• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Barely Beating

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruki

Welcome to Barely Beating. This is a Kingdom Hearts fanfic. There are no cannon characters in it except for maybe one or two. Most of them are created by me. I hope you enjoy it. All the names are Japanese, if you want to look up the meanings. I know this died before. It was a mistake on my part. I've got this chap and the next ready. I'll probably post the next tommorow or the day after but no later than Monday.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ren stands facing Kirai across the barren desert, the wind blowing sand into his face. His dark blue hair is pushed back from his face, revealing angry blue eyes. Kirai laughs maniacally at Ren, his spiky red-gold hair pushed into his face, casting it into shadow from the fiercely burning desert sun. He holds both his hands out to his sides and calls Keyblades to him from bursts of infernal light then swings them both to bare in front of him. “This is the end,” Kirai menaces.

Ren holds his hands out pulling two Keyblades from bursts of light hardened by anger. He rushes at Kirai and sweeps low with both Keyblades forcing him to jump then lands a hard kick on his chest knocking Kirai to the ground. Kirai rolls backwards and to his feet before slashing in a quick one-two slash. Ren ducks under the first slash and parries the second with his left Keyblade. He drags the right Keyblade around and drives it into Kirai’s chest before slamming him to the ground with his shoulder. Kirai falls to the ground, his breathing is labored as he glares up at Ren’ai. “You’re wrong.” Ren disagrees, “This will last forever. There will always be one of us to stop you.” Ren draws both Keyblades together and drives them down in Kirai’s chest. Kirai’s body is surrounded in light. As it eats away at him he chokes out, “You cannot lock the darkness away.”

Twenty years later...

“Ren’ai!”

Ren sits up to the call of his name and shakes his head clear of the fog of sleep. His mother calls him again and he shouts back, “I’m awake!” He tries to recall the dream he was having. A spiky haired boy with a Keyblade fighting a man in a black cloak with red swords.

“Ren’ai, come down and eat with the family for once. You know what today is, right? So come down,” his father queries from just outside his door.

“Yeah, just a moment let me get dressed,” Ren mutters and swings off the top bunk and drops to the floor with a soft thud. A moment later he steps into the kitchen dressed in a simple white t-shirt and white sweats that look gray in comparison to his bright blonde-gold hair and clear blue eyes.

“At least you remembered to dress properly,” Kea mutters to the air. She glares at him from under her cherry red bangs.

“Do you think I’m excited about this?” Ren replies quietly to his sister.

“Does it matter? You get to go before me,” she hisses at him as he takes his place at the table, his father beaming proudly and his mother looking concerned but happy. Ren groans inwardly and starts in on his plate in front of him.

“So, what do you want to find in the Rouhi?” his father asks.

Ren looks up from his scrambled eggs and shrugs, “I dunno.”

“There has to be something?” his mother presses.

Ren takes another bite of eggs then shrugs, “I guess I’d want to find something to fit my name.”

Everyone stops and stares at Ren, after a moment his sister breaks the silence, “A good goal, don’t you think so, mom?”

“Yeah, honey. It’s a good goal,”she murmurs quietly to nobody in particular.

“I should hurry up. I wanna stop by a friend’s house on the way,” Ren announces and stands up to leave.

Kea jumps up and clasps her arms around Ren, hugging him. “Be careful,” Kea whispers.

Ren detaches her and smiles before walking out the door. He pauses and looks around at the light brown buildings and sandy streets before taking a turn down a back street and running for his sanctuary. He takes another turn before coming into an empty district of houses with a court in the middle of them. A dry fountain lies crumbling in the center and a brown haired girl sits on the edge staring at Ren with hurt, brown eyes. Ren walks up to her and waves, “Hey, Ai. What’s up?”

“You don’t get it, do you? You think all this is a game,” Aijin accuses turning away with tears in her eyes.

“What? I didn’t say anything but hi! What’s wrong?” Ren panics, confused by the situation.

“I need something other than hi. You always say one thing but do another, don’t you ever be anything but a fake?” Ai shouts at him, her expression both hurt and wanting to hurt.

“What did I say?!” Ren shouts back, anger rising in his voice.

“You say you care about me but you only look after yourself,” Ai hisses at Ren.

“I’m here aren’t I?!” Ren shouts, gesturing around at the court. “Doesn’t that count for something?” he asks, almost beseeching.

“No, you never tried. Anyway, I found someone who actually does what he says,” Ai says angrily.

“Fine,” Ren mutters, “I’ll leave.” He turns and walks out of the court, heading for the western edge of town. His mind races as he walks, his anger at Aijin burning fiercely in the foremost thoughts creates a horrible reaction with his anxiousness at the Rite Of Rouhi Jouten. The mix of emotions creates an angry, confident emotion in his mind and drives him.

He comes to the open mesa overlooking the Rouhi. The hot sands of the Rouhi glare up at him and the others in his age group, reflecting the sun hanging high in the sky. All of his age group is dressed in the white clothes. A blue haired boy steps up to Ren and hisses quietly, “Guess who Ai found?”

Ren almost turns and throttles Juusan where he stands from the way he made the question sound almost innocent. Juusan seems to sense this and presses on, “Just because you have his name doesn’t mean you deserve it.”

The Horuda steps in front of the group and shouts, “Organize in a line facing me!”

There is a quick rustle of activity then all the students are in order and ready. Ren takes a deep breath as the Horuda clears his throat to speak and promptly expels it in a cough as Juusan’s elbow slams into his lungs. The Horuda pays no attention and announces, “Today will decide your future.”

Ren shoots a quick glare at Juusan before looking back to the Horuda, who continues, “You all know about the Rite Of Rouhi Jouten, you will travel into the Rouhi and find your symbol. After you find your symbol release your flare and you will be recovered. After three days you will all be forced to release your flares and be recovered, with or without your symbol. Step forward when your name is called and pick up your pack before leaving into the Rouhi. Understood?”

There is a scattered yes and a few nods. The Horuda ignores the lack of enthusiasm and looks down at the list and begins to call name in alpha order by last name. Juusan steps in front of Ren and glares at him mockingly, “What do you expect to find, Rouhi Rannayaju dung?”

Ren looks back at the Horuda for a moment then says, “No, your father will have ate it all.”

Ren gets slammed back into someone and Juusan stands in front of him, his fist at the ready. Ren stands back up and apologizes to the person he fell on. He steps back up to Juusan and glares for moment then hears, “Kogane, Ren’ai!” Ren turns back to the Horuda and walks forward, taking the proffered pack and stepping down onto the path to the Rouhi floor.

He gets to the bottom of the path as dusk begins to fall and he searches in his pack. A flare, a fire striker, a tent, and a power pack are all it contains. The power pack may be useful if he can find some mashi-n. Mashi-n were scattered across the Rouhi and buried in its sands. Ren glances around and slings the pack back over his shoulders before setting off towards the setting sun.

After walking for an hour the sun has finally gone down and Ren is sitting on a rock next to his tent. Fire wood lays in front of him but he is nervous about attracting attention. He could see lots of fires scattered across the dunes of the Rouhi. “Perhaps I could just blend in, he couldn’t ambush me on the first night,” Ren muses to himself. After another hour of debate with himself he decides to get inside the tent and sleep. He glances at the wall of the tent before setting his alarm watch and sees a flicker before the watches light goes out. He waits a moment and hears nothing before slipping asleep.

A blaring ring erupts into Ren’s mind and he jumps up. After a moment of fright he remembers the alarm and presses the off button. He steps out of the tent with his pack in hand and looks around at the barren wasteland and sees small dark figures moving around. He turns about and takes down the tent and sits down on a rock to gather his thoughts. As his mind wanders he begins to hear voices and looks around. He locates the sound’s origin and looks over the back of the dune he’s camped on. Three people, a member of his class and two teachers walk underneath laughing and having fun on their way back in the direction of Hallowed Garden. Their voices float up to Ren, “What did you find?”

“I found a mashi-n core and when I touched it the whole place lit up and a door opened into this huge underground hangar. It was empty though. I have the core with me.”

“Seems you’re gonna be a Mashi-n Teishu, we need one of those in the guard, you know?”

The girl looks up briefly, her green eyes lock on to Ren’s and he recognizes her. Kaizoe, the shy girl in his class who always stayed quiet and never did anything, no matter how much the others bothered her. She quickly looks away and continues on towards home with the teachers.

Ren thinks back to the day he met Juusan. He didn’t seem to bad then, but as they got older he got jealous of Ren’ai. <Just because of my name,> Ren thinks to himself. <Why was I named for him?>
This thought echoes in his head as he packs up and moves towards the west and away from the city.

He thinks randomly as he walks, <Juusan, he’s seems to want my namesake so badly. His father is well respect as a Rannayaju trainer. Why couldn’t he just hope to find a symbol of that?> Ren glances up in the sky and sees a hawk flash through the clear blue sky before snapping its wings closed and falling onto some invisible prey in the distance. On a whim Ren runs towards the hawk.

As he reaches the hawk, it turns to face and lets loose an ear splitting screech before launching itself up to wheel overhead. Ren walks over to where it had landed and kneeled down. Dropping the pack beside him he examined the sand, a gleam catching his eye. He reaches into the golden grains and clasps his hand around a metal object. He pulls it out and lets the sand pour from his hand until only the warm touch of metal is left. He looks down at the two keychains in his hand. A silver crown and a gray, four-pointed star.

“What did you find, dung eater?” A cold, mocking voice inquires from behind Ren.

Ruki

I'll post the update in just a moment. Making some changes. It'll be a bit shorter than the last.

Ruki

“Nothing that you need, Juusan.” Ren replies as he stands up and clenches his hand around the keychains. Juusan stands with his pack on the ground next to him and a whip trailing from his hand. “You seem to have no problem stealing from your father,” Ren mentions, indicating the whip.
Juusan cracks the whip and orders, “Give me the thing in your hand, Ren.”
“No, find your own anki.” Ren defies Juusan.
Juusan lashes out with the whip and flicks his wrist, causing the leather cord to wrap itself around Ren’s neck. Ren lets out a strangled cry as Juusan jerks him off his feet. Juusan drags Ren toward him and demands again, “Give it here, Ren!”
Ren gasps for air and pries at the cord but its wrapped to tightly, Juusan yanks the whip again and Ren uses the force to get to his feet and stumble towards the violently angry Juusan. He grasps the whip with his free hand and pulls back, attempting to loosen the strangle hold. He feels something liquid and warm spill down his neck but ignores it and fights to pull the whip from Juusan’s grip as his vision is edged by darkness. He falls and his grip on the whip fails. He kneels in the dust and closes his eyes, <Why, why did I fail?>
<Did you?> A calm voice whispers in the darkness. Ren fights the darkness eating at his mind and tries to listen as the voice continues, <There always has to be one of us.> Ren listens to the line, trying to remember where he’d heard it before but the darkness of asphyxiation was overpowering him. <One of us to push back the darkness!> The voice becomes like a physical force and Ren feels a rush of air return to his oxygen craving lungs. He opens his eyes as a burst of light travels along the whip and returns it to oblivion. Ren stands up and his hand goes to his throat, warm blood leaks from the rubbed raw skin.
“Juusan, why do you hate me?” Ren rasps sorely.
“You always get the trust and honor, I hate you for that, and for not using it,” Juusan spits at Ren. He advances on Ren again, “Give me the anki you found.”
“No, my fate is mine alone,” Ren declares. He takes the keychains in both hands and draws himself into a fighting stance. Juusan lunges forward and lands a heavy left hook across Ren’s jaw, knocking him back. Ren falls back and throws his arms up in an X block to take Juusan’s follow up right hook He takes the punch and then lowers his arms quickly and sidesteps.
<Use fate to your advantage,> the voice speaks again.
<The keychains?> Ren thinks, <But how?>
<Pull the light towards you.>
Ren ducks under Juusan’s jab and makes a slashing move with his right hand and in a burst of light a silver and gold Keyblade appears. It slashes across Juusan’s chest, forcing him back. Using his left hand he stabs forward and a sword with gold designs spraying from the blade appears in his hand.
<The Kingdom Key and the Ultima Keyblade,> the voice says. Juusan stares in disbelief as Ren steps forward and swings the Kingdom Key backhanded and hits him in the temple with the pommel. Juusan crumples and Ren steps back, breathing heavily with excitement.
<What will you do now?> the voice asks.
“I’m going home,” Ren replies, trying to calm himself. He looks at the Keyblades for a moment then inquires, “What do I do with these? I can’t very well carry them everywhere.”
<Just let the light dim,> the voice advises.
“Okay, why not.” Ren mutters and he opens his hands and lets the blades fall. They disappear in a burst of light. “Good, then let’s signal.” Ren opens his pack and pulls out the flare. He loads it into the launcher and fires it upward. A green fire streaks upwards before hovering and pulsing above. Ren sits back on his pack and waits.

After waiting for half and hour, keeeping an eye on Juusan, the orchestrators arrive, on Rannayaju, leading another behind them. One of the men leaps off the golden, bipedal bird and rushes to Juusan. The other orchestrator, a woman, steps over to Ren. “What happened?” she questions.
“He attacked me and I knocked him out.” Ren answers calmly, revealing as little as possible.
“Why did he attack you?” she presses.
“He wanted what I’d found.” Ren answers, once again with little revalation.
“Which was?”
“These,” Ren replies with a sigh as he holds out his hands and the Keyblades appear in a burst of light. The woman gasps and the man looks up from Juusan and gives a startled cry.
“Take the Rannayaju back to Garden. Talk to the Mayor. He’ll explain some of this to you,” the woman explains quickly. She looks back to the man tending to Juusan. “We’ll take care of him.”
“Alright,” Ren agrees and turns to the Rannayaju that they’d been leading and steps over to it. He holds out his hand and the Rannayaju looks at it then nuzzles him gently. Ren swings his foot into the saddle loop then up and over. With a quick tug on the reins and a squeeze the Rannayaju takes off back towards Hallowed Garden.

Juusan feels himself falling towards a light. He opens his eyes and is blinded by the light. “Why?” he calls out into the light.
<Why did he get the Keyblades you mean?> a voice asks.
“Of course, they were supposed to be mine!” Juusan shouts.
<There are more Keyblades,> the voice whispers.
“Who are you?” Juusan asks tentatively.
<Kirai,> he replies calmly. Darkness blots out the painful light and Juusan laughs.
“Give me all you have,” Juusan demands.
<There’s a price,> Kirai utters.
“Fine,” Juusan replies. The darkness swallows Juusan and he feels the power flood throughout him.

Opening his eyes, Juusan sees the sky moving above him and realizes that he is on the back of a stretcher pulled by Rannayaju. He coughs loudly and the riders stop and turn. He stands uncertainly for a moment then steps forward and declares, “I am pleased to inform you that you are no longer needed.” He steps forward and grabs both the riders by the neck and in a pulse of darkness they begin to fragment until they completely dissolve into oblivion. Juusan leaps onto one of the Rannayaju and cuts the connection to the stretcher with a stab of darkness. He digs his heels into the Rannayaju’s sides and races off towards Hallowed Garden.

A

Ansem

nice chappy. whens the next updart, cant wait to read it!

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Don't double post, yo!

:DD

Noice fic. =o Enter key's your friend. ._. Haven't I read this? =( Update.

Ruki

I didn't post twice in a row directly. I waited within a reasonable amount of time. And yeah, I was just seeing what a different format would look like. I'll go back to the spaces between paragraphs. It would look better if we had an index key.

Thanks for the comments. I'll update within 3 days from Tuesday.

Ruki

Sorry about not updating yet. I have to work on a five page paper for English class thats due and I'm a bit behind. I'll update when I get the chance to finish the classwork and the chapter.

Ruki

Ren’ai slides from the Rannayaju’s back as he reins it to a stop near the stables. He runs down the lane, oddly empty for the time of day, as he looks for the back street leading to the mayor’s office. He glances down one of the alleyways as he goes past and catches a glimpse of feral yellow eyes. <What was that?> he asks himself.

<Don’t stop. They’ll take the first shot if you do,> the voice commands Ren.

<Who are you?> Ren questions getting tired of referring to the voice as the voice.

<You haven’t figured it out yet? The Keyblades are a projection of a heart. I’m the original Keyblade master.>

“Ren’ai Kagi!” Ren exclaims coming to a stop in suprise.

<Yes, but don’t stop!> Kagi shouts. Out of an shadowed alcove a figure cloaked in pitch black leaps out and lands next to Ren. In a whipping motion it kicks out and knocks Ren into an empty food stall then follow up with a slash of claws.

Ren cries out in pain as a burning cold floods his arm where the creature with yellow eyes hit him. He chokes back tears and uses his uninjured arm to summon the Kingdom Key. He slashes wildly and manages to hit the creature’s shoulder. It reels back with a screech of pain as the Keyblade passes through its shoulder. Ren lunges forth and drives the blade into the creature’s chest. It sreams in rage and pain and dissolves in a burst of light. Ren falls back panting and holding his wounded arm. “What was that?” Ren asks Kagi.

<It was a Reigen,> Kagi answers quietly. <That’s bad.>

“Why?”

<They are made by Kirai whenever he kills. They feed on the hearts of people and hunt out the strongest hearts,> Kagi explains.

“That means that Kirai isn’t dead?”

<Yes, it means that someone gave him back a body.>

Ren nods, “I think I know who.” He stands up and runs along the road before darting down a back alley. He races through the alley at his fastest sprint and burst out into a square before a tall, white tower. Ren takes the steps, two at a time, leading up to the massive tower that serves as a governmental building for the city.

A man in a black suit steps in front of Ren as he nears the door and inquires, “Who are you and what is your business?”

“I’m Ren’ai Kogane and I need to see the mayor. I’m the Keyblade master.” Ren answers impatiently, summoning both the Keyblades in one fluid movement just to prove the point.

The man steps back, stunned, before nodding and motioning for Ren to follow. He pushes open the door and steps in, holding it for Ren before closing it behind them. Inside the reception room of the tower is decorated in gold and black furniture and marble statues. A guard sits at a black desk trimmed in gold and nods to them as they come in. He then sees the Keyblades and stands up to bow to Ren. Ren nods back and the man sits down, muttering about seeing the unbelievable. The man in the black suit leads Ren to a small waiting area and presses the button to call an elevator. He glances at Ren and quickly turns away. “So why did you find them?” he asks.

“I’m not sure what you mean?” Ren replies, a bit frightened by the events.

“Why did you find the Keyblades, did you want to or did you have to?” the man reiterates.

“I guess it was both,” Ren mutters, his knees beginning to shake with fear and adrenaline combined.

“Oh,” the man whispers, falling silent. The elevator chimes its arrival tone and the doors slide open. Ren steps forward and then out of the way as Kaizoe steps out quickly, watching in awe as Ren grips the Keyblades, forgetting he still has them clenched in his hands. She looks up from the weapons and into Ren’s eyes, seeing the fear and desperation of his situation. She smiles at him, “Hey, Ren.”

“Hey,” Ren says in way of greeting, smiling back. Kaizoe walks out quickly, waving to Ren. The suit and Ren step into the elevator and the suit presses a button. The elevator rises in a lurch as the doors close, Ren stands uncomfortably in the small, silent car. The elevator lurches and the lights darken. Ren looks around at the suit, “What’s up? Does this happen a lot?”

“No, I’ll call down to the desk.” The suit replies and opens a panel leading to a number pad and a phone receiver. He pulls out the receiver and thumbs three keys before holding the receiver to his ear and waiting. After a moment he sets the phone down and looks at Ren, concerned. “What is after us?”

“Nothing good,” Ren mourns. He takes the Keyblade tighter in his hand and points the Kingdom Key at the doors. Following the voices impulses he twists it over and the doors slide open. He clambers out rapidly and turns around, banishing the Keyblades, to help the suit. He reaches for the suit’s hand just and clasps his hand around his wrist. He pulls him up the half floor just before the elevator falls. Ren breathes heavily as the suit climbs to his feet beside him.

“We need to take the stairs, I guess,” the suit declares. Ren glares at him and then looks over his shoulder. Two yellow eyes stare out of the elevator shaft at them. In one dashing leap the Reigen lands behind the suit and slashes along his back. Letting out a pained gasp as the blood spills from his back the suit falls and turns reaching into the front of his suit. He lands on the ground and hisses in pain but still manages to pull the handgun from his suit. He aims at the Reigen and squeezes the trigger. His life fades as he strain, but he manages to send the Reigen backwards with the foce from his gun. The bullets pound into the black skin of the Reigen and knock it backwards. Each bullet pushes it back towards the elevator shaft. With a sudden finality the gun falls from the suits hand and clatters to the ground as the suit slumps in death. Ren stands frozen and stunned as the Reigen shakes itself, splattering the walls with its black essence. It lunges for Ren just as he regains his sense and he pulls a Keyblade into his hand and slashes. The Reigen falls back and Ren lunges forward. He sweeps an uppercut with his empty fist. The Reigen stumbles to the very edge of the shaft and Ren slashes once more with the Kingdom Key. The Reigen falls back into the dark shaft, trailing dark blood.

Ren turns to the fallen suit as tear blur his vision. This moment of compassion for someone he didn’t even know confuses him. “Why do they die?” Ren asks to no one in particular.

<They only die because they live for the world,> the voice mutters into Ren’s head. Ren shakes his head to clear his vision and looks for a direction to the stairs. Seeing the sign on the wall he runs to the stairs and climbs them two at a time.

After climbing for what seems like an eternity his legs ache with fatigue. He stumble to the last landing on the top floor and rest against the wall for a moment. His heavy breathing echoes in the stairwell. He stands, straining against gravity, and turns to the door into the mayor’s office. He pushes it open and chokes back a gasp. Then shouts, “Juusan! Why are you here?”

The blue haired young man stands up from the wide chair that the mayor generally sat in. He laughs silently then turns to look out the window. He points to a spot in the city and asks, “Is that your house, Ren?”

“Yeah, why?” Ren answers instinctively.

“Wave goodbye,” Juusan infers mockingly and snaps his fingers. In a pulse of dark power Ren’s neighborhood explodes in a mushroom cloud of dark energy. Tears fill Ren’s eyes and he pulls both the Keyblades out of the air and tense to rush at his foe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back