• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Brotherly Affection

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Everyone has said so much that I don't really have much to add, except...

I love this.

I love how after a year since we've heard Vanitas' theme in the Orchestra's Heroes and Heroines medley, we finally have something that could be hinting at just how Vanitas will change.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I haven't taken Vanitas calling Ven brother as indication of him changing his attitude. The whole phrase put together is him just insulting Ven. He's bothered that his 'brother' is basically useless to him.

I'm not against the idea of Vanitas redemption, but I think the way they played up this trailer, Vanitas' words toward Ven are meant to be in contrast to Sora's feelings (possibly mutual feelings) toward Roxas. Vanitas to Ven is like a curse he wants to be rid of, where Roxas to Sora is someone he wants to reclaim and make whole. Vanitas' scene plays out in a sinister manner where we're all worried about Ven's safety, Sora's scene is seen as sad but hopeful that Roxas can return.

I've said it before in the past, but if Vanitas were to be redeemed, I don't think he's going to be on the side of light either. He's just going to be rogue. I can't imagine Ven or Vani ever being on good terms with each other even if they're the same person or Vanitas sees Ven as a 'brother'. Ven certainly doesn't see it that way, Sora is more of a brother to him than Vanitas will ever be.

I am fascinated by this brother thing mostly because of the Sora/Ven/Roxas dynamic, Vanitas only serves to prove they do all have a bond that goes beyond being enemies or friends (like, a literal bond/connection like blood) and that's about it. Calling someone your brother doesn't equate to fondness or affection. In contrast, Sora doesn't even need to say the actual world to understand that he sees Roxas as his brother.

Could be an ongoing theme too. We've also got Elsa and Anna, another sibling relationship coming up. Who knows.

shady543

Awards
Actually I honestly am looking forward to possible interactions with Roxas and Vanitas (despite Vani's face reveal to Sora will be the best thing as well as Roxas and Ven looking the same). They both have the more agressive personality of the two and both are sort of duds to a person. I feel that if anyone can get into Vanitas's head it would be Roxas. And there is the fact that their conversation can go in two completey different ways because they could end up both mistaking each other for someone else and hence causing one big confusion.

And as for vani's brother statement representing a contrast, I honestly never saw that from the trailer myself. I just saw it as something seperate and another sibling relationship, although currently not a healthy one considering Vani actually calls him the younger brother there. :/ The problem we have here is that game Vani is unfortunately a character that hasn't recieved much character development and has been quite neglected by Nomura in general until Kh3. He is still a very interesting character with a lot of potential, especially with all those questions I asked. But as of now we dont know much about him that cant be taken from light novel vanitas who I believe is the superior verson of the character (and is why he is a personal favourite of mine in all honestly). Hopefully now that he is going to be a major character in kh3 and have his whole arc with ven come to a close we will see some much needed character development.
However, as someone who doesn't care so much for Ven but has Vani as a favourite I do admit my view in this subject may be biased in that regard as im seeing the term 'brother' used as a form of hopeful character development from Vani's side of the relationship. I can see why someone who has an opposite view in that they are a fan of Ven but not a fan of Vani would not like this term being used. So I guess we just have to wait and see what happens in the game. :/

Last edited:

Twilight Lumiair

Awards
I haven't taken Vanitas calling Ven brother as indication of him changing his attitude. The whole phrase put together is him just insulting Ven. He's bothered that his 'brother' is basically useless to him.

I'm not against the idea of Vanitas redemption, but I think the way they played up this trailer, Vanitas' words toward Ven are meant to be in contrast to Sora's feelings (possibly mutual feelings) toward Roxas. Vanitas to Ven is like a curse he wants to be rid of, where Roxas to Sora is someone he wants to reclaim and make whole. Vanitas' scene plays out in a sinister manner where we're all worried about Ven's safety, Sora's scene is seen as sad but hopeful that Roxas can return.

I've said it before in the past, but if Vanitas were to be redeemed, I don't think he's going to be on the side of light either. He's just going to be rogue. I can't imagine Ven or Vani ever being on good terms with each other even if they're the same person or Vanitas sees Ven as a 'brother'. Ven certainly doesn't see it that way, Sora is more of a brother to him than Vanitas will ever be.

I am fascinated by this brother thing mostly because of the Sora/Ven/Roxas dynamic, Vanitas only serves to prove they do all have a bond that goes beyond being enemies or friends (like, a literal bond/connection like blood) and that's about it. Calling someone your brother doesn't equate to fondness or affection. In contrast, Sora doesn't even need to say the actual world to understand that he sees Roxas as his brother.

Could be an ongoing theme too. We've also got Elsa and Anna, another sibling relationship coming up. Who knows.

Hm? How blunt. I suppose if we're talking in a strictly symbolic/thematic perspective, then yeah Sora definitely embodies the more compassionate aspect of brotherhood. However, I'm perplexed as to how going "rouge" works as an end game for Vanitas' story. What would he do exactly? Seek another means of becoming "whole"? Continuing to be cruel towards anyone who stands in his way of achieving..... something? I don't see much of an "arc" happening there (of course if that's what you meant), just rehashing of a plot we've already seen and potentially will see more than one time. If that scene between Vanitas & Ventus equates to nothing new and was meant to communicate nothing new using (I.e. Vanitas just using empty terminology for the thematic purposes already discussed in this thread, and not sparking some actual development for himself) then that prompts me to question the very purpose behind it's inclusion in the first place, because as was already said, there are parallels, and potential parallels, within the Disney worlds themselves that could have served the same narrative purpose (you yourself even bring up Frozen). Contrast isn't necessary if it doesn't add anything. I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with idea of that scene communicating nothing we didn't already know. The very concept of that exhaust my patience. I'm not saying that they have to get along whatsoever, but dismissing the mere potential for actual growth with this character is just something I can't really get behind. People butt-heads all the time, but if there's no end to the problem in sight, they would sooner loose interest in it all together than entertain a pointless confrontation over and over again. That is unless I'm overlooking some possible avenue in the idea of Vanitas going "rouge" that wouldn't lead in circles. But I can't for the life of me, think of single motivation that would have to so heavily differ from the goal that encompassed his entire character, and would also fit somewhere in the middle ground with a satisfying conclusion. Maybe all that is to much to ask for (this is KH after all), and perhaps I'm just missing some obvious answer, idk.

Anyway, my silly rant aside, I can understand and fully respect your perspective (Also you did say you weren't interested in Vanitas' story, so I get that too), but for now we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
Still, I'd like to know, in your opinion, how do you think their relationships will pan out in the end?
I think that for Sora and Roxas the relationship will develop in a more or less straightforward manner, with the caveat being that while Roxas is intrinsically a part of Sora (and, arguably, vice versa), he really belongs with Xion and Axel, his "family" unit so to speak. In that sense, he and Sora may not develop or maintain such a close relationship as brothers, but something more akin to cousins... mm, but again, literalizing it for me kind of removes it from its purpose in the story, so it's almost better to me to think that their connection is unique and will endure regardless. :p

Vanitas is a more complicated matter. I can't say for sure whether or not he has the capacity to redeem himself, per se, but my gut says no. For one thing, he is pure darkness, so while his animosity towards and desire to co-opt Ven is driven by exigent circumstances his basic instinct so-to-speak would be to spread and consume regardless-- hence the natural manifestation of the Unversed derived from his strongest negative feelings. Unlike other characters, he can't really be turned to the light, and on top of that his personal identity and purpose is at stake in the struggle with Ven: the sense is that he has to (or feels he has to) incorporate Ven in order to actualize himself. This is tricky territory, though, because the series has presented a foundational view of the universe in which not only can light and darkness coexist, but one in which they must in order for true balance to be maintained. In that sense, to snuff out Vanitas because he is a creature of darkness would be somewhat hypocritical. He didn't choose the circumstances of his birth: but he is dangerous regardless. That's the dichotomy.

The ending I would envision for Vanitas at this stage would be something like this: I think that the Guardians, or perhaps Ventus himself, will find a way to sever the connection between him and Vanitas permanently (maybe that has something to do with Sora diving into Ven's heart?). And in the process they might reduce Vanitas to something like a shadow of Ventus. From there, perhaps he could be left to roam in the Realm of Darkness, where he actually belongs on some level... It seems right to me that he would end up there, anyway.

Basically, I believe that Ven and Vanitas will clash in KH3, but it will result in their total dismemberment from one another. What happens to Vanitas after that might just be up to Kingdom Hearts itself. ;)

although currently not a healthy one considering Vani actually calls him the younger brother there. :/
I've seen this mentioned a couple of times but I'm wondering if that's accurate? To my ear he refers to Ven as "kyoudai," which is an age-neutral term.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
Hm? How blunt. I suppose if we're talking in a strictly symbolic/thematic perspective, then yeah Sora definitely embodies the more compassionate aspect of brotherhood. However, I'm perplexed as to how going "rouge" works as an end game for Vanitas' story. What would he do exactly? Seek another means of becoming "whole"? Continuing to be cruel towards anyone who stands in his way of achieving..... something? I don't see much of an "arc" happening there (of course if that's what you meant), just rehashing of a plot we've already seen and potentially will see more than one time. If that scene between Vanitas & Ventus equates to nothing new and was meant to communicate nothing new using (I.e. Vanitas just using empty terminology for the thematic purposes already discussed in this thread, and not sparking some actual development for himself) then that prompts me to question the very purpose behind it's inclusion in the first place, because as was already said, there are parallels, and potential parallels, within the Disney worlds themselves that could have served the same narrative purpose (you yourself even bring up Frozen). Contrast isn't necessary if it doesn't add anything. I'm sorry, but I just can't agree with idea of that scene communicating nothing we didn't already know. The very concept of that exhaust my patience. I'm not saying that they have to get along whatsoever, but dismissing the mere potential for actual growth with this character is just something I can't really get behind. People butt-heads all the time, but if there's no end to the problem in sight, they would sooner loose interest in it all together than entertain a pointless confrontation over and over again. That is unless I'm overlooking some possible avenue in the idea of Vanitas going "rouge" that wouldn't lead in circles. But I can't for the life of me, think of single motivation that would have to so heavily differ from the goal that encompassed his entire character, and would also fit somewhere in the middle ground with a satisfying conclusion. Maybe all that is to much to ask for (this is KH after all), and perhaps I'm just missing some obvious answer, idk.

Anyway, my silly rant aside, I can understand and fully respect your perspective (Also you did say you weren't interested in Vanitas' story, so I get that too), but for now we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)

I don't necessarily believe Vanitas is going to be redeemed the way you see it. Vanitas doesn't need Xehanort to 'become whole' if that's still his objective. There's no reason for him to stick to Xehanort's side other than the fact that he's probably norted and has no choice. In BbS, we already saw that his loyalty to Xehanort CAN waiver but that doesn't make him a good guy (he was going to go against Xehanort's orders.... because he wanted to kill Ven).

I also believe Vanitas has done some pretty horrible things not just to Ven, but also to Aqua (and a dash of Terra I guess). Within this own trailer, he was once again threatening Aqua's life exactly like he did in BbS just to get a reaction out of Ven. I cannot imagine Vanitas NOT being antagonistic towards them even if his ties to Xehanort are gone. I cannot imagine TAV and friends easily forgiving Vanitas and laughing together skipping down the yellow brick road.

We're lead to believe Vanitas is as bad as he is because of Xehanort's abuse, but Vanitas has ALWAYS been antagonist towards Ven, even when Ven couldn't do anything to defend himself and was nothing but a zombie. (pretty much exactly like the situation we're in now).

I don't think one word (brother) changes the entire situation, that's for sure. I don't think that was the purpose. At most, Vanitas has to admit Ven screwed him over. When Ven is an acting force, he's his equal. His jabs calling Ven insignificant and useless are just that, irrelevant jabs. They aren't true. Vanitas is the jealous bully on the playground all super salty that you pushed him back for once. (for example, the scene where Aqua beats him the first time in Radiant Garden. He almost sounds happy and excited that Aqua defeated him/ He still says some butthole stuff afterwards 'I'll keep you around' even though he just got beat)

Doesn't mean Vanitas has a new 'fondness' for Ven, doesn't mean he doesn't want to be whole again and recombine with Ven. Doesn't mean he doesn't want to hurt them (he obviously does). He's still the Vanitas we know from BbS. He might've gone from "This person is just the lesser half of me I can't wait to squish it once and for all" to "This person is literally another person that is permanently bound to me whether he likes it or not" but that's all we've seen so far.

As I stated before in my first comment, family has never been a thing for the original cast. We heard Sora's mom call for his dinner once and never again. We saw ghost Sora's dad rowing over to pic them up (aka, we didn't see Sora's dad at all). This is the first time we're seeing family brought up like this.

When Sora thinks of his brother, he fondly thinks about someone to depend on and then Roxas shines through. Sure, fans have pictured Sora and Roxas as brothers for years, but that's never been canon. It's never really been hinted at. Roxas just calls Sora a "good other" and that's it. This is a completely new development.

In contrast to them, the other pair (Ven and Vanitas) could also be considered 'brothers'. Like Sora and Roxas, they are technically the same person and yet they aren't. Sora comes to the conclusion that he and Roxas are like brothers... and so does Vanitas. But just because one is your brother doesn't make it a positive development or a tic towards Vani's redemption. The "change" is Sora has become more attached to Roxas in a positive way, Vanitas has become more attached to Ven in an antagonistic way.

So, while I do think Vanitas' redemption is possible, I don't think it has anything to do with this brother moment and I don't think that means he will join the light side. The original keyblade war had 5 sides, I don't think the suggestion that Vanitas will reach his own conclusions and become his own 'side' to fulfill his own goals, whatever they may be. What Vanitas currently wants (to reunite with Ven) is directly against what Ven wants so again, I believe their relationship is always going to be antagonistic and Vanitas' 'redemption' is not as simple as, "Yeah, I'm totes buddies with you guys now on the light side."

There is "development" in breaking free from an abusive dude and doing what he wants to do instead. Every nort that isn't destined to die with Xehanort is gonna go through something similar.

--------------------

I have rambled here, but in the end, what I want to say is I don't think Vanitas calling Ven his brother has made him any kinder, softer, or tender or anything of the sort. He's still an ass. At MOST, the use of brother could be similar to Sora to Roxas in which Vanitas now views Ven as an entirely different person, separate from himself. Vanitas' motives might have changed to where he doesn't want to combine with Ven, he just wants him up and about again so that they're a pair, like brothers.

I wouldn't call that redemption or even a positive development in Vani's favor because Ven wants nothing to do with Vanitas. Ven doesn't want to be on the dark side. Ven would probably rather sleep in that room forever than let himself fall in the hands of Xehanort or Vanitas.

Vanitas may develop, but I'm not convinced he's going to develop... toward the light side. I've theorized Vanitas is going to go 'rogue' by breaking off on his own side against Xehanort and the light side.

shady543

Awards
I think that for Sora and Roxas the relationship will develop in a more or less straightforward manner, with the caveat being that while Roxas is intrinsically a part of Sora (and, arguably, vice versa), he really belongs with Xion and Axel, his "family" unit so to speak. In that sense, he and Sora may not develop or maintain such a close relationship as brothers, but something more akin to cousins... mm, but again, literalizing it for me kind of removes it from its purpose in the story, so it's almost better to me to think that their connection is unique and will endure regardless. :p

Vanitas is a more complicated matter. I can't say for sure whether or not he has the capacity to redeem himself, per se, but my gut says no. For one thing, he is pure darkness, so while his animosity towards and desire to co-opt Ven is driven by exigent circumstances his basic instinct so-to-speak would be to spread and consume regardless-- hence the natural manifestation of the Unversed derived from his strongest negative feelings. Unlike other characters, he can't really be turned to the light, and on top of that his personal identity and purpose is at stake in the struggle with Ven: the sense is that he has to (or feels he has to) incorporate Ven in order to actualize himself. This is tricky territory, though, because the series has presented a foundational view of the universe in which not only can light and darkness coexist, but one in which they must in order for true balance to be maintained. In that sense, to snuff out Vanitas because he is a creature of darkness would be somewhat hypocritical. He didn't choose the circumstances of his birth: but he is dangerous regardless. That's the dichotomy.

The ending I would envision for Vanitas at this stage would be something like this: I think that the Guardians, or perhaps Ventus himself, will find a way to sever the connection between him and Vanitas permanently (maybe that has something to do with Sora diving into Ven's heart?). And in the process they might reduce Vanitas to something like a shadow of Ventus. From there, perhaps he could be left to roam in the Realm of Darkness, where he actually belongs on some level... It seems right to me that he would end up there, anyway.

Basically, I believe that Ven and Vanitas will clash in KH3, but it will result in their total dismemberment from one another. What happens to Vanitas after that might just be up to Kingdom Hearts itself. ;)

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times but I'm wondering if that's accurate? To my ear he refers to Ven as "kyoudai," which is an age-neutral term.

I can definitely see where this is coming from considering the franchise we are talking about. At the same time though, although terrible at doing it, KH has brought up sibling and parental figures. BBS is where it is most prominent in that Aqua jokes about Terra and Ven being the weirdest brothers and Eraqus served as a father basically. Also Sora and Roxas being close in their own trio does not mean they can't be close with other people outside of that group. Just because Roxas is in a trio with Xion and Axel should not mean anything; it should not mean he can't be friends with anyone else. Sora is in two trios; SRK as well as SDG and will most likely have a good friendship with Ven and Aqua too (and considering Vani has his face I'm keen to see where that will go). Lea is currently having something going on with Saix/Isa. Roxas has a close relationship with Namine to the point where it is even implied they could be endgame as a pairing judging from DDD's credits. I do understand that Xion and Axel could be considered his family, but his close connection to Sora can't be ignored and pushed aside; it has always been there since KH2 and is something that can be really seen as a sibling relationship. Xion and Axel are his best friends like how Riku and Kairi are to Sora.

And as for Vanitas, the problem he seems to have is that as I've mentioned before, he is a character who's strong character development has been made in other sources of media (a diddlying light novel that hasn't been translated in english) so it's difficult to see what his character is supposed to turn out like in the game. At first glance he is honestly just a generic villain in the games, but as you look into his motives there are so many questions in his choices of actions from BBS as well as the KH3 trailers that could be implying something more. The first one is when he gets defeated in BBS and he lets go of the X-blade, his voice changes to Sora's voice and he desperately tried to grab it like he desperately needed it. Why have that in there if it doesn't mean anything relevant to his character development? There is also the fact that his theme was in the heros and heroines melody at the orchestra. One could say at the time that its because Vanitas is Ven's other half but this new trailer has proved that they're both more separate beings now. Vanitas may have gone passed the joining phase and Ven doesn't want anything to do with it, and Ven's dive to the heart with Sora further proves this. So whatever happened to bring Vanitas back alive it has made him more a sibling than the other half. However I do have to agree that I am no way wanting him to side with the light; unless it's written well (which I doubt Nomura can pull off). The best outcome I'd like is if he breaks free from Xehanort but decides to join neither side and after hopefully surviving the game he instead goes his own path to see his own purpose in life, then appears in KH4 with that answer as an anti-hero doing his own thing. Considering the implications of a traitor it could happen even if its a high possibility of that traitor being Saix or Data Riku; but at the same time he could be a second traitor that no one would expect. How this all plays into a brothers theme with Ven would be interesting though, especially if he goes rogue.
I honestly have to agree with the peeps who say not to write him off just yet and to wait until finishing KH3; especially considering a trailer's purpose is to get the viewer excited for the game. Sometimes trailers can be misleading (breath of the wild's one comes to mind). I did not expect his personality to be any different during the majority of KH3 for sure so him killing Aqua again was not surprising. Its the end of the battle and what he chooses to do there is what's important, and I doubt they would reveal important parts of the final battle in a trailer aside from using the chess. Heck I'd doubt anything related to Vanitas doing something that isn't considered evil would be shown in the trailers since its a huge spoiler for his character arc, even more so than Aqua's current state. Its why Roxas has hardly had any information on since he is apparently a huge secret. Anything big like a change in character won't be shown in a trailer. He is going to get a big role in KH3, so it should be put to good used. Maybe more information will be given on saturday.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
*Comes back from school and sees all the wonderful replies. Tries to not to smile too hard.*
Thank you for all the amazing replies, I'm so happy to see people talking about this!
*Gasp* A response from THAT user? I'm so honored!

Thank you for the compliment! And before I go on, I appreciate the difference in opinion. That's what forums are for!

I had a feeling you'd say exactly this. I never really went into Ven and Roxas' feelings very much cause, well.... 1) That's yet to be seen, and 2) I wanted everyone else's feelings regarding that. Guess I should have made that more clear in the OP.

I'm not really expecting any immediate shifting regarding Ventus' feelings since, as I said in a previous response, he is rather unbending (and for good enough reason). But strictly in terms of Vani, it's still important to understand that the subtext that comes with the word "brother" and the word "half" are still very different. One's less human I guess you can say. It doesn't necessarily have to be positive (certainly not at first anyways) for the game to still explore familial themes here. Me and my brother have a somewhat strained relationship where he constantly belittles me or we get into a fight, but we're still brothers, and we're never gonna go out of our way to deny that. Still, I understand that consent is important, but siblings are tied together by a fate (if you believe in that) out of their control, and it's a bond in origin that you simply can't break. Edit: After reading your other responses, I think I can understand how you feel (though I'm still standing by my overall thoughts). It's really just a matter of interpretation I guess, and I enjoyed yours. Thanks for the response!

Well, it is an interesting topic which involves multiple characters and possible relationships so some debate around it can be expected.

Oi, hey, how flattering that I’ve already such a reputation, lol.

I concede the point that we’ve have seen less from Roxas’ and Ven’s side overall in terms of direct focus, but there is a base with from to work and make interpretations from given from the games at least concerning their direct “others”.
With Roxas we see quite some of his feelings towards Sora throughout the course of KH 2 and how they evolve with some glimpses in DDD.
Ventus doesn’t have it that detailed, but we do know his stance towards Vanitas from the last third of BBS.

If we’re going to talk about relationships which always involve at least two characters, we do have to take into consideration the stances and feelings of both characters as well as the context of these with their actions and statements is all I am pointing out.

I certainly agree with the prospect of exploring additional themes, also in the negative spectrum to show how it shouldn’t be done, but I do not agree that one has to endure or stay in a bad and negative relationship just because some ominous bond weaved by “fate”exists. Real Life is full with different people who do not associate or speak in any way with other people even if they are blood-related. Family ties are indeed a different breed of connection, but there is no obligation that one has to maintain them and keep them intact on an interaction level.
As Ansem the Wise said in DDD, connections can be broken through different means and some may even be severed voluntary by some people.

It’s only partially personal feelings as try to not get any character bias in the way, but I do tend to go by already known facts of the narrative first and spin theories from there without jumping already into stuff I’d like to personally play out.

My point is not to paint Vanitas as someone we should empathize with or want redeemed due to his seeing Ventus as his brother. Not even close. That’s exactly the opposite of what I’m saying. The brotherhood of Sora and Roxas is on the opposite end of the spectrum from that of Ven and Vanitas. The intent seems to be that we should feel positive that Sora is feeling this bond with Roxas because we know that Sora wants what is best for Roxas. However, we should feel uncomfortable that Vanitas views Ventus as a brother because it has more malicious meaning, like a Cain and Abel scenario.

Again, just because we are recognizing that they are like brothers does not mean we want them to hold hands and be besties. I have noticed you tend to be understandably defensive of Ventus whenever the subject of his relationship with Vanitas comes up, but this relationship is the centerpoint of Ventus’ storyline outside of his friendship with Terra and Aqua. It’s not going to be written out of the story just because Ventus doesn’t like Vanitas when that is the primary source of tension and conflict in his personal subplot.

I’m not actually overlooking this part. In fact I think I already confirmed that I am in the same boat as you in this area, that Vanitas’ use of the word here is not something to be immediately viewed as something positive when looking at all the context surrounding it. Nothing more and nothing less.
Cain and Abel is perhaps a bit much as these were a pair of brothers which were raised together and liked each other at first. That’s more fitting for Eraqus and Xehanort. Vanitas and Ventus were raised apart from each other and never liked each other at all, with Vanitas hating Ven from the beginning and Ventus’ antipathy only growing the more time passed throughout BBS until it matched Van’s own.

I’d like to correct that as I’m not really “defensive” about Ventus as a character in this vein, but more about the fact that whenever this “topic” of the relationship with Vanitas comes up his part of the whole thing tends to be ignored or shoved to the wayside.
When I get truly “defensive” or biased of something that is worded much more directly and much more harsh I assure you.

Did you speak with Nomura or from where do you know that the relationship with Vanitas is the “centerpiece” of Ventus’ personal story/subplot? There are dozens of possible hooks and other plots to explore in regards to this character, including but not limited to the as very important advertised connection with Sora, the ties to the past era, his own ties to Xehanort and the morbid interest he seems to have and also possibly Roxas (which is also a possible discussion topic in this thread).
Not to forget that Ventus “not liking” Vanitas will have to be addressed and taken into consideration either way regardless of how important this whole subplot is going to because a relationship, even a forced one, has to involve all characters participating in it.

I guess in the end there are those who 1) believe a single word has meaning in this series always 2) don't believe a single word can have a meaning in this series always 3) do believe a single word can have a meaning only if it benefits their point of view.
Just on how many occasions did we center whole discussion around a single word or two in some dialogue of some character? Compared translations and voice acting and all that kind of stuff? Now a seemingly unredeemable antagonist uses a word he was never familiar with and we're going to dismiss the possibility of any kind of change from the "bad possessive psycho" image we painted him with? I appreciate the developed discussion but let's treat all characters equally.

Plus, this paragraph is @Sephy, in my reply I didn't think nor care about what Ventus thinks of the connection anymore or anything. I don't have interest in that at the moment, so I just specifically shared my thoughts on Vanitas. I want to allow both Vanitas and Ventus some space for different character development, not just the same simplistic "me good half you bad half we must fight" plot BBS delivered. And, I don't want to come across as offensive but I would like to ask you to control how defensive you get of Ventus just a little bit. :< it's happening pretty much... always, when Vanitas is mentioned
And yes I do want to see how past!Ventus, BBS!Ventus and current!Ventus can still be the same entity but share so many fragments of .. different lives tbh

I’m sorry but the first paragraph here comes over to me as exactly being defensive and biased towards a single character you accuse me of being in the second paragraph.
You’re welcome to give further examples but the last similar one I remember where we had discussions about a single word was Xemnas calling Aqua’s armor “friend” and we had the exact same debates about if that was genuine Terra-influence coming through or just Xehanort mockery.
And for a while (until DDD’s release) this was truly ambigious. Here, in this case, you’re clinging to that one word and completely ignoring the whole context around it including what other parts of the current trailer and other KH III trailers show. That Vanitas’ behaviour and actions haven’t changed an inch from what we already know from BBS and pointing that out isn’t “dismissing any possibility of change” but pointing out that the context doesn’t point towards this already being a sign of such change.
I am treating all characters equally here as I am not getting “defensive” of Ventus, pointing out that when it comes to a relationship all involved characters have to be taken into consideration is not getting defensive.

I'm afraid you are the one getting overly defensive about Vanitas and the possible positive interpretation you project on this single word, which is supported by the fact you admitting to not caring about Ventus at all in this case when it affects him just the same as Vanitas since it is about their forced bond and blending out the wider context because it doesn't support the positive head canon. I do care about Vanitas' role in this as well because I wouldn’t make the effort to go through all the trailers and appearances of him and collect those to put together the whole context of his statements (like i.e. calling Ventus insignificant) and actions (again trying to kill Aqua, threatening Sora) and after those I came to the same conclusion about what all this means as Kirabook and Alexis.anagram did so I’d appreciate not being called “defensive”or biased when I am nothing of the sort.

If there would be more hints and implications that actually point towards the positive change you envision I would be more inclined towards your interpretation but when looking at everything together there simply isn't as of yet.
My interpretations and observations are not hammered in stone and subject to change when new information gets available.
Allow both Vanitas and Ventus development outside of the already treaded paths from BBS is certainly a good thing but a) this doesn’t have to happen necessarily between them and b) the current status of their forced “relationship” cannot be ignored nor can the context which the trailers as a whole so far give us.
I am sorry that my observations and interpretations clash with yours and your head canon but I won’t sugarcoat anything or stop giving my opinion on the topic because I do care about context and all involved characters.

You haven’t yet experienced me when I am truly biased towards something.

Past!Ventus aka Ux-Ventus is a totally new thing so I am too interested how Nomura will weave this all together, but I'm not sure if there is much of a difference between BBS!Ventus and Current!Ventus aka DDD/KH 3 Ventus because there is no indicator yet that any significant change took place. The second time when Ven's heart got shattered at the end of BBS caused huge damage, but it wasn't like there was again a part stolen or removed.

Complete agreement, that’s literally the same conclusion I read from all available material as well.

Complete agreement yet again as I am not against an arc like that at all if it is well structured and presented, completely independent from the issue if in the end Ventus changes his stance and becomes forgiving or not. A redemption arc must come directly from the character who is in the wrong though and be pursued independently of the prospect of the character’s victims being forgiving. Such an arc is about the character themselves learning to cease doing bad and creating no more victims. If some of their former victims come around to forgive them that is an added bonus on top that comes entirely from every single victims own free decisions, not something the atoning character can expect or demand as a prize for their good behaviour.

I admit that the Sora/Ventus/Roxas triangle is something I had so far only on my radar on the periphery, but then I remembered it was said that both Sora and Ventus could be considered Roxas’ “true selves” so to see if there develops something between all three of them would be also a worthy endeavour.

I’ve already said it multiple times but I’m not getting tired of repeating it. The connection and bond between Sora and Ventus is actually the one that interests me most and where I hope gets certainly put some focus at, even more so than Sora and Roxas because on that relationship we already have a base.

Roxas and Ven as well as Roxas and Vanitas also has some interesting possible paths that could be taken because these characters had zero interaction so far.

Elsa and Anna are more like Sora and Roxas though than Ventus and Vanitas as I can't remember any true hatred between them, just some animosity which Roxas did have with Sora for a while.

Actually I honestly am looking forward to possible interactions with Roxas and Vanitas (despite Vani's face reveal to Sora will be the best thing as well as Roxas and Ven looking the same). They both have the more agressive personality of the two and both are sort of duds to a person. I feel that if anyone can get into Vanitas's head it would be Roxas. And there is the fact that their conversation can go in two completey different ways because they could end up both mistaking each other for someone else and hence causing one big confusion.

And as for vani's brother statement representing a contrast, I honestly never saw that from the trailer myself. I just saw it as something seperate and another sibling relationship, although currently not a healthy one considering Vani actually calls him the younger brother there. :/ The problem we have here is that game Vani is unfortunately a character that hasn't recieved much character development and has been quite neglected by Nomura in general until Kh3. He is still a very interesting character with a lot of potential, especially with all those questions I asked. But as of now we dont know much about him that cant be taken from light novel vanitas who I believe is the superior verson of the character (and is why he is a personal favourite of mine in all honestly). Hopefully now that he is going to be a major character in kh3 and have his whole arc with ven come to a close we will see some much needed character development.
However, as someone who doesn't care so much for Ven but has Vani as a favourite I do admit my view in this subject may be biased in that regard as im seeing the term 'brother' used as a form of hopeful character development from Vani's side of the relationship. I can see why someone who has an opposite view in that they are a fan of Ven but not a fan of Vani would not like this term being used. So I guess we just have to wait and see what happens in the game. :/

Yea, Roxas is certainly more on the aggressive side than both Sora and Ven and on top he has a similar background with Vanitas in terms of having worked quite some time for the villains.
The main difference is that while Roxas worked for the villains, even at his worst he was never actually truly villainous in behaviour and actions like Vanitas is, which may have to do with Xion and Axel being there as a sort of support system (however dysfunctional it might have been) and an unstrained connection with his primary “other” as while Roxas was resentful towards Sora (his full hate and wrath was directed at both the Organisation and DiZ) for a while it never went into outright hate as it is in Vanitas’ case nor did Roxas ever go out of his way to specifically hurt Sora.

If Vanitas really calls Ven “kyoudai” that doesn’t mean younger brother, it doesn’t even have to mean “brother” in a family context as “kyoudai” can also be translated as “mate”, “bro” or “friend” which can have both positive and negative meaning depending in which context it is said.

That the official KH narrative takes some plot points or character traits from the novels and expands on them has already happened so it isn’t impossible that some parts from this may be included in further development.
Until we have more information to go with though, at least I personally will stick to the material and context we already have available and in these I don’t see much of a difference in behaviour and action of the character compared to BBS times.

It’s less about the term being used in a positive manner but more about how it is placed into the whole picture and that, Vanitas fans may like it or not, has to involve Ven and his stance on the matter as well as the general context all of this happens in.

I dunno if the “X is intrinsically a part of Y”-reading can really be maintained throughout the whole cast when the whole “everyone and everything can develop their own unique heart”-reading points in exactly the opposite direction. Hearts having a close connection between each other can be interpreted of them being “part” of each other like Fantasia Mickey did in DDD with Sora’s and Riku’s hearts and the symphony they played, but that’s not in the vein of being literal parts of the same source.
Ansem the Wise already hinted at it being possible and when looking at the long term issues I do think it is needed to have a way to permanently sever/break a connection and not mending it back together when it comes i.e. to free hearts from Xehanort’s unhealthy influence or generally cut off connections which are bad for certain character’s mental wellbeing.

In this vein your idea of the Guardians (or Ventus personally) severing Vanitas’ connection to Ven would serve a similar purpose and on one hand free Ventus from the constant menace that Vanitas represents, yet I am not necessarily on board with the whole “reducing Vanitas to a mere shadow of Ventus” idea as Vanitas does have his own heart which is independent from Ventus and on the other hand this severing of a connection which is toxic no matter how you look at it could also harbor a chance for Vanitas to find a new purpose totally unrelated to Ven.

This is also a possibility that has to be taken into account, no doubt.

If the term used is really “kyoudai” it can have almost half a dozen different meanings depending on context.

I don't necessarily believe Vanitas is going to be redeemed the way you see it. Vanitas doesn't need Xehanort to 'become whole' if that's still his objective. There's no reason for him to stick to Xehanort's side other than the fact that he's probably norted and has no choice. In BbS, we already saw that his loyalty to Xehanort CAN waiver but that doesn't make him a good guy (he was going to go against Xehanort's orders.... because he wanted to kill Ven).

I also believe Vanitas has done some pretty horrible things not just to Ven, but also to Aqua (and a dash of Terra I guess). Within this own trailer, he was once again threatening Aqua's life exactly like he did in BbS just to get a reaction out of Ven. I cannot imagine Vanitas NOT being antagonistic towards them even if his ties to Xehanort are gone. I cannot imagine TAV and friends easily forgiving Vanitas and laughing together skipping down the yellow brick road.

We're lead to believe Vanitas is as bad as he is because of Xehanort's abuse, but Vanitas has ALWAYS been antagonist towards Ven, even when Ven couldn't do anything to defend himself and was nothing but a zombie. (pretty much exactly like the situation we're in now).

I don't think one word (brother) changes the entire situation, that's for sure. I don't think that was the purpose. At most, Vanitas has to admit Ven screwed him over. When Ven is an acting force, he's his equal. His jabs calling Ven insignificant and useless are just that, irrelevant jabs. They aren't true. Vanitas is the jealous bully on the playground all super salty that you pushed him back for once. (for example, the scene where Aqua beats him the first time in Radiant Garden. He almost sounds happy and excited that Aqua defeated him/ He still says some butthole stuff afterwards 'I'll keep you around' even though he just got beat)

Doesn't mean Vanitas has a new 'fondness' for Ven, doesn't mean he doesn't want to be whole again and recombine with Ven. Doesn't mean he doesn't want to hurt them (he obviously does). He's still the Vanitas we know from BbS. He might've gone from "This person is just the lesser half of me I can't wait to squish it once and for all" to "This person is literally another person that is permanently bound to me whether he likes it or not" but that's all we've seen so far.

As I stated before in my first comment, family has never been a thing for the original cast. We heard Sora's mom call for his dinner once and never again. We saw ghost Sora's dad rowing over to pic them up (aka, we didn't see Sora's dad at all). This is the first time we're seeing family brought up like this.

When Sora thinks of his brother, he fondly thinks about someone to depend on and then Roxas shines through. Sure, fans have pictured Sora and Roxas as brothers for years, but that's never been canon. It's never really been hinted at. Roxas just calls Sora a "good other" and that's it. This is a completely new development.

In contrast to them, the other pair (Ven and Vanitas) could also be considered 'brothers'. Like Sora and Roxas, they are technically the same person and yet they aren't. Sora comes to the conclusion that he and Roxas are like brothers... and so does Vanitas. But just because one is your brother doesn't make it a positive development or a tic towards Vani's redemption. The "change" is Sora has become more attached to Roxas in a positive way, Vanitas has become more attached to Ven in an antagonistic way.

So, while I do think Vanitas' redemption is possible, I don't think it has anything to do with this brother moment and I don't think that means he will join the light side. The original keyblade war had 5 sides, I don't think the suggestion that Vanitas will reach his own conclusions and become his own 'side' to fulfill his own goals, whatever they may be. What Vanitas currently wants (to reunite with Ven) is directly against what Ven wants so again, I believe their relationship is always going to be antagonistic and Vanitas' 'redemption' is not as simple as, "Yeah, I'm totes buddies with you guys now on the light side."

There is "development" in breaking free from an abusive dude and doing what he wants to do instead. Every nort that isn't destined to die with Xehanort is gonna go through something similar.

--------------------

I have rambled here, but in the end, what I want to say is I don't think Vanitas calling Ven his brother has made him any kinder, softer, or tender or anything of the sort. He's still an ass. At MOST, the use of brother could be similar to Sora to Roxas in which Vanitas now views Ven as an entirely different person, separate from himself. Vanitas' motives might have changed to where he doesn't want to combine with Ven, he just wants him up and about again so that they're a pair, like brothers.

I wouldn't call that redemption or even a positive development in Vani's favor because Ven wants nothing to do with Vanitas. Ven doesn't want to be on the dark side. Ven would probably rather sleep in that room forever than let himself fall in the hands of Xehanort or Vanitas.

Vanitas may develop, but I'm not convinced he's going to develop... toward the light side. I've theorized Vanitas is going to go 'rogue' by breaking off on his own side against Xehanort and the light side.

Full agreement.

Yep, that’s what I am pointing out the whole time as well. Making such a deal out of this single word isn’t very convincing when all the other factors remain the same.

If any parts of the novels regarding Van’s backstory are transferred to actual game canon the observation that he is largely what he is due to Xehanort’s abuse and, ahem, “parenting skills” is something that cannot be denied, and yet that only serves as an explanation as well as there being a possible way to redeem him somewhat.
It does not obligate any of the characters he victimized, least of all Ventus or Aqua, to extend any sympathy or mercy towards him or be the characters that help him taking on a redemption arc, especially if he continues this behaviour throughout most of KH III.
It is not a victim’s task to redeem their abuser, no matter if that abuser is themselves a victim from other circumstances.

Now if we talk about other characters though there might be a chance, even if it just results in Vanitas becoming a sort of semi-neutral third party force which sides with neither the villains nor the heroes and his continued relationship with Ventus (if there even will be one considering alexis.anagrams theory about Ventus cementing the "I don't want to associate with you"-stance by severing their connection somehow) would be totally independent from that.

mytomxxx

As the theme of family appears to be strong in kh3, maybe we will know if riku is related to xehanort in someway? This always was on my mind, the possibility of them being of the same family.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
As the theme of family appears to be strong in kh3, maybe we will know if riku is related to xehanort in someway? This always was on my mind, the possibility of them being of the same family.

I don't think it is so much about "family" as it using the various Disney familial relationships to serve as a foundation for showing how our heroes have gained a found family among each other. The one thing that constantly pushes through is how none of them are related by blood, but rather by other unconventional means.

Riku theoretically being related to Xehanort doesn't affect the story in any meaningful manner.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Riku being related to Xehanort would explain his past ties to darkness and desire to leave the islands. And why his heartless found Riku such a desirable host body. I doubt Nomura would go that route but it is a nice fan theory.

Though i secretly want Riku's dad to be Sephiroth

DarkGrey Heroine

How much closer could I be?
Awards
Sigh... I'm just going to say this and leave the discussion: I don't sugarcoat Vanitas, nor see a positive change, I just see a possible change in any sort of way being hinted at by the word "brother", like OP wrote too. I don't think nor wish for the character to turn to Light's side, I don't pretend he is better than he is, but I do think he is at least capable of thinking and observing.
For Vanitas to use the word "brother", Ven's consent is not needed. But that was already said, as siblings can not get along or be extremely distant yet still they'd use brother/sister in their vocabulary. The term strictly connects them from their "origin" perspective, the same one, two as one, yet of course radical opposites - for this no consent is needed on any side, the connection exists without their consent. The emphasis I put was just on the possibility of change, not a positive or negative one, but you assumed it anyway.
The misunderstanding is awkward. Thanks everyone for the one enjoyable thread I thought I'd have on my small return to the forums

Last edited:

Luminary

Bronze Member
Awards
I’m not actually overlooking this part. In fact I think I already confirmed that I am in the same boat as you in this area, that Vanitas’ use of the word here is not something to be immediately viewed as something positive when looking at all the context surrounding it. Nothing more and nothing less.
Cain and Abel is perhaps a bit much as these were a pair of brothers which were raised together and liked each other at first. That’s more fitting for Eraqus and Xehanort. Vanitas and Ventus were raised apart from each other and never liked each other at all, with Vanitas hating Ven from the beginning and Ventus’ antipathy only growing the more time passed throughout BBS until it matched Van’s own.

I’d like to correct that as I’m not really “defensive” about Ventus as a character in this vein, but more about the fact that whenever this “topic” of the relationship with Vanitas comes up his part of the whole thing tends to be ignored or shoved to the wayside.
When I get truly “defensive” or biased of something that is worded much more directly and much more harsh I assure you.

Did you speak with Nomura or from where do you know that the relationship with Vanitas is the “centerpiece” of Ventus’ personal story/subplot? There are dozens of possible hooks and other plots to explore in regards to this character, including but not limited to the as very important advertised connection with Sora, the ties to the past era, his own ties to Xehanort and the morbid interest he seems to have and also possibly Roxas (which is also a possible discussion topic in this thread).
Not to forget that Ventus “not liking” Vanitas will have to be addressed and taken into consideration either way regardless of how important this whole subplot is going to because a relationship, even a forced one, has to involve all characters participating in it.

His words are worth analyzing more though as it *could* be indicative of KH3 featuring a subplot about the relationship between Vanitas and Ventus. Why else include it in the trailer if it doesn’t matter? The Cain and Abel comparison is just to describe Ven and Vanitas as two “brothers” whose story and relationship was ultimately a negative one. Not meant to be an exact reflection. It was just the first example that popped in my head.

Being defensive does not require being harsh nor is it a bad thing. You are defending your stance right now and that’s ok. I mean no offense. You seem to not want Ventus to have anything to do with Vanitas whatsoever. Which you have the right to express and defend that opinion. It is understandable from an empathetic perspective to not want Ventus involved with Vanitas because of what Vanitas has done to him, but it is somewhat illogical to expect from a storytelling perspective because they are integral to each other’s stories and multiple trailers have shown this will continue to be the case in KH3.

I don’t have to speak with Nomura when I’ve played Birth by Sleep. In this game, Vanitas is the source of Ventus’ conflict. He is his personal main antagonist. Sure, Xehanort may have started Ven’s problems and manipulated everything, but he didn’t really directly antagonize Ven throughout the main course of the game. If Nomura hadn’t written in Vanitas, what would be left of Ven’s story? It would be entirely different because Ven’s story kicked off with the creation of Vanitas and ended with his temporary destruction. In one of BBS’ first scenes, Sora foreshadows how Ven will one day be strong enough to win back what Vanitas has taken from him, something that ultimately didn’t happen in BBS. This sets up the long term struggle between Ven and Vanitas that is continuing into KH3, as shown by the trailers.

Sure, there are other avenues they can explore with Ventus and elements of what you mentioned will likely be what fill out Ventus’ story in KH3. But it seems highly unlikely his UX past and ties to Xehanort will overshadow the conflict between these two characters in this game. As for Sora and Roxas, Vanitas is also connected with them, so they are a part of Ven’s conflict with Vanitas rather than being an entirely separate plot thread to follow.

As I said, the only thing in Ven’s story that really comes before “Ven vs Vanitas” right now is his friendship with Terra and Aqua. But even with that, defeating Vanitas will likely be essential to ensuring they’re all able to have some peace. Once Ven’s story with Vanitas is actually concluded, then I can see some of the things you brought up coming more into play in the main games. For now, Union Cross will probably carry the weight of exploring those parts of the character.

For the record, I do look forward to when Ven’s story grows out of his relationship with Vanitas. But I don’t expect that to happen until his gets some form of resolution with Vanitas. One theory I’ve considered is Ven defeating Vanitas, but instead of killing him, Ven gives him some of his light and takes some of Van’s darkness in exchange. This would show Ven’s maturity and understanding of the necessary balance of light and darkness. It would also still theoretically destroy the Unversed for good as Vanitas would no longer be pure negativity. Finally, it would give Vanitas the sliver of room he needs to be his own person and actually have a choice to make better decisions if they choose to explore that route. Right now, we really don’t know if he has any more agency than a Heartless or Unversed in regard to his decisions since he has no light.

This will also be my last response to this thread as well since this has been exhausting to write, but I look forward to reading what you have to say if you choose to respond.

Last edited:

KeyToDestiny

Awards
I agree with Sephiroth that people are honestly putting too much stock in that line of Vanitas. It was blatantly clear he was using the "brother" comment to mock Ventus. The original Japanese dialogue actually makes him sound harsher than what the translation show but even then from the tone you could tell he's just mocking Ventus. As of now there's really nothing redeemable about Vanitas as a person as he chooses to be evil on his own. Xehanort did influence him as he raised him but it doesn't excuse Vanitas at all. He even attempted to disobey Xehanort's orders just to kill his "brother" for being useless to him.

That's all I'll say on the matter of Vanitas since I will never understand why his fans(mostly on Tumblr) are so crazy about him needing a "redemption arc".. Gonna assume his novel caused this even though it's non canon atm.

That said, I enjoyed Vanitas being a jackass of a villain back in BBS to have him contrast with Xehanort's more methodical, restrained and sophisticated evil and I'll enjoy Vanitas being an even bigger jackass in KH3 since it seems like he's getting more screentime and importance this time around.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
the only thing that makes Vanitas any fun is that he's ridiculously edgy and totally camp evil. He's a bad guy. The first thing we've heard him do in KH3 is gushingly monologue about the screams of children and how they help him make spooky monsters.

If you turn Vanitas into a good guy, you're basically subtracting a character from the game without adding one, as we already have enough good guys AND bad guys turned good guys.

shady543

Awards
ugghhhh I think some people on here are being too aggressive over this discussion, maybe we could chill a bit or something. ;o;

I don't see anyone on here being like his 'fans on tumblr' at all and looking into things objectively, so I don't know where that is coming from. Since Vani is currently only beaten by Roxas (he has always been my favourite since I was like 12 so it's super hard to top him) as a favourite kh character of mine I'm gonna go screw it and go real deep here since its an opportunity lol. I'm in no way defending his actions or sugarcoating him, in fact really the only thing I want out of him is for his character to have some character development and just... not die so he can actually appear again lol. This is probably my inner fictional writter senses tingling, but I'm not asking for redemption like Zuko; I'm asking for character development. I just see potential in his character arc that goes beyond the generic villain and I feel it would be a waste of an opportunity to not use it when other sources of material has proven that he can be an extremely complex character, and he wasn't a good person at all there ether. I do admit I did like Vanitas a lot after reading the light novel since oh god it easily made him the most complex character in KH with the best backstory to me. He was a character that was not a villain but his actions were still super bad regardless, so more an anti-hero or anti-villain. It was just a very original backstory. But his version in the game also fits the bill on characters I have a tendency to like; ones that can bring up a hell of a lot of discussion, brings up a lot of questions, has potential to be a complex character, and in general just a character who we have no idea what they're thinking or planning. Plus he clearly has a lot of flaws that I find very interesting like his tendency to get too cocky or underestimate his opponent. And I love his design. Half of the fans on tumblr honestly make me cringe and I hate the way they portray him in drawings aka the angry tsundere instead of a cocky bastard, but not all of them are like that since I've talked with some of them even. Character development doesn't mean the character has to change their morals and become a good person or get a any kind of personality change in general. And it would be weird because generally although someone's morals can change, their personality would stay the same since you can't change a person. Character development being given to Vanitas would not change him from the ridiculous cocky bastard who says TOO SLOW when you're actually hitting him and if it did I would claim terrible writing. And in all honestly I think the term 'brother' used from him towards Ven is a really good starting point for his character development. And since it's a trailer its meaning is very ambiguous at the moment that we will probably won't know until an interview or just playing the game.

tldr; I feel that not giving him character development and making him just a generic villain who dies is a huge waste of an opportunity, because why go as far as to make him a major character for kh3 and give implications of character development in the past (that one scene where his voice is sora's voice i'm looking at you) if they're just going to go that route.

His words are worth analyzing more though as it *could* be indicative of KH3 featuring a subplot about the relationship between Vanitas
For the record, I do look forward to when Ven’s story grows out of his relationship with Vanitas. But I don’t expect that to happen until his gets some form of resolution with Vanitas. One theory I’ve considered is Ven defeating Vanitas, but instead of killing him, Ven gives him some of his light and takes some of Van’s darkness in exchange. This would show Ven’s maturity and understanding of the necessary balance of light and darkness. It would also still theoretically destroy the Unversed for good as Vanitas would no longer be pure negativity. Finally, it would give Vanitas the sliver of room he needs to be his own person and actually have a choice to make better decisions if they choose to explore that route. Right now, we really don’t know if he has any more agency than a Heartless or Unversed in regard to his decisions since he has no light.

This will also be my last response to this thread as well since this has been exhausting to write, but I look forward to reading what you have to say if you choose to respond.

Ah I actually really like that theory, and it's a great one to make them both equal instead of being pure of light or darkness. It also solves the issue of Vanitas being pure darkness and to stop him from always producing Unversed every time he has emotions. :\

I know this is a bit of a stretch, but there is another possibility that Vanitas could not be trying to merge with Ven again as his goal this time, but instead trying to bring Ven back to life with a purpose that doesn't involve merging (with wacky ways like trying to kill aqua in front of him, which could even be an illusion). For what purpose I'm not sure but if he wanted to posses Ven he had a huge opportunity but he didn't do it and instead he sat on top of the chair and saying a line that indicates he is seeing himself as his own person. It also explains why he wants Ven's heart from Sora; he wants to bring it back to Ven's body. Like I said for what purpose I'm not sure since it could be for anything, but it's just suggestions. There is also the fact that he is not wearing the coat in this scene if that too indicates anything.

Last edited:

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
for this no consent is needed on any side, the connection exists without their consent.
This would appear to stand in contrast with one of the central themes of the series since, actually, BBS: "There is no coincidence in fate." In KH, rather than a result of happenstance, fate is a matter of will and intention, it's something consciously or unconsciously carried out through the acts of people; in essence, people have the capacity to choose their destiny and they have to own that and be accountable for it. So in the context of KH, Ven absolutely has the right and, at least theoretically, the power to choose or not choose to live in connection-- in any sense of the word-- with Vanitas: in point of fact, his consent, his will, and how it exists in opposition with Vanitas' is the key determinant in their link to one another, symbolically and otherwise.

That's what I think Vanitas' use of the term is meant to convey: he's placing a claim on Ven which is indicative of his will, very much to the subversion of Ven's, and he weaponizes that familial calling card in ironic fashion, as if to say: "See, Ven, you are my 'brother' and therefore you are mine and can't ever escape me." But that's Vanitas' myopia and it's driven by his personal agenda; arguably his will can make it manifest, but it's not true of the KH universe in any definitive sense. Ven can (and, I imagine, will) use his power to combat Vanitas' on that front.

shady543

Awards
Yea, Roxas is certainly more on the aggressive side than both Sora and Ven and on top he has a similar background with Vanitas in terms of having worked quite some time for the villains.
The main difference is that while Roxas worked for the villains, even at his worst he was never actually truly villainous in behaviour and actions like Vanitas is, which may have to do with Xion and Axel being there as a sort of support system (however dysfunctional it might have been) and an unstrained connection with his primary “other” as while Roxas was resentful towards Sora (his full hate and wrath was directed at both the Organisation and DiZ) for a while it never went into outright hate as it is in Vanitas’ case nor did Roxas ever go out of his way to specifically hurt Sora.

If Vanitas really calls Ven “kyoudai” that doesn’t mean younger brother, it doesn’t even have to mean “brother” in a family context as “kyoudai” can also be translated as “mate”, “bro” or “friend” which can have both positive and negative meaning depending in which context it is said.

That the official KH narrative takes some plot points or character traits from the novels and expands on them has already happened so it isn’t impossible that some parts from this may be included in further development.
Until we have more information to go with though, at least I personally will stick to the material and context we already have available and in these I don’t see much of a difference in behaviour and action of the character compared to BBS times.

It’s less about the term being used in a positive manner but more about how it is placed into the whole picture and that, Vanitas fans may like it or not, has to involve Ven and his stance on the matter as well as the general context all of this happens in.

Ah when I was talking about wanting Roxas and Vanitas to interact, it was mainly just on the possible outcomes it could go in. I'm fully aware that Roxas and Vanitas are nothing alike and that wasn't what I was intended to be stating aha. I was just stating they're both considered duds from their counterpart and the more 'aggressive' one but the similarities literally stop there.

And I agree that Ven has to be involved in the matter. However although he can agree that Vanitas is not his brother and he has every right to, it doesn't change the fact that they are still technically brothers or at least related since they're part of the same person.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I don't think it is so much about "family" as it using the various Disney familial relationships to serve as a foundation for showing how our heroes have gained a found family among each other. The one thing that constantly pushes through is how none of them are related by blood, but rather by other unconventional means.

Riku theoretically being related to Xehanort doesn't affect the story in any meaningful manner.

I agree completely with this assessment, although I do get the impression that the OP and some others in this thread interpret the people spawned from others which is a hugely unconventional thing to be equal to a blood-relation or at least the importance of such.

Though i secretly want Riku's dad to be Sephiroth

Although I know it to be a total crack theory and giving the FF cameos much more importance than they actually have on some levels this would make even more sense than Xehanort since in his original incarnation Seph has green eyes and before his insanity is an aloof, but ultimately kindhearted guy with some dry humor just like Riku sometimes is.

His words are worth analyzing more though as it *could* be indicative of KH3 featuring a subplot about the relationship between Vanitas and Ventus. Why else include it in the trailer if it doesn’t matter? The Cain and Abel comparison is just to describe Ven and Vanitas as two “brothers” whose story and relationship was ultimately a negative one. Not meant to be an exact reflection. It was just the first example that popped in my head.

I'd say there being a subplot about this is already a given considering how prominently Vanitas is featured in trailers.
I also never insinuated it doesn't matter, just that there is more interpreted into it than there actually is when taking the context from other trailers into account, just like alexis, kirabook or KeyToDestiny do as well.

Ah, point taken.

Being defensive does not require being harsh nor is it a bad thing. You are defending your stance right now and that’s ok. I mean no offense. You seem to not want Ventus to have anything to do with Vanitas whatsoever. Which you have the right to express and defend that opinion. It is understandable from an empathetic perspective to not want Ventus involved with Vanitas because of what Vanitas has done to him, but it is somewhat illogical to expect from a storytelling perspective because they are integral to each other’s stories and multiple trailers have shown this will continue to be the case in KH3.

I see where you're coming from, so maybe I am just wording things not clear enough.
The point I am trying to get across is not what I personally want for the character to do or how his story plays out, but what the actual in-universe status quo is. It is canon that Ventus himself is the one who doesn't want to have anything to do with Vanitas whatsoever, he made that clear the last time they met, independent from what I personally wish or want.
In the end, decision to how things proceed have to lie with the character and of course it is possible that there will be narrative events which cause this stance to change, yet what we've have seen so far in general of Vanitas' behaviour doesn't make such a thing likely and a wish like the OP mentioned about an actual deeper exploration of such a possible bond isn't possible if one end of the connection vehemently doesn't want to explore it.

It goes also hand in hand with the OPs wish to see different interpretations and the admission to be not sure of both Roxas' and Ventus' feelings on the matter. Well, Ventus' feelings on the matter at least when it comes to Vanitas were made clear by canon material so it is worthy of mention even in general reference to the OP.

Of course you can also spin a satisfying narrative out of that and go from a storytelling viewpoint about how to ultimatively dismantle a toxic connection that proves to be ultimately unsalvageable (possibly even as a template on how to deal with the multiple forced Xehanort connections) so that would be another scenario to think about going with currently available information.
There is so much debate going on about how no means no and yet slapping the descriptors "fate" or "inherent relation" on an issue seems to be the general way to go to dismantle this rule in fiction, so subverting that set of tropes may also be a worthy endeavour to explore.

I don’t have to speak with Nomura when I’ve played Birth by Sleep. In this game, Vanitas is the source of Ventus’ conflict. He is his personal main antagonist. Sure, Xehanort may have started Ven’s problems and manipulated everything, but he didn’t really directly antagonize Ven throughout the main course of the game. If Nomura hadn’t written in Vanitas, what would be left of Ven’s story? It would be entirely different because Ven’s story kicked off with the creation of Vanitas and ended with his temporary destruction. In one of BBS’ first scenes, Sora foreshadows how Ven will one day be strong enough to win back what Vanitas has taken from him, something that ultimately didn’t happen in BBS. This sets up the long term struggle between Ven and Vanitas that is continuing into KH3, as shown by the trailers.

Sure, there are other avenues they can explore with Ventus and elements of what you mentioned will likely be what fill out Ventus’ story in KH3. But it seems highly unlikely his UX past and ties to Xehanort will overshadow the conflict between these two characters in this game. As for Sora and Roxas, Vanitas is also connected with them, so they are a part of Ven’s conflict with Vanitas rather than being an entirely separate plot thread to follow.

As I said, the only thing in Ven’s story that really comes before “Ven vs Vanitas” right now is his friendship with Terra and Aqua. But even with that, defeating Vanitas will likely be essential to ensuring they’re all able to have some peace. Once Ven’s story with Vanitas is actually concluded, then I can see some of the things you brought up coming more into play in the main games. For now, Union Cross will probably carry the weight of exploring those parts of the character.

Exactly, Vanitas was Ventus' primary personal antagonist in BBS but he did resolve the conflict in that game alone and took back what Sora foreshadows. His awakening platform is complete after he defeats Vanitas and the dark warrior's dissolution in sparkles, and it has only him in the picture. He rejected both the X-blade and the forced fusion with Vanitas' heart.
This awakening platform appears in the trailer as well, with Sora apparently visiting it.

It was kept ambigious what exactly happened with Vanitas' heart and Nomura teased that he was "resurrected" and brought back differently than the other seekers, yet that would be a new sort of conflict but at the same time still a sort of rethread of what already happened in BBS.

When it comes to Ven's connection with Sora though I dare to propose that this one should trump all others in terms of importance, even Terra and Aqua and the Ux stuff as it has been advertised so often by now yet never got any focus beyond a few heart-to-heart scenes.
As for Xehanort, not only is he the primary antagonistic force active, it has also been brought up more than once by now that he's still interested in Ven, which regardless of reasons may also give more insight on how the time they actually spent together went.

I agree with Sephiroth that people are honestly putting too much stock in that line of Vanitas. It was blatantly clear he was using the "brother" comment to mock Ventus. The original Japanese dialogue actually makes him sound harsher than what the translation show but even then from the tone you could tell he's just mocking Ventus. As of now there's really nothing redeemable about Vanitas as a person as he chooses to be evil on his own. Xehanort did influence him as he raised him but it doesn't excuse Vanitas at all. He even attempted to disobey Xehanort's orders just to kill his "brother" for being useless to him.

That's all I'll say on the matter of Vanitas since I will never understand why his fans(mostly on Tumblr) are so crazy about him needing a "redemption arc".. Gonna assume his novel caused this even though it's non canon atm.

From what I've gathered the question isn't so much on Vanitas being redeemable but if that one line already insinuates a sort of change, which I personally answer with no precisely because a) how it is said, b) the picture Vanitas' other appearances in KH III-related material paint and c) how the japanese word "kyodai" being used can have several meanings depending on context and doesn't even mean "brother" in a family sense in all of those.

I'm not on tumblr so I can't say anything about dedicated Vanitas-fans there nor did I actually read any of the novel parts that apparently quite a big bunch of the Vanitas-fans use as their groundwork for the more sympathetic reading of the character.

I just had found a sort of "summary" translated from the japanese original by what I would describe as a "rabid" fan who engaged freely in some obvious role-reversal painting Vanitas as a victim in every case (like him being sad/upset when Xehanort took Ventus away but neglecting to mention this happened only because Vanitas himself wouldn't stop to physically abuse Ventus who couldn't defend himself at the time, which was pointed out in the reviews to said "summary") and similar issues.
Due to this, I decided to not pay much attention to said "summary".

To quote Launchpad: Not every villain needs a redemption arc.
Still, that doesn't mean I can't see where some of the Vanitas-fans, especially the moderate ones, come from and I've already engaged in theories how it could happen.
I just don't see an actual hint towards it with the current trailer material.

This would appear to stand in contrast with one of the central themes of the series since, actually, BBS: "There is no coincidence in fate." In KH, rather than a result of happenstance, fate is a matter of will and intention, it's something consciously or unconsciously carried out through the acts of people; in essence, people have the capacity to choose their destiny and they have to own that and be accountable for it. So in the context of KH, Ven absolutely has the right and, at least theoretically, the power to choose or not choose to live in connection-- in any sense of the word-- with Vanitas: in point of fact, his consent, his will, and how it exists in opposition with Vanitas' is the key determinant in their link to one another, symbolically and otherwise.

That's what I think Vanitas' use of the term is meant to convey: he's placing a claim on Ven which is indicative of his will, very much to the subversion of Ven's, and he weaponizes that familial calling card in ironic fashion, as if to say: "See, Ven, you are my 'brother' and therefore you are mine and can't ever escape me." But that's Vanitas' myopia and it's driven by his personal agenda; arguably his will can make it manifest, but it's not true of the KH universe in any definitive sense. Ven can (and, I imagine, will) use his power to combat Vanitas' on that front.

Isn't one of themes of KH III "defying fate" (or what some declare to be it) as well? How often has it been said throughout the series that this and that is fate and yet it was averted or partly changed in the end?

The way you word this makes me think somewhat of how later installments in the FF VII-universe played up Sephiroth's obsession with Cloud.

Ah when I was talking about wanting Roxas and Vanitas to interact, it was mainly just on the possible outcomes it could go in. I'm fully aware that Roxas and Vanitas are nothing alike and that wasn't what I was intended to be stating aha. I was just stating they're both considered duds from their counterpart and the more 'aggressive' one but the similarities literally stop there.

And I agree that Ven has to be involved in the matter. However although he can agree that Vanitas is not his brother and he has every right to, it doesn't change the fact that they are still technically brothers or at least related since they're part of the same person.
I honestly can't imagine those two "interacting" without it leading into a battle because they're both on the more aggressive side. Remember how quickly Roxas was willing to take up a brawl with Seifer who while not as dangerous and "extreme" as Vanitas still fills the "bully" role somewhat?
Considering his sometimes snarky attitude I can also see Roxas throwing Vanitas' insults and mockery right back at him and since they've both a hot temper too one can place bets which one looses his cool first. ;P

Isn't the whole "part of the same person"-issue the main thing that has to be questioned and put under scrutiny here both because of the fact that both have their own hearts which developed totally different and independent from each other and the "brother" issue?
And when we take alexis' theory into consideration and what Ansem the Wise said in DDD, it is possible that this particular connection may even no longer exist by the end of KH III.
The whole "you're your own person" and "part of the same person"-views are direct opposites of each other. Being spawned or created by another person but then allowed to develop memories and an identity independent from that person (and that person too continuing to develop independently) creates a divergence where both beeings cannot be considered part of the same person anymore. Their hearts grew beyond that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back