• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Music

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pirates

I was thinking about music today.
It is such an amazing thing.

Every culture has music and everyone seems to enjoy music in some form, be that rock, classical, or even things like chamber music.

It can alter our moods, teach us about life, and be relaxing to just passively listen to

Does anyone know why this is so? What is it about music that is so appealing?

I mean, I love pancakes. I think they are great but some people dont. That is how things usually work for the world. But I havnt found anything else that everyone likes more than music.

so, what are your views on it? got any insight about my music mystery?

Black Rose Witch

JRPG Fan
I was thinking about music today.
It is such an amazing thing.

Every culture has music and everyone seems to enjoy music in some form, be that rock, classical, or even things like chamber music.

It can alter our moods, teach us about life, and be relaxing to just passively listen to

Does anyone know why this is so? What is it about music that is so appealing?

I mean, I love pancakes. I think they are great but some people dont. That is how things usually work for the world. But I havnt found anything else that everyone likes more than music.

so, what are your views on it? got any insight about my music mystery?

I just think it was one of god's amazing gifts he gave us all to be able to enjoy. Music is one of the best gifts i think. It is so powerful and can stir our emotions so easily. We can become angry, sad, or happy within seconds of hearing a particular song. I for one could not believe in a world without music because music is the thing that keeps me going sometimes. I think it is amazing, and if I had to choose between going deaf and blind, i would go blind right away. Music is my passion and I adore it!

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
if I had to choose between going deaf and blind, i would go blind right away.

Our species (and especially our society) relies heavily on sight as a primary sense. While I don't make the generalization that all blind people live depleted lives, sight is surely the hardest of the five senses to live without in modern society.

I personally wonder where from our evolutionary heritage does our appreciation for the arts stem. What forces of selection swayed the proliferation of the 'art connoisseur gene'? Incidentally, is birdsong an art? Are other creatures capable of it? Or is this yet another human-only concept?

Black Rose Witch

JRPG Fan
Our species (and especially our society) relies heavily on sight as a primary sense. While I don't make the generalization that all blind people live depleted lives, sight is surely the hardest of the five senses to live without in modern society.

I know its weird to think about it, but I really would choose to be able to hear because then i can still hear my loved ones say they love me and i can hear beautiful music..

O

Oberon

The great thing about music is that when it hits, you feel no pain. - Bob Marley

.Oji

赤いテキスト
I strongly recommend you watch "The Music Instinct," Pirates. It's an intriguing documentary of the science of music. I'm sure you'd enjoy it.

[video=youtube;re4WQgOxCuA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=re4WQgOxCuA&feature=related[/video]

The full documentary should be up on Youtube.

Pirates

Wow. Thanks. That is exaclty what I was looking for.
I knew it was more that just sound.

It is something I never thought about before and now I wont forget it.

LongLiveLife

Bronze Member
I know its weird to think about it, but I really would choose to be able to hear because then i can still hear my loved ones say they love me and i can hear beautiful music..

Except you wouldn't see the semi-open door that they're behind calling you, and, unless you learn to echolocate, you'll continue walking and smash straight into it.

The full documentary should be up on Youtube.

Though drastically simplified, the full documentary addresses most of my questions. It's an entertaining introduction to the broader topic, which I recommend anyone with even a modicum of interest in music, or the science behind it, watch. An interesting question it poses is: Why music and not something else?

I'm quite curious about the alternate reality where the equivalent of music is fragrance...or touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back