• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Jack Sparrow

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

KHRULER

Awards
This is a really stupid question but, you know how Sora let Jack hold his keyblade and it returned to Sora?Does that mean that he would be able to wield a keyblade or?

Gram

Banned
Awards
Nope, Sora isn't a master and doesn't have the power to pass the ability. And even if the ability is passed it doesn't guarantee a keyblade.

And unlike Terra Sora wasn't of suitable power either:

-- The Keyblade succession can only be performed by a Keyblade Master, but we see Terra performing this rite with Riku - does this mean we can consider Terra a Keyblade Master?

Nomura: No. Terra was not awarded that title by his Master Eraqus, so no matter how Master Xehanort flatters him he is not a Keyblade Master. But that's just a matter of whether or not he's achieved the official title. Even Eraqus recognised that Terra possessed suitable power to be a Master, which is why he was able to perform the rite for Riku.
source: http://www.khinsider.com/news/Birth-by-Sleep-Plot-Mysteries-Interview-1364

Sora is neither a master nor did he get recognized by a master.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
And remember, the Keyblade itself has to acknowledge Jack Sparrow as a worthy wielder before he could wield one of his own.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
No.

If Jack was able to hold the keyblade without it disappearing into Sora's hand, then yes. He would be able to wield. But he couldn't so Jack can't become a keyblade wielder.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
If Jack was able to hold the keyblade without it disappearing into Sora's hand, then yes. He would be able to wield. But he couldn't so Jack can't become a keyblade wielder.

Not necessarily. As Anagram stated, the bequeathing has to be performed by a Keyblade Master or someone of a Keyblade Master's level, such as Terra when he performed the ritual on Riku. Sora wasn't a master at that time and still isn't, which means Jack Sparrow will not be able to wield the Keyblade regardless of it having stayed or not.

In KH1, Leon took hold of the Keyblade and it didn't disappear; he inspected it for a while and even tossed it back to Sora. That didn't count as a bequeathing ritual.

Gram

Banned
Awards
In KH1, Leon took hold of the Keyblade and it didn't disappear; he inspected it for a while and even tossed it back to Sora.
Actually the keyblade did leave Leons hand, though it stayed a fair amount of seconds before disappearing on him.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Ah, yeah, it did. The one who tossed it back was Riku. My memories are failing me. XD

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Not necessarily. As Anagram stated, the bequeathing has to be performed by a Keyblade Master or someone of a Keyblade Master's level, such as Terra when he performed the ritual on Riku. Sora wasn't a master at that time and still isn't, which means Jack Sparrow will not be able to wield the Keyblade regardless of it having stayed or not.

In KH1, Leon took hold of the Keyblade and it didn't disappear; he inspected it for a while and even tossed it back to Sora. That didn't count as a bequeathing ritual.

Oh yeah that's right. Well Sora is master level now so he could preform a ceremony if he wanted.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Oh yeah that's right. Well Sora is master level now so he could preform a ceremony if he wanted.

Not necessarily, what that quote I listed points out is that the person in question has to be recognized by a master as only one master can give the title to another bearer.

Sora hasn't had such recognition.

Terra was recognized by his master as having suitable power of a master which allowed him to do the ceremony but Sora didn't get that kind of recognition either.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
Not necessarily, what that quote I listed points out is that the person in question has to be recognized by a master as only one master can give the title to another bearer.

Sora hasn't had such recognition.

What about Terra? He's not a master and he was able to preform the ceremony.

Gram

Banned
Awards
What about Terra? He's not a master and he was able to preform the ceremony.

As I pointed out in my edit as well as the quote of my first post:
- The Keyblade succession can only be performed by a Keyblade Master, but we see Terra performing this rite with Riku - does this mean we can consider Terra a Keyblade Master?

Nomura: No. Terra was not awarded that title by his Master Eraqus, so no matter how Master Xehanort flatters him he is not a Keyblade Master. But that's just a matter of whether or not he's achieved the official title. Even Eraqus recognised that Terra possessed suitable power to be a Master, which is why he was able to perform the rite for Riku.

Me said:
Terra was recognized by his master as having suitable power of a master which allowed him to do the ceremony but Sora didn't get that kind of recognition either.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
By this logic, every villain that Sora ever smacked in the face with the Keyblade can now wield.

Even Captain Hook.
He could have a Keyblade hand instead of a hook. Peter Pan better say his goddamn prayers.

Rolands

Wait wait wait, a person can only do a rite of succession if one Keyblade Master considers them to be a Keyblade Master? That seems all sorts of contrived. There's no precedent in the KH-verse for people's opinions of others to dictate personal capabilities. Sora is extremely powerful, quite possibly "master" level, whatever that is.

Solo

Silver Member
Awards
Just clarifying, a person can only do the rites if he or she is recognised by a Keyblade Master as possessing suitable power as a master him / herself, or if he or she is a Keyblade Master him / herself.

You said,

There's no precedent in the KH-verse for people's opinions of others to dictate personal capabilities.

which is true. Otherwise, someone could have defeated anyone simply by having an opinion that they are weaker than him or her.

However, this wasn't what happened in Terra's case. If anything, it was the other way around. It was not that Eraqus' opinion allowed Terra to be a master-level wielder, but it was Terra's endeavours that had led to Eraqus recognising him, hence his capability to perform the rites without even bearing an official title of a Keyblade Master. That "opinion" was not simply an opinion, it was recognition and not without basis.

Eventually, it all traces back to Terra, not Eraqus, whom the onus had been on. Had Terra not demonstrated suitable power to be a Keyblade Master, Eraqus would not have recognised him as he did and the story would have played in a different manner.

A little caveat, though, is that this is my take on this matter. I am just as likely to be wrong as I could be correct, and I would appreciate if someone could point out where I am mistaken by providing supporting facts.

Last edited:

Rolands

I guess that makes some level of sense, considering that Keyblades are known to choose their Wielders. Having a master put in a good say for someone probably makes the keyblade more willing to follow that person's recommendations.

KeybladeGuy

Awards
No, Jack an not wield the keyblade unless

A) A Keyblade Master bequeaths it to them upon their demise
B) It recognizes Jack as it's wielder.

It was a minor joke point, adding humor. Not meant to be heavily dwelt on, just thrown in for a quick laugh.

Gram

Banned
Awards
Launchpadmcquack said:
By this logic, every villain that Sora ever smacked in the face with the Keyblade can now wield.

Even Captain Hook.
He could have a Keyblade hand instead of a hook. Peter Pan better say his goddamn prayers.
Rolands said:
Wait wait wait, a person can only do a rite of succession if one Keyblade Master considers them to be a Keyblade Master? That seems all sorts of contrived. There's no precedent in the KH-verse for people's opinions of others to dictate personal capabilities. Sora is extremely powerful, quite possibly "master" level, whatever that is.

Just clarifying, a person can only do the rites if he or she is recognised by a Keyblade Master as possessing suitable power as a master him / herself, or if he or she is a Keyblade Master him / herself.

You said,

which is true. Otherwise, someone could have defeated anyone simply by having an opinion that they are weaker than him or her.

However, this wasn't what happened in Terra's case. If anything, it was the other way around. It was not that Eraqus' opinion allowed Terra to be a master-level wielder, but it was Terra's endeavours that had led to Eraqus recognising him, hence his capability to perform the rites without even bearing an official title of a Keyblade Master. That "opinion" was not simply an opinion, it was recognition and not without basis.

Eventually, it all traces back to Terra, not Eraqus, whom the onus had been on. Had Terra not demonstrated suitable power to be a Keyblade Master, Eraqus would not have recognised him as he did and the story would have played in a different manner.

Ah sorry for the confusion but basically this ^

It isn't just the recognition of the master alone but also the keyblade. The reason I pointed out recognition was because of this line from DDD's glossary:

Dream Drop Distance Glossary said:
While the word "master" might be tossed around, only an existing Keyblade Master can pass on the title and it's associated powers.

Among the Keyblade Masters is one true "successor" who is tasked with protecting a hallowed ground known as Land of Departure

Only one master can pass the title and the knowledge and powers associated with it to another bearer.
And as we seen in the quote I posted on the first page this requires them to be recognized by the master training them to be of that level.
Terra received that recognition by both his master and obviously his keyblade. Sora, on the other hand, has not.
If he had yen sid would've awarded him that title.

Rolands said:
Sora is extremely powerful, quite possibly "master" level, whatever that is
Sora is indeed strong but strength alone obviously isn't enough. We dont know exactly what "master level" is or what it fully requires but Eraqus pointed out in his examination of Terra in Aqua that it was:

Eraqus said:
Today you will be examined for the Mark of Mastery. Not one but two
of the Keyblade's chosen stand here as candidates... but this is neither a
competition nor a battle for supremacy-- not a test of wills, but a test of
heart.
Both of you may prevail, or neither. But I am sure our guest, Master
Xehanort... did not travel all this way to see our youngest prospects in years
fall short of the Mark. I trust you are ready.

The key factor seems to be a test of heart not just power. If it was on strength alone you wouldn't need a test just train till your hax as diddly.
And while Sora may be powerful that doesn't mean he is like Terra who, while denied an official title, was recognized as being of a masters level by his master.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
The key factor seems to be a test of heart not just power. If it was on strength alone you wouldn't need a test just train till your hax as diddly.
And while Sora may be powerful that doesn't mean he is like Terra who, while denied an official title, was recognized as being of a masters level by his master.

Correct, after the exam Eraqus even mentioned that he would make Terra a Master immediately if he could it have his way.
The only reason Terra didn't receive the title in the first place was on the issue that he apparently failed to "keep his darkness in check".

And even when not incorporating the fact that Sora has not the power to perform the ceremony, it wasn't even performed correctly anyways.
The ceremony works by both the wielder at Master Level and the possible candidate holding the Keyblade together for more than just a brief moment, as shown with both Terra and little Riku as well as Aqua and Kairi.
In KH 2 Sora handed the blade over to Jack Sparrow and they held on to it both just for a split second.

Then again however, asking if Jack Sparrow could be a potential wielder if one doesn't know the mechanics of the ceremony (and the requirements in order to be able to perform it) makes at least more sense than people speculating that Lea got his Keyblade by picking up Ven's wooden Keyblade, which is nothing but a mere toy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back