• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► A Major Life Decision

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Hi KHI. I've never really posted in the Help Section before, but I feel I really need the help because my friends aren't helping me at all.

So I'm 19 years old, second year in college, and I have no idea what I want to do. I'm currently a Psychology major but I find myself bored to death with it. When I was deciding what I would major in during high school, I always said I'd do Psychology because I like helping people and understanding how the mind works, but that is the excuse everybody has when they decide Psychology and don't have a main goal with it.

When I was a senior and my college counselor sat down with me and asked me who I wanted to help, I didn't have a clue. I'm bad with children, teens don't listen to me, adults don't like taking advise, and the elderly are over their issues.

Abused people would depress me, depressed people would depress me, inmates scare me, and criminals might want to kill me or I'd go crazy.

So I thought, what about if I become a college counselor as well? I'm good at referring people to things and guiding them in directions, but I figured that would be me taking a road of convenience and I'd rather not be stuck working in a high school or college for the rest of my life, watching as I direct future doctors and lawyers and big movie directors to their fame while I'm stuck making 40k a year with no amount of happiness.

I also thought through what I'd do once I graduate with my Bachelors degree. I can't really have a job in the field of Psychology until I get my Masters, and I can't practice until I get my Doctorate.

And I don't mind going to school to get all of my degrees, but I do mind that I might not be able to if I can't find the money to pay for it, and I don't see the economy getting better any time soon.

After debating over all of that, I decided to reevaluate my interests and found that the ideal job I want to have in the Psychology field is to be a Media Researcher because I have always loved the media world in general.

Then my school had to taint my decision by offering Digital Film Production as a new major starting next semester. This had always been my second choice when applying to schools. If I wasn't admitted into their Psychology program, I'd apply to their Communications or Film school. The university I ended up going to didn't have a film school and after my college counselor convinced me to give Psychology a go, I didn't switch into their Communications program.

And now they have Digital Film Production and it opened an entirely new can of worms.

I love writing, and filming, and editing film, and storyboarding, and this major offers all of that and it would work well with my minor which is Art History. (And I'd major in Art History if I didn't already know I could use any degree to become a major art critic or curator of a museum)

Now, I have said all of that stuff, but what do I need help with KHI? I need help with somebody giving me the pros and cons of being in Psychology versus Film. And I need some comforting advice that can help me find my way before the end of this semester.

L u c i f

Website
minoru-k.deviantart.com
Do what feels right, in the end you have to live for yourself and live the life that you want.
Life is about taking risks and making the most of it.
If you're stuck with a job you dislike then you will most likely not enjoy life as much.
Pursue your dreams. Even if in the end, you end up failing.
Because the most exciting part of life, is the journey you take to accomplish those goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back