• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

An Idea for KH3's Gameplay System

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

CyanSwett

Hi people

I have been thinking about this a lot during the last days... Because, I think KH3 deserves a very good gameplay system that surpasses all the previous ones and makes it unique and memorable, while making it to remember past systems, of course.

Well, here is my idea. In a few words, it's a mix between [KHI-KHII-Days] system and [BbS-Re:Coded-3D] system.

Ok, this first part is just my opinion. I really enjoyed the firsts gameplay systems (KHI-KHII essentially) because it felt... how to say it... more "free" in terms of attacks and magics. The newer system in my opinion is very good and entertains a lot the editing of your command deck for strategies, but I felt that it limited a little the "free feeling" I had with the previous one. Example: I hated to be limited to just 1 use of Firaga or Blizzaga and have to wait until I could use it again...

So, here is my idea for KH3's Gameplay.

I thought that this game could have a "3 side" command board. Remember in KH2 when we pressed "Left" and changed the command board? Well, this is exaclty the same. But instead of 2, there would be 3 sides. Also, the "Magic Bar" would come back, for us to use the "basic magic" commands freely (Fire, Blizzard, Thunder, Aero, Reflect, Magnet, Cure, etc.) That way, we can use the "Basic magics" most frequently. In the other hand, old commands such as: Summon, Limits, Items, Change Party would come back, too. And obviously, the well known ATTACK command would still be there. I suspect SE would implemment new "commands" for KH3. The different thing about this 3 side command board would be the "3rd side". In this 3rd side we would have a "Command Deck" like in last titles, with the only difference that "Basic Magics" wouldn't be there, so in this command deck, we would have more powerfull techniques such as, for example, Tornado, Firaga Burst, Triple Plasma, Zero Gravity-ra-ga-za, Conditions magics (Sleep, Confuse, Poison, etc.), Meteor, Deep Freeze, Fire Windmill, Dark Break, Thunder Dive, etc etc etc.
Also, the normal ATTACK command, should be modified as it was in KHI and KHII, with improvements in combos, final combos, etc... With abilities gained in the game. I'm a little bored with the same normal combos in all the game.

Obviously, the Block, Jump, Slide, Glide and all those derived commands would be maintained, as well as the new amazing Flow Motion feature.

The "L1" button, the one of the shortcuts, could be useful with ANY command (basic magics, items, specific command decks, etc).

In a more graphic way, I will show you how I think it could be:

COMMANDS (We press "Left" and we change the command board)
-- Attack
- Magic
- Items
- [New feature]

COMMANDS (We press "Left" and we change the command board)
-- Attack
- Summon
- Change Party
- Limits

COMMANDS (We press "Left" and we go to the shortcut of the command deck)
-- Attack
- Dark Firaga
- Time Splicer
- Break Time
- [Some New Command]
(And we can rotate)

In order to go back to the 1st command board, we just press "Right" two times and that's it!

I think this gameplay system would be amazing and we would have so many options and battle tactics. I think it would be perfect for KH3 in order to finalize this Saga in terms of gameplay.

What do you think? Tell me your opinions please! I'm interested to read what you think. Any suggestion? change? Discuss.

Last edited:

billyzanesucks

I don't see a need for an attack command. I'd rather press Triangle to activate any command and X to attack.

What I want most is to have only the basic magic list, and combine the magic with attack combos or other forms of magic to create more powerful spells (Firaga + Balloonga = Firaga Burst, Fire + Blizzard + attack = Icebreaker). It would make the player feel more involved, but I'm not yet sure how it would work practically.

CyanSwett

What I'm referring to when I talk about the ATTACK command, is the typical combo attack that we have always used with "X", I'm not saying it should be counted as a "Triangle" command deck, it's an "X" command, just as Birth By Sleep or 3D.

I didn't understand how we could "combine" fire + blizzard + attack to form Icebreaker... could you explain it better?

Awards
So you want to waste time going through a command menu while heartless rip your face off kk

billyzanesucks

I didn't understand how we could "combine" fire + blizzard + attack to form Icebreaker... could you explain it better?
To chain several moves together in battle, like in CoM. Use a shoulder button to chain a command and press X to activate a powerful technique.

CyanSwett

So you want to waste time going through a command menu while heartless rip your face off kk

Aren't you exagerating a little? What waste of time are you talking about? It would take no time in changing the command boards, just press 2 times Left and you are done... It's awesome how some people complicate with nothing. If it worked well in KH2, I don't find it a problem in a next game...

theirlosthearts

Awards
Aren't you exagerating a little? What waste of time are you talking about? It would take no time in changing the command boards, just press 2 times Left and you are done... It's awesome how some people complicate with nothing. If it worked well in KH2, I don't find it a problem in a next game...

Sometimes on the internet, just ignore an move on.

Anyways, I like your ideas a lot. I thought of one thing a couple weeks (or was it months, I dunno) ago that might improve it a little bit. Assign two shoulder buttons to activate separate shortcut lists, and you have eight commands at your disposal. You wouldn't even have the same scrolling through the deck you would have with the command deck. That would just be a nice supplement that could appease the "action menu sucks, command deck rules" people while not limiting the gameplay in the way that the command deck does. Your ideas are great ^_^

Awards
No, I'm not exaggerating, (though sorry if I sounded a bit harsh) The problem is that cycling though the menus using the D-pad can be cumbersome. Imagine you're trying to deal with a boss that is constantly in your face, you'll have to go through those menus if you want to cast a certain spell, or if you want to use a certain item. The shortcut is helpful, but you can only set so many things there. think about it, have you ever wanted to use a certain spell that wasn't in the shortcut? What do you have to do? You have to scroll down and go to magic (which eliminates your ability to ATTACK) then you have to scroll down to the magic to use it... ONCE.

Decrith

I kinda like the idea of having multiple menus reminds me a lot of FF back in the day. Although it might get too complicated. Say magic and items should be included in the command deck menu. I think two menus would be enough. The first being the command deck menu we have right now, and second a summon menu. As for the Limit, I think one would suffice and just press a combo of button (L1 + R1) for it to activate, seeing as most of the good skills are already in the command deck.

theirlosthearts

Awards
No, I'm not exaggerating, (though sorry if I sounded a bit harsh) The problem is that cycling though the menus using the D-pad can be cumbersome. Imagine you're trying to deal with a boss that is constantly in your face, you'll have to go through those menus if you want to cast a certain spell, or if you want to use a certain item. The shortcut is helpful, but you can only set so many things there. think about it, have you ever wanted to use a certain spell that wasn't in the shortcut? What do you have to do? You have to scroll down and go to magic (which eliminates your ability to ATTACK) then you have to scroll down to the magic to use it... ONCE.

Like I said, two shortcut lists, and BAM, you have as much available as you would with the command deck. The command deck would be no better than two shortcut lists, so if you don't like either of those, what control scheme would you like? The action menu with two shortcut lists gives you eight slots. The command deck gives you eight slots (eventually). The action menu allows a full range of interactivity in game (like using certain spells to do certain things) and allows the dev team to be as creative as they like. The command deck removes most of the interactivity (unless you want to pause and change you deck a lot) and oversimplifies. With the action menu, you always had a chance in battle. With the command deck, your capabilities are limited to your command deck. Most people like seeing flashy things via the command deck and don't understand that commands like those could work with the action menu as well (you could limit which commands would show up in a certain sub-menu to keep from being overwhelmed), and hey, eight slots on the shortcut list is just as good as the command deck. Everybody gets what they want. Why wouldn't it work?

Was it days where you could change your shortcuts during gameplay?

KHJEDIKNIGHT

Awards
I think this is mostly a good idea, but I don't think we're going to see flowmotion return. It was something unique to 3D, just as Drive Forms were unique to KHII, and D-Links were unique to BbS.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
In order to go back to the 1st command board, we just press "Right" two times and that's it!
Pressing right would take too long in the game. Why not just have it on a loop. You can keep pressing left or right and you can keep scrolling and make your way back to the start.

Like;
Attack -> Summon -> Command -> Attack.

There, you'd just keep pressing right and you'd loop around.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Pressing right would take too long in the game. Why not just have it on a loop. You can keep pressing left or right and you can keep scrolling and make your way back to the start.

Like;
Attack -> Summon -> Command -> Attack.

There, you'd just keep pressing right and you'd loop around.

This would work well. I wonder if there would be a way to do that without using the d-pad so it wouldn't even cut down on mobility. Maybe something like KH2's right analog stick method?

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
This would work well. I wonder if there would be a way to do that without using the d-pad so it wouldn't even cut down on mobility. Maybe something like KH2's right analog stick method?
Wasn't that KH1's? Cause KH2 used the camera there.

soraalam1

This is kind of how I envisioned it. I'd say it's a mix of command deck and original command together if you think about it.

COMMANDS

Attack (X)

Skills/Magic (L3) -(HOLD)-> Cure (X), Ballonga (Square) Fire (R1), Blitz (R2) <--- All customizable Deck w/limit

Items (R3) -(HOLD)-> Potion (X), Esuna (Square), Elixir (Triangle) <---- All customizable Deck w/limit

*While your holding down L3 or R3 a menu extends (sort of how the magic menu extends to the right when you press x on it in KH1/2 and when you stop holding L3/R3 the menu collapses) that says the commands on the right of the (HOLD).

theirlosthearts

Awards
This is kind of how I envisioned it. I'd say it's a mix of command deck and original command together if you think about it.

COMMANDS

Attack (X)

Skills/Magic (L3) -(HOLD)-> Cure (X), Ballonga (Square) Fire (R1), Blitz (R2) <--- All customizable Deck w/limit

Items (R3) -(HOLD)-> Potion (X), Esuna (Square), Elixir (Triangle) <---- All customizable Deck w/limit

*While your holding down L3 or R3 a menu extends (sort of how the magic menu extends to the right when you press x on it in KH1/2 and when you stop holding L3/R3 the menu collapses) that says the commands on the right of the (HOLD).

Hold down R3 with your thumb and then use a different finger to press one of the face buttons? That sounds kinda difficult. Maybe use the d-pad for R3 and use the face buttons for L3?

arcticfox8

Well, after reading all of the ideas, I think a solution would be having a command deck, but also having 2 shotcut menus. That way you could use 16 or so abilities fairly easily. If you don't like one of them, don't use that one. I also would think that Limit would be on one of the command lists, and so would Drive Forms. But iunno, I'll play it regardless of how it plays.

theirlosthearts

Awards
Well, after reading all of the ideas, I think a solution would be having a command deck, but also having 2 shotcut menus. That way you could use 16 or so abilities fairly easily. If you don't like one of them, don't use that one. I also would think that Limit would be on one of the command lists, and so would Drive Forms.

Still would cut down on gameplay capabilities from a dev perspective and wouldn't really solve any of the issues of the command deck. I personally wouldn't want a souped up command deck, but:
But iunno, I'll play it regardless of how it plays.

^ That's da truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back