• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Memory Wipes

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

gstkh2

As much as love the series, there has been one plot hole, one single plot hole, that I just cannot seem to skirt, surmount or ignore. So, right now, I will try to pave over it outright.

We know that people go through four states of existence: human, Heartless, Nobody and rebirth (a human once more.)
We also know that the only people to have gone through these stages onscreen are five members of the Org (III, IV, V, VI, VIII) and, arguably, Xigbar and Saix. They do, however, retain that Recusant Sigil in their names, but I think that's just because either (a) being in the True Organization they must bear it as a sign of their servitude to Master Xehanort (even though the eyes and ears are sign enough) or (b) their hearts are not their own, since they bear pieces of Master Xehanort's heart, and still technically have no hearts of their own. Lea called Saix "Isa" in DDD, though, which leads me to believe that(a) is more plausible. This is a tangent for a whole other thread, though.

What I began this one to ask is: why the heck can they never seem to remember their demise???

Think about it. Nobodies are supposed to retain memories of their existence as people and, as far as we know, they all do. We know that the reason the other apprentices, along with Isa and Lea, became Nobodies is because Xehanort went on a crazy heart-releasing spree once he regained the power to use the Keyblade, effectively killing them. They did not, as far as I understand, ask to become Heartless.

Perhaps after performing all those... let's say, morally ambiguous experiments, on the people of Radiant Garden, they realized they were stuck with this man, conjoined eternally through the sins of their work. That could be why some of them yearned so badly to become whole again.

But, that explanation doesn't seem rock solid. Why did they agree to join the Org, to work for this guy who condemned them to a non-existence? Is it because becoming a Nobody granted special powers, and they felt gratitude?
I think what's most plausible is that Xemnas, supposedly being the world's first Nobody, and having dominion over nothingness--the element that all Nobodies are comprised of--has the power to change the shape of Nobodies. As they live a twilight, non-existence, he can morph them as he can control nothingness. Remember all those times through Days and the intro to KHII, when Axel and Xion talked about getting "turned into a Dusk?" I think it is Xemnas who had the power to do that.

And as for demonstrating his power, his Heartless and the newly released armada of darkness were in the Realm of Light, wreaking havoc, destroying worlds and seizing hearts for the first time since the age of fairy tales, meaning the first low ranking Nobodies were born.
Xemnas maybe made an example of some of them to keep them in line.

So here's the one that really makes no sense.

Axel murdered Vexen in cold blood, and had the Riku Replica kill Zexion and absorb his life force, effectively assassinating both of them--hence his underlings, the assassins.
And when they all came back in Radiant Garden, none of them could remember a thing.
My working theory is that Ienzo, having been so overcome with elation and joy at coming back to life and finally having a heart and feeling real emotion once more, completely forgot about that entire unpleasantry. But...really?

Thoughts?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
death is really nonexistent in the kh series, its more like taking a rest.

do you ever remember falling asleep?

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
death is really nonexistent in the kh series, its more like taking a rest.

do you ever remember falling asleep?

I thought I read somewhere that death is still a thing in this series. It's just that a death from a heartless doesn't count now because of obvious reasons. When Eraqus died (if he's dead at all), we didn't see a heartless or even a nobody.

Xickin

Traitor of KHInsider.com
Awards
Website
nicholasdoyle6.wixsite.com
Yeah actually, I've really thought about that for a long time.
Why weren't the Nobodies (despite not having hearts) not pissed? I mean it must have taken them a second to realize what they were, so they could have mistake memory for emotion, in which case why did they listen to Xemnas at all!?

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I thought I read somewhere that death is still a thing in this series. It's just that a death from a heartless doesn't count now because of obvious reasons. When Eraqus died (if he's dead at all), I didn't see a heartless or even a nobody.
his heart went to terra, helping fight mx from the inside which means he still has a conscience and is alive in some shape or form. look at every other freaking character in the franchise, a heart is all he needs. its the same situation with kairi only eraqus' body ceased to exist. he's using terra as a vessel but operating as a white blood cell rather than a virus (xehanort).

Emperor

The original members of the organization were all in on the experiments with Apprentice Xehanort, right? I also don't recall him being the one to turn them into heartless, I thought he only did that to Braig upon waking up with his memory. As for Axel and the other members they probably followed Xemnas out of fear. Xemnas does threaten to erase Axel at the beginning of KH2 in an FM scene.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards
You're right about Apprentice Nort attacking them but we don't know for a fact that they knew who it was, for all we know he could have sneaked up on them. Braig is the only one who saw it happen(that we saw).

As for Ienzo not having any beef with Lea, I got nothing. I can't say anything about DDD with certainty, other than personal opinions.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
As for Ienzo not having any beef with Lea, I got nothing. I can't say anything about DDD with certainty.

well, they were all admittedly different people, and kh has always had wonky storytelling when it comes to the subject of memories so i suppose we'll most likely remain in the dark.

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
his heart went to terra, helping fight mx from the inside which means he still has a conscience and is alive in some shape or form. look at every other freaking character in the franchise, a heart is all he needs. its the same situation with kairi only eraqus' body ceased to exist. he's using terra as a vessel but operating as a white blood cell rather than a virus (xehanort).

Right but what happens when you destory the heart by regular means and have no way of entering your heart into someone else? Or does destroying your heart in any way create a heartless regardless? I'm still fuzzy on that lol.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
Right but what happens when you destory the heart by regular means and have no way of entering your heart into someone else? Or does destroying your heart in any way create a heartless regardless? I'm still fuzzy on that lol.
it can't be destroyed. it goes to kingdom hearts until the nobody is slain in which the person becomes whole once more.

Absent

Nomura's Biggest Fan
Awards

You destroy yourself, cease to exist perhaps? We can't say how the destruction of a heart would play out, since it hasn't happened... yet. As for death the reports explain it as the soul leaving the body.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
off-topic, but i was thinking. by assuming the heart cannot be destroyed, this lead me to believe xehanort's demise will not be permanent. rather, aladdin'ing him into eternity trapped. maybe the 7 lights locking him away into kingdom hearts?

MrFranklin95

Awards
Website
www.facebook.com
You destroy yourself, cease to exist perhaps? We can't say how the destruction of a heart would play out, since it hasn't happened... yet. As for death the reports explain it as the soul leaving the body.

Ok. Yeah, death has always been a confusing thing in this series lol. So... technically there is death by two possible means? The soul leaving the body, which I don't think has happened yet but is confirmed by the journal and the destruction of the heart which hasn't happened yet but I imagine it's something that would be good to delve into in the future... if the series ever does that. It would be interesting. It's not confirmed anywhere but that doesn't mean its unconfirmed since the series has never said otherwise, so the possibility isn't ruled out.

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
it can't be destroyed. it goes to kingdom hearts until the nobody is slain in which the person becomes whole once more.

*pokes Ventus* Yeah, while it may not be possible to completely destroy a heart, it's quite possible to smash it up so badly that it's put out of commission for a very, very long time, without even technically creating a Heartless or Nobody for the conventional way out. From what I've seen, damage a heart that badly, and it will fade completely (effectively killing that person) unless it latches onto another's heart.

And even if this isn't the case, I've been through stories of supposedly unkillable foes before, and those were resolved by doing something to them so that their essence was scattered so thinly, they would probably never rejoin into a consciousness again.

Audo

press △ to sora
Awards
Website
avale-reves.tumblr.com
There's nothing saying that they don't remember how they became Nobodies, or how they died as Nobodies.

According to Xaldin, they intentionally cast off their hearts and only realized it was a mistake afterward, which would explain why they all still work with Xemnas (one) because he was their best chance at getting a heart like it or not and (two) he didn't force them into becoming Nobodies, at least as far as they understood it.

As for Ienzo not being mad at Lea, there isn't really anything to concretely say it is because he forgot how he died, but my guess is more that they decided to sweep it under the rug. After all, Ienzo got what he wanted (becoming complete) because Axel did that. Which is probably how such a conversation would go if it was depicted. I also think the KH team just don't really bother much with consistent character stuff. I would not be surprised if Kairi and Lea have magically "forgot" their whole little kidnapping thing come KH3.

Anagram

Banned
*reads thread* How did this go from memory to death?

Yeah death is practically nonexistent in the series. "Death" is basically defined by the bodies destruction or "natural" death in which you just grow so dang old the soul gives out and the body falls over.
Unless Nomura forgets his own convoluted lore at this point, which I bet he does or at least has a huge ass notebook, "life" is basically defined by a heart (who you are), a body (your physical shell) and your soul (the battery of the body).
"Dying" is just the soul giving out or the body losing ability to function. The heart goes wherever. It kinda makes light of death worse than Sailor Moon or Dragonball does. Or at least it's heading in that direction.

I'm sure there's some 'explanation' for the nobody>human jargon somewhere on how it "isn't death". Either way there's definitely no tension now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back