“Now, listen Kairi, very closely. I have something to tell you, something I’ve wanted to say ever since I’ve met you. I know… our last meeting has been brief, and I apologize for that… but Sora needs to pay now. So…” my voice trailed off as I reached a hand into the confines of my trench coat, withdrawing Soul Eater from one of the largest inner pockets. Kairi, still sobbing against my shoulder, conveniently did not notice the weapon. Taking one last look at her, I thrust the weapon through her midsection. She drew a sharp intake of breath, but did not scream. Her blood began to flow freely, spilling onto my clothes and the floor, creating a scarlet pool. I stroked her hair with my left hand, the hand not grasping my sword’s hilt. I extracted the blade from her stomach, sliding it out from her flesh. She crumbled against me, and I held her standing in my arms.

I’d finally done it. My revenge was complete, by taking away the thing Sora cared about most. I cared about Kairi too, more than anything, so I knew she had to die. It sounds cruel, but it’s not. She’d been suffering so much, Sora had done so much wrong to her. She didn’t deserve it, and Sora… well, he deserved to see her bloody form. I dearly wished I could see his face when he found out about her death.

“Kairi…” I knew she was dying, but she had to live long enough to hear this. “Kairi, I love you. Do you hear me?” I asked as her breathing became more and more shallow. “I did this for you, all for you.”

I held her a little closer, and kissed her softly as she took her last breath. I repeated the words over and over, so that I knew that she heard me.

“I love you.” Kairi slid from my arms and to the floor, leaving a trail of blood against my coat. I kneeled down to her prone form, and dragged a hand across her cheek.

“Promise me that you’ll rest in peace, okay?”

No answer came, and I knew it was all over with. I stood up and strode out of the room, not a drop of remorse coursing through my soul. Outside, it was now raining. Maybe the world was crying for it’s fallen daughter. I sure hoped it was.

Kairi, wherever you are now, I know for a fact that your alright. No one can hurt you any longer, not like he did. And Sora… wherever you are… may you spend eternity in hell.

Wolviana

Yeah, it's just a one-shot, and thank you for reading it! I was thinking about making it into three parts, with the second one about Sora's reaction, and the third about his confrontation with Riku, but I think I'll leave it as it is.

Lorwen_ShinRa

AIYEE! Wonderful as always, Wolviana-san. You're writing always has so much description and depth to it...I love it...
That was very unexpected, what Riku did to Kairi. Go him! I mean...Poor Kairi...*is shot by Wolvy*

darkriku14

beginning and end
i liked it @_@ i like reading Edgar Allen Poe stuff

DEATH TO ALL!!!! MWAHAHAHHAAA....

aha....<< >> *cough*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back