• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Lies My Teacher Told Me:Everything Your American History Textbook Got Wrong

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Noblethe3rd

At college, seeking a higher education, and if I t
So while strolling through Barnes and Noble, I had the most interesting experience when I stumbled acrossed this book. As one who is highly interested in History and how the world has been portrayed by the victors and the dominant people of the time. This book is highy informative, though biased at times towards certain History books. I suggest that everyone who has any interest in History, though there are so few of you, to read this book and establish your own views about how accurately the book analyzes American History and how it is taught to you.

Just to see if their is any possible way to get people to read this book, I will now attempt to bring in some of the highlights that I have come acrossed in the book. For example, who believes that Columbus first "discovered" America? How about the Vikings? True they were ones who visited the Western Hemisphere but they obviously weren't the first to discover it simply because of the fact that there were inhabitants on the continent before they arrived. But who is often credited with "discovering" America? This is one of the many things the book dissects over the 300 some pages. The best part of the book, its not a blatant whining of a man but a well researched and highly informed depiction of what is actually said in the history books that are used in high schools throughout America.

For those that are far to lazy to read a 300 page book, I suggest that you at least consider what is being taught and not always take everything for face value and assume that it is the whole truth and everything that contradicts it is a blatant lie.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I've always enjoyed such debunking books, but have always held a slight suspicion as well- I assume, therefore, that this book also has substantial sources and evidence backing its own claims (knowing you, I would expect no less).

But yes, there is also an excellent series of just such books under the title of something like "Beloved Myths and Oft-Told Lies of [insert history here]". Actually, that's probably not even remotely close to the actual title, but it gets the point across. Some of the stuff they put up as alternative theories/facts is worth the time to actually look into personally before showing it off to your history teacher, but the author is the first to admit this in the foreward of his own book- "Please, don't take my word for any of this stuff, because if you do you'll be missing the entire point of these books"*

I'll have to look into this "Lies My Teacher Told Me" as well, however. Intriguing.

*note: I don't remember if this is an actual quote or I just made it up. Buy the book, and then tell me.

Square Ninja

"special recipe"
Website
www.classicgaming.com
Damn it, people! Stop reading such books. Now there's another one I want to check out.

Anyway, I attended a historian's conference not too long ago. I attended a panel for some extra credit in my World Civilizations class, but would have gone anyway. I attended a panel on the Church in Medieval England, and the question of just how unbiased is our view of generalist history. It's interesting stuff, to say the least.

E

Eclipse

oh well. even if it isn't true, i knew the fact that well before the vikings were the early humans and native americans. They teach that in the history books, they sometimes even say how the europeans "stole" their land. They have a whole movie about it, it's called - Disney's: Pocahontas xDD

Even if some of the things taught in history books aren't true, im kind of fascinated with history as well, but i never fed the hobby, so it never got started. But even if the history books are wrong, i can always go to barnes and nobles, and pick up the two books mentioned in this thread. After all, i'm not gonna be a history major when i grow up, i have other things planned

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back