• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Character Design in the Kingdom Hearts Series (The Problem with Black Coats)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Hello, everybody, and happy Thursday! With the end of the week just around the bend, I recently came across a thread that covered a similar topic, so I thought I'd discuss how character design has evolved (and devolved) throughout the series.

In the first Kingdom Hearts, everything was given a very early 2000's Final Fantasy design to match Nomura's tastes. Zippers and belts were everywhere, clothing that had no functional design ran rampant, and colors were vibrant and expressive. At the time, the clothing the characters were was pronounced and symbolic; Sora had giant banana shoes and the villain was Billy Zane with muscles so big that they were ripping outside of his giant castaway costume. Despite this, the first game kept its charm, and kept characters with many unique and even defining designs, as many consider this to be the game where "edgy Cloud" first made his debut in the Final Fantasy universe, with his metal claw and his wrapped buster sword.

Now, when the final mix came around, they had an idea for another character to show up: Xemnas. However, at the time he was unnamed and unknown, so when he appeared for a boss battle they put him in a fitting black coat, something vaguely similar to a costume design for a secret boss from Neverland, The Phantom. This pattern also appeared in the secret movie for the game, where a mysterious silver-haired warrior fought against a dual-wielding keyblade wielder in combat. At the time, this was known as a way that Tetsuya Nomura could hide his characters that he had not finished designing yet.

In Chain of Memories, this was used again by a cloaked figure that leads Sora and company to Castle Oblivion, where he is later uncloaked to be a man named Marluxia. Now, the designs for this game stayed mostly the same, and fair enough. The timeline does not ask for them to change clothing, so it only makes sense that Sora, Donald, Goofy, and Riku would not change. However, all of the villain characters wore these black cloaks, not just the main villain. This is where we first got clues that this design was, in fact, a very canon outfit for characters of the series to wear, something that I'll analyze more down the list. Now, aside from this, we also had a character named DiZ, who was shrouded by a red outfit with red bandages covering his face. Keep this in mind for later.

Kingdom Hearts II came along, and character design was revamped yet again as nearly everyone got a wardrobe shift. Certain characters from the Destiny Islands now had wardrobe shifts to show how they are in school, Kairi's outfit evolved with her age, Riku's outfit took from the first game and evolved it with his gained height and maturity, and Sora's clothes were revamped to be able to fit a mold that would later be followed in the series' third installment: that his clothes would go along with certain abilities, and would change color and pattern, but not style, when he changed these forms. Unfortunately, other characters weren't so lucky; Mickey's coat makes no sense in the series, since its point of stealth is entirely voided when you see his giant mouse ears hanging out of it, and Donald and Goofy did not get any sort of costume change, something we'll see imitated again and again.

On top of this, the black coats were applied to an organization we learned to call Organization XIII, our new group of baddies, so we now know that these coats are to be applied to them. Here, we hardly see any variation in character design; while some of these black coats can be denoted by how they fit to the body and what types of shoes the characters are wearing, they are largely featureless, and quite lackluster in design. The only character in this game that gets a full variation in Xemnas, in a form that unfortunately only appears for a brief moment in this series, with a white coat that is adorned with black thorns.

I bring this up because, in the final mix versions of this game, we got a secret ending of further things to come, and Nomura wanted a creative way to shield the characters in this ending. To do this, he put them in keyblade armor, and pitted them against the completed character designs of what would later be known of Vanitas and Xehanort. Here, we see true creativity in hiding these future character designs, yet we already have a myriad of characters entirely robed in this series, and we start to see a problem with how these characters are costumed.

In Days, nothing changed. The only difference was that Roxas was now in one of those featureless robes as well, and it took away from the experience.

In Birth by Sleep, each character design was quite creative, with the armors being inventive and bringing a life to the design that was much needed. Here, the robes are used practically and with purpose; Xehanort uses his to shield himself in Destiny Islands and to occasionally accompany him in travel, and Young Xehanort only uses his in his secret boss battle to shield his identity. Here, we have recognizable character designs that bring flavor to each character, something we can take a lesson from.

I won't bother mentioning Coded here, as it just takes all of the same tips from the previous games in character design. I was peeved that the Journal took the form of Riku in one of those dumb black robes, though.

In Dream Drop Distance, everything hits the fan. Sora's character design is mostly static, along with Riku's, as drive forms are not a part of this story. However, the thing that annoyed many fans here is the character designs. While the idea of many character being, in fact, vessels of Xehanort rightfully made many people feel like their personalities were already being consumed by him, the fact that many interesting character designs were left unexpressed in the visual department only further proves this. Xehanort is still in his suit, yes, but Ansem now takes the form of the black coat by the end of the game, Xigbar never returns to his character design from BbS, Saix never has new clothing, Xemnas is wearing his generic black coat, and Young Xehanort, who already had a model from Birth by Sleep in his clothing from the Destiny Islands, now takes on a black coat as well. By the end of the article, I will explain why these are horrible.

In Back Cover, each character is acted primarily through their voice and inflection, as their faces are concealed. Nevertheless, each one of them having a unique keyblade and design benefited their voice acting as well, and made it feel like, at the very least, effort was put into differentiating them. However, this is was irks me so much; The Master and Luxu, two characters that are mysterious and full of wit, also wear this black coat. WHY THOUGH! WHY DOES EVERYONE FEEL THE NEED TO PUT THIS diddlyING THING ON JESUS CHRIST! DON'T YOU PEOPLE HAVE REAL CLOTHES!?

And, finally, we got something somewhat fresh in the X saga. On top of more reduced designs for new characters like Ephemer and Skuld, we now have a new design for a Marluxia character, a man named Lauriam. This gives me hope that maybe Marluxia's design in Kingdom Hearts III will be altered to reflect this, but only time will tell.

In Kingdom Hearts III so far, we have seen returning and new themes in costume design appear. Sora's outfit is similar to his KHII outfit in that it is made so that it is a base to change color due to new drive forms, but it has been refined so it is more realistic and evolved from his outfit in the original game. The heroes of light seem to be following a theme this time around; with the 3 Guardians of Light seen so far, all have followed a theme of plaid lining their clothing in some way, which seems to be a unifier for the battle up ahead. Unfortunately, Donald and Goofy have kept the same outfit, but we can always hope that that is changed close to the end of the game.

What's very unfortunate about the villain designs in the game so far is the lack of creativity. While the heroes have sported new designs that have sparked interest and ignited passion in many fans, the villain designs have been lacking, to say the least. While many established characters, such as Vanitas, Young Xehanort, Ansem, Xemnas, and Marluxia have been shown to have other designs in some form, they all take the form of the black coat in these trailers, which is devoid of personality and a bore to view on screen.

And, here is the main issue with the designs of the villains: the black coat is too numerous to be this dull. While a combined 28 coats (not counting Xemnas' final form or the Mushroom XIII) have been identified in this series so far, nearly none of them have ever stood out, with the biggest differences often being attributed to god. Damn. Zippers. The fact that other designs to shield faces in the past, such as the keyblade armor or DiZ's disguise, have been tested, it is embarrassing that this relic from the first game has continued on so long. It is so dull to see these characters donning these stupid coats, and I only hope for the sake of Kingdom Hearts III their clothing finally gets to breathe some life into them again, even if it's only for the final battle.

Thank you all for reading this. What do you think? Do you mind the black coats, or do you actually prefer them as a storytelling narrative? Whatever your thoughts are, let me know and comment below ^o^

EDIT: Forgot to mention the absolutely hideous brown coat from the first game that Ansem reuses in Dream Drop Distance. Worst looking model in the series by far.

Last edited:

Hakan Xatos

Awards
Wow, great read Grono. I haven't really thought about the coats that much, but yeah they've been in every iteration since KH Final Mix and there's 28 (!?) characters that dons them. It's crazy and I used to really like them when they were used for practical reasons like stealth and protection from darkness. Now there's really no need to do any of that and yet they ruin characters that had great outfits, like Ansem and Vanitas, by putting stupid coats on them. We know who Ansem is and he doesn't need protection from darkness sooo.. why? All the others are probably the same way. So yeah the villains are getting no love from the design department and I hope that shed those nasty, old, ripe smelling coats for good. Doubt it, but I hope so.

Just some food for thought. Donald and Goofy did get a wardrobe change (besides the beginning of KH1) at the end of KH1 and beginning of CoM where they donned their classic looks. When they revert to their normal look in Traverse Town, Goofy actually acknowledges the change of clothes. Although their is no explanation given for how they changed clothes after sealing the Door or when they entered Castle Oblivion. For Castle Oblivion you could say it was from memories of the previous adventure, but the clothes don't turn back in KH2. So anyway that was my useless observation lol.

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Wow, great read Grono. I haven't really thought about the coats that much, but yeah they've been in every iteration since KH Final Mix and there's 28 (!?) characters that dons them.

There's actually 41 characters that don them, but I had to take out the Mushroom XIII just to make the number look a little more reasonable!

It's crazy and I used to really like them when they were used for practical reasons like stealth and protection from darkness. Now there's really no need to do any of that and yet they ruin characters that had great outfits, like Ansem and Vanitas, by putting stupid coats on them. We know who Ansem is and he doesn't need protection from darkness sooo.. why? All the others are probably the same way. So yeah the villains are getting no love from the design department and I hope that shed those nasty, old, ripe smelling coats for good. Doubt it, but I hope so.

The craziest part about this is that Ansem is literally a heartless. Like, why would he ever be concerned about that?

Just some food for thought. Donald and Goofy did get a wardrobe change (besides the beginning of KH1) at the end of KH1 and beginning of CoM where they donned their classic looks. When they revert to their normal look in Traverse Town, Goofy actually acknowledges the change of clothes. Although their is no explanation given for how they changed clothes after sealing the Door or when they entered Castle Oblivion. For Castle Oblivion you could say it was from memories of the previous adventure, but the clothes don't turn back in KH2. So anyway that was my useless observation lol.

I mean, yeah, fair point haha. Guess I forgot about that! Oh well, too bad they never really battled in those clothes or anything. Could have been a cool post-game award.

Oddmania

I think the coats were made to create unity (and, of course, mystery). The members of the Organisation needed an outfit that wouldn't look out of place in any of the worlds (from Port Royal to the Mulan's China). Nomura probably didn't want to individualise them either. We had to understand they all had the same goal. They're like the heads of a single hydra.

They could have been designed like most Final Fantasy villains were:

ffvillians-1024x551.jpg

...but they probably would have come across as more of a clique (or a Fairy Tail guild :tongue:) than a real organisation. Thirteen characters is quite a lot. I think I would have liked it, though. It would have fit right in with KH1's art direction. Ansem (Xehanort's Heartless) doesn't look that different from Sephiroth. He's no Kefka or Seymour, but he could have passed off as an ordinary FF villain.

I admit I was pretty disappointed (and bored) when I first saw what Young Ansem looked like. He was the first brand new character since Birth By Sleep had come out, and BOOM!: same old black coat... (plus a very lame-looking grey attire. Halfway between a non-playable villager and a level-1 MMORPG hero).

I was a little disappointed too when Riku's new design was revealed. It's not bad, but it's nothing like the first or the second game. No yellow, no baggy clothes, no zipper, no layer. It's all black and dark blue (also, what's the matter with all those checkers?! Is it still on-trend in Japan? It looks way out of fashion. Just a quibble). He doesn't look so much like the Riku I was used to, but more like the main character of The Bouncer (one of Nomura's first game):

si_tall.jpg

Last edited:

Nukara

Awards
Black coats are justified.
It is a kind of form in the Organization. 13
This makes the members no longer noticeable.
MoM and Luxu to disclose still early, I think their faces will show after KH3.
  So I do not quite understand your critic.
Black coats are just needed for the canon of history.

Last edited:

Zul

Awards
EDIT: Forgot to mention the absolutely hideous brown coat from the first game that Ansem reuses in Dream Drop Distance. Worst looking model in the series by far.

Yes.... I talk about black coats more because they're used more...but that brown coat needs to be set on fire, burned to ashes, then the ashes need to be set on fire again. Just looking at that droopy thing is depressing.

https://static.zerochan.net/Kingdom.Hearts.full.9201.jpg

Amadeus

Awards
I liked the coats as a uniform for Organization XIII, because they were a "shadowy" organization and all that. The slight variations gave them character, like Axel's super-tight sleeves and Vexen's oversized coat, but most of the time it was too subtle to notice unless you were really looking for it. Using the coats for the new Organization makes some sense because it's like a sequel to the original, and they arguably "need" a uniform, but it seems sooo lazy from an audience standpoint. Ansem and Vanitas in coats is super boring, and Vanitas is already wearing his bodysuit under it anyway!!

I really hope they at least give Lea a new outfit in KH3. I was disappointed that he stayed in the coat for all of 3D, especially when the six apprentices (sans Xehanort) respawned in their old outfits. If SE really wants to keep a uniform look, they could work with variations on Xehanort's original white shirt and black coat a la MX and Ansem's original outfit. At the very least, something could be done about the color of the coats, but that could seem pretty cheap after the final fight with Xemnas in KH2.

As a side note, who are the 28 coat wearers? I could only count the 14 Organization members, Mickey, Riku, Vanitas, Ansem, Jiminy's Journal, Luxu, MoM, Lea, Braig, and Isa, which is 24. Are you including the unrevealed members of the true Organization from the end of 3D?

Grono

KH ☼ D&D ☼ Music ☼ Wack.
Awards
Black coats are justified.
It is a kind of form in the Organization. 13
This makes the members no longer noticeable.
MoM and Luxu to disclose still early, I think their faces will show after KH3.
So I do not quite understand your critic.
Black coats are just needed for the canon of history.

My critique is that they look boring, not that they don't have a purpose. Though, you could also easily assume that what I meant was that the coats were initially a way to hide characters who weren't designed yet, which was absolutely true. Either way, they're a lazy, uncreative design that aren't visually appealing, which was kind of the point of the article. My argument was never that they don't function well; the only one that doesn't is Mickey's because of his ear holes.

Yes.... I talk about black coats more because they're used more...but that brown coat needs to be set on fire, burned to ashes, then the ashes need to be set on fire again. Just looking at that droopy thing is depressing.

https://static.zerochan.net/Kingdom.Hearts.full.9201.jpg

God, if any model from the original game reeks bad PS2 graphics, it's that heaping garbage fire. Why, just WHY did they leave the model practically unedited in 3D?

I liked the coats as a uniform for Organization XIII, because they were a "shadowy" organization and all that. The slight variations gave them character, like Axel's super-tight sleeves and Vexen's oversized coat, but most of the time it was too subtle to notice unless you were really looking for it. Using the coats for the new Organization makes some sense because it's like a sequel to the original, and they arguably "need" a uniform, but it seems sooo lazy from an audience standpoint. Ansem and Vanitas in coats is super boring, and Vanitas is already wearing his bodysuit under it anyway!!

Yeah, some unifying theme is probably needed. I don't think that I would necessarily mind if there was no theme to their outfits, though. The one thing that I do care about is uniqueness, and the problem with the black coats is that their subtleties are just that... subtleties. There's no interest or eccentricity in their design since all of them are so fundamentally similar.

I really hope they at least give Lea a new outfit in KH3. I was disappointed that he stayed in the coat for all of 3D, especially when the six apprentices (sans Xehanort) respawned in their old outfits. If SE really wants to keep a uniform look, they could work with variations on Xehanort's original white shirt and black coat a la MX and Ansem's original outfit. At the very least, something could be done about the color of the coats, but that could seem pretty cheap after the final fight with Xemnas in KH2.

I was really disappointed with Lea's coat in 3D too!

I wouldn't agree about the color of the coats being cheap; if anything, I think it would just add visual flare. Even if it's cheesy, it's much better than nothing.

as a side note, who are the 28 coat wearers? I could only count the 14 Organization members, Mickey, Riku, Vanitas, Ansem, Jiminy's Journal, Luxu, MoM, Lea, Braig, and Isa, which is 24. Are you including the unrevealed members of the true Organization from the end of 3D?

I'll be happy to clear that up for you :D There's all 14 organization XIII members, Young Xehanort, Master Xehanort's, Ansem's, Lea's, Ansem the Wise's, Riku's, Riku-Ansem's, Mickey's, the Moogle from Organization XIII's headquarters, Data-Riku's, Data-Roxas', Anti-Black Coat's, Luxu's, and the Master of Master's. That counts up to a total of 28.

The Mushroom XIII were omitted, since I think that their canon status is unclear (someone can help clear this up), and KHWiki lists Xemnas' final form, of which I don't count, since it's just another form of an already existing being's coat. Some of these are admittedly questionable, like Riku-Ansem and Riku being kind of-sort of the same person in the same way that Terra-Xehanort is still Terra and Xehanort. Yes, I did count Lea and Axel as two different people; you can yell at me for being pedantic or something, I'd understand haha.

Amadeus

Awards
I wouldn't agree about the color of the coats being cheap; if anything, I think it would just add visual flare. Even if it's cheesy, it's much better than nothing.

I see what you mean. I didn't make it clear that I was thinking more along the lines of copy and pasting Xemnas' final form coat in different colors. I agree that color would be better than nothing, though I hope they come with some sort of pattern or motif that relates to the character, like cherry blossoms for Marluxia or a crescent moon for Saïx (like what was seen on Isa's jacket in BBS).

There's all 14 organization XIII members, Young Xehanort, Master Xehanort's, Ansem's, Lea's, Ansem the Wise's, Riku's, Riku-Ansem's, Mickey's, the Moogle from Organization XIII's headquarters, Data-Riku's, Data-Roxas', Anti-Black Coat's, Luxu's, and the Master of Master's. That counts up to a total of 28.

Oh man, even the moogle... He remains my favorite shopkeeper in the series!

Graceful Schemer

It is a matter of taste. I very much like the Black Coat and have no problem with it from a design standpoint. I just feel like people like Riku and Mickey should not wear it. I agree that Lea should get a new cloth. Isa should too near the end (presuming he would survive).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back