• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Gintama

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

keybladeboi

A.K.A. Skylvia
I ran a search but didnt find any threads about this anime... anyone else seen it?

Gintama.jpg

Heres a run down from Wikipedia for the interested/curious;
Gintama - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The story takes place in Edo (known in real life as of 1868 as Tokyo), Japan, which has been taken over by aliens called Amanto since the late Edo period. The samurai of Japan have fallen, and the Amanto placed a ban on carrying swords in public. The story focuses on an eccentric samurai with a natural perm, Sakata Gintoki, his (partial) apprentice Shimura Shinpachi, and a teenage alien girl: Kagura. All three are "freelancers" who search for work in order to pay the monthly rent, which usually goes unpaid anyway.

The story is a humorous tale, one that uses puns to deliver jokes and pictures to enhance the jokes. None of the characters are entirely serious throughout the series and Sorachi complains about Shinpachi in terms of the crudeness of the manga (i.e. "Hey! Don't take up manga space with useless extra characters!!"). Sorachi often includes omake at the end of his chapters, most of which are rants complaining of why he has to write omake. The story also tends to break the fourth wall (such as when Shinpachi tells Gintoki that he only protected himself and Otae for about a page and Gintoki retorts that a page takes a long time for a manga artist to draw).

It's pretty funny, and has refrences to Shonen Jump Manga including some of the other series that have spurred from Jump (i.e. Bleach, with Gin reading Jump and saying "wow i wish i had a bankai like that...")

Ive watched the first 2 episodes, and it seems funny, but for viewers that are a fair way through the series, does it get abit more serious? do we get to see some good fight scenes and solid story? or is it just random comedy each episode?

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
I only seen it in Shogen Jump its seems like a awesome anime i read like 3 or 4 manga of it and i love it. Plus Gin seems to be badass even though it sort of weird he wants things to be beautiful

afrobutt

Silver Member
WEW! I didn't have to start this thread ^^

Anyway, bought the 1st volume of it on a whim.

Very good so far, reminds me A LOT of Rurouni Kenshin (Gin used to a powerful samurai in a rebel force, now lives in an era where swords are banned. I seriously want him to say "Oro?", just once :3)

I love how the charecters mention the fact that they're in a manga

Volume 1-Lesson 1 of Gintama said:
Shin- Hey! You only protected us for one page!
Gin-Shut up!! One page is a long time for a manga artist!

SSLaertes

Seeker of Darkness
I have never seen the anime, but I have read the beginnings of the manga. It's very interesting and actually matched up with my tastes quiet well, especially how much of a kick I get out of Samurai stuff. Reading this thread makes me want to finish what I started, unless it is still going that is =P

blinkboy211

A boy nobody owns
I didnt even know there was an anime for this but iit was one of my favorites in Shojen cause they always talked about the magzine which is hilarious and i was sort of mad that it was taken out of Jump magazine.

Better Tomorrow

A great anime, the comedy and how it makes humorous references to many other anime is real good. And from time to time the story does get serious in Gintama´s particular way.

afrobutt

Silver Member
Wow, I'm kinda surprised only seven people posted in this thread so far. I guess not a lot of people knows about the sheer awesome that is Gintama. Why is Gintama so godly?

Mmm, this deserves more posts

Also, Sadamaru biting heads to the point of bleeding= great gag.

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
I started reading this awhile ago but stopped for some reason, I'll have to pick it up again sometime.

It was pretty awesome from what I remember.

afrobutt

Silver Member
i need to pick of volume 11 :x

also watched some of the anime between when i posted here and uhhhhh now, not nearly as good as the manga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back