• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► One-shot entry: Respite

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
For those of you who have read Pickle's latest one-shot ... well, this is my version. Her character meets my character. It's violent, gory, and I guess you could call it romantic. Minus the actual romance part. It's mostly just a fight scene with drama thrown in.

This better be good enough!

It was amazing how emotional an ocean could be. Sitting on the fine black sand amidst those jagged rocks, it was easy to believe that the sea was so much more alive than he was. Yes, Hollow knew he belonged here; it was were all his feelings had come, saturated into the dark water.

He could imagine how desperate the waves were, dragging themselves up onto the beach with foam-laced fingers, vainly digging their nails into the sand before slipping back down again. But they never stopped; you could learn persistence from watching them.

How sorrowful too. The salty tears of all the victims who had lost their worlds or very beings to Kingdom Hearts, swelling up before him, sobbing out their stories to the cold, stoic moon above. Like damned souls seeking redemption, they slunk around his ankles, supplicating. The steady drum of waves sounded different each time, if you listened closely enough; like a whispered prayer, begging for hope. Yet the eternal night gave no solace.

But the ocean was angry too; he could feel that. The waves would sometimes rise and crash, rushing up to grab him as they tried to pull him into those grim depths. It roared in fury, the brief glow of moonlight on the water’s crest like the glint of bloodthirsty fangs in the dark.

Hollow was present for all these changes, watching the obsidian sea of Kingdom Hearts mock him, throwing those feelings back at his stoic self. The emotions were once mine, he thought. Now part of a greater whole, they’ve come to taunt me.

But the water was uncaring; it did not love. He could deal with that.

The Heartless cared though, ironic as that may seem. He could hear their worried thoughts, sense it in their tone of voice when they brought him each new piece of news. They told him about how the demonic Heartless-girl he had once loved was coming, destroying what got in her way. Coming to kill him.

"Soon," Hollow said aloud, as if addressing the white moon and its distorted reflection. That was what the Shadows had said last time they came with an update. Soon.

He was alone now though. He didn’t want the Heartless to worry more than they already were.

The golden-eyed boy didn’t speak again, keeping his thoughts to himself. He wouldn’t give that icy orb in the sky such satisfaction.

Soon.

Just as the Shadows had said, so it was. He heard her coming before her appearance, yet he didn’t move from his spot by the water.

Behind him, the air rippled in a parody of the adjacent waves, flickering with black energy. An unnatural shade appeared on the already dim sand, slowly spreading. Tendrils of midnight, like locks of Hollow’s hair, suddenly reared up from the ground and converged into a crackling pillar, molding around a tall, indistinguishable shape.

As though the portal had been ripped apart by the razor-edges of a dangerous squall, the shadows suddenly scattered, fading away to reveal a red-eyed figure with two long, curved daggers in each hand.

Hollow stood slowly up, sighing, as though this gathering and what would follow it was no more exciting than a chance meeting in town. He turned his head slightly to his right, seeing Allecto out of the corner of his eye.

"I told you not to come."

Still that casual tone of voice, the voice of someone traipsing around the edges of conflict. The Heartless-girl wouldn’t have that. She rushed into conflict, caused it, loved it, controlled it. She flexed her red-and-black knives, twirling them for a moment.

"Yeah, well, I’ve never exactly been good at doing what I’m told, have I?" she snarled.

He didn’t respond to that, only continued nonchalantly. "I know why you’re here."

"Good. Saves me time."

Turning around, the black-handed boy faced Allecto, summoning his sword. Obsidian Flash, silver blade as cold as the moon as it extended from the ebony hilt, bordered by smaller blades on each side. He stared into her crimson-fire eyes, flecks of blood amidst the midnight-sapphire of her skin. They were filled with chilly hate, like ice encasing the blazing rage inside her.

"You don’t have to do this," he said softly. "It won’t help."

"Whoever the hell told you that has no idea what I’m feeling. Who won’t it help? Certainly not me." she laughed, short and acidic. "Trust me, killing you will be the only thing that helps."

"But why?"

"I thought you were at least smarter than that, Hollow!" she said his name with the same force she would use to fling one of her daggers at him. Without warning, she leapt forward, two-foot long black knives crossed in an X pattern. She swept them out, like serrated flower-petals blossoming, slamming them down upon the yellow-eyed boy. He blocked this blow easily, meeting her blades with the sharp ring of metal against metal.

"You knew I always hated you! Out of everyone, you’re who I hated the most! The only difference is, now I have the a reason to kill you!"

They traded blows, Hollow bringing Obsidian Flash down upon her only to be met with one dagger as she thrust the other towards his heart. Quick as lightning, he sliced his sword down, a hair’s breadth away from cutting her face as he blocked her stab. He used this leverage to push her back, following after her to slash his blade towards her. Allecto regained her balance by lightly touching upon the dead sand and sliding back, stretching out her arms and bringing them together again to clamp the silver sword between them. She ducked underneath it, pulling one red-handled weapon free to land a long cut to Hollow’s leg before jumping back.

Thick pewter blood, silver-black in the dim light, poured from the wound, causing several Dusks to appear on the outskirts. He ignored it after an initial glance, turning his gaze back to the sapphire-skinned girl, who was shaking droplets of silver blood from her ivory-blue hair. He noticed there were a few cuts on her, but no trace of them; the demonic Heartless, he knew, saved the crimson flow for her tears and never bled.

Simultaneously, they both stepped forward once more, Hollow sliding to the side and slicing Obsidian Flash in a diagonal assault, Allecto ducking under it once more, swinging both daggers to his head. He dodged the attack and managed to knock one of her weapons from her clawed hand.

The red-eyed Heartless bared her fangs and flung her remaining knife at him, using that as a distraction in her vulnerable state while she reached for her fallen dagger. It worked; Hollow was forced to strike the oncoming missile away, which she caught upon straightening up.

They faced each other once more, recovering their energy. Allecto glared at Hollow’s sword. Her own weapons were no more than plain and simple, albeit deadly, daggers. Nothing special about them. She hated having things with sentimental value. When they didn’t matter, there were no strings attached. Just the way she liked it. The demonic girl had so little freedom in her life, she took it out in small ways.

She had loved Hollow once. She still did. But that didn’t matter now. It wasn’t enough to stop her from killing him.

Allecto moved first this time, twirling her daggers in a blur of vermillion-onyx. Hollow lifted up his sword, sparks bursting in the air as the thin steel of her knives sliced the living silver of Obsidian Flash. She raised her left arm above her, ready to thrust it down onto his head. He moved to block the blow, but she was feinting; her other hand stabbed through his shirt with the other dagger, below the neck and between the shoulder and heart. Ripping apart the cloth of his garments, it pierced through flesh and bone in a gush of silver, spiking out the other side. Grinning ferally, she wasted no time in mimicking her move on the other side.

Hollow stumbled back from the impact, still gripping his weapon. Silently, he commanded the various Heartless to stay back as anxious or outraged voices rose in his head, offering to heal him, to fight their distant kin.

"I did love you, Hollow," Allecto said quietly, standing back as she watched him bleed, waves lapping around his feet. "And I still do. But I can’t really feel that now. Revenge is far more appealing."

She had traveled for days, across the multi-verse, leaving destruction in her wake. Stealing hearts, following their progress as they returned to the eternal darkness from which they were born from, searching for a way into Kingdom Hearts. It was over know. She could go on with her meaningless existence, freed from her last bond. From Hollow.

Or so she thought; but she was wrong. Her fiery eyes widened in shock, jaw clenching as she watched what she had believed to be a dying Hollow stand up and calmly wrench the knives from his flesh.

"Guess that didn’t work out like you planned."

"How did you become immortal!?" she hissed. Everything was crumbling; if he couldn’t, she’d be more chained than before. She couldn’t let him live. She couldn’t let him take her over.

"I have connections," he said simply, glaring at the extra Nobodies that had appeared. He hated them, she remembered. "Now that we’re both immortal, you no longer have an advantage."

And, with surprising speed and agility for one so injured, Hollow rocketed forward, driving Obsidian Flash straight through her shocked form. Allecto was pushed back a few feet, limp and helpless. He held the sword motionless, the tip protruding from her back. She choked, but otherwise didn’t make a sound.

"This doesn’t have to go further," he said. "Really, I don’t want to hurt you anymore."

In response, Allecto grasped the blade with both hands, squeezing it tight enough to leave deep cuts on her palms as she drove the sword in further. She smiled, a slight half-smile that seemed more grimace than grin.

"Allecto...." Hollow paused, hands still gripping the hilt of his weapon. "why?"

She was bleeding finally; was it because crimson tracks now lit her face? Leaning forward despite- or because? -the blade she was impaled upon, she said in a low, harsh voice, "You took away all that I had left. I said it before, and it was true; I did hate you Hollow. I hated you more than anything because of what you made me feel. I didn’t want love. I had enough problems." she tugged on Obsidian Flash, as if in emphasis. "You chained me, took away what control I had left. I was nothing because of you. You made me weak. But I loved you, and that was enough. Not anymore." she was gasping for breath, but continued still.

"You left, and you didn’t even want to remember me; I know about how you tried to get those memories erased. I thought you couldn’t bring me any lower, making me love you. But I was wrong."

Allecto let go of the sword and placed a bloody hand on Hollow’s cheek; he shied from the touch, but she quickly swiped her fingers along his skin, leaving three silver-stained gashes.

She let herself fall as her vision darkened, sliding off the blade as the Heartless-eyed boy pulled it from her, slipping down to the ground as well. He caught her before she could hit the ground, small droplets of pewter occasionally falling from his own wounds onto hers.

"I knew you were a hopeless romantic all along, Hollow," she said, as even his touch faded away, leaving her with nothing but the agony of knowing that she would never be free.

Hollow stood alone on the beach once more, healed due to the attentions of the many Heartless he could no longer keep away after he had sent the unconscious Allecto back. He was staring at the ocean again, taking in each taunt.

He had known she had always hated him; hadn’t he told her, once? But he had also said that she knew she loved him too. Then, they had traded insults with each other; tonight, they had dealt each other physical blows.

He had thought he understood her, and he did. But he never expected all that rage she withheld would be enough to try and kill him, without remorse. So blinded by fury ... as she had once been blinded by love.

She hated not being able to see,
he mused suddenly, stepping into the outskirts of the water.

The memories he could not get rid of pestered him, beating about his heart like nighttime moths to a lone light.

He was empty, his emotions long ago given to the passionate waves before him. Otherwise, he might be able to regret.

But Hollow left that up to the ocean, to tell him everything he was missing. Kingdom Hearts was a respite. He couldn't be Allecto's anymore.

The hopeless romantic part was originally mine. I KNOW J00 STOLE IT AFTER I SAID IT IN THAT CHAT, PICKLE! =O Well, it's true. Looks better on hers anyway. I really hate how this ended. And how it was in the middle ... oh well.

Last edited:

darkisaac

Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
OMG

arg!

<.< >.>

I can't decide which one I like better yours, or Pickle's....

But this was definately awesome, you used great description/metaphors which puts all my work to shame...

Krazy

Jabberwocky
o:

Does this mean Hollow's free? :D

-ahem-

I can't decide, either! ;~; They both have their pros and cons ... and ... violence.... And Hollow. ;~;~;~;

It was awesome, Amme. AND LET'S JUST SAY IT'S A TIE. <.<;

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Shut teh feff up, Silver. =D

=o

GoH, I like yours, but we both kinda OoC'd each other's characters. Hollow's a little more shoutyish than usual (makes that a word), and a little less analytical, but under the circumstances, it's foine.

=O

J00 win, no? =D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back