• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Cosplay and costume thread!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Interfacing is like the stuff you iron into the inside of fabric to make it stiffer/stronger and add more body to it
its used on things like the inside of purses and aprons .

Im a bit concerned with it not being breathable, the vest is going to be over another shirt so I don't want to get too hot wearing it in the summer and stuff
and im also worried that it might look too stiff,
If I just picked out some thick fabric, I feel like it would be stiff enough, but I was wondering if anyone had experience making vests with interfacing, if adding it would be a good call or not.
From the picture you posted, it not only looks thick, but even fluffy on the inside. It definitely has some bulk. I suggest it, and probably just wear a thinner shirt underneath.

impart

Climb The Sky
ive seen some people use batting on the inside and I think it looks really terrible, im not so much going for accuracy as im going for what I think would look good irl

I feel like walking around in a stiff fluffy vest would probably photograph badly
but im not sure how exactly it would feel like with the interfacing

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
ive seen some people use batting on the inside and I think it looks really terrible, im not so much going for accuracy as im going for what I think would look good irl

I feel like walking around in a stiff fluffy vest would probably photograph badly
but im not sure how exactly it would feel like with the interfacing
Maybe trim down the fluff itself, just make it poofy-ish.

impart

Climb The Sky

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I dont nessarally like how the batting looks in the vests, not that It donst look good, but that it would not look good on me

like the girl in this picture, the batting actually looks pretty nice, its the best ive ever seen it done

http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs30/f/2008/085/e/d/MomoCon_2008___ANBU_Cosplay_by_Choco_chan.jpg

but I wanted to go for something more like this
http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2011/177/3/6/madara___glassphyxie___by_hirako_f_w-d3k39ps.jpg
I see. Maybe go for a middle ground and thicken it up just a bit more?

impart

Climb The Sky
Yeah, maybe ill just make 2 and see which one I like best, thank you very much for your advise, I always like to have allot of input when I start a costume.

On a side note, I came across some papercraft kunai knives the other day,
I think under the right circumstances papercraft can actually be pretty great to use for some props, I think Ive come across a pretty useful resource, I wanted to share it on this thread.

Kingdom Hearts cosplay for example-

Kingdom Hearts Papercraft: Yuffie's Shuriken

KH2 Papercraft: Disney Castle Treasure Chest

Kingdom Hearts Papercraft: Dream Rod

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Yeah, maybe ill just make 2 and see which one I like best, thank you very much for your advise, I always like to have allot of input when I start a costume.

On a side note, I came across some papercraft kunai knives the other day,
I think under the right circumstances papercraft can actually be pretty great to use for some props, I think Ive come across a pretty useful resource, I wanted to share it on this thread.

Kingdom Hearts cosplay for example-

Kingdom Hearts Papercraft: Yuffie's Shuriken

KH2 Papercraft: Disney Castle Treasure Chest

Kingdom Hearts Papercraft: Dream Rod
Oh wow those look really great! *o*

I'd be nervous using papercraft though for props at like, cons and stuff though.
Too many accidents happen and whatnot as is.

"you son of a bitch you crumpled my sword!"

impart

Climb The Sky
Okay, so here is the practice Kunai knife I made today im very happy with it, I think with some work the finished product will turn out beautifully.

naru098765_zps0c4a957c.jpg

I really like the way papercraft looks, the clean lines, and angles make it almost look like a cartoon, and perfect for cosplay.

I agree with you about durability, most papercrafts usually call for the template to be printed out on card stock. I think with some paint, and some Gesso/Modge Podge they would become more sturdy,
if anything they can be used as a base to cover with clay and build a prop form, and you wouldn't have to worry about weapons policy

You know, im surprised there are so few cosplayers on this forum, especially with Halloween in a week, you would think this thread would be more active.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Okay, so here is the practice Kunai knife I made today im very happy with it, I think with some work the finished product will turn out beautifully.

naru098765_zps0c4a957c.jpg

I really like the way papercraft looks, the clean lines, and angles make it almost look like a cartoon, and perfect for cosplay.

I agree with you about durability, most papercrafts usually call for the template to be printed out on card stock. I think with some paint, and some Gesso/Modge Podge they would become more sturdy,
if anything they can be used as a base to cover with clay and build a prop form, and you wouldn't have to worry about weapons policy

You know, im surprised there are so few cosplayers on this forum, especially with Halloween in a week, you would think this thread would be more active.
Oh wow that looks great! And yeah, building it up somehow will definitely help keep its shape. :D

And I'm HOPING that the lack of posting in this thread because they're WORKING SO HARD ON THEIR HALLOWEEN CONTEST COSTUMES.

(9 `~`)9 better be.

impart

Climb The Sky
Thats sad, I hope more cosplayers will come, if anything cosplay popularity is growing by the year, It was around Halloween 3 years ago that I first cosplayed, it had been something I had always wanted to do so I put my foot down and hand made a Kairi cosplay.

I made a paper shuriken today, but im too embarrassed to put up a picture, it was really hard and it ended up looking awful hahaha

Also for the record, I found a keyblade papercraft

Life Size Keyblade Papercraft by ~sgonzales22 on deviantART

I squeed for like hours, Im no good at making props so finding all this papercraft stuff that I can actually do, and it looks good in the end makes me really happy.

The first time I made a prop it was messy paint, flimsy craft foam, permanent hot glue mistakes , and fail all over, and I finished it at midnight the night before my first con. I was sleep deprived all week and then I got like 2 hours of sleep that night, I was acting hilarious.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I'm only sort of good with props. The horns and matryorb were a serious challenge for me. Weapons and armor I'm useless.

And sewing...

impart

Climb The Sky
^I thought your props looked great

for props im ok with the shape cutting, and the spray painting, but everything else is not so great

Here is a picture of the prop I was mentioning above, for S's & G's
just because this thread needs some love
clowstaff_zps18ae2831.jpg

Im not terrible at sewing, but I really don't like to do it, so its a dilemma

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
^I thought your props looked great

for props im ok with the shape cutting, and the spray painting, but everything else is not so great

Here is a picture of the prop I was mentioning above, for S's & G's
just because this thread needs some love
clowstaff_zps18ae2831.jpg

Im not terrible at sewing, but I really don't like to do it, so its a dilemma
Oooh that looks really neat! ;A;

I probably should just stop being so lazy with cosplays.
But, for now, I'm shopping. u_u And need opinions on boots for Marceline.

Amazon.com: Rampage Women's Wellington Boot: Shoes
Do the red ones look like they'd work? Apparently they're more of a burgundy but I think that'll be fine. Apparently cowboy boots are harder to be specific with than I thought. :I

impart

Climb The Sky
I think that red is fine, if anything the brighter color will complement the grey skin paint and black hair better then a dark red would
the colors look better together, and I think the pictures will be brighter and have more contrast.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
I was the Doctor for Halloween, nothing special. I wish I got a picture with my hair all done up though

197411_361957817231234_144697355_n.jpg

Back