• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Revenant Nihilism

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Exvind

Somewhere on the planet Earth. Hope that helps.
((This is the first of a series of stories from the perspective of a character of mine, Alceste the Seeker. I'll be doing it in periodic chapters, so, lemme know what you think!))

I met a man once upon a time. He, like so many others I've encountered during my wanderings throughout the years and worlds, was unique in a bizarre way. He dressed in a black hooded coat at all times, and insisted that he had no heart. Yet, every time I encountered him, it was inside a Cathedral, or other place of worship. Now, I, being an inquisitive young lad at the time, had to wonder how a creature without a heart held certain places in this sort of regard. It was quite the conundrum when I first met the black-coated man, who referred to himself as Nobody. I wouldn't know till later that he was a Nobody. One of several.

His name, or what he claimed his name to be after enough prodding, was Ixraelz. I noted how bizarre this was during our first encounter. I had recently arrived to a world that seemed to be caught up in a nearly-constant storm, with rain pouring down in sheets and thunder like a constant rumble in the sky. I opted to seek shelter in a small church, and found Ixraelz kneeling at the altar at the far end. For a long moment, he either did not notice or acknowledge my presence, but eventually he stood, and faced me. Granted, with his hood and the weather, he seemed fairly intimidating. As such, I acted as I always do in that sort of situation.

I smiled, waved, and said hello.

I must have looked a sight, what with my robes being soaked and all tussled about, my glasses crooked on the bridge of my nose, and various bags hanging around me in quite a mess, but he said nothing. He simply sat in the front pew, facing the altar. True to my profession, I chose the next closest seat, and plopped down next to him, and attempted to exchange pleasantries. I introduced myself as Alceste, a Seeker of knowledge. He said nothing. I then started with questions about the world we were on, about the residents and if they had been noticed by Heartless yet. Still nothing. In those days, I was a bit of persistent bugger, so I finally started asking about his name, the nature of his coat, if he worked in the church, and so on and so forth.

After what was likely a good twenty minutes of my mouth running wild to express my curiosity, he stood, and in a flat tone told me his name, before summoning what looked like a portal of twisting shadows, walking through, and vanishing into thin air. At the time I simply thought it a bizarre sort of magic trick, but this was of course before I knew of safe travel through Corridors of Darkness. I still was rather fond of my Gummi Ship back then. In any case, I did not see the black-coated Ixraelz for perhaps two years. What happened between those meetings brought me some turmoil, quite a few laughs, and the odd scratch here and there, but those are stories for a different time. Where was I again? Oh yes, my second encounter with the Nobody.

During my little quest for knowledge, I found myself in a ruined city of a world whose name I've forgotten, but I know I have written down somewhere. I'd look it up if I wasn't sure I'd lose my train of thought. Speaking of which, sea-salt ice cream is perhaps some of the finest dessert foods I've encountered in all my travels! It is salty, but deliciously sweet at the same time! I've never tasted such a-- what’s that? The Nobody? Oh yes! Right, right, my mind is not what it once was. Anyway, the ruined city. The locals had said that a powerful Heartless had taken up residence in the ruins and was making the residents rather unnerved. Well, I happened to come at a right time. Who better than a Seeker to take care of a Heartless problem? Now that I think of it, maybe Ixraelz might not have brushed me off so easily our first meeting if he knew I was an actual Seeker, but I didn’t care for flashing my Keyblade around frequently, or for all that heavy armor...usually.

Anyway, I did indeed find the poor Heartless in the Cathedral, and after a long battle that ended up with me getting a very interestingly shaped scar on my inner thigh, dispatched the tormented creature. Well, out of the shadows appears the man in the black coat, and this time he spoke! It was in a dry, flat tone that he'd always use no matter where we met and no matter what the circumstance. They always say Nobodies don’t have emotions, but I think maybe trying to fully believe that may have been his coping mechanism...oh dear! I'm rambling again! Anyway, he spoke to me.

"You are the one from before...years before. You did not have the look of a Wielder then...yet you released such a potent heart..."

I haven't changed ALL that much, so I simply smiled, bowed my head, and attempted to be as modest as possible...before my ever-burning desire to learn kicked in and I begin pressing for answers. He never removed his hood, but I knew he was evaluating me, and had been since I'd fought the Heartless, and he would keep evaluating me perhaps until he had me figured out. Child, let me tell you, at my age, I STILL haven't figured myself out, so Ixraelz didn't have a snowball's chance! Anyway, maybe he acknowledged my authority as a Seeker, or maybe he was trying to goad me into killing more Heartless later on, but he answered a few of my questions.

He reaffirmed his name, and told me what he was. Mind you this was back in the day where our primary concern were the few pureblood Heartless and whenever the Unversed popped up, so Nobodies were fascinating and new. More rumor and myth than truth. But here he was, and as soon as he'd arrived, he left, having wet my appetite to know more. I can't say I hid that desire. Still don't. But he laid down the bread crumb trail, and the next few months became something of an odyssey...

...Child, go fetch your grandpapa's medicine will you?

Exvind

Somewhere on the planet Earth. Hope that helps.
Bitter stuff. Nasty. Absolutely nasty. Child, let me tell you this, being older is not all its cracked up to be. Sure, I've had a long, exciting, and fufilling life, but eventually you'll end up like your Grandpa, taking medicines, and needing a good fifteen mintues at the least in the restroom. Now then, with that pleasant thought, back to the story about the Nobody! Where was I...did I get to the part with the City? No? Earlier then. Lets see...Oh, yes, the second meeting! Right, right, well.

...............What the bloody hell DID I do right after that? No, no, it will come to me. Let me just start off on another topic, and with my mind the way it is, I'll probably wind up back on my main point probably by tangent. Don't give me that look. Now then, I bet you didn't expect your Grandpa was a Seeker back in my day eh? Well of course you didn't! If you really thought I've sat in this rocker with all these books all my life, I'd have to check you for stupidity!

Those were days when the Seekers were a real force to be reckoned with, when the Light was in the full swing of things, and not the symmetry we have going on right now. There were quite a number of us, all exploring the worlds to see what they were like, bring peace and whatnot. One nice happy community. Gummi market was also fantastic back then. Sure, I could have just used my Keyblade, but personally I like relaxing and laying back when traveling, dont you?

What do you mean, "I want to see it?" I'm retired, Child! Summoning Vertias is hardly a mean feat for me anymore! What're you trying to do, give me a heart attack at my age!?

(There is a pause, then his voice drops to a whisper)

Is your mother still there? Go peek.

Gone? Alrighty then, hehe. If she knew I was showing you, -she'd- be the one having a heart attack. But, I have to put on the responsible Grandpa act don't I? Hehe. Alright, lets see here......Ah! There we go! Definitely heavier than I remember...just look at it, Child. You can't really take it. A Keyblade is bound to its Master, and can only be taken by another Wielder, the original Master permitting. The Nobody learned that....eh...

THAT'S IT! I knew it would work!

That's what happened the next time I ran into Irxraelz! I'd been following his trail, reports of a man in a black coat in Temples and Churches and Cathedrals and the like, usually just before a Heartless attack! For a few weeks, I was acting as the man's cleanup crew. Nasty business, that. You'd be correct in guessing that I'm one more suited for comfort than combat. Hehe...I was good mind you, I dare say great, and I'm not tooting my own horn. But still, the more I fought, there always seemed to be a bigger Heartless. Really pretty annoying. But eventually, I found him.

This world was really, really truly odd. One solid half was ice, and the other was a desert. I dont know how it worked out that way, but along the median of the world was civilization, between the two sides, and it was in a temple there that I found Ixraelz again. Like before, it was just him and me, and he knew I was coming. In fact, he confessed he'd been watching me each time I fought, and in that truly creepy, dry voice of his said...lemme see if I can imitate it....

AHEM!

"You've been doing very well, Seeker. If I had a heart, I'm certain I would be pleased with your progress. Now, as one scholar to another, will you let me examine your weapon? I pose it as a question as a formality, but as you are worn from your battles, it would not be a good idea to deny my wish."

Creepy bastard, when he did that. Another thing about Nobodies, I think they feel pain and discomfort, but they dont care. They might react if you attack them, but I'm guessing it's just reflex. A throwback to their lives when they had hearts. I'm not just rambling this time, Child, this is important. You see, Ixraelz never removed his hood, and he was always in that heavy black cloak. -I- was uncomfortable in my robes, and would be moreso in my armor, so I'm not sure how he could just ignore the temperature. Burning and freezing.

But still, he had a point, so I went forward, and handed over Veritas.

Oh don't give me that look Child! Here, try and take it from me. Go on, I'm not going to hit you! Do you know what hell your mother would give me if I hurt my only grandchild with something I shouldn't even be summoning in the first place? Just go on, you'll see. Ah-ah! Be careful, its a bit large for you, child. Oh, all proud of yourself are you? Hehe...

Ta-da! Right back in my hands! Same thing happened to Ixraelz. He held Veritas for all of three seconds, before it popped back to me. If he could feel, I'm sure he would have been frustrated. Instead, he just made an odd little "hrmph" noise, and told me to keep fighting the Heartless, before vanishing through a Dark Corridor...eh..why are you looking like that?

.......Your mother is right behind me, isn't she? Hello darling! I was just show---OW~!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back