• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

CLASSIC [Magical Library Expansion]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Mylene amuses me to no end. Goodness, she sure is subtle about Bryer having grandkids, eh? xD Chive and Sam seem to be getting along swell. Gosh, I can imagine how awkward it was at first until Chive broke out the embarrassing Bryer stories. lol. And oh my gosh, we get to see Bryer's dad! I can't wait to see how that goes. C: Of course, the whole stuff with the mysterious fox got my attention real fast. Can't wait to see how it resolves. Also, the Bryer and Alice moments are the best!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
After saying goodbye to Chive, I led Samantha through the Sword Guild, agreeing to meet with my mother once she was all set. I took her through a few halls until we reached a large dark room. The ceiling was circular and I saw small white dots shining almost like stars. Samantha let out a small awed gasp as we entered.
“We might be in the Sword Guild, but that doesn't mean we only have sword wielders,” I explained, “We have a few mages from the Magical Library to help us out with a few things like Alice, for example. Then there's the mages who help us out in here in the port point room.”
“What is a port point? You guys mentioned it before, but I've never heard of it.”
“It's basically a magic door that transports you to somewhere else. In our case we're going to have a mage set the coordinates to my dad's house in the mountains. See those arches in the walls?” I pointed towards the empty curved indentations that lined up all around us, “All of those can be used as a port point. The rule of thumb is that if it looks door-ish, it's a port point. So any mage can make a port point almost anywhere... In theory, at least.”
“I thought you didn't know anything about magic, Bryer?”
“Oh, I don't. I've just heard this so many times it's pretty much engraved into my brain.”

“You failed to mention how you would return without a mage,” I heard a familiar female voice ring from somewhere in the darkness.
“...Alice?”
“At your service, as always.” In a sudden flash of light, the mage's face appeared directly in front of me, causing me to step backwards in surprise. “Teleportation is one of the most dangerous pieces of magic to master for newer mages. If they were to lose focus for a single moment while attempting to transport them and their party, the results could be disastrous.
“But port points aren't the same as manual teleportation, right? It's not the same as you grabbing me and taking me somewhere else.”
“Correct. Port points will always show the destination when prepared correctly, thus making them the safer alternative for long distant traveling. However they take time and can be easily interrupted, making them useless in a combat situation.”
“Interrupted? What do you mean?” Samantha asked.
“If the archway is destroyed, the port point is destroyed as well. Or if someone wishes they can use magic to disable the port point. However the biggest issue would be being followed. Once a port point is opened, it takes the mage who created it around three minutes to close it if they are not next to the point of entry.”
“Can't you just destroy the exit, then?” Alice smiled at the suggestion.
“Very good, Samantha. However, depending on the structure used to create the port point, this might not be an option. A port point made of steel or metal would take a while to destroy, much longer than one made of thin wood.”
“So they got you making our port point, Alice?”
“That's right, Bryer.”
“I thought you had some...uh, magical securing to do elsewhere?”
“I haven't forgotten, but when the call came for a port point to the Alma home in the mountains, the Guild asked me to be the one to create it. Bryer, come to this archway, please.” Nodding, I followed the mage toward one of the many structures built into the walls, Samantha trailing behind us. “Normally, a port point would take anywhere between five to ten minutes to create if the mage is unfamiliar with the area. They need descriptions, hints, and visual aides in order to pinpoint the exact archway that will be used as an exit.”
“But since it's you, you're gonna do it an under a minute, right?”
“I might be gifted, Bryer, but I'm not a miracle worker. That being said, I will most likely be able to conjure the exit quicker than most.”
“So you want me to tell you about the spot in the mountains?”
“No, I want you to think about it.” The mage placed an open palm over my face, her pale skin erasing what little light the fake stars above us provided. “Concentrate on the memory of the archway. Close your eyes and visualize it. See it in your mind's eye and lead me to it.”

---

I opened my eyes and saw a single streak of light. It blinded me in my otherwise darkened void and I placed a hand in front of my face to shield myself. Cotton sheets surrounded my body and I fought against them in an attempt to stand, letting out a sharp cry. Familiar surroundings outlined themselves as I stood on the bed, backing myself into a corner.
“Bryer?” I heard my mother call out from somewhere as I tried to piece everything together. This was my room, but not the one in my apartment: this was my dad's house. The door opened suddenly as I saw my mom's red hair slowly poke it's way into my room. “Sweetie? Are you okay?” My breathing was rapid as I stared at my mom for a second, then darted my gaze all around the room.
"What's going on? Why am I here?!”
“Bryer, you took time off, remember? Because of...” Emily. A sudden wetness rolled down my cheeks as I remembered why I had stayed. We just held the funeral behind my dad's house the day before; we had decided to lay her to rest here because she loved the mountain air so much.
“I saved her,” I told my mom while trying to hold back my tears, “I got to the town and she was alive. I did everything right! She should still be here!” I slid down the wall until I was sitting back on the bed, my mom slowly making her way towards me. She held on a hand to me and I took it before being pulled into her in an embrace.
“I'm sorry, Bryer. Life sometimes isn't fair. I'm sorry.”

---

Alice's hand slowly moved away from my face and I felt a small gust of wind blow passed us, making me aware of a cold sweat.
“I apologize, Bryer. I do not believe I should have witnessed that memory.”
“I—“
“If you wish, you can simply describe the area to me.”
“No, it was my fault. It's...not a big deal, really. Try again.” The mage nodded before placing her hand over the exact same spot it was in earlier. There was nothing but silence as I did my best to picture the stone archway my dad built near his home by a stream. I did my best to visualize it without straying away to the rest of the area, including the tombstone that was on the other side of the house. A few minutes later, I heard a soft humming noise in front of me as Alice removed her hand once more.
“Is this the location?” The archway glowed brightly, showing us a few trees as well as the small river. In the distance I could see a two floor house made of a combination of wood and stone.
“That's the place, yeah.” I took a step toward the port point, but Alice placed a hand to my chest, stopping me.
“You still haven't explained to Samantha how you would return here without the help of a mage.”
“Oh, yeah right. Uh, so basically the mage that creates the port point hands us this powder stuff that will reactivate it and lead us back here.” As I explained all of this, the mage reached towards the magical doorway, her hand sucking in small particles from the magic. When she was satisfied, Alice produced a small brown bag and carefully dropped the magical dust into it, sealing it with a bit of knotted string before finally handing it to me. “Once we have the powder, we just throw some of it at the empty archway and the port point will reactivate itself.”
“How long does it stay open when you do it that way?” Samantha asked.
“I think the mage that opened it in the first place senses that it opens up again and has total control over it. Usually they wait around ten minutes before closing it back up.”
“I'm guessing they can also tell when someone goes through the portal? That way they can tell when to close it properly, otherwise the person on the other end might be out of luck.”
“Exactly, Samantha. You're displaying more intellect about the arts than both Bryer and Chive ever did.”
“Gimme a break, Alice.”
“Combined, I might add.”
“Can we just,” I motioned to the portal with both hands in an attempt to move ahead, “you know, get this over with?”
“Certainly. You two can move ahead and I'll explain to Mylene that you went first.”
“Thanks, Alice. You ready, Sam?”
“Yeah. A little nervous though.”
“I thought as much. Don't worry, it happens in a flash.” I held out my hand for her to take, but she shook her head.
“I can handle it,” she told me with a small smile. I returned it and we walked into the portal.

I didn't feel anything as we entered the port point. There was no sudden gust of wind or any kind of supernatural force weighing down on us. It was as if we had walked through any other door leading outdoors and the fact that we had just traveled hundreds of miles in a single second was difficult to get through to my mind. Yet the sunlight was such a strong difference to the room we were just in, and the trees surrounding us were undeniable proof that we were just transported elsewhere in a single fluid motion.
“Whoa.”
“Crazy, right?”
“I thought I'd feel...something. Tingles or goosebumps at least.”
“You would if it was a normal teleportation. Port points are literally just doors.”
“Bryer? Should I be...jealous?”
“What? Jealous?”
“You and Alice get along really well. Too well, even. I kinda feel like the third wheel.”
“No. No, of course not. Alice is a good friend, but that's all she is.”
“I'm just worried I might have rushed us way too fast.”
“You totally did.”
“Excuse me?!”
“That's not a bad thing, though. I needed a swift kick...or a swift kiss? Whatever, I needed someone in my life to make a move. Ever since Emily I've been holding off on any real relationship,” Except that time I hit on the secretary...Not sure what I was thinking, “so in a way a headfirst approach is best for me. You saw how my mom acted with you, right? It's because she's been trying to get me to date someone for a really long time now.”
“So what, are you just going to be with me because you think you need to be?”
“Sam. If I didn't like you, we wouldn't even be having this conversation,” I lightly kissed her forehead before continuing, “the truth is, you're probably the most important person to me.”
“That's so cheesy.” She said with a smile.
“Sorry. I'm not used to this I guess. The point is, you have no reason to be jealous.”

I heard a soft rustling sound from behind us before I could, uh, 'seal the deal,' and turned to face it.
“Aw, did I give myself away?” A female voice said aloud. From behind a tree walked a girl about one year younger than myself. She wore a red chest plate and matching leggings, and was just a little shorter than I was. Her eyes were a dull gray similar to my own but her hair was an almost fiery red. “Hello, Bryer.”
“What the hell are you doing here?” I told her angry.
“Aw, come on. This place isn't under the Guild's jurisdiction, you know that.”
“That doesn't mean you're welcome here.”
“This land doesn't belong to you yet, Bry-Bry. It's still under Viktor Alma's name.”
“Even so, you don't belong here.”
“How rude. You haven't even introduced me to Emily's replacement yet.”
“Lili, you have ten seconds to leave before--”
“Before what? Are you going to stab me with your sword? Strike at me with your dad's hammer? How about, oh I don't know... Shoot me with a crossbow?”
“Hey!” Samantha yelled behind me, “What the hell is wrong with you?!”
“Oh look, the elf can speak our language. Here I thought you were all uncultured swine.”
“Alright, that's it.” The elf grabbed the bow behind her back and stepped in front of me, arrow notched up and ready to go.
“Samantha, wait!”
“You don't have the guts to shoot at me, little elf. Put the bow down.” Without a second's hesitation, Sam let her fingers go of the drawstring, sending the arrow flying at Lili. I saw her eyes flash yellow as she easily stepped to the side, avoiding the projectile.
“Is violence prominent in elves, or just you?” She asked as Sam fired off another arrow. This time Lili grabbed the arrow in mid air and ran in front of Sam at a speed I only barely caught, her fist raised and about to strike at Sam's face. My palm quickly grabbed the girl's fist as she threw the punch, my eyes matching her blaring yellow pupils.
“You will not use my mother's technique like this,” I growled at her as I squeezed her fist, “and unless you want to see firsthand all the things I've learned since your banishment, you will leave this place and never return.” Lili gave me a smile as her eyes returned to their normal gray color.
“Fine. I'll leave,” she told me as she pulled her hand back and made her way to the now empty archway, “but remember this, Bryer. You aren't the only one that's been learning.” She held her hand out towards the doorway and in an instant it activated itself, showing us a dark room similar to the one Sam and I had just came from. “Say hello to mom for me,” was all she said before walking into the port point.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
BRYER HAS A- I want to say it so bad except I don't want to ruin the surprise for Max or anyone else. Oh my god. This chapter. So worth the wait and absolutely head over heels feeling giddy about it! The brief fight scene in the end was outstanding and I love Sam for firing off arrows without holding back. Definitely a strong female character. I like that. <3 Then there's the nice cameo call back to the time Bryer hit on the secretary. (xD) Either way, there was so many good points about this. I really like how sweet Bryer is to Sam though. Good chapter!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
I was going to write more but I'm kind of burnt out at the moment and am still trying to figure out how to write that part up. I also feel like Bryer and Sam's relationship is all over the place here but I keep telling myself this is all just a rough draft anyway, so I can figure it all out as I go (and learn to write better. Rereading some of these sentences proves to me I still have a long way to go).

---

“I'm sorry, Bryer.”
“It's fine, don't worry about it.”
“Are you angry at me?”
“No, I'm not.”
“Because you sound mad.”
“I'm upset, but not at you.”
“You never told me you had a sister.”
“I don't...Not anymore anyway.” I turned to face Sam as we walked towards my dad's house. She kept her eyes low and kept fidgeting with her fingers.
“I was going to shoot her. Didn't even think twice about it.”
“And if it would have worked, I wouldn't have tried to stop you.”
“Her name's Lili?” I didn't answer and instead brought my gaze to my dad's house. “Will you tell me about her?” I let out a frustrated sigh at the question but again, didn't answer. “Bryer?”
“I don't really want to talk about it right now. It's—”
“Oh come on!” She pleaded, “I feel like I'm in the dark way too often in this world and I've only been here for a few hours! I don't even know how far away from the forest I am anymore. At least answer some of my questions.”
Sam!” was all I said. I didn't mean for my tone of voice to be so harsh, but I was having a hard time keeping myself in check and as a result I scolded her. She didn't answer back as we kept walking but after a few seconds I felt a strong pang of guilt hit me in the gut. “I'm sorry, Sam. I didn't expect any of this to happen when I brought you out of the forest. I need to talk to my dad about Lili anyway so I can fill you in then.”
“Fine,”
“And I'm sorry for uh...you know, raising my voice. I know it's not fair to you that—”
“It's fine, Bryer.” Damn, she didn't even make eye contact. I was going to have to make this up to her somehow.

We spent the rest of the short walk in a strained silence. I kept glancing at Samantha but she was more interested in the trees and flowers that we passed by. I was almost sure that if I hadn't soured her mood she would have asked about them but instead, she kept quite and continued fidgeting with her fingers for the rest of the walk. A soft clanging noise rang through the air as we reached the fence that surrounded my dad's house and I noticed a small yellow bell attached to a string near the entrance.
“This is new,” I said aloud before pulling the string. It rang gently through the air, much lighter and softer than I expected it to. In fact, I worried that my dad might not have even heard it. Before I made another move, I heard my dad's voice ring out from the other side of the house.
“In the work shed!” he yelled out.
“Right,” I said softly before leading the elf around the large house. My dad had built this house with the help of some of his friends. Though he could have done so by himself, they offered to find the best location for it on the mountains to avoid it being struck by mudslides, avalanches, floods, and even the best area where the foundation would be resistant to earthquakes. He often joked it was probably one of the safest places for a human to live as long as they could handle the occasional curious bear. The house itself was built out of wood from the nearby trees and stones carved out from a local cave. The majority of the outside portion of the house was constructed out of the grey stone but the brown wood was present in small segments, mostly around the windows. In contrast, the inside was mostly wood, save for a few places like the chimney. At first he had trouble with insects getting inside and chewing out the wood, but managed to hire a mage to place a ward to stop them. Smiling at the memories my dad had shared with me, I rounded the backside corner of the house with Sam following behind. A second smaller building was waiting for us and the door was wide open, as if inviting us inside. What my dad called his work shed was actually where he kept his forge and smith tools. As I walked inside I saw the familiar sights of the two large black anvils, the dual fire pits, water hole, and a wall full of small hammers and other tools. My father stood with his back to us as he swung a hammer at the anvil closer to the right hand wall. I couldn't see what he was working on, but his left hand gripped a tong that held on to a handle that reminded me of a sword's hilt.
“I heard you'd be coming 'round,” he said before swinging the hammer down, “was worried you'd be gone forever.”

“Really?” My dad stopped mid-swing and turned around sharply. He was about a head taller than myself and though I might not have a muscular build, I looked like a strong man when compared to him. He was rather thin and lanky and his once pale skin had darkened ever so slightly over the years. His black eyes had dark bags under them, the side effect of a human who had lived away from the sun and lost track of daylight for years. His dark grey hair was unkempt and was mostly covered by a black rag. He was a very raw contradiction to my mom's scarlet prestige image, so I wasn't surprised when Samantha took a step backwards.
“Bryer!” Viktor called as he left his work at the anvil, the tong of which dangled dangerously near the edge of the anvil, “I thought Mylene was coming!” He ran up to me and gave me a tight hug, bringing with him the smell of fire and ash. It was a smell I had come to love as a child while watching him work on weapons and armor. As I embraced my father, I started to lose track of my troubles with Lili and Sam and felt more at home.
“She's on her way, dad. I just wanted to come along for the ride is all.”
“Glad you did, boy. It's been too long since I've seen you around these parts.”
“I know. The Guild has me busy. Still a leashed dog, I guess.”
“You're only constrained because you need to see how the world works first, Bryer. You'll be at your mother's level soon enough,” My dad let go of me and rubbed the top of my head before looking behind me. “And who's this lovely lady?”
“Oh sorry. Sam, this is my dad, Viktor. Dad, this is Samantha, she's--”
“I'm...! I'm...! I'm Bryer's girlfriend!” She exclaimed, causing my face to burn as I looked away from my dad, “I'm a little upset at your son right now but are you really his dad?”
“I...uh, yeah?”
“I mean, is he adopted, or...?”
“No, why?”
“It's just...I don't really see a resemblance.”
“Aw, yeah. Well, the kids took after their mother, thankfully. Can you imagine a sickly looking guy like me running around with a weapon trying to hunt down monsters? Hwahaha!”
“Dad? Do the thing.”
“The thing?”
“The thing when you have to hammer really quickly.”
“Oh! That thing. Sure, why not.”

My dad walked back to the anvil he was just at and removed his shirt, revealing just how skinny he really was: his rib cage was just barely visible as he faced us and some might even say he looked malnourished. He inhaled deeply once and exhaled before looking strained. In a split second he opened his eyes and gone was the lanky father Sam had met, replaced with a mountain of a man. His thin arms broadened as they bulged with muscles, his ribcage replaced with rough abs, and he had grown at least a foot or two taller. “Why are you upset with my son?!” He roared at Samantha, his voice booming. The elf let out a shriek before diving behind me, clutching at my shoulders.
“Bryer, I'm sorry! I'm not mad anymore! I promise!”
“What?”
“Call him off!” I heard my dad chuckle as he deflated back to his scrawly self.
“Sorry, I guess I should have warned you,” he said as he put his shirt back on.
“What the hell was that?!”
“Huh? Oh, it's something I've been able to do ever since I was a little tyke. No one's been able to figure out the specifics, but I can amplify my physical strength for a while.”
“That's awesome!” She cried, suddenly sliding away from her previous 'terrified' state, “Why aren't you always just super strong?”
“It hurts after a while is why! I passed out once while I was like that and was only saved because the mages in the Library kept me going.” Sam nodded before looking at me longingly, almost pleading me to prove I could do it to.
“Don't give me that look, Sam. If I could do something like that you would have seen it by now.”
“Yep, it ain't genetic. I think I'm the only one with something like it. Must be why the dwarves liked me so much.”
“My dad was an apprentice to a dwarf. He lived with them underground for a few years. He's probably the best human blacksmith there is.”
“That probably isn't true. Even if it was, them dwarves are something else entirely. I don't hold a candle to them. Now, why are you upset with my son?”
“You aren't going to buff out on me again, are you?” The elf asked, worryingly.
“Haha, nah. 'Course not.”
“It's about...uh, well,” Sam looked at me, unsure of herself.
“It's about Lili,” I told him, causing his face to drop.
“You saw her.”
“Bryer won't talk about it! And it's making me feel like I have more questions than answers, especially since this is my first day out of the forest!”
“Forest?”
“I'm from Eveholm.”
“Eveholm?”
“Mom never told you? It's a village in the Bluefield Forest made up of only elves.”
“No, she never mentioned it. She must have not thought it was important enough.”
“So Mr. Alma, can you tell me about Bryer's sister?”
“Why was she here, dad? You know she's banished from Blueshire.”
“Maybe, but we aren't technically in Blueshire, Bryer.”
“But--”
“And she's my daughter. No matter what she did, that fact will never change. Let's go inside. I'll set us up something to drink and I can explain it to little Sam, here.”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Bryer's dad is so freaking awesome. C: He's slightly different from what I imagined him to be, but the whole sudden growth thing was hilarious. Sam declaring she's Bryer's girlfriend was a surprise. I really enjoyed this chapter because, it's neat his dad work for a bunch of dwarfs and learned his blacksmith skills that way. And I agree with his dad on this one, when it comes to Lili. Dying to know why she was banished from Blueshire.

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
The next post after this should be the end of Remembrance, I think. I might get another one or two squeezed in before that. Not too sure. I hated writing this part though. I wasn't sure how to get all the information I needed to relay in an efficient manner that also didn't read like ass. I don't think I did too good of a job but, as always, this is just a rough draft. Please excuse any spelling/grammar mistakes. It's late and I'm not thinking straight. The smart thing to do would be to wait until tomorrow to proofread this and then post it, but I'm not a smart man. Feel free to ask if something doesn't make sense or if I didn't explain/elaborate on something well enough: I get the feeling I forgot to add something but I'm not sure what it is.

---
“I'm not letting you pronounce her dead.”
“Bryer, we understand how you feel, but--”
“She's out there. I know she is!”
“It's been three years, Bryer.”
“You think I don't know that? Every morning I wake up to see her missing. Her room is just the way she left it even though she isn't here. You don't think it kills me inside to know she's been gone for three years?”
“We understand, but the laws state that after the third year of one's disappearance, they are considered legally dead.”
“My sister is alive.” The man on the other side of the table didn't respond at first. Instead he let out a long sigh.
“The longer you hold this off, the harder it will be in the long run.”
“We'll see,” I stood from my chair as the man did the same, “out of her entire platoon, every single body has been accounted for. When her ship went down everyone died but her. Don't you think it's odd that she's the only one still missing?” Again, the man didn't answer, “She's still out there somewhere. And we'll find her.”

I walked down the steps that led to the Sword Guild, finding a pale girl waiting for me.
“How'd it go?”
“Pretty much how I thought it would. I can't let them declare her dead, Emily.”
“I know. There's not much we can really do though.”
“We'll just have to wait,” she told me as she slipped her fingers between my own. The weeks that passed were pretty uneventful, but I remember the morning where something amazing happened. I had woken up to find a cup of coffee waiting for me just like every other morning before, but Emily was no where to be found. It wasn't until around an hour later of me worrying over her did she come back home with news.
“Where've you been, Emily? I was getting worried,” I said as she entered the apartment.
“There was a summons for you earlier but I went ahead for you.”
“A summons?”
“Yeah, from the Sword Guild.”
“Must not have been too important if they let you sub in for me, right?”
“...Actually, there's something you need to see.” I wasn't really sure what she was talking about but she looked a little nervous. I hadn't realized until she reached out for my hand, but she was shaking a little bit.
“Emily, what's going on?”
“Bryer, please,” was the closest thing to an answer she gave me. I inhaled quickly and took reached out to her.

We were standing outside the door to the Guild's Sick Bay though I still didn't know what we were doing here.
“What's going on? Are you sick?”
“No, nothing like that,” Emily said as she placed a hand over the doorknob, “just remember she might not be the same person you remember...or at least, that's what the medic told me.” I felt myself lose my breath as she said this and once she opened the door I saw the face of my sister, who many believed to have died in a boat accident two years ago while she and a platoon went offshore for a mission. She was sitting in a cot with a small mattress on it, her red hair unnaturally short and covered in scratches and scars.
“L-Lili!”I cried, racing towards her before wrapping my arms around my sister. “I knew you were alive. I just knew it.” But she didn't move. She didn't answer, or make any kind of recognition. I let go of her and looked at her. Growing up, people always told me we shared the same eyes. Same color, shape, everything. As I looked into her's, I realized they were different, almost empty. Then she smiled at me and the light turned back on, returning my sister to me.
“Bryer,” She mumbled, “Bryer. You're here!” Lili grabbed me and pulled me into another hug, pressing her face against my chest.
-
“So how's Lili doing, Bryer?” Emily asked as we walked passed a window showing me the now snow-covered town.
“Great! She's been back what, three, four weeks? And she's already come back into the Guild. The doctors say it's pretty miraculous how quickly she's recovered, both physically and mentally. Add in a little magical surgery along with letting her hair grow out and she looks just like she did before she went missing. Hell, we're about to go interrogate some people involved in a smuggling ring. It'll be just like old times.”
“Oh you mean the Fenton case?”
“Yeah,”
“Those guys we caught are innocent though. Their alibi checked out.”
“Really? Well never mind then. She's probably waiting for me in that room with those three fellows. Poor guys are probably scared out of their minds.”
“They'll be able to go home though.”
“Yeah,” we reached the door where the men were being held when an odd odor reached me. “Do you smell that?” I asked.
“Yeah...it smells almost familiar,” Emily answered back as I opened the door to the interrogation room. As soon as I did, the smell overwhelmed me and I had to take a step back. The room itself was very poorly lit and could only make out the silhouette of a woman standing in the middle of the room with three chairs behind her. Lili was facing us and as she took a step forward, the smell of blood became stronger.
“They wouldn't talk,” she told us absently as she twirled a curved knife between her fingers, “I tried. I tried so hard, Bryer. They wouldn't talk...So I made them.”
“Lili...what...what have you done?” My mind was completely blank as I stared at my blood-covered sister. She had spots of blood all over herself: on her skin, clothing, hair, it was just everywhere. But what terrified me the most was her tone of voice and eyes. She seemed almost listless, as if she had done nothing wrong...but her eyes... They were just like back when she first came back. They were empty.
“They wouldn't talk, Bryer,” She repeated, “I tried so hard. Even when they spoke, I knew they were lying. So I decided that if they weren't going to talk, they weren't going to do anything.” She held out the curved dagger out towards me, but I didn't budge.
“L-Lili...”
“I'm sorry, brother. I tried. Can you forgive me?”

---​

“She was banished shortly after that,” I told Samantha. The three of us were seated at my dad's dining room table. He had served a few small sandwiches and juice drinks, but none of us touched any of it.
“What...what did she do to them?” Sam asked.
“We have it listed as 'mutilation' in the records. 'An unstable agent of the Sword Guild turned rouge and mutilated three innocent detainees.' That's what the investigator in charge wrote down. But those men...They were tortured. With nothing but a dagger she managed to strike the exact nerve points needed in order to deal the most pain possible without killing them. When they didn't have any information, she killed them. Imagine, hearing the person next to you cry out in agony knowing you'd be next. It's no wonder she was considered unstable after that.”
“Did she learn that in the Guild?”
“No way. She didn't talk about the time she spent missing too much, but she did mention being surrounded by people who might as well have been monsters. She did what she had to to survive, but she lost something at the same time. Whatever happened, what they told me before I saw her was right: she was not the person I remembered. Not by a long shot.” Samantha slammed on the table, startling me.
“If she's unstable, why banish her?! Shouldn't she have gotten help?!”
“She did. The help didn't help. No matter what she went through she kept showing unnaturally violent tendencies. To make it even worse, she almost seemed to be enjoying causing others harm. She was considered beyond saving.”
“And that's why you're mad at her?”
“I'm not mad at her...I'm just, I don't know, worried. I told her to meet with Maryanne—that is, Emily's sister—who works for the Flying Lancers of Fayfield to get help. Or even with the Magical Library there in hopes they might be able to help but I doubt she ever did. If she was found wandering around in Blueshire...”
“Wh—what would happen?”
“We'll have a funeral to attend.”
“They'll kill her?!”
“She's been on the run from the Guild. Technically she never paid for the torture she committed on two of the three men. The banishment was the sentence for only one of them, the other two punishments were going to be decided the following day. But she somehow escaped.”
“Really?”
“The lock to her cell was obliterated, almost as if it exploded from the inside. No on saw anyone enter before or after her escape, including herself.”
“So someone broke her out?”
“It looks that way, but I don't have a single clue as to who that could be.”
“Why didn't you bring her in earlier, then? You had a chance to—”
“She's my sister, Sam. I can't bring her in to die.”
“So it's not okay for her to die, but it's okay for her—an 'unstable' person—to freely roam anywhere that isn't Blueshire?” I balled my hands into fists in frustration; she was right. If this was anyone else I would have hunted them down. Had this person been a random officer in the Guild that snapped, I would have stopped at nothing to bring them in. But this wasn't a random officer: this was Lili.
“I can't,” I said weakly. Thankfully, Samantha dropped the point and instead turned to my father, who had remained silent the entire time.
“So, just what was she doing here?” I turned to face my dad, curious about the answer.
“She wanted me to check and repair her armor and sword.”
“You didn't—”
“Now now, calm down. One look at them was all I needed to know they didn't need any kind of repairs. I think she just came by to see her old man. It must be hard on her, you know.”
“I—” The sound of a small bell ringing in the distance interrupted me before I could get my thoughts out.
“That must be your mother,” dad said, “how's my hair?”
“Covered in soot and ash.”
“Just like she likes it.”

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
CD, what on earth are you talking about? I just read this and thought it was awesome. Everything made sense! XD

Onward to the story review: Holy crap is Bryer's sister messed up in the head. I found that quite frightening. I mean, she kept asking for his forgiveness after what she did. I get where Bryer is coming from, but damn, what would happen if it were Sam being interrogated by Lili? Heck, I hope he keeps Sam safe in the meantime with her on the loose. Whereas, I love Bryer's dad in all of this and asking about his hair. <3 I totally ship him with Bryer's mom right now. lol. I enjoyed reading this a lot!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
CLASSIC [Remembrance (End)]

It's been almost a year since I started Remembrance, but here's where the train stops for this expansion. Overall I felt as though I could have done a better job with the flashbacks as well as expanding more with the relationships. One thing that's definitely going to change is that conversation between Alice and Chive where she says she had feelings for Bryer. What I want instead is for her to say she'd do anything for him out of loyalty and that, over time, she knows she would develop feelings for him if they went through with Chive's plan of making them both date to help him get over Emily's death. That's the good thing about writing a draft: you can change literally anything. I enjoyed how it all came out though and look forward to writing more CLASSIC! Fun fact, this song was how I imagined Remembrance going as I wrote the first parts of it since the lyrics matched what I was planning, but as I went, things changed just enough to redirect the tone from 'not getting over you,' to 'acceptance.' Just a little something fun I wanted to share.
---

“Aren't you going to go with your dad?”
“Nah, they're probably going to get all sappy,” I told Samantha before sipping a bit of my drink. I noticed her eying me and I sighed in response. “You want to hear more about my sister?”
“No, not really. I just...didn't realize how much stuff you've been through.”
“What do you mean?”
“When I first met you, you were just a blank slate to me. Like, here's this guy with a sword who's part of some guild thingie and that was it. But now I know you have a history. You're a real person who has lived a full life so far and it's really weird to think about.”
“So I was just another pretty face?” I said, trying to lighten my own mood up a bit.
“Ha, I guess so. A pretty face that saved my life.” I let out a short laugh as my parents walked into the kitchen.
“Your father was just telling me that Lili was here,” my mother said before taking a seat next to me.
“Yeah. We might have bumped into her.”
“How was she? Did she seem well?”
“Well, she's not starving, at least,” my dad interjected, “I even offered her a meal but she didn't want anything of the sort.”
“She seemed angry though,” I said, “She was thinking straight, but was ready to fight.” None of us said anything for a few seconds until Mylene finally spoke up.
“We should tell the Guild.”
“I know. It'll be a bad idea for us to get directly involved with her, but at least we can help keep tabs on her. Maybe then the Flying Lancers can take her in and watch over her or something.” My mother nodded before smiling.
“Enough of that though! Look, Bryer! Look what I've got for you!” She pulled a sheathed sword from her bag and placed it on the table.
“Ah, you really didn't need to. Mine is fine--”
“Now hold on, you haven't seen the best part!” She pulled the sword out of its scabbard, and I gasped as I saw the familiar blade adorned with a single red gem on the white hilt.
“Th-this is...”
“It's Emily's sword, Bryer.”
“How did you find it?! I thought it was lost when she...”
“Chive did. I asked him to look for it before I left and it took him all this time to track it down.”
“But there weren't any clues to go off on! It should have been impossible!”
“For us, maybe. But the Band of Thieves can get their hands on anything if they want it badly enough. And Chive really really wanted this sword. For you. I waited until now to tell you about it because your father's going to touch it up.” I carefully grabbed the blade and placed it back into its sheath, doing my best to not choke up.
“Thank you. Thank you so much.” I wasn't doing a good job, as I felt my eyes tear up a bit. “Can I get a minute? I'm going to go visit Emily.”

I exited through the back door and briskly walked passed dad's forge, following the dirt path he had set up through another gate. It led me into an area dotted with trees and the river once again greeted me, running alongside the little road I traversed. A small bridge took me over the river before I walked along the opposite side of it and it didn't take long for me to reach a clearing. The sun shone brightly through the large hole provided and I noted a small hare hopping near the opposite edge. I ignored it and walked to the center where an abundance of various flowers were blooming in front of a single grey tombstone. Her name was written on it along with her date of birth and date of death. I stopped before it, clutching her sword tightly.
“Hi, Emily,” I started, “sorry I haven't visited in a while. The Guild's got me roped up a lot lately. I...crap, I didn't bring a flower or anything, haha. 'That's so like you, Bryer.' That's what you're saying right now, huh? 'You never think these kind of things out all the way!' No, I guess I don't... Though I've been thinking about the past more lately. About you, my sister, myself... A little bit of everything. I've met a few new friends since last time I was here too! There's this girl named Alice, she's like, one of the best mages ever but she's so hard to read! She this habit of pulling off jokes with such a straight face, and...man. You would have gotten along with her great. Then there's... there's this girl named Samantha. She's an elf from a village in the middle of the Bluefield forest. Did you know that was there? Because I had no idea. She's...she's something. I... she's... we're... well, it's... complicated. And hard to talk about with you, Emily. Am I allowed to follow my feelings like this? It feels like I'm betraying you a little bit, to be honest. What would you want me to do? ...You wouldn't want me to suffer, I know that much, but is it really okay for me to be with someone else? Would I be betraying your memory? I just don't know, Emily.” I fell to my knees, placing the sword beside Emily's tombstone. Once again, I felt my throat tighten up as I did my best to hold back tears. “Chive found this. It's amazing how good he is at his job. He found it for me, too. My mother asked him to, but ultimately he did it for me. I owe him big time now, don't I? Hah...” I rubbed my arm against my eyes, wiping away the wetness that had formed. “I'm sorry. Look at me, crying like a big baby. You'd think I'd be... I don't know, used to this or something. You should have to see me like this. 'You're better than this, Bryer. I know you can keep going,' right? Well I'm not gonna stop but...it's just hard, you know? Having to keep going by myself. 'You're not alone anymore though, right?' ...I don't know if you'd actually say that. Sorry, I shouldn't put words in your mouth. You know, every morning, I still...I still expect a mug of coffee waiting for me by my bedside. I haven't had coffee in a little over a year, and yet I still expect you to be there with a smile on your face... Oh gods...”

A sudden noise from behind caught my attention and I quickly whipped around, unsure of what to expect. Sam was standing behind a tree, and shrunk herself behind it as I turned.
“Sam?!”
“I'm sorry!” She cried as she came out, guilt written all over her face.
“Were you...were you eavesdropping?!” I felt a flash of anger at the idea of having my personal and intimate moment being secretly watched.
“No! No, of course not! I just got here and didn't want to interr--”
“Sam!”
“I'm sorry, Bryer! I didn't mean too! Please don't be mad at me!” She cried, holding her head with both hands while looking away from me. I sighed before looking back at the tombstone. When I looked back I realized Sam was carrying a pair of flowers.
“Are those tulips?” I asked, my anger quelling itself.
“Your mom said to bring them. You forgot one.” I rubbed my left arm, suddenly feeling like a monster for yelling at her.
“Come here, Sam,” I told her kindly, “I want you to meet Emily.” She slowly approached, her face still a little worried though she handed me one of the tulips and held her hand with my free one. I gave her a soft squeeze as I placed my flower next to Emily's sword. “I'm sorry for getting mad. It wasn't fair to you.”
“No, no I should have said something or backed away...” She told me before placing her flower next to my own. “How long has it been...?”
“She's been gone a little over a year.”
“Does it still hurt?”
“Everyday. But it's not as bad when you're around. Gods, am I allowed to say something like that?”
“Why wouldn't you?”
“It's so unfair to her! Should I be able to just...move on like that? It feels wrong.”
“What would she want for you, Bryer? Would she want you to stay alone forever? Do you think she wants you be sad and by yourself?”
“No... No, of course not.”
“I don't think it's a betrayal. You're always going to remember her.”
“Mmm...”
“It's going to be awkward during the afterlife, though.” I let out a sudden burst of laughter at this, but recovered quickly. “It'll be okay,” Sam told me after I calmed down.
“Everything will be okay,” I agreed.

---

Chive led me deep into the woods. He told me he had found him, and I agreed to follow him. In a secluded area of the woods was a large out of place concrete square room. We walked inside where there was only one dimly lit room. A single light bulb swung above us and a man had been tied against a wooden chair. He was blinded by a rag tied around his head, covering his eyes.
“This is the guy?” I asked. Chive didn't answer. “Did he kill Emily?” I repeated, forcefully.
“Yeah. I made sure it was him.”
“Hello? Who's there?!” The man cried out.
“Shut the hell up,” I answered, pushing the chair over, causing him to fall backwards. “Do you have a place?” I asked Chive.
“Yeah. No one'll find him. This place will vanish too. No mess, no clean up.” The man whimpered as I pulled him back up.
“You killed someone important to me,” I whispered to him, “someone very important. Now you're going to--” A sudden memory of my sister covered in blood flashed through my mind, stopping me mid-sentence. I backed away slightly, my resolve cracking. I steeled myself before exhaling sharply.
“None of this will be recorded, mate,” Chive told me as he handed me one of his throwing knives, “this is your private revenge.” The dagger reminded me so much of the knife my sister had used to torture those three men. But—this man was not innocent. He committed a crime and I was going to make him suffer for it by my own hand. I brought the dagger to the man's arm, the cold steel pressing against his skin caused him to whimper again and I let out a cry as I once again pushed the chair over, though the man was unharmed. I handed the dagger back to Chive:
“I can't, man. I wish I could, but this isn't me. Get in touch with the Flying Lancers. Mary'll love to get her hands on this guy.”

---

I felt Samantha move from under the covers. I had held on to her closely as we slept, but she managed to carefully wrestle herself away from me before slowly climbing out of bed in the early morning. This had caused me to wake but slumber still held a commanding grip on me and I quickly fell back to sleep. A few minutes passed and I once again awoke, though still groggy. I turned in bed and my face met with Samantha's pillow. It still smelled like her: the scent of greens and flowers, just like the forest. This lulled me even closer to sleep though I heard something being placed on the nightstand next to the bed. Turning to face it, I saw a porcelain mug sitting there, along with Sam standing over it, adding two spoonfuls of sugar.
“...Sam?” I croaked.
“Hi, Bryer. Your mom said this is how you take your coffee? A bit of milk and two spoons of sugar? I never made coffee by myself but it doesn't seem too complicated.” I slowly sat on the bed, admiring Samantha in the morning glow. “Here,” she told me before handing me the mug. I was hesitant at first, but for the first time time in over a year, I drank coffee.
[Remembrance, End]

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This had the greatest ending of all time. I immensely enjoyed this despite feeling a little sad to see this come to an end. It was a pleasure to read each update, and change thread titles for it as well. I was greatly taken aback at the idea of Bryer meeting the one responsible for Emily's death. I never imagined him seeking revenge. Chive has been with him through a lot too. Quite the flashback. Furthermore, I thought the ending was sweet with Sam making coffee for Bryer. Overall, bravo. The bit with Emily had me choke up btw. </3

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Magical Library Expansion

“Get any archers and mages we have on the roofs and battlements. Set up the ballistas as well. Not one of them gets into the city!” My mother told a colonel.
“Yes, ma'am. We are almost finished preparing the troops as well.”
“Good. Move out and get ready for a fight.” The general nodded before running off. Mylene made her way towards us. “You three need to gear up as well. We'll need all the help we can get.”
“Even from a 'lil old thief like me?” Chive cooed.
“Especially from a thief like you. Get in from behind and flank them. I assume you have enough experience with killing in a single strike?”
“'Course.”
“Good. Samantha, I want you up there with the the other archers. Cover us while we--”
“Actually, mo—Mylene. I want Sam to go back to the forest.”
“What?! No, I'm going to help!”
“I agree with her, Bryer. Every pair of hands we get would be a large asset to this defense.”
“Exactly. I want her to go in and try to get any other elves to help. I know it's a long shot, but still. Regardless of whether they help or not, she can cover the forest. Who else knows that area better than her? Whenever we're attacked, the enemy always crosses through the forest and sends group after group through there because we either have our hands full dealing with other fronts or are too wary to enter. Cutting them off from that entry point would greatly relieve pressure for us.” My mother rubbed her chin, thinking the idea over.
“Samantha? What do you think?”
“I'm okay with this,” the elf said quickly, “this wouldn't be the first time our woods have been crushed under the foot of others with no regard. I know more than a few elves wanted to get involved in the passed, but nan forbade it. I might be able to change her mind though.”
“It's dangerous,” I told her, “both to you and anyone else who decides to get involved. Do you want an escort into the forest?”
“No, I'll be fine. They haven't started the attack yet and taking the back way into the forest gives me a lot of coverage. I'll be fine.”
“Okay, get going. Please be safe.”
“Right. You too,” She turned to leave, but quickly double backed, giving me a quick peck on the lips. “For luck,” she told me before running off.
“What a wonderful daughter-in-law,” my mother said happily.
“We aren't married, mom.”
“Not married yet.
“You just can't help yourself, can you?”
“I just so happy for you two! She smiles so much more often than that other girl, too! I like Samantha better for you.”
“What, were you seriously thinking Alice and I were going to be a thing?”
“Yes, of course!”
“You're weird, mom. Where is Alice, anyway? Is she up top with the other mages?”
“No, she said she had an idea and went into one of the underground rooms. I don't know what she's planning but if what you say is true of her power, then I assume it's important and will turn the tide in our favor.” I nodded in agreement. I was really hoping Alice would be watching all of our backs out there. Still, if she has an idea, it's probably worth her following up on it. “Get your helmet on, son. I need you out there too. Do not overextend yourself though. Am I clear?”
“Yes, ma'am.”

Monster attacks are very rare, especially an attack on a town as large as Azure. Because the main building for the Sword Guild is located here, this is considered one of the safest towns in Blueshire. Unfortunately, whenever an attack does happen, it's usually a big one. There are four main entrances into the town: one in each compass direction. A large wall stretches all around Azure with battlements for ranged units to defend from. The walls are also loaded with ballistas, small catapults, and large pots that can easily be turned over when filled with boiling liquid to deter wall crawlers. I stood outside the western gate with many of the Blueshire's official army as well as Sword Guild members behind me. Even a few Axe Brigade units were with us, of which specialized in heavy weapons such as war axes, polearms, hammers, and other such weaponry. Though in day-to-day life we all occasionally butted heads with one another, we were still united in defending our town.
“Captain Alma,” I heard a female call out. She wore armor that marked her as part of the royal military, and I nodded to her in respect. “The royals are all secure in the panic room. There are additional guards both inside and outside of it as well.”
“Good. Thank you for telling me. Others in your position might 'forget' to inform a member of the Guild of these things.”
“We're on the same side, sir. No matter what petty war of ego we might have, none of it matters in these situations.” I nodded again, agreeing with her.
“Yes. Again, thank you. Carry on and follow whatever orders your superior has left for you.”
“Sir.” The woman gave a quick salute before filing herself in with the other fighters behind me.
“So the royals are safe, huh?” One of the units beside me said. He wore a surprisingly small amount of armor and carried a large war hammer with both hands. At first I worried that the Axe Brigade was lacking funds to properly equip their men but remembered that many of the members were much more extreme than most people, and loved the rush of fighting so close to death. It was not a tactic I ever wanted to follow. “Must be nice. Safe and warm in a room. They're probably dining on delicious food as well while we're out here risking our necks for them.”
“If it makes you feel any better,” I said, “I have it on good authority that the food in the panic room is stale and nearly spoiled,”
“Oh goody, then we get hear them complain after this is all over.”
“You don't seem to think much for our leaders.”
“I'm just cranky. Doesn't it bother you knowing you might die today defending them?”
“It's what we signed up for. If you don't like it, you're free to leave.”
“What? And miss out on the action? Not likely.” I smiled before looking at the forest that blocked some of our view. We called the west end the 'high-stake area.' This was because the Bluefield Forest boarded the northern area of town, but still sprawled outward enough to block the view from the west. This meant that attackers could enter an area of the forest and exit near the western gate without us realizing it until they were at our doorstep. Or they could exit just outside our field of view, shaded by the trees before springing out on us while we were distracted with something else. This made the western gate the most vital area to watch, but if my plan with Samantha went through, we might have an easier time dealing with it. This was also why I requested to be placed in the high-stake area: so that I could keep an eye on Sam if she decided to come out of the forest.

It didn't take long for the crowd of monsters to appear in our field of vision. There were so many of them it was like watching a colony of ants march toward us. They were all humanoid, though their appearance was more of that of a pig: snout nose, ears at the top of their heads, and fangs were visible as they marched toward us, as were their weaponry. They all had different types of tools ranging from swords to lances, much as we did. I kept an eye on the forest, waiting for more pigmen to appear but so far no reinforcements came. I took a deep breath before giving the order everyone was waiting for.
“Attack!” I unsheathed Emily's blade and led the charge forward as the catapults and balistas fired behind us. An explosion rocked the area as the catapult’s payload struck the ranks, having been fused with explosives. Two seconds later, the ballista's own attack landed though there was no explosion and it instead simply crushed those unfortunate enough to be in its path, as well as blocking others from using that same route. Some of the creatures paused to see what was happening behind them though most of them kept going and ignored the commotion. First contact was the most dangerous part of any battle. When the two forces clashed together there was always a large risk involved for those involved. This was life or death. Survive unscathed, or get crippled as soon as the fight begins while trapped between the enemy and your own troop swinging their weapons. As we neared the wave of enemies, I gave myself a burst of speed which pushed me ahead of the crowd. This made me the very first person within striking range, but it was also unexpected enough that I easily got the first swing on the creature in front of me. I sliced at the creature's neck then rammed into it with my armored shoulder, knocking it into those behind it. As this happened, the two monsters either side of the one I had slain rose their weapons to retaliate against me, but my teammates were already there, striking at their foes and preventing their attacks. Another explosion landed somewhere beyond my field of view as the ballistas reloaded their ammunition, slimming out the ranks even more. I climbed the body of the first fallen swine before stabbing at the one just passed it, easily taking it out. After the initial clash, the creatures thinned in rank, having used a closely knit attack pattern for their first contact. Though their numbers were many, they were spread out and somewhat isolated. I realized this would make the ranged attacks difficult without causing friendly fire but at least we had the archers and the mages keeping watch if any of the pigmen slipped through and started banging at the gates. I halted my advance while those behind me rushed passed as I once again glanced at the forest entrance. No additional monsters had emerged so far, which made me think Sam had successfully prevented reinforcements. I could almost imagine her jumping from branch to branch shooting arrows from above.
“Big guy!” Someone cried out, catching my attention. Farther ahead was a larger beast wielding a club. It was twice the size of the others and swung with such might that three of our men were tossed aside.
“They ain't gonna be able to take it out alone, captain,” the hammer user from before said, “why don't we give them a hand?” I nodded as we rushed toward the beast. As we arrived it sneered at us, almost as if our presence offended it.
“Okay, I'll go left and you go right,” I told him, knowing he would need the extra room to swing his large weapon effectively. He nodded before rushing into the fray. I followed behind while I kept a bit of a distance, trying to remain out of the monster's immediate presence of mind. My comrade swung his weapons savagely as the monster swung its own to meet his, as the two clashed loudly. As they did so, I ran behind the monster preparing my own swing but found another man about to do the same.
“Chive?!”
“Hey, Bry-Bry. Fancy meeting you here.” As much as I wanted to banter with him, I knew we had to take this guy out before it had the chance to continue attacking. I stabbed my sword at where I believed its heart would be as my friend reached over the monster's shoulders before slicing its neck. The large pigman fell forward as it died and the Axe Brigade member was smiling as it fell. He quickly returned to the fighting as Chive patted me twice on the shoulder, trying to catch my attention. He quickly pointed at the edge of the forest and I noticed a stream of arrows flying from within, aiding our cause. “I'm guessin' that's your doin'?” Chive asked
“I had Sam try to get the elves to help.”
“Right. I'm off though. More monsters to flank.” I nodded before returning to the battle myself, completely losing Chive in the crowd.

Though we were holding ourselves well, we were still being swarmed. Just when it felt as though we were winning the fight, more monsters appeared. A never ending hoard, I thought grimly as I backed myself closer to the town wall. I had overextended myself a bit despite my mother's warnings and had suffered a few cuts from behind and on my arms. The rest of my troop followed along, getting closer to the wall in order for the ranged units to relieve a bit of the pressure.
“Captain, what do we do?” The woman from the royal guard was at my side and looked just as battered and tired as I was.
“We keep fighting. I take out a large number of their front guard and give us more breathing room.”
“How?!” I inhaled deeply, trying my best to spark the skill my mother had left behind. If I could activate it and travel at a high speed, I would be able to take out multiple foes out at once, giving us the edge. Unfortunately, I lost my concentration as the ground below us quivered slightly.
“An earthquake?” Someone asked. Before anyone could answer, a bleach white arm struck out from the ground, startling everyone who witnessed it. The arm grasped at the ground before an entire skeleton rose from the earth.
“More?! Surely we are doomed!” I heard a melodramatic solder cry. But something was wrong: the skeleton was facing away from us and had ran away from the city wall. Soon more skeletons appeared, clamoring out of the ground just like the first one and they all rushed toward the monsters. Not only that, they were attacking the pigmen! I slowly realized the skeletons had a faint purple haze surrounding them, and then it all clicked into place.
“This is necromancy!” I yelled, “The skeletons are on our side! The dead aide the living, we are sure to win!” Through a combination of boosted morale, additional troops, and combined fire from the elves, we were slowly knocking all the monsters down. Just as it seemed as if victory was within our grasp, another challenge appeared. An even larger pigman emerged our line of sight as one of the last enemy troop. I panted heavily as the same man from earlier approached me. At first I thought he was going to offer another tag team against the large enemy, he instead sighed heavily.
“I don't think I'd survive the blow,” he said as the beast easily gained ground, “I'm too worn out.” I nodded in acknowledgment. Already the monster was passing the forest boarder, though the arrows that struck it seemed to do next to nothing to it.
“In that case, I'll take it down before--” A sudden red streak flashed passed us and in a flash, my mother stood before the monster.
“The Scarlet Lightning Bolt,” a soldier whispered. I watched as my mother stared at the large pigman, waiting for it to strike. Sure enough, the large monster swung its club downward but she was too quick and dashed out of the way in another red blur. It swung its weapons sideways and though I expected her to dodge once more, my mother instead slashed her sword against the large club, matching its strength with an extreme speed. The clash caused the pigman to lose balance and in that moment, my mother struck so quickly, none of us even saw the actual attack. All we saw was the monster's head slowly slide off the neck before the beast's body collapsed. The enemy was thus routed and the town saved.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Wow. What a chapter. This had a load of action in it that I wasn't expecting. Was it Alice's doing in necromancy to aide the fight? I thought it was really cool to see Bryer's mom help save the day towards the end there. Seriously, his mom is cool. <3 I like how Sam didn't end up on the side lines and could help from within her forest. Plus, it was awesome to see Chive get in on some action too. I'm also greatly surprised that it was monsters coming to attack Blueshire too. And oh my gosh, Bryer's mom shipping Bryer with Sam or Alice is awesome. <333 As always, loved the chapter. I'm happy we got another update!

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
It's such a shame we're not in November, what with all this writing I've been doing recently. Still, I'm not going to let that stop me!

---

“How many monsters are we talking about, Alice?” Mylene asked. She peered out the window, as if she would be able to make out the approaching attack from her quarters in the Sword Guild.
“Somewhere in the triple digits. The Library's Elder has established this would be the largest assault Azure has faced so far.”
“Yet they're all the same type of monster?”
“Yes. I've been told they were all pig-related though there are a few variations in regards to their size and strength.”
“I see. This doesn't bode well for us.”
“If I may, I have a plan that will provide us with enough support to deal with the onslaught while suffering minimal casualties.”
“...I'm listening.”
“My area of expertise in magic is necromancy. Given enough time I will be able to summon a large sum of the undead to serve our purpose.”
“'Serve'?”
“In a manner of speaking.”
“My son speaks highly of you, Reyes. Yet I am cautious about employing necromancy into our ranks. The warriors risen would be twisted and mad. What would stop them from turning on our soldiers?”
“Unlike some form of necromancy, I will not be deploying a total rival of the undead. The mind and souls of the deceased will continue to rest: I will merely be using their bodies. Once we are victorious they will return from whence they came.” Mylene pondered this though it didn't take long for her to make her decision.
“Ultimately, you are in the Magical Library so I cannot order you into not doing this.”
“Yet on your word, I would abort this plan and search for another.”
“That won't be necessary. How long will it take you to summon your hoard?”
“At least two hours. The assault is estimated to begin in an hour and a half. I will require you to buy me enough time once the fighting starts as well as an underground chamber.”
“It is done. We will fight as best we can while we wait for your strategy to kick in.”
“I also request you do not mention my plan to anyone who does not need to know of it.”
“Why is that?”
“I cannot guarantee my success in summoning such a large number of the dead. Should I fail, I do not wish to have the troops waiting on a miracle that will not occur.”
“I understand. We will fight as if it is our only choice.”

Alice ran down a circular staircase that led below the ground floor of the Guild. Every second was vital now and she could not afford to waste time. Once the bottom floor was visible through the dimly lit atmosphere, she jumped over the railing and dived toward the ground. As it rushed to meet her, she easily adjusted herself and began to glide alongside it. A pair of double doors approached her but they swung open before she reached them and shut loudly behind her. Candles flickered to life against the sizable walls revealing the large room she had entered and quickly flew to the center of it. She wasted no time in drawing a circle around the floor with her finger, surrounding herself. Though she carried no tools, a dark pink line followed along her digit, drawing out her tracings. Alice touched down in the center of her magic circle and was instantly consumed into it as the drawing was flooded with darkness. The circle swallowed her much like water would to one who fell into it, and once it did Alice had vanished. Darkness was all she could see as slowly descended, though a bit of fuzzy dark lights dimly illuminated the area. She could make out some sort of purple liquid pillars dripping like honey to her right as well as the same fluid below her.
“A human!” A voice boomed throughout the strange room, “ How rare! And for it to just fall into my lap as well! It'd make such a nice morsel; it isn't often they offer their souls so willingly.”
“I am not surprised. However, I am not here to subject myself to your appetite.”
“Oh? The only way into this realm from your world is through the use of powerful magic. To be blunt, you should know full well that entering this place forfeits your life.”
“The land of the dead is no place for the living, yes.”
“So you have come to die.”
“I am afraid I am not bound to your rules, mighty one.”
“And why is that? What's stopping me from devouring you right now?”
“Try and see.” No sooner did Alice finish her sentence when she was engulfed in red flames. She made no motion of pain or shock, and the fire died out in a manner of seconds.
“I see. You are no ordinary human mage, you are a Spirit Charmer.”
“You must be thrilled.”
“Indeed. With your death comes the destruction of your home nation. Tell me, Spirit Charmer, which continent is doomed upon your demise?”
“When I eventually fall, the land of Fayfield will follow.”
“Excellent. Now, why have you come to my domain?”
“I am a necromancer who requires the aide of many soulless bodies.”
“To what end?”
“In order to prevent the deaths of those fighting against a sea of enemies.”
“You ask the god of death to aide the living survive? Madness! Are all humans as naïve as you?”
“In saving the humans, many more creatures will die in their place. Surely those souls are satisfying? Do not forget this is a request from a Spirit Charmer, one who--”
“FORGET? HA. IT IS YOU WHO SHOULD NOT FORGET. You, who have barged into my home only to demand that I, a god shall aide you.”
“It is a humble request.”
“How quickly you back peddle!”
“If that is what you believe, then this is my path,” Alice said as she pulled a knife from her bag.
“You think a simple tool such as that can kill me? Very amusing. Just because your soul will not belong to me does not mean I will not enjoy your death.”
“You misunderstand,” she placed the knife against her own neck, “the death is not yours.”
“What are you scheming, Spirit Charmer?”
“Upon my death my home will be destroyed. However, so too do I have the option to destroy the location I am in. This place will be nothing.”
“You bluff!”
“Do I? Without an underworld, no one will be able to die. This place will fall before Fayfield does, thus causing my pact with the spirit to become null as no one can die. In fact, a world without death would be largely beneficial. The most logical thing for me to do would be to kill myself here and now and save every life that's to exist.” A drip of red fell from Alice's neck.
“Hold. You have swayed me, Spirit Charmer. An army is yours.”
“You have my gratitude,” she removed the knife from her throat, “at the risk of coming off as rude, I have one more request.”
“I enjoyed your gambit, thus will hear your plea. Know that the same tactic will not work twice. Already I have a portal ready to eject you back to your home. I can kill you and send you back before you know what happened.”
“I understand. I merely wish to communicate with a soul. Emily Pale from Blueshire. She leaves behind a sister.”
“There is no one here by that description, Spirit Charmer.” Alice flinched. That couldn't be right.
“I... implore you to check once more.”
“I just did. No one has crossed through my gates with that name.”
“Emily is dead. Surely she--”
“One might die, but that doesn't necessitate they have crossed into my realm. As a necromancer you should know this.”
“I simply had not expected this outcome. Once again, you have my gratitude.”

---

“Good timing, Mylene,” I said while holding my side. There was a throbbing ache there but aside from the few cuts and very minor gashes I was unharmed.
“You overextended yourself again, Bryer,” she replied. I didn't answer: she was right. I pulled through but some of it was luck. More than once I had been surrounded because I pulled away from everyone else and had to fight my way back to the rest of the troop. That's a poor example to set for everyone.
“I still have a lot of work to do, mother.” A sudden dark bolt of lightning struck from the blue skies near us and though I was shocked at first, I was relieved to see Alice standing in its place.
“Rest,” she motioned downwards with both her hands. In an instant, all the the skeletons that stood as statues crumbled to dust before vanishing into the ground. She limped toward us and I noted a scratch on her neck.
“Alice! Are you--” she stumbled mid-step and collapsed on the ground before I could finish my sentence. My mother and I raced toward her before turning Alice face up. Blood had lined her lips as it oozed out of her mouth. “Alice!”
“That was more straining than I had expected,” she mumbled calmly.
“Hey! We're gonna get you to the Guild, don't worry!”
“No. Take me to the Library. Tell them to prepare a cleric,” she turned her head away from us and coughed more blood, “and that it's for a de-flaming.”
“Captain Alma!” A soldier ran toward us.
“Not now, damn it! I need to--”
“Sir, it's about an elf named Samantha. She's been injured and is being held in the medical bay.” I froze.
“I...I,”
“Bryer!” My mother picked up Alice's limp body. “Go to the Guild. I'll take Alice to the Library. I already have a port point ready.” Before I could agree, she ran off in a red blur. I took a deep breath before following behind. My eyes turned an unnatural shade of yellow as I used my mother's technique to run at high-speed toward the Guild. It took less than a minute for me to reach the medical bay and I smashed through the door once I arrived.
“Sam!” I yelled through the crowd of wounded people. I saw a group of dark skinned elves standing beside a bed and rushed toward them. “What happened?” I asked in Elvish.Samantha was unconscious and lying on the bed face up. Though her face was seemingly fine, there was blood on her forehead as well as various bandages on her arms.
We were caught off guard and attacked from behind. She took the worst of it and it was all we could do to get out of there. It was one of the bigger monsters.” I gently ran my hand against Sam's neck.
How is she?”
They told us she will survive. Thankfully at least one other here speaks our tongue. I must admit this is not how I expected our first time out of the forest to be a rush into a medical facility.”
Does Eliz know?”
“Not yet.”
“This was my fault. I should not have let her get involved by herself.”

But she didn't. we were all with her, we failed to protect her. The blame is ours.” I sighed in response, too tired to argue over who should feel bad. “Your fellow humans have been surprisingly kind. They have taken in other wounded elves and have healed us with magic. Perhaps aiding you with the defense was a good idea after all. We can now see the good your kind has.”

I had pulled up one of the stools and sat myself next to Sam's bed. Hours had passed and though the nurses patched me up I still refused to lie down on a bed of my own. Instead I held on to her hand. Both our arms were covered in bandages and I shuttered at the thought of her point of impact.
“Hey, buddy. How's she doin'?” Chive walked from behind me with a chair of his own before sitting down.
“Good. Aside from a concussion the healers said there would be no lasting damage. Have you heard from Alice?”
“Not really. I went to the Magical Library but they wouldn't let me in. You know how stingy those old farts are. I think your mum zoomin' in there was the first time anyone has gone in uninvited.”
“Where's mom now?”
“Still inside. She stepped out to fill me in though. Said the witch had suffered internal damage from being exposed to some kinda dark energy. Apparently it's toxic to us living beings and started shreddin' her up. Sounds awful, don't it?”
“Did they mention how she was exposed?”
“Nah, but Momma Alma said Alice should be okay.” Samantha let out a soft groan as she started to stir.
“Alice'ish hurt too?” She mumbled.
“Stay still, Sam,” I told her, “you have a concussion.”
“I have no idea what that means,” she tried to get into a sitting position before letting out another soft pain-filled groan. “Ooohh, I think I just figured it out.”
“Get some rest.”
“Where's my baby?”
“Somehow I doubt you mean me.”
Arc”
“Oh. Right here,” I grabbed the bow from under her bed and placed it next to her. Samantha carefully gripped it before squeezing it into a one-armed hug.
“Everything is okay in the world,” she muttered as Chive stood from his chair.
“Happy ending here, yeah?” He told me, “I'm gonna see if I can't get an update from the witch.” I nodded before he walked off.
“Samantha?”
“Hmm?” She didn't even open her eyes, and was still lying face up on the bed.
“I'm sorry, Sam. I shouldn't have let you go alone. I should have gone with you. Maybe then this wouldn't--”
“Bryer?”
“Yeah?”
“Shut up.”
“What?”
“I knew what I was getting into. You don't have to baby me. I was dumb and let myself get hurt.” I sighed, but she gave my hand a quick squeeze. “Don't you dare start blaming yourself for every little thing that happens to me, alright?” I gave her a smile before realizing she couldn't see it. Instead I brought her hand up to my lips, lightly kissing it.
“Okay but you can't stop me from worrying. When you feel up to it, will you let me teach you how to fight with a sword? I'd feel a lot better knowing you can handle yourself up close.”
“I would act all excited but I think that would hurt too much. But yes, that sounds really awesome.” I chuckled lightly to myself before keeping silent so she could easily fall asleep.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Damn, I had no idea Alice was a Spirit Charmer. And what on earth could it mean if Emily isn't among the dead with said god? Where else would she go and why? You're torturing me here with these fabulous updates, CD. And man, what an outcome with this fight. Honestly, I'm surprised Fayfield is tied to Alice's life. I really want to know why that is. :O <3 I like how Chive remains unscathed and Mama Alma broke whatever rules to go into the Magical Library. xD CLASSIC is life. <3

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
It's probably a good thing I'm not taking part of National Writing Month this year. I've been way too busy to even get the chance to sit down and write, and even when I do I'm usually too tired or unmotivated to actually write anything. I honestly wanted this part to go even farther but I've been sitting on it for a few days now so screw it, I'm just posting it now. I'm still kicking though!
---

Once the medics said it was okay for Sam to walk around, I took her back to Eveholm to rest properly. She protested, saying she wanted to check up on Alice with me, but the staff advised against her walking around too much. The short walk back to the forest alone had her fall for a few dizzy spells, proving their point. She regrettably agreed to let me carry her the rest of the way on my back and admitted herself it wouldn't be wise to have her in a totally new environment neither of us recognized. I was thankful when Eliz waved away my apologizes and said Samantha was prone to get hurt eventually and she was glad it wasn't too serious. I still couldn't help but feel guilty at Sam's injuries but did my best to put it behind me and instead my my way into the port point room in the Guild. Somehow I still expected Alice to be the one waiting inside and felt disappointed when another mage stood in the center of the room. He wore a plain blue robe with a matching floppy hat and fashioned himself with a pair of glasses.
“Hi,” I started.
“Hello. Who might you be?”
“Bryer Alma, captain of the seventh division.”
“Oh of course. My name is Vin, I specialize in visions and transportations,” the man pushed his glasses up with his index finger as a small smile spread itself across his lips, “I saw you in the battle earlier. It was well fought.”
“Thank you, but I still have plenty to learn.”
“Yes, I saw General Alma speaking quite sternly to you after the fight.” Great. I was hoping it wasn't obvious she was scolding me but it apparently was. “Worry not, captain. I have very keen eyes. I am fairly certain I was one of the very few that noticed.”
“Thanks.”
“Furthermore, I believe your fraction suffered the less amount of casualties and injuries, no doubt thanks to your brilliant tactic with the elves.”
“I wouldn't call it 'brilliant,' Vin. More like a desperate play.”
“A Hail Mary, if you will?”
“Exactly. I wasn't sure if the elves would agree to help and even though they did, some of them were injured include a close friend of mine.”

“One must weigh the pros and cons of every decision, captain. Through her injury many lives were saved.”
“Boy, you sound a lot like Alice right now.”
“Really?!” Though he tried to keep a straight face, I could tell he took my comment personally and as a compliment. A large smile betrayed him and I could make out a faint blush from his pale cheeks. Now that I looked at him closer, I noticed how pale he really was. Did none of the mages ever step outside? “Truth be told I admire her very much, captain!”
“Bryer is fine, by the way.”
“Yes, captain! Err, Bryer. If I might be so bold, I was hoping I could get your advice on something.”
“Sure, what's up?”
“You and Ms Reyes are very close, correct?”
“I guess...?”
“I was wondering...do you think it would be at all possible,” Vin gulped as if just considering his thought made him weak, “i-i-if she would to go on a date? With me, I mean!”
“You want to go out with her?”
“Court her, sir!”
“That's the same thing!”
“'Courting' sounds much more posh.” I scratched the back of my neck in consideration.
“I...have no idea. I mean, maybe? She has never mentioned anything about dating anyone. I'm not even sure she has those emotions! Hahaha...” My joke fell flat as his face dropped. “B-but hey! I'll put in a good word for you, Vinny! Who knows, maybe she's interested and doesn't know how to express it?”
“You would do that?!”
“Sure! It's no problem, bro.”
“Th-thank you very much! ...'bro!' I greatly appreciate it!”
“...Yeeeaaah-okay. Say, do you mind opening a port point for me?”
“Of course! Do you plan to visit Ms Reyes? I must warn you they won't let you inside without permission from the king and the Library's Elder. You friend Mr Cloc has been attempting to enter for the passed two hours.”
“Don't worry about it, Vinny. I got a plan.” Vin gave me a worried look but said nothing as he walked towards one of the many hollowed archways.
“Here we are,” he brought his right arm towards the doorway and it instantly sparked to life, showing me a large building.
“That was quick!”
“This is my specialty, after all. I've also been opening this pathway many times today. Here is the return powder,” I held out my hand as he dropped a small sack against my palm, which I quickly pocketed.
“Thanks, Vin. I'll see what Alice has to say.” He gave me another timid grin before I walked through the magical doorway.

The large building that stood in front of me had me dumbstruck. It was massive, at least twice the size of the Sword Guild's main building and the towering flight of stairs that led up to it made me tired just looking at it. Did all the mages really walk all the way up there? Some looked so scrawny they could barely carry their books let alone lug them up this mountain. The building itself was largely square, though the four corners had circular towers that were taller than the center of the Library. I could see fires burning at the top of each of the towers: one red, blue, yellow, and green. I heard Chive call out to me as he walked down the last steps.
“Bry-Bry! Didn't expect you to be out and about. Your noggin okay? You still got the bandages wrapped around it.”
“I'm fine, yeah. I wanted to try and see Alice.”
“Pfft. Good luck. You know they only let other mages in there unless you've gotten approval from both the king and the Library's elder.”
“Well I've got a plan. Let's just hope it works.” He nodded at me and we made the climb up the stairs. Though it seemed daunting at first, the climb was surprisingly short and I couldn't help but wonder if the path only looked long as a trick of magic. When we reached the top, I glanced back down and noted how high up we were.
“It's like we were sped up, huh? I've been rackin' my brain for hours tryin' to figure it out.”
“Magic's unexplainable, Chive.”
“Shame.” We made our way to the entrance and found a single robed woman standing in front of large double doors. Her robes were a dull yellow but the flat habit on her head was black, reminding me of a nun. She looked bored but tried to hide it as we approached.
“Hi there, I'm Bryer Alma of the Sword Guild. Captain of the Seventh Division and--”
“Son to Mylene Alma?” The mage asked while placing an open palm under her chin in thought, her index finger tapping at her cheek.
“Yes. I was--”
“Please don't try to barge your way inside like your mother did.”
“I—I wasn't going to! I mean—I apologize for my mother's behavior. It was an emergency.”
“Indeed it was, but it isn't anymore.”
“Right.”
“Right.”
“Is this goin' anywhere?” Chive asked impatiently.
“She isn't going to let us in.”
“No I am not. Unless you have proof both the king and elder have granted you access.”
“I don't have that, but I do have something else.”
“Oh?”
“Alice Reyes, the mage who injured earlier? She's my master.”
“She's yerwhatnow?” I shoved Chive to keep his mouth shut, though it was far from subtle.
“Your master? Ms Reyes?”
“Yes. I am her student and today was to be my first day of instructions in the arcane arts.”
“Indeed? Even if this were true, Ms Reyes is far too hurt to--”
“I was given explicit instructions to meet her today. No exceptions.”
“And what, might I ask, would your specialty be?”
“My—oh, uh well necromancy of course! That's why I'm learning from her.”
“Necromancy!” The mage gave me a sly smile, almost as if I had fallen for some sort of trap. Chive saw it too and I felt him stiffen next to me. He hated magic and smelled something fishy. “If you're to enter such a high level field then surely you already know the basics of elemental magic?” Oops.
“Ye-yeah. Yeah of course.”
“In that case, prove it. Conjure a ball of fire.” I glanced toward Chive. He made a living off lying to people and it was obvious that I did not. Still, I had come this far and I had a trick up my sleeve.
“Sure, alright,” I pulled out my bag and reached inside. “Still hammering out a few things,” I explained as I pulled out Sam's bow and an arrow, “I still have a hard time controlling fire by itself but if I have an area to focus it on, like an arrowhead, then it's no problem.” I notched the arrow against the bow and imagined it bursting into flames. Sure enough, fire erupted from the enchanted weapon. “See?” The mage let out a short laugh and I knew I didn't fool her.
“That's very cute.”
“Oh why thank you,” Chive blushed, “I'm actually free if you're serious...”
“I meant the bow. Where did you get it?”
“...Alice Reyes,” I felt defeated and a bit humiliated. My stomach sunk a little at how poorly my plan went through at the end.
“If any other person were on guard duty right now you'd be denied entry but lucky for you I was the one here when Reyes and your mother entered. Normally the wards would have kept her out but Reyes had enough presence of mind to allow her entry. I'll grant you access, Bryer but only to visit your friend.”
“Really?!”
“Hey me too, right?” Chive piped up, obviously interested in what the Library looked like.
“No, just Bryer. He technically is Ms Reyes' student and has some magic potential in him. I can't sense a drop of magic in you.”
“Well, Chive's really my pack mule. He carries my stuff.”
“Sorry but I'm taking a big enough risk letting you in. I can't afford letting two outsiders inside.”
“I tried, bud,” I shrugged as the mage tapped on one of the large doors. I didn't realize it at first but the top of the entrance bordered the edge of the roof. Ever so slowly the gigantic door opened just enough to let a person through. Chive let out an annoyed sigh as I walked inside though I couldn't really see anything; the entrance was too dark for me to make anything out. “Hey is there--” the door closed behind me as I faced back to it, sealing me inside the Magical Library.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Bryer, you sure do have a way with words. I kind of cracked up during this, because it's so hard for me to picture Bryer with a straight face and pulling off magic tricks to get in, or pass as Alice's apprentice/student. I also noticed something interesting. Does Chive's last name happen to be Cloc? Anyhow, I got kind of defensive at the thought of another mage asking Alice out. Gosh dang it. I ship Bryer with Alice still. (xD) Even though, I've grown to like Sam a lot. Anyways, I really can't wait to see what's next and I'm happy you posted it, CD. :D

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Short entry! Wanted to write something up on CLASSIC today and spoil Appreciate/Underappreciated tomorrow! Whooo
---
"How were you able to enter?” Alice asked.

Despite being called the Magical Library, the building was far more than a keeping area for books. It reminded me very much of the Sword Guild though as I wandered the halls I couldn't help but feel out of place as the mages garbed in various colored cloaks eyed me and whispered among themselves. I often found myself dumbfounded at various props that were scattered around the Library. Once the door had closed behind me, blue flames flickered to life and illuminated my path. Books lined the walls and I found it hard to believe they were all actually filled with wisdom. Surely these were just decoration? Like hollowed out pieces of plastic that were molded into the shapes of books? I pulled a green tome off the shelf to my right and opened it. The page I landed on detailed the exact temperature needed to extract chemicals from a certain species of toad named the Blue Tear Toad. I grimaced at the thought of boiling a whole toad before putting the book back into its slot. I walked down the hall but stopped as something else caught my attention. The room I had just entered was almost like the hub of the Library. Just like a real library, there was a desk in the center of the wide circular room though two large curved staircases were just behind it. The majority of the railings were painted white but the top sections were golden, giving me a majestic impression. There were towering bookcases on both floors and the staircases seemed to go on forever as they twirled from floor to floor. A sense of wonder flooded over me as I daydreamed of exploring the building while discovering what secrets were hidden and I briefly realized this what it must be like for Samantha.
“Bryer!” My mother's call brought me back to reality and I turned to face her. She was climbing down the right staircase and earned herself a few stairs as she did so. I heard at least one person shush her though a quick glare put an end to it.
“This is technically a library, I guess,” I told her once we united. My mother gave me a careless shrug before leading me up the stairs.
“I was hoping you'd be able to get in somehow, Bryer. I think seeing a friend would cheer Alice up a lot.”
“I'm sure she has plenty of friends here in the library, mom.”
“Then why hasn't she had a visitor yet?” I didn't answer as we went up a single flight of stairs, getting off the second floor. “There's a reason she acts as a Guidance in the Guild, Bryer.”
“Is she on this floor?”
“No, but there's a teleporter of sorts here that'll take us to her room.” We rounded a few corners passed more bookshelves before finally reaching a hallway with actual walls. My mother opened the fourth door to our right and entered. Inside was a small table with two chairs and a large fireplace burning a white flame. Taking my hand, mom led me towards the flame but I stopped before we reached it. “What's wrong, hun?”
“That's fire.”
“Yeah. So?”
“Fire's...hot.”
“I see I've raised you well,” she joked, “Relax, this is the teleporter. It's not an actual fire.” Without another word she pushed me into the flame despite my protest.

I fumbled for a bit as I crossed into the white fire but quickly caught myself. Gone was the small room, replaced with a larger cleaner room. I saw a bed with green covers on it with a chart hanging on the end, a screen for privacy when someone needed to change, and Alice. She was wearing a very dark cloak while standing next to the sole large window. What caught my attention was the cane in her right hand and the way she placed a large amount of her weight on it as she turned to face us.
“Pity isn't a look you've ever given me, Bryer,” the mage told me.
“I—I'm sorry.”
“Don't apologize. You wear your emotions on your sleeve. It's something I admire about you.”
“How are you doing?”
“Better. I can walk on my own and--” She made her way towards me but the cane slipped on a small red puddle causing her to fall forward. I just barely managed to catch her before she hit the floor and pulled her up.
“Are you okay?” She let out a short frustrated growl before throwing the cane to the ground.
“I apologize. Can I ask you to help me get to the bed?” I nodded and she placed her weight on my shoulders and we slowly made our way back to her bed before I carefully sat her down on. “I am not accustomed to being so...powerless.”
“I'm not used to being able to actually help you for a change.”
“How were you able to enter?” Alice asked.
“I kinda told the lady out front I was your student.”
“Surely she didn't take your word for it?”
“Nah, she wanted proof I had learned the basics of magic and had me summon a ball of fire.”
“Which you are unable to do.”
“Yeah. So I used Sam's bow to make some fire. She didn't buy it but I think--” I stopped talking as I saw a small smile spread itself against Alice's face. It quickly grew and she exploded into laughter, something I had never seen her do. She covered the right side of her face with her hand as she laughed.
“Did you really...? Bryer you're such a...!” I never got to hear the end of any of her sentences as she kept laughing until she held her stomach and fell sideways. It took around a minute for her to recover from the attack.”Oh gods above. Bryer, you're such a fool.”
“What?”
“The bow is enchanted. Every magician can sense it so of course a simple trick like that wouldn't work. I'm surprised you weren't laughed out.”
“Well I almost was. The woman let me in anyway because she was there when you and mom burst inside.”
“I see. That was very fortunate for you.”
“And for you.”
“Hmm? Why is that?”
“Mom told me you haven't had any visitors. Even Sam had elves with her and even Dyson popped in.”
“How is she? Mylene told me she was hurt.”
“Better than you, I think. She just needs some rest. Back to my point though, have you had any visitors?”
“I've had one visitor so far."
“Who was that?”
“You.”

Last edited:

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Alice laughing was unexpected. I couldn't help but snicker at Bryer being pushed into the flames by his mom. How could you betray me like that?! xD So funny! I really enjoyed this chapter because, Bryer catching Alice tugged at my heart strings a little. If it weren't for Sam, I really think he'd make a good match with Alice. I could never of imagined the day where he catches her from falling. It was a fantastic read! :D

Cassette-Disk

Don't Panic
Awards
Website
steamcommunity.com
Short update! Now with more awkward chest exposures! I want to write more often but I'm so out of practice thanks to the holiday rush that I'm having trouble getting back into the swing of things. Still, a little is better than nothing!
---
I ran a quick hand over my forehead as Alice answered before letting out a quick sigh.
“So I'm your first visitor?”
“Aside from your mother, yes.”
“Why? From what I hear, a lot of the mages look up to you. Hell, one of them wanted me to ask you if he could date you!”
“Vin? The Visionist?” I took a step back as she easily deduced her admirer.
“How'd you figure that out?!”
“Despite his specialty being in observations, he's surprisingly easy to read. However, I'm not interested in romantic endeavors,” Alice looked out the window once more as she said this and though I followed her gaze, I didn't see anything of interest.
“I'll take that as a 'no,' then. So why hasn't anyone visited? You're one of the most powerful mages I know.”
“Yes I am. Have you even considered why that is?”
“What do you mean? You summoned a bunch of skeletons to help us out, you're just powerful. That's all there is to it.”
“If only life were as simplistic as you made it out. Not only did I summon the undead to aid you, but I did the same for every entrance to Azure. Do you know how many bodies were needed?” I shook my head, unsure of myself. “208 corpses. Transported from the ether and risen to the exact location I needed them to be. 52 per entrance. No human is capable of such a feat.”
“But you did it?”
“I had help,” she turned so I faced her right side and lifted the top part of her robe that acted as a shirt, revealing to me her bare skin. Except instead of the flesh color I had expected, her body was an unnatural black, like a burn or bruise. The darkness stretched out between her back and navel and I couldn't help but shudder.
“Holy crap,” I whispered.
“Unholy crap would be more accurate,” the mage smiled as she hid away the damage with a soft pain-filled grunt, “From the land of the living I ventured to the land of the dead and persuaded a god for aide. I should be dead at this point but one thing saved me.”
“What are you talking about?”
“I'm one of the last Spirit Charmers in the world.”
“I have no idea what that means.”
“As a newborn, I exhibited an extremely strong amount of magical power. When that happens, spirits are drawn to the infant and the two souls communicate. They are able to form a pact together, which is exactly what I did. A Spirit Charmer is one who houses a spirit in their bodies. The spirit grants even more power to the person for the entirety of their life, however the price is steep. Once I die, my soul is forfeit and the spirit devours it, gaining the strength I have accumulated.” Alice rubbed her side gingerly and kept her eyes low before continuing, “mine is a special case as well. Aside from my soul, the spirit will also destroy my home country.”
“What?! Blueshire--”
“No. I'm not from Blueshire. Remember where we first met? I was born and raised in Fayfield.”
“And you're okay with it being destroyed when you die?”
“I was. I agreed to the pact and am bound to it. However, now I am trying to find a way to break free. There's only so much the Spirit can do while trapped inside my body and I feel as though I can vanquish it or even devour it myself.”
“Devour it? Like, your soul will consume it?”
“Yes. With that done, I will also inherit the power it has taken from other Spirit Charmers as well...or at least, in theory I should. Such a feat has never been documented.”
“Do you think you can actually pull it off, Alice? If it's never been done before...”
“I can and I will. Of this, I am sure. There is one more thing you should know; every Spirit Charmer has a mark on their body. This mark represents the area the spirit entered the body though every mark on a Spirit Charmer is different.”

Slowly, Alice tugged at a the string at the top of her robe, undoing the bindings that held the top portion in place. She placed her left hand against her chest as the cloth fell, held above her bosom only by arm. I couldn't help but feel my face flare up, though I quickly caught on to her intentions. Just above her left breast was what appeared to be a birthmark, though I couldn't help but make it out as almost crescent shaped, like a moon. I could also make out the same damage she had showed me earlier on the opposite side, proving that whatever had caused the burn was nothing short of dangerous.
“That's your mark?”
“Yes. This is proof I am a Spirit Charmer. Though I doubt you can tell, the texture of the mark is different than the rest of one's skin. It's more rough and people have described it as 'unnatural.'”
“I'll...take your word for it.”
“I understand, however--” I heard a sudden whooshing sound behind me, and immediately after heard my mother gasp. I turned to face her and was rewarded with a slap to the face.
“Bryer! How could you?! You're spoken for! I thought I raised you better than this, young man!”
“What?!” I rubbed my sore cheek as I turned back to Alice, her cleavage still in plain view as her arm was still the only thing preventing her robe from falling from her body. “Oh. Oh, no. Wait, this isn't what it looks like, mom!”
“Mylene, do you know what this is?” Alice pointed to her spirit mark with her free hand.
“And you! I thought you were above--” once she saw the mark, my mother quieted herself. Without a word, she walked up to Alice and rubbed her index finger against the mark and the bare skin, quickly feeling the texture of the two. “You're a Spirit Charmer,” she finally said while backing up slightly.
“I am.”
“And that's why everyone in the Library is wary of you.”
“Indeed.”
“Bryer, you should learn how the texture of a spirit mark feels. This could be important in the future.”
“I'll...pass,” I continued to rub my red cheek as I answered, the stinging pain still pounding through my face.
“This is serious, Bryer.”
“I agree with your mother, you should remember it while you have the chance.”
“Guys, seriously. I'm not gonna--”
“Oh for goodness sake.” Without another word my mother grabbed my right hand and quickly dragged me towards Alice. Before I could protest, she placed my hand on the mage's spirit mark. I froze as my face blared red once more, although the place my palm rested on felt...strange.
“No fooling around, Bryer,” Alice teased.
“Shut up,” I answered stoically as I brought my finger against the smooth skin next to her mark. The awkwardness of the situation melted away as my finger made its way to the spirit mark. Though visually it looked as if it should feel the same as the rest of her skin, it instead was very rough and full of friction, almost like the skin of a reptile. It was also cooler than the rest of her skin and I thought I felt a few bumps here and there as I rubbed my finger against it. “'Unnatural' is a good way to describe it, yeah.” I backed away slightly and Alice began pulling her robe back up, easily retying the strings together.
“I'm sorry I doubted you, honey,” my mother said before giving me a quick hug, “it's just, she was sitting in her bed with her robe down and you were just standing there so--”
“Mom! Enough, please! This...never happened, alright?”
“You're still very childish, Bryer,” Alice told me.
“Yeah, whatever. Why would the other mages care if you're a Spirit Charmer? Is it taboo or something?”
“Not exactly, “my mom explained, “but Spirit Charmers are very rare, to the point where most people think there aren't anymore left. Because spirits only seek out mages that are powerful to begin with, the additional power they're given by the spirits causes other mages to be scared of Spirit Charmers. Not only that, but even if a Spirit Charmer never reveals their true self to other mages, those mages can still sense something strange from within the Charmer. An alien feeling that unnerves them. That's why no other mage has come to visit her yet and why she chose to be a Guidance of the Sword Guild.”
“That's...kinda harsh, mom.”
“Am I wrong, Alice?”
“Not entirely, no. However one of the deciding factors for my playing a larger role in the Sword Guild was simply to watch over your son. He was the one who managed to pry me away from Timberpatch of Fayfield. I am very grateful to him.”

Max

"There's always money in the banana stand."
Staff member
Awards
This isn't Simple Stuff... I guess I'll read CLASSIC, it's only my favorite.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Yes, you so totally should, Max!

To think! Just yesterday I was reading from the beginning of this story and it updates! I like how Alice calls back to Timberpatch in this chapter! Speaking of which, I actually had questions for you! Except I forgot one of them. Whoops. (Was Timberpatch a random name you chosen?) Anyways, I really like this chapter because, I found it quite hilarious how much Bryer gets red in the face from a exposed Alice. (Bryer has seen Emily naked, right? I mean, before she was deceased?) At the same time, I feel bad for Alice having to endure so much as a Spirit Charmer. I wonder if she'll really be able to do it and devour the spirit before it tries to devour her. Great chapter as always, CD!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back