• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

At no point did a Square character have a meaningful interaction with an original villain

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

leonidus

This is just a bit of an analysis. Think about it for a second.

KH1 had characters mostly stuck in TT, with the exception of Cloud (and Sephiroth if you count him) in OC. So, no potential there as Ansem SoD was the only one villain. You could also say that they missed the Xemnas confrontation despite being present in HB at the time but that was a secret boss so let's leave it be.

KH2 had a lot of possibilities for this, especially during the Org XIII attacks. Yet, interaction is absent. Squall is fighting with Sora to defend the gates yet mysteriously vanishes when Org XIII themselves show up, only to just mention them right after they disappear. You would also expect the myriad of characters present in the war part to get in some kind of contact with Org XIII (especially with the powerhouse that is Sephiroth being there) but nope. Auron also conveniently exits the party just as the gang meets Demyx.

BBS and Days had little to no Square characters present so they are out of the picture but DDD features the TWEWY gang. Now, you could argue here that characters like Neku or Beat had some interaction with YMX like fighting him or yelling at him but think about how meaningful that was. Neku yells at YMX and fights him, YMX doesn't respond and look! Sora falls asleep and we see nothing. Beat also yells at MX calling him a "liar" or whatever yet YMX ignored the shit out of him, barely acknowledging he was there at all. We hear that YMX manipulated them but all of that was essentially off-screen, away from the player.

Really, I understand why this was done. I just don't like that it is done. While we can leave out most of the games, KH2 and DDD had the most potential and used none. Disney worlds and characters are also more and more disconnected to the main plot so it is certainly a symptom of a bigger issue. It's like we have three segments of the games - the "original" segment, the Disney segment and the Square segment. Yet, instead of all of them intertwining and complementing each other to create one whole, for the most part they each live in their own semi-independent bubble and most of what occurs and resolves in each one is pretty much self-contained. Now that, I feel, is a problem.

What are your thoughts about this and would you like it changed in KHIII?

Rolands

It's not just Square characters. With a few notable exceptions, the Disney Characters haven't been very important since KH1. Kingdom Hearts has eschewed them for the sake of its own characters, which has both benefits and disadvantages.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Yeah it's a shame that none of the FF characters had a chance to interacr with any of the original villians of the series

I also agree that the FF, disney, and original segments of the series don't seem as connected as they should

kupo1121

We are Moogle! Hear us...kupo?
Awards
As Rolands said, it's not just the FF characters but also the Disney ones as well. I mean, besides the PoH, Maleficent and Pete (plus MDG and Yensid) the others have had barely any contact with the OC villains of the series. Given the sheer ratio of Disney to FF characters is hugely in Disney's favor, I'm not shocked they didn't really interact. I mean, we've seen (or heard of) FF-Disney interactions (Cloud/Auron Hades, Gullwings Maleficent) but barely any FF-OC interactions.

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
Honestly, they don't need to. The FF characters are just cameos. They aren't necessary at this point. They have no real need to associate with these characters.

Do you just go out and talk to every Tom, Dick and Harry?

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
The original characters don't have half as much character as the Disney/FF/TWEWY characters anyway.. Their interactions could only be limited in their entertainment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back