• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Character creation/modification

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
Square's games are definitely focused around a central plot; like most JRPG's, they're entirely scripted. Granted, there are a lot more options for players with the narrative than there was a good ten years ago, but it's still a tightly structured game. If Square were to allow the player to create the characters, not only would they be pretty uggo and not fun to look at for 30+ hours, but it also has the potential to fuck with the narrative which, let's be honest, is part of the reason why we buy the games.

I mean, look at FFX. They let you name Tidus-simply name him- and it fucked with the entire game. I cannot even imagine how annoying it must have been to never refer to him by name.

Bottom line: they're tightly scripted, and that's the way (uh-huh uh-huh) I like it.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
This is inherent of most JRPGs.

i would almost blame final fantasy for this

It's just really easy to restrict players to predefined characters because it's a very tried-and-true literary method of storytelling. It's much easier to write for a character when you know exactly how he or she is going to behave.

Older RPGs like Wizardry never really had this problem because they were all just text in a first-person perspective world. Granted most of those old RPGs never really had stories like we see in games now. Whether or not this is a good or bad narrative approach is up for debate.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
Also, those games didn't have voice acting, which is why most games won't let you even name main characters. Gets hard to never say the protagonist's name.

Shamdeo

skipped leg day
Awards
Website
finalfantasy.net
i would almost blame final fantasy for this

It's just really easy to restrict players to predefined characters because it's a very tried-and-true literary method of storytelling. It's much easier to write for a character when you know exactly how he or she is going to behave.

Older RPGs like Wizardry never really had this problem because they were all just text in a first-person perspective world. Granted most of those old RPGs never really had stories like we see in games now. Whether or not this is a good or bad narrative approach is up for debate.

It's easier to have a silent hero, whom you assume you project your own personality onto and hope that makes an impact on the player without having to write any notable dialogue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back