• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Do you believe in an after life (ex. Hell, Heaven)?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aetheus

Relates a little to the "do you believe in ghosts?" thread I posted, but a seperate topic nonetheless. I noticed in that topic that a few posters say that they do not believe in ghosts - but that they do believe in some kind of after life in a place high in the clouds that all souls go to (or something like that, my memory's a bit sketchy and I'm lazy to check).

So; do any of you actually believe in an after life in some sort of heaven/Fidler's Green/nirvana/hell/whatever? Or would you prefer to think that you could wander around on Earth, shrieking in basements while you spy on your living friends and family?

I don't really think theres a "paradise" awaiting me after my body rots. If such things actually exists, I'd probably go to hell for the crime of not being religious. I think this life is about all we got, and we gotta make the best of it - Going to Heaven is something you can hope for, but enjoying your life as it is is something you can actually do.

Cissy

Bronze Member
Personally, and though I would much rather think otherwise, I don't believe in an after life.

Simply put, I think it would be much like sleep when you don't dream; you aren't aware of anything around you, time doesn't seem to be restricted by measurements (much like how 8 hours can pass by in a second when you fall asleep and then subsequently wake up), and you have no conscience during that period.

Nothingness, basically. I don't like thinking this way, since it isn't a very promising thing to think, but nonetheless it is what I think.

angelbabe74006

I do believe in Heaven and Hell. I'm hoping for the former, myself. When I look at the moon and the stars and planets in the distance, the trees and the flowers, people smiling, animals, and everything I around me I just can't help but think this can't be all there is.
My family is mostly Christian, but no one ever bothered to take me to church very often. When I was little I was told about God and Heaven and everything, but I was never really taught. No one really ever bothered to teach me these things, but I grew up believing them anyways. Like most of my life lessons, I taught myself. So, believing in an afterlife is completely me, and not something drilled into my head.

Aetheus

Personally, and though I would much rather think otherwise, I don't believe in an after life.

Simply put, I think it would be much like sleep when you don't dream; you aren't aware of anything around you, time doesn't seem to be restricted by measurements (much like how 8 hours can pass by in a second when you fall asleep and then subsequently wake up), and you have no conscience during that period.

Nothingness, basically. I don't like thinking this way, since it isn't a very promising thing to think, but nonetheless it is what I think.

Actually, that doesn't sound at all like a bad idea of an "after life". A complete nothingness after death isn't exactly a terrifying prospect. It certainly sounds better than burning in an eternal pit full of supernatural nasties in any case. The only thing that would bother me is not being able to, well, do anything. But since my mind would be long gone by then, I probably wouldn't be able to fret over such a thing either.

After all, its not like any of us haven't experienced such a thing. When we were in the womb, weren't we pretty much asleep and unconcious? And coma patients don't exactly complain about their condition either, do they? (well, they can't, but that's besides the point)

Last edited:

Cissy

Bronze Member
I think, really, the terrifying prospect of such a possibility is the notion of not existing after material life. I'd imagine that most, if not everyone, would prefer to exist and live for as long as possible, and even though the concept of hell has it's terrors and eternal punishments, it's design establishes an existence after one dies. Heaven, of course, would be the preferred resting place, and though the idea of "nothingness" may be neutral in terms of punishment and reward, the idea that one would no longer have residence in any sort of tangible world is almost equal to accepting oneself as insignificant, and, in a twisted way, simply mortal.

Reika Noko

Forever lurking
Yes. It's called "Eternal Sleep". Now I can finally "rest in peace" where I don't need to worry about my sleeping problems. :laugh:

Haha. No, but seriously, it's a possibility. But it's a "spiritual" thing, something that we cannot go into with logic and science to help us explore the matter. Some people dream, some people don't believe. But the only way to find out is to die, right? That's going to be a long time isn't it?

Marly

All right, don't have a crap attack
Awards
Meh I mite sound a little loony but, to me hell is on Earth, and the ones bound to Earth are ghosts. I mean, doesn't being bound onto Earth sound terrifying. I do believe in heaven, which is a bit ironic, seeing as my belief in God is limited.

Aetheus

I think, really, the terrifying prospect of such a possibility is the notion of not existing after material life. I'd imagine that most, if not everyone, would prefer to exist and live for as long as possible, and even though the concept of hell has it's terrors and eternal punishments, it's design establishes an existence after one dies. Heaven, of course, would be the preferred resting place, and though the idea of "nothingness" may be neutral in terms of punishment and reward, the idea that one would no longer have residence in any sort of tangible world is almost equal to accepting oneself as insignificant, and, in a twisted way, simply mortal.

Eh, I still don't really fear it that much. Of course, I would prefer to be able to think, and breath and do other things that would prolong my own existence. Who wouldn't? But fearing the nothingness of death almost seems like an attempt to deny it, which is ultimately futile since we all gotta kick the bucket sometime. I'm not saying that I'm not afraid of dying - I am. Most sensible people are. I'm just not that afraid of what comes after death - which, to me, is nothing.

I've already accepted that we are, to put it in your own terms, insignificant and mortal. The human race as a whole hasn't existed for that long. Like most things on Earth, we too will eventually die out and be forgotten about. Heck, the Earth itself will have to "die" sometime. So even if we could "live forever" instead of dying, it would seem more like a curse than anything else. Where would we go to once the Sun's dead, and the Earth is barren? Nowhere. What would we entertain ourselves with once all venues of entertainment have been exhausted? Nothing. Who would you talk to, since you're the only person alive? Noone. Now that sounds like a much more frightening prospect than nothingness. I guess you could say I fear being helpless in life more than being nothing in death, since its pretty much the same thing.

Cissy

Bronze Member
Eh, I still don't really fear it that much. Of course, I would prefer to be able to think, and breath and do other things that would prolong my own existence. Who wouldn't? But fearing the nothingness of death almost seems like an attempt to deny it, which is ultimately futile since we all gotta kick the bucket sometime. I'm not saying that I'm not afraid of dying - I am. Most sensible people are. I'm just not that afraid of what comes after death - which, to me, is nothing.

I've already accepted that we are, to put it in your own terms, insignificant and mortal. The human race as a whole hasn't existed for that long. Like most things on Earth, we too will eventually die out and be forgotten about. Heck, the Earth itself will have to "die" sometime. So even if we could "live forever" instead of dying, it would seem more like a curse than anything else. Where would we go to once the Sun's dead, and the Earth is barren? Nowhere. What would we entertain ourselves with once all venues of entertainment have been exhausted? Nothing. Who would you talk to, since you're the only person alive? Noone. Now that sounds like a much more frightening prospect than nothingness. I guess you could say I fear being helpless in life more than being nothing in death, since its pretty much the same thing.
Mhmm. I'd have to agree somewhat, and then disagree in other areas. Like you, it's not very much that I fear what comes after death, but more or less the very process of dying---since I, like many others, have an almost infantile fear of pain. However, when you compare the idea of "nothingness" with the fated concept of "Heaven", you can't help but notice the jarring difference between them. It's almost depressing in that regard. However, I suppose if one were to compare it to Hell, it would seem that much more promising. And it isn't so much what I think as it is what I think others think; I'd imagine that most people are so attached to their existence (and who wouldn't be? It's the only thing allowing us to interact with the world) that they don't want to delve into the notion that we can lose that very thing, that soul, that conscience, whatever you want to call it, so easily and effortlessly.

The thing is that we're so comfortable with where we are now, privileged and (somewhat) isolated with the rest of the universe, that we forget we, as humans, aren't exactly the most important thing around. And yes, I won't go as far as to say that sustaining human life isn't important, but sometimes we must realize that like everything around us, it doesn't last forever, and isn't necessarily supposed to.

Aetheus

The thing is that we're so comfortable with where we are now, privileged and (somewhat) isolated with the rest of the universe, that we forget we, as humans, aren't exactly the most important thing around. And yes, I won't go as far as to say that sustaining human life isn't important, but sometimes we must realize that like everything around us, it doesn't last forever, and isn't necessarily supposed to.

Exactly. And I presume thats one of the deeper reasons why people treasure life in the first place - because its limited. Ironically, fear of death actually helps us to improve life. If we din't fear death, we would probably put off doing things that are fun/interesting/fulfilling, since "there's always a tomorrow". And if we din't have to die, we probably wouldn't bother taking care of our health, either.

While none of us actually think "Oh, I'm gonna have to die today, so I better do this right now", we do accept that we have to die eventually, and that is sometimes what pushes us to do things in life. Infact, if there was no "death", there could hardly be much space for "life" on Earth. Imagine a world where nobody dies, and the population keeps expanding on limited ground. This may sound cold and perhaps even suicidal, but death has its purposes.

Eh, but it seems like we're moving further and further away from the "religious" aspect of the topic.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
So; do any of you actually believe in an after life in some sort of heaven/Fidler's Green/nirvana/hell/whatever?

I believe in heaven. However I do not believe it is this place where the good people who die go and live in an eternal bliss. Rather, I believe in a very structured and organized kingdom of sorts that is - heaven. Where God, Jesus, and the many other spirit creatures work and rule.

Or would you prefer to think that you could wander around on Earth, shrieking in basements while you spy on your living friends and family?

That, I completely disagree with as I do not believe that people have spirits or something that leaves the body after death and continues living.

I don't really think theres a "paradise" awaiting me after my body rots. If such things actually exists, I'd probably go to hell for the crime of not being religious. I think this life is about all we got, and we gotta make the best of it - Going to Heaven is something you can hope for, but enjoying your life as it is is something you can actually do.

I believe in a future paradise, on earth. This is where countless billions would be resurrected to life in beautiful and much better conditions than we see today. A resurrection to human life.

I have to agree with you. As a matter of fact that is what the Bible teaches and as I'm sure you're fully aware, I believe in the Bible. lol

Actually, that doesn't sound at all like a bad idea of an "after life". A complete nothingness after death isn't exactly a terrifying prospect. It certainly sounds better than burning in an eternal pit full of supernatural nasties in any case.

Right? The one thing that many people don't realize especially in the Christian religions is that a pit of torment with fire and brimstone, etc. was not an original teaching of Christians. Eventually, the congregations adopted pagan beliefs to attract others around them. Even later on, as these doctrines became more rooted in, it was used as a source of control and power over the people. COME TO CHURCH! GIVE THE CHURCH YOUR MONEY! OR YOU WILL BURN FOREVER IN HELL!!! RAAR! >=D (no offense to anyone)

Anyway, so yeah, God is love. Thus even those he punishes, he doesn't want to suffer. Plus there are many scriptures to back that up.

The only thing that would bother me is not being able to, well, do anything. But since my mind would be long gone by then, I probably wouldn't be able to fret over such a thing either.

Yeah, I know what you mean, many times we have that fear. As the Bible says, it was built in us, the spiritual need. Death, as normal as it is, is not natural. It is not what God purposed. Thus for most people, we want to be happy forever and live happy forever because that's how God programed us, to live forever. Then Adam and Eve had to go and screw it up for all of the human race. Good thing God provided his Son as a ransom sacrifice so that we can get back on that road and one day inherit that perfect life again.

Yes. It's called "Eternal Sleep". Now I can finally "rest in peace" where I don't need to worry about my sleeping problems. :laugh:

Haha. No, but seriously, it's a possibility. But it's a "spiritual" thing, something that we cannot go into with logic and science to help us explore the matter. Some people dream, some people don't believe. But the only way to find out is to die, right? That's going to be a long time isn't it?

The only way to find out, is to die? Well, I wouldn't go that far. If there is nothing after death, then we still wouldn't have found out would we have? lol

I've already accepted that we are, to put it in your own terms, insignificant and mortal. The human race as a whole hasn't existed for that long. Like most things on Earth, we too will eventually die out and be forgotten about. Heck, the Earth itself will have to "die" sometime. So even if we could "live forever" instead of dying, it would seem more like a curse than anything else.

Why a curse? Think of all the accomplishments we could each make in that time. The new things to do and learn every day and on and on. All the new things to learn. There are infinite things to do and people to meet if you lived forever.

Malevolence

Raw Life
Yes I do believe in Heaven, and I wish I didn't have to believe in Hell.

And I read somewhere, that after you die you come back as an animal, I highly doubt that.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
In my bedroom sitting on my bed. I may pick up a b
I don't really have a belief in a sure afterlife. I've been asking myself the question about what might happen to us in the end at some points in the past few months. I mean, what really defines life? Our consciousness. We know we're alive because we can think, and see, or hear, feel, smell, taste. What happens when we die? Does that consciousness end? Do we - or does our "being", or "spirit" - drift in nothingness? Or is that taking the conjecture too far? We are physical things after all. The consciousness we perceive are from our brains and our bodies. When we die, our bodies degenerate and deteriorate. Do we... disappear? Our memories and attitudes, what make us who we are - the way we act, think, react to things, etc - are also determined by our brains, after all... Or is it? Do we rot in the ground, or wherever we are left when we die, or is it even possible for consciousness to go away? Is it possible to be nothing? To not think, feel, or any of that stuff, or is there something else? Is our consciousness something of a spirit, something that is sort of eternal and goes through reincarnation, filling new bodies, renewing memories each time, or does that consciousness go some places according to its "actions" - like heaven and hell(obviously)? ♪What is life?♪ What is death?♪

I can never be really sure. For now, I think. Really. The only thing to do to be really sure is to die yourself.

And the thing about God and Satan, Heaven and Hell, and all the other world religions. The belief of afterlives were created to find some closure to this question. And what makes any of them or just one or none to be true?

chaywa

A Picasso Reality
I'll just use Pascal's Wager in circumstances like these, out of scientific principle I tend not to, but if i've got nothing to lose and everything to win, i'll believe in the most minute possibility...

very differentiable
Awards
I think, like others around here, that death is eternal sleep, you just pass away and then there is nothing. I never have any dreams, i just sleep and i feel or notice nothing. I like to see death the same way, just a bit longer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back