• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

ZE LITHOGRAPH

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Professor Ven

The Tin Man
Awards
HOW TO MAKE A LITHOGRAPH
tl;dr the easiest artsy thing ~<3

Did this for my Art Appreciation Final in like Fall '10. Most fun project I've ever done, and it wasn't too difficult or too easy to begin with. Also was very satisfied with my work :3

So I'm putting this up as a mini-tut for anyone who wants to make these!
and-to-show-off-my-Ventus-linoleum-thingy-for-lithograph-;w;

:Materials:

1 Pencil
1 Black Ink Pen
1 Black Sharpie
2-3 Sheets of Tracing Paper
2-3 Pieces of Linoleum
Linoleum Cutter

Spoiler Spoiler Show

This is crucial. If it's blurry, (or anything else that is horrible to a picture) this will have a possible effect on the outcome of ze lithograph. It can be anything you want, really, though.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Just use Photoshop to change the picture you want to Stampy, then adjust it to fit accordingly in both the filter stuff and the size of the picture if it is bigger than a single sheet of copy paper (which it probably won't be :X).

Print it out, and get some handy-dandy tracing paper, a pencil with a good eraser, a nice black ink pen, and a black Sharpie. Encasing my project area with a desk lamp's light helped me.

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Basically you're going to lay your tracing paper on top of the printed-out stamp (hurr durr >_>), and trace it in pencil, starting with the outlines first, then filling the inner areas with lots of lead.

Flip it over, and trace in pencil over what should be a mirror/backwards image of the original stamp'd photo. Once you finish in pencil, set the traced-on paper, the second side facing up, on top of the linoleum. Whip out the black ink pen, and trace over the pencil outline, and fill the inner areas in. [BE CAREFUL, BECAUSE YOU CAN TEAR THE PAPER IF VIOLENT ENOUGH]

The pen should bleed through the paper well enough to where, if you traced correctly, should be an exact mirrored/backwards replica of the original stamp'd photo on the linoleum. Take the black sharpie and carefully color only over the pen portrait - STAY INSIDE THE LINES! :D

Spoiler Spoiler Show

After putting the finishing touches on with your black Sharpie, it's time to get out your carving tool and gleefully shovel-stab all of the non-Sharpie'd areas of the linoleum - BE CAREFUL AS YOU CAN SLICE UP THE BOTTOM OF IT >:C

(Different carving heads are used for different lengths/widths of slices - keep this in mind when using it.)

And once there is a noticeable height between the surface of the Sharpie'd part and the quarry of your expertise digging, you're pretty much done with it all!

Just get the paint color of your choosing, some small paint roller brushes, and average copy paper and you can has your own lithograph! :p

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Spoiler Spoiler Show

Sorry about the glare/shiny on them - they're in the laminated slip-the-paper-inside-of things and I'm never taking the pictures out of them. I did about four-five prints, these two were the ones that really turned out the best for me.​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back