• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

PS2 Easy Modding Guide

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeffphyr

Step Six - Tricking your PS2
This step is where you finally use your copy of Swap Magic. If you are going to play KH2FM+ then use your DVD Loader version of Swap Magic. Some older games have a CD format but its fairly rare. Game Discs usually say what type of format they are so you shouldnt have a problem with that. Go ahead and turn your PS2 on, open your Disc Drive, and insert you copy of Swap Magic(If you are using codebreaker make sure to put that in first, then follow instructions accordingly).

Once you see the title ´Swap Magic´ come on screen have your Imported or Backed-Up game ready. The screen will then quickly change to this

After that appears on your screen unplug any controllers and memory cards you might have in your PS2. Then proceed to peel off the tape pieces on the left and back side of your PS2. Peel only enough so that the top of the PS2 becomes loose and removable. Like so

After you have peeled the tape simply repeat Step Three. BUT, this time around you will have the tape on the front of your PS2 making it a sort of ´Flip Top´. After that repeat Step Four and lift off the the Drive Cover, while once again being VERY CAREFUL with the silver wire. Now put the Drive Cover aside and have your imported/backed-up disc in your hand. Now simply replace your copy of Swap Magic with your game, put the Drive Cover back in its place, cover up your PS2, and re-insert your controllers/memory cards.

Now all you have to do is press ´X´ on your controller to do a normal boot(I edited the X in to make it more clear). I´m not sure what the special boot is for but it says so in the instructions that come with Swap Magic

And there you have it! You have succesfully modded your PS2!! Now you can play any import/back-up games you want :).

Hope the guide was useful and I hope it worked. Thanks for reading and have a great time playing your game!!

Zeff

Last edited:

Zeffphyr

Step Four - Unscrewing the Drive Cover

Once you have removed your PS2´s cover you will see the Disc Drive as well as a silver material(not sure what that is :p). The Disc Drive´s Cover has 5 screws holding it in place, 3 on the left and 2 on the right, all marked by white arrows. Go ahead and unscrew all of them. After this the Disc Drive´s Cover will be loose and removable(this plays a part later in the guide). Once you have removed the screws and the cover simply place the cover back on the Disc Drive.

Step Five - Placing the Electrical Tape

After you have put the Disc Drive Cover back in its place, put the PS2´s top back on, make sure to still be careful with the silver wire, I cannot stress that enough. After you have put the PS2´s cover back in its place have your Electrical Tape at the ready. The first piece of tape will be fairly long compared to the next two, so make it about as long as the air vent under the white lines.

The next two pieces have an extra instruction. Make sure to curl the end of the tape and tape it to itself before you cut them since these two pieces will be partially removed later in the guide(the curl makes it MUCH easier to peel off). The second piece of tape will be placed on the left side of your PS2 just before the two rubber stoppers and will be the length of the space between them.

The third and final piece of tape will go at the back of your PS2 on the opposite side of the Warranty Sticker(dont forget to curl it). Place it on the small indent as shown. The tape should reach to about the third ´bump´ in the system(also designated by arrow).

Last edited:

Zeffphyr

ZEFFPHYR´S EASY MODDING GUIDE

Hey everybody!! I figured that since I´ve noticed a decent number of new people wanting to buy KH2FM+ and/or KHFM that I´d make everbody an easy PS2 modding guide. This method seems a lot easier to me than buying a Japanese PS2 just to play a couple Japanese games (This is how I modded my PS2). In total the cost of the materials for this process is about $25. Much less than buying a new PS2. This is also much safer than using Slide Tools. Anyone who has used my guide and has any complaints or suggestions can send them to me in a PM. I am not responsible for any damage caused to your PS2 if you decide to use this Modding method, I have put plenty of warnings for anything you need to be careful with.

This is most probably posted in the wrong section but I figured since most people on this forum would mod their PS2 to play KH2FM+ or KHFM I would post it in the KH2 section. Any mod can go ahead and move it and/or make any fixes necessary to the format. Sorry for the mistake(s).

List of supplies
- 3 screwdrivers (one +, one -, one *)
- Black Electrical Tape (more aesthetically pleasing)
- Scissors (if needed for the tape)
- A Plastic Bag (for putting all the screws)
- Swap Magic
- Knife (optional)

Here´s a link to buy Swap Magic vpgames: Buy Video Games, Systems, Accessories, and Repair Parts for Nintendo Wii, DS, Xbox 360, PS3, PS2, PSP, Gamecube, GBA, and more. The one with the slide tool is the one you should buy(although you wont be using it) The blue version is the PAL version. Also available on eBay

Before we start I would like to apologize for the sheer size of the images posted. I dont know what happened but I dont know how to fix it. That´s why I put all the pictures in thumbnails. I´m pretty sure your computer would freeze if I put the actual pictures <:/

Steps One-Three will be in the third post, Four-Five in the second, and Six in the first

I recommend that after every step you flip your PS2 back to a frontal view to make sure everything is still right.
Alright then, lets get started.

Step One - Removing the screw covers

Under your PS2 you will see 7 small squares designated with arrows (I´ll be using these throughout the guide) . These are screw covers. Go ahead and remove the squares with either your ´- screwdriver´ or your knife, then unscrew each screw under the covers. I dont remember exactly what type of screws they are, thats why I´ve instructed to get all three types of screwdrivers. EDIT: There is most probably an eighth screw cover under the black tape on the top left corner of the pic, sorry I missed that one.

Step Two - Break the warranty sticker

Yes I know that you may be worried about your warranty but unless you´ve gotten your PS2 in the past year (highly doubt that) then your warranty should have run out anyway. Cut the sticker along the white lines using either your ´- screwdriver´ or your knife.

Step Three - Lift off your PS2´s cover

This step is very simple, but you must be very careful. Just place one hand on each side of your PS2 and lift off the top SLOWLY. There is a wide silver wire connected to the consoles top near the Reset and Eject buttons that if damaged will render the former buttons USELESS. So make sure to be careful. I believe that the silver wire is previously attached to something so be careful when moving it. If it isnt attached to anything that just makes your job easier :).

Last edited:

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
breaking the warranty on your PS2 so you can play Japanese games since PS2 games are region-coded.

wouldn't this guide only work for the original PS2's or would it be the same for the slim ones?

note: this should prolly be in the general video game section too.

Shadowrelm 150

In a world of shadows... AKA Surrey, England
So... Youve done a 'flip top cover' effect with out a flip top cover o_O...? Wouldve it been easier to buy a normal flip top cover? Sure for some it might save some money but its bascially the same thing with a filp top cover without the need to repeat some steps in your guide. =/. Well if it works it works I suppose >.>''.

Zeffphyr

well thats cool and all but is there a reason the steps are out of order? :/

Yeah, sorry, I noticed that. I edited them back into order :)

Shadowrelm 150 said:
So... Youve done a 'flip top cover' effect with out a flip top cover o_O...? Wouldve it been easier to buy a normal flip top cover? Sure for some it might save some money but its bascially the same thing with a filp top cover without the need to repeat some steps in your guide. =/. Well if it works it works I suppose >.>''.

Yeah its basically the same thing, but with a genuine flip top cover you have to make cuts in the PS2 itself which also can be VERY harmful to the system if you screw up.
Which is much easier to do when you have a saw :p.

Last edited:

Zeffphyr

so why don't you edit your posts and put them in order???

it's not that hard lol. this'll never get stickied if its out of order.

Thats the thing though. It technically IS in order. Wouldnt it be cumbersome to go to the first post, scroll down, then scroll up to the second post, scroll back down, then scroll BACK up to the third post, then scroll down again. :/

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
Thats the thing though. It technically IS in order. Wouldnt it be cumbersome to go to the first post, scroll down, then scroll up to the second post, scroll back down, then scroll BACK up to the third post, then scroll down again. :/

huh.... if i were using this i'd look at the first post, then second, then third. why would i stop to scroll down and up?

Zeffphyr

huh.... if i were using this i'd look at the first post, then second, then third. why would i stop to scroll down and up?

If you read it way you´re saying though, that´s exactly what you´d have to do. Go to the first and read down, then up to the second and read down, then the same with the third post. I wish a mod would post something definitive :/

wwinterj

Yeah its basically the same thing, but with a genuine flip top cover you have to make cuts in the PS2 itself which also can be VERY harmful to the system if you screw up.
Which is much easier to do when you have a saw :p.

If you have a slimline PS2 (like me) all you have to do is buy a fliptop with your swap magic, Unscrew the casing and replace the original cover with the fliptop one.No cuts in the console are needed at all and the one i have is genuine and very easy to use.

As for the fat PS2 you can get a slider that opens the disk tray and replace the disk that way.Point is the way you posted above is a hard way or doing it and a lot of messing around.I wouldn't bother and I would buy a fliptop (like i have) or get a slider.They don't cost much and you can buy them with the swap magic disks.The fliptop has never failed me and I import a lot although have not got around to importing KH FM,COM and KH 2 Fm+ just yet. :)

Pratiko

Awards
Well, in my cpuntry we don't do this. Instead, we give it a games store and ask for it to be unblocked, so you can save your own games and play them. This works inserting a chip that allows the ps2 to load any games from any zone (ntsc, pal and asian zone). So, I dloaded FM+ and put it in a DVD disc to play it. Works sweet, but it's like 40 or 50 dollars. Although the savings done on games are awesome. I've got like 20-30 games, all made by myself.

Zeffphyr

If you have a slimline PS2 (like me) all you have to do is buy a fliptop with your swap magic, Unscrew the casing and replace the original cover with the fliptop one.No cuts in the console are needed at all and the one i have is genuine and very easy to use.

As for the fat PS2 you can get a slider that opens the disk tray and replace the disk that way.Point is the way you posted above is a hard way or doing it and a lot of messing around.I wouldn't bother and I would buy a fliptop (like i have) or get a slider.They don't cost much and you can buy them with the swap magic disks.The fliptop has never failed me and I import a lot although have not got around to importing KH FM,COM and KH 2 Fm+ just yet. :)

The problem with slide tools though is that if you pull out the drive incorrectly it can get stuck and pretty much ruin your PS2. Of course if you have a slim PS2 then you shouldnt need this guide. And the process is actually very simple, theres just a lot of steps. So dont say its hard or complicated until you've done it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back