• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Humans: Special or Animals?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
We're special animals.

Dammit, you stole my answer.

There's no denying the amazing things mankind has achieved, but

1. any member of the kingdom Animalia, comprising multicellular organisms that have a well-defined shape and usually limited growth, can move voluntarily, actively acquire food and digest it internally, and have sensory and nervous systems that allow them to respond rapidly to stimuli: some classification schemes also include protozoa and certain other single-celled eukaryotes that have motility and animallike nutritional modes.

According to the basic, biological definition of "animal", there's no denying we are such.

Even if we have "souls" or anything of the sort, it doesn't somehow make us not animals. Just means that we're again, special.There's no shame to be had in it, the fact that we are animals does not in any way change who we are.

Last edited:

Home bound

Just Caaaalm Down
∞;4129223 said:
Um, excuse me?.

If you would take the time to just read the two following sentences, you'd have a better understanding of that statement I was also referring to zion's comment.

Ophan

Airman
Awards
Website
zionphnx.deviantart.com
We don't ignore our instincts. We don't have instincts. We are not born with any empirical knowledge that leads to our survival. We have drives and needs such as hunger and sleep. Humans have a tremendous capacity to learn and adapt, which is why we have conquered the world's landscape. People are able to not act on impulses because of the social norms they've learned. Even if a person doesn't act on their impulses, they still have a discrepancy between their attitude and behavior. Sure, humans are animals in the anatomical and physiological sense, but we are much more than that. We have the ability to think.

Not only do humans remember, we are able to predict the future and calculate consequences. We remember the past, live in the present, and anticipate for the future. Everything we do now is a step towards our future. That is the difference that seperates humans from animals.

That would be the sociologist argument, but the argument never indulged
on the separation of humans and animals. Your saying that human acts are
a complex pattern of behaviors, but that is acknowledged with other animal
species that have inborn knowledge. Why do tigers swim? Why do birds fly?
Why do dogs chase cats? The argument you are making shares a tremendous
hole, and when was it that i said we are born with empirical knowledge. That
doesn't even make sense.....the empirical knowledge of human survival would
be what we are taught from our elders, and the knowledge each generation
has left behind for us. What makes you think that an animal doesn't think....?
What makes you think animals don't remember things from past, present, and
that they don't anticipate the future?

Phoenix

Legendary Member
Awards
Is this even a question? We're mammals, therefore we're animals. We're special, but every single other organism is special in its own way.

Raz

i'm nobody
Staff member
Awards
We're animals, no way around it. Very special animals, but we all go back to being made up of the same stuff as everything else.

bLaXiiCan?

We're animals. Animals can think. Thats why they have a brain right? Ours is just bigger and more evolved

New2Ya

I'm lost...
Is this even a question? We're mammals, therefore we're animals. We're special, but every single other organism is special in its own way.
Many religious believe we're not animals, because that would mean the theory of evolution would be true.

And then their whole faith would be crushed. Poor people sticking their head in the sand. :53:

Dexel

Beyond hope
lol religion.

Anyways, I believe that we are animals. "Special" animals, yes, but we're still animals. Sure, we can create and destroy in ways that any other animal could not, but we're just the same in the end and are made of the same stuff. We all can think and remember past, present, and future, but many other animals can do that; we just tend to linger on it more than they usually do. We can communicate in sounds and gestures, but so do many other animals, and some even show the capacity to learn some of our speech. We still need the same basics they need: food, living space, air, and shelter.

We fancy ourselves above animals when we're just the same as them: when we started out, all we had was knowledge on how to use and make simple tools, the need to feed, reproduce, and protect our own until they can protect themselves. All of those still linger to this day, as well as the chain of command and each person plays a certain role, or niche, within our communities.

So, yes, things considered, we can be considered "special", but we're still biologically animals.

Last edited:

AndyCloseEyes

Enjoying the fact that I'm better
Everyone is an animal and everyone is a one-of-a-kind special being. Conservatives think "humans above all", but there is no particular species that is.

What is everyone's definition of human?

I think it's someone who is able to feel and who is able to have common sense. Two things this "community" (if you could call it that) is severely lacking in.

Last edited:

Sir Jecht

Pro Assassino Attivista
Awards
Many religious believe we're not animals, because that would mean the theory of evolution would be true.

And then their whole faith would be crushed. Poor people sticking their head in the sand. :53:
I've talked to some Christians that acknowledge that they are indeed animals but they feel God loves their kind more or that he gave them a purpose thus they are special. Basically God made us special animals, which to the ones I talked to isn't evolution but creationism.

Donna da Ragione

What is everyone's definition of human?

I think it's someone who is able to feel and who is able to have common sense.

Humanity is a species so it is defined within biological lines. So you're wrong, unless you really mean "sentient", in which case you're still wrong. Sentience is not paired with sympathy or common sense.

Two things this "community" (if you could call it that) is severely lacking in.

I totally agree dude. I mean, I expected everyone to share my views and be unconditionally nice to me on the internet, but they didn't. :[

AndyCloseEyes

Enjoying the fact that I'm better
Humanity is a species so it is defined within biological lines. So you're wrong, unless you really mean "sentient", in which case you're still wrong. Sentience is not paired with sympathy or common sense.

That's what I mean, sorry.

In that case, what is your take on it?

I totally agree dude. I mean, I expected everyone to share my views and be unconditionally nice to me on the internet, but they didn't. :[

"Everyone"? There's not much of anyone to speak of. The things here are rude by default and can not tolerate views of any kind. Why should anyone expect their view to be shared? When someone suggests something that is healthy, and that they're supposed to already know anyway, and then they refuse to hear it, that is a lack of common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back