• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PS2 disks

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshcake

I don't know if this is in the right section, and it has probably been asked many times before, but what is the difference between a blue PS2 disk, and a standard silver/reflective one? I would be glad of someone's help! :D

P

Prince_of_Light

it probably has to do with the way it's read into the machine. just a guess, don't quote me on it.

Stavvy

Legendary Member
Awards
I think it holds more data.....like the difference between a music cd and a dvd or a music cd and a record....

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
Actually all the above are wrong.

There is no difference between the two discs. The ONLY difference is that some are blue-bottomed and others aren't.

They are ALL DVD-ROM discs. It doesn't matter.

There is however, an old problem with the Blue discs..
The normal silver disc (A regular DVD-ROM... like a movie DVD) doesn't have the problem.

Other than that, there is no difference.

~~Azurith

Koji

Still Alive
Awards
I gotta agree with Azurith on this. There is hardly any difference. It's just that older games with the blue surface were scratched easier and were really difficult to repair because it's tint would have to be redone over the scratch.

The reason why they would give it that blue-purple surface is probably to make it unique. It obviously failed so now they added the PlayStation logo on a silver surface.

HeartlessDragon

The Blue dye surface performs just the same as the silver disk.
The only difference is the color of the dye.
There is no problem with that except, that, the difference of the color dye is
just the difference between lasers. The laser affects how the CD dye is read.

However, if you asked for the difference between a gold and a silver, the difference is greater. Silver is more reflective than gold, but silver is more subject to being corroded by the dye and (over time) other environmental factors. On the other hand, silver is much less expensive and there are ways of addressing the corrosion issue. Gold does not corrode easier, and lasts longer, but gold seems to be more expensive than silver.
There are groups of dye: Silver/blue silver/blue and gold/green.

Following: you don't have to read this, but its about the three common dyes that are in use today.

[There are three common dyes in use today:

"Cyanine," the blue-green dye used in many less-expensive CD-Rs, has a lifespan of between 10 and 75 years, which puts it at the bottom of the dye-lifetime scale. In a word, if you use these CD-Rs, be "conservative" in how long you expect it to last.

"Phthalocyanine," on the other hand, is the longest-lasting dye, producing golden-colored CD-R disks which have, "....a reputed shelf life of something like 100 years."

Finally, with dye lifetimes falling between those two, we first find the greenish-gold "fromazan" that produces CD-Rs with a somewhat better lifetime than cyanine. We also find the dark blue "metallized AZO" CD-Rs, which exhibit a lifetime more towards the higher end of the scale.

As we can see, the type of CD-R we buy can significantly affect the longevity of our data --- but you may have noticed that few CD-R packages disclose their chemistry! ]

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
Silver= DVD, it holds more and costs less to print because they arent colored
Blue= CD, holds less, colored.

If you have a swap magic you'd know.

The Blue dye surface performs just the same as the silver disk.
The only difference is the color of the dye.
There is no problem with that except, that, the difference of the color dye is
just the difference between lasers. The laser affects how the CD dye is read.

However, if you asked for the difference between a gold and a silver, the difference is greater. Silver is more reflective than gold, but silver is more subject to being corroded by the dye and (over time) other environmental factors. On the other hand, silver is much less expensive and there are ways of addressing the corrosion issue. Gold does not corrode easier, and lasts longer, but gold seems to be more expensive than silver.
There are groups of dye: Silver/blue silver/blue and gold/green.

Following: you don't have to read this, but its about the three common dyes that are in use today.

[There are three common dyes in use today:

"Cyanine," the blue-green dye used in many less-expensive CD-Rs, has a lifespan of between 10 and 75 years, which puts it at the bottom of the dye-lifetime scale. In a word, if you use these CD-Rs, be "conservative" in how long you expect it to last.

"Phthalocyanine," on the other hand, is the longest-lasting dye, producing golden-colored CD-R disks which have, "....a reputed shelf life of something like 100 years."

Finally, with dye lifetimes falling between those two, we first find the greenish-gold "fromazan" that produces CD-Rs with a somewhat better lifetime than cyanine. We also find the dark blue "metallized AZO" CD-Rs, which exhibit a lifetime more towards the higher end of the scale.

As we can see, the type of CD-R we buy can significantly affect the longevity of our data --- but you may have noticed that few CD-R packages disclose their chemistry! ]

No.

HeartlessDragon

RIDETHEPIG said:
Silver= DVD, it holds more and costs less to print because they arent colored
Blue= CD, holds less, colored.

If you have a swap magic you'd know.

No.

Wrong, a blue CD can hold more than a silver one.
It depends on how it is made.

RTP49

i’m gay
Awards
CD < DVD

It also states in the instruction manual that silver discs are DVDs... they wouldn't contradict and dye the DVDs blue.

Azurith

Awards
Angels of darkness tread softly in the light.
|shady| said:
Wrong. DVD's can hold much more than a CD.

Silver = DVD
Blue = CD-r

He probably meant the 'blue-ray' discs.. which IS true.

Blueray= 20+ Gb (Singlelayered...)
DVD= 4.7Gb or 9.2Gb (Duallayered)

The reason a 'blueray' disc holds more has to do with the wavelenght of the laser used to 'burn' the disc in the first place. Current 'CDRW/DVDRW' lasers are red lasers. (Hence, audio cds are sometimes refered to as: Red Book Audio..) The frequency of the red laser is alot lower than that of the blue laser.. That makes the blue laser have a smaller 'burn' spot on the disc. A smaller burn spot means that more burns can be added to the disc, which intern means alot more data.

The PS3 is 'supposed' to be shipped with BlueRay technology.. that is, the ability to READ the new disc format..
(Think of the possibilities for games, when you have 4-5x more storage than the current DVD format!!!)

~~Azurith

E

Eclipse

gosh people can argue over the silliest things on the internet :p

just because it's blue doesn't make it BluRay lol. the ps3 will use bluray, not the ps2

From what i know, now most ps2 games are clear-disced, because the blue ones caused problems. that's all i know....:p

digital gopher

lock the gates
Awards
Website
www.ea.com
azurith said:
The PS3 is 'supposed' to be shipped with BlueRay technology.. that is, the ability to READ the new disc format..
First thing. It's Blu-ray ( BD-r Blu-ray Disc recordable)
Second, the big selling point for Sony and the PS3 is that it will have Blu-ray technology. Sony wants Blu-ray to take over for DVD's. So, all PS3 game discs will in fact be on Blu-ray discs.

On a side note,
Microsoft wants their HD-DVD to take over for DVD's so, that's why if you look at an Xbox360 game it has the HD-DVD logo on it.
Both Blu-ray players and HD-DVD players are not even out for sale to the public yet. But when they do, they are to be priced at about $1000.00 for Toshiba's first HD-DVD player (shipping next week or so). Sony / JVC's first generation of Blu-ray players will be about the same price and will be shipping in a few months.

azurith said:
Think of the possibilities for games, when you have 4-5x more storage than the current DVD format!!!)
It won't change a bit. In fact, most games for the PS2 and Xbox aren't even using half of the storage of a normal DVD disc. I popped in my SOCOM 3 disc and it was only about 3.4gb while a DVD disc can hold about 8 gb. There is another game, .. I can't quite remember it. But it was a HUGE game. Lots of cutscenes, hours upon hours of gameplay and extremely large worlds and it only had about 700MB on the disc.
Unfortunatly game length won't change in the future of gaming. But Sony's great idea for the PS3 games, is that there will be no more PAL or NTSC style discs. Since Blu-ray can hold enough for all languages, all cutscenes etc they will throw it all on to one disc !

Sorry.. I got a little off topic there.
But yea... lol

HeartlessDragon

http://www.us.playstation.com/Pressreleases.aspx?id=279
That tells you about the blu-ray technology within a PS3.

Anyways, the problem within the dye of the disk could have been a low powered laser, which in fact, does apply to the quality of how it is read. But it does not affect the performance of the disk in any way, however, it does apply to; how long it will last under a low-powered laser. When there is an old system, its laser must have been used alot, which, does apply to the dye, and materials of disk. A silver disk is a little more reflective than the blue one, so, it would be better if, you had an old system with a low powered laser, and a silver disk, rather than a blue one.
The blue one won't last as long as a silver one into a low-powered laser.
So, if you are using a low-powered laser, it is most probable that the blue disk that is bieng used won't last long before its unreadable.
And plus, the silver is less expensive than a blue one, but its sound quality might sound a little different, just as the color of the dye changes the quality of things when read into the laser (You might actually hear it yourself if you had a dark-red disk),but the silver is more corrosive under environmental changes, especially under the sun, or in high temperatures. The blue one will last a little longer, except for scratches. To avoid this, well, take care of it.

This should conclude my perspective, for now.

Last edited:
T

The Marauder

Ok, it has already been clearly established that DVDs are used in the production of the majority of PS2 games nowadays. Most are dual-layered. This is all true.

Now we just need to settle this Blu-Ray quarrel.
Blu-Ray discs work on exactly the same principles as a normal CD, DVD, or even good old laser-discs (the big 14-inch old double-sided pre-DVDs. I have one of these players.) Essentially, the difference is that the Blu-Ray discs are burned using a blue laser rather than a red one. I could educate you for an hour on the following fact, but I will simply state it for you: Blue lasers are much thinner (smaller) than red lasers with regard to the amount of space a single pass takes up on a disc. Think of it this way, since the wavelength of the blue light is so much smaller, several passes can be made with a blue laser where one red laser would have scorched all these passes in a single turn. If you wish to be further educated on the wavelengths of light, you can post a thread of PM me about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back