• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► In the Eye of the Beholder

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry there won't be any new chapters for a few days cause I'm going upnorth where there is no computer : (.. but! on the bright side I will have lot's of peaceful quiet time to write some goo chapters up there so there will be new ones as soon as I get back.

Thanks for the comments guys! you are the best!

Chapter Seven

Riku followed close behind Leon alongside Donald and Goofy. They made their way across the square, passing the stairs, reaching the doorway Riku had seen when he first arrived in Traverse Town.

“Third District. Be on your guard. The further streets are teaming with heartless,” Leon spoke quietly over his shoulder.

Riku gripped the keyblade and Leon pushed open the doors.

Adrenaline mixed with astonishment powered Riku’s ever quick movements. Heartless bounded towards him in jerking motions. The Keyblade, matched with his strength, took out any mere shadow heartless in one smooth, fluid stroke. The more stronger, complex heartless were an entirely new challenge. There were hundreds of them. To think he had been a part of this shocked Riku.

I brought this upon myself, thought Riku as he zig-zagged his weapon from left to right. Metal clanging against metal as he defended himself against an armored, floating enemy.

“This way!” called Leon, heading up a stairway across the infested district.

The pair who had been fighting alongside Riku ran to catch up with their guide. Donald pointed his staff to the sky startling heartless left and right. Goofy defended himself with a strong metal shield embellished with the symbol of the king.

For a moment Riku remembered the kindness Mickey had bestowed onto him. The words they had shared, the hope he had shown. It was a kindness he missed.

“Riku! Watch out!”

Riku turned to see the face of a Large Body inches from his own about to catch him off guard and pummel him to death with nothing other than his own stomach. Just as Riku was about to be smothered by the thick skin of the heartless, it froze, as if caught in time. Instantaneously Riku slashed through the heartless multiple times. Moments later, it woke up from its frozen state to receive the extent of the previous blows, sentencing him to evaporation.

Riku quickly ran up the stairs, following Donald to a bland door feet away from the landing above.

“Stopra,” spoke the Duck, “It’s a very difficult spell, extremely effective.”

“Yeah. Thanks.” Riku replied, knowing it was just what the duck wanted.

Riku looked around the small house they had entered. It was old and somewhat run-down. Dirty white tarps hung loosely over piles. He could see one box sticking out whose flaps had been left open. Inside were various nunchucks, ribbons, belts and an assortment of daggers and deathstars. Scribbled on the side were the words, ‘Yuffie’s things’ written in green permanent marker. Cardboard boxes filled up the corners and most of the space in the house except for a small square table in the center of the room. Stairs in the back led upwards to a second level, which Riku could only guess were the living quarters.

“It’s getting late. We’re all tired, you’ve seen what we have to deal with. You’ll be staying in a room upstairs. In the morning I’ll introduce you to the others. I’m sure they would not be highly accepting of the thought of you this late at night.” Leon said glancing coldly at Riku.

Riku followed Leon quietly up the stairs with Goofy and Donald behind him. However upon reaching the top, they swiftly split off, retiring to their own rooms. Leon led Riku to the very end of the hallway.

“You can sleep there,” he said gesturing to the left door.

The wood was cracked and splitting, but it was no different then the other doors, “Thanks.”

Leon turned and went into the adjacent room without another word.

So this is what it’s like, thought Riku. To be on the other side.

He stepped over the barrier and entered a small but cozy room furnished with a single bed, a small night stand baring a single candle, a small bureau and a single worn down armchair of the most faded blue color. Built into the wall on the same side of the door was a bookcase. It seemed no one had gotten around to cleaning this room yet because the bookshelf was bare apart from the dust that matted the many shelves.

Riku shook off the thin vest that was all that was covering his back. He looked down to remove his pants but looked up instantly as the painful memories flooded back into his mind. He quickly pulled them off. Grabbing a match out of the night stand, he lit the candle with ease. He watched his rage burn as he dangled the material over the flame. The ash floated through the stale air and fell to the ground. All Riku could do was dispose of it out the window. But the pain remained. No fire could destroy it.

He picked up his vest which he had swung over the bed and glanced at the bureau. He walked over and opened the drawer when he discovered it was already filled with clothing. New clothing that hadn’t even been worn yet. He closed the drawer and threw his vest into the corner of the room.

This isn’t my room, he thought to himself. It’s Sora’s.

He climbed into the soft bed that felt so much like home and yet still was so unwelcoming. The warm covers smothered his aching muscles and held him tight. Within moments he was asleep, lost in his own nightmares.

Apollo

Silver Member
Good buddy I did miss it! You are getting better every time!

[Would have been up sooner, but I was upnorth. Im a Minnesotan, what can you expect?]

In the Eye of the Beholder:

Chapter Eight

The metal pierced his hand. He looked down through the foggy air. The weapon, the Keyblade, melted away. His feet pushed forward out from under him. A chair of dry, unvarnished wood caught him as he fell backward without control. A rough table flew in, serving him a large bowl of delicious smelling stew. His stomach grumbled. Satisfaction was near. He picked up the rusty spoon laid beside the meal and fished for a bite. Closing his eyes he enveloped the utensil with his lips. A vile taste filled his mouth; the liquid burning his tongue. He spat the contents out onto the table with ultimate disgust. He looked at the contents and sifted his spoon through the bowl revealing rotten remains of carrots and cabbage, broccoli and potatoes. The legs of the small table jerked and twitched. The bowl spilled over, staining the table with colors of darkest purple. The table molded and transformed until it was but a shadow in his eyes. The leg became an arm. It stretched towards him and while he struggled to get away, he could not move. The arm reached out and a hand slowly grew out from the stem. The fingers joined together, forming a point. The hand, inches away from his immobile chest moved rapidly, gashing his skin with amazing power. True pain stabbed his center and he felt his body rip apart. The hand pulled away, caressed by his blood and flesh. The red stained fingers clutched his beating heart as the shadow danced away, leaving him. He wasn’t dead and to his surprise that fact made him furious.

Riku shook himself awake, sweat stinging his skin. His surroundings jumped out at him like a pop-up book and his freedom of movement felt new after escaping the world inside his own mind. He heaved his body up and swung his legs over the side of the bed, shaking his hair into a messy bed head state. He shivered as the wind from the window he had accidentally left open the night before cooled the sweat on his body.

“Rough night?”

Riku looked up, startled by the sudden conversation.

“I came to bring you some clothes. Leon said yours were pretty useless. What were you dreaming about anyway? You were thrashing around pretty hard.”

The young lady walked over to Riku and handed him a pile of various garments, however, to Riku, the term lady didn’t seem fitting to this new visitor.

“I dunno,” Riku lied, “I never remember my dreams.”

“Ahh. That’s a shame. Merlin’s pretty good at deciphering them, but I suppose you haven’t met him yet. Well then I’ll see you down at breakfast I suppose.” the stranger said as she began to walk towards the threshold.

“Wait. What’s your name then?” Riku inquired with interest.

The girl stopped and turned to face him, “Oh, I’m sorry. My name’s Yuffie.” she smiled and then continued out the door.

Riku quickly dressed into a pair of dark grey, loose fitting pants and a plain navy long sleeved shirt that advertised the local accessory shop. He then cautiously made his way down to breakfast.

Riku took a deep breath and moved through the barrier. It definitely was not your average breakfast table, that was for sure. A number of individuals busied themselves in the little space. Yes, some were in fact eating meals of toast and jam and fruit and oatmeal. Others were shifting through piles of papers and books with utmost concentration. In fact, as Riku paid closer attention, the only ones eating were Donald and Goofy.

Creamy white stockings clung to her legs, accentuating her toned stature up through her mid thigh. Her golden boots of worn looking leather gripped the floor. Matching leather gloves cut off at the knuckles covered her wrists. Belted suspenders held up the small, fitted top covering her chest. A bright yellow scarf wrapped around her neck shifted as she swayed left and right. Cargo shorts twisted about her waist, held up by a loose blue belt as she bent over the box Riku had noticed last night.

Her short jet black hair cut in front of her eyes and fell around the back of her neck, framing her delicate face. A white headband held tightly to her forehead, contrasting her deep dark blue eyes which were busy closely examining countless numbers of daggers and deathstars. Her soft fingers reached out and smoothed across the blades, admiring the shiny disposition. Yuffie didn’t seem to notice Riku, but if she did, she paid no attention to him. A shard of pain hit his heart and anger fused his thoughts. Riku didn’t really understand why or perhaps he couldn’t admit to it.

“Would you like something to eat?”

“Oh! Uhhh.. yeah sure. That’d be great. Thanks.” Riku spoke, surprised by the unfamiliar voice.

A young lady, more fitting to the word, offered him a bowl of oatmeal and two pieces of toasted brown bread glazed with warm butter. Rosy pink straps draped over her shoulders holding up her dress of the same color. Matching buttons dotted the cotton material from the center of her chest down to her ankles. Brown leather boots peeked out from the pink.

A red ribbon held together her braided hair. Her brunette bangs alongside her bright green eyes reminded Riku of Selphie from Destiny Islands. I wonder if she made it off. I wonder if she’s safe. Riku hadn’t thought about that night in awhile. It all seemed so long ago.

He noticed another new face in a solid man with a stocky stature and somewhat spiky blonde hair.

“Riku. This is Cid,” Leon said pointing to the man, “He used to run the accessory shop. Now, he will take care of all of your Gummi Ship needs.” The man nodded gruffly, “This is Aerith,” Leon said nodding towards the young woman who had fed Riku, “and I believe you have already met Yuffie, correct?”

“Correct!” chirped the Yuffie, standing up from her crouched position and making her way to the table along with everyone else.

“Great. So now that everyone has been introduced, we’d like to hear from you, what happened.” Leon said, leaning into Riku.

Riku had finished his breakfast quickly after receiving it, “What happened.. when? On the island, when everyone was safe and we never thought about the darkness? Or are you talking about the night the Island was destroyed? Or maybe the moment I followed Ansem into shadow? Or is it about the day I murdered my only true friend!” his frustration sharply rose.

Riku closed his eyes and breathed heavy, his vision going hazy.

Leon didn’t blink, “Everything.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back