• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Study Time

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Khfan01

I'm in Junior now and I do work at school. I want to be better student than just being good. How much time should I study? You see I'm in major on Information Technology and I think I have not been lately studying on my notes. So I need some help. How much time should I study?

Pelafina

lately, lovely
Awards
Everyone learns differently, so there's no real answer to this question. Study until you're confident about the material, and especially until you can explain (explain, not just recite) it to somebody else. Generally, if you understand it well enough to do that, you understand it well enough for yourself.

Esso

Fire Breaker
Everyone learns differently, so there's no real answer to this question. Study until you're confident about the material, and especially until you can explain (explain, not just recite) it to somebody else. Generally, if you understand it well enough to do that, you understand it well enough for yourself.

What she said :lol:
If you understand a subject very well, you can teach it to someone else and you'll learn even more

krexia

Translator
Awards
Like Pelafina says, time taken is different for everyone. But there are things you can do to make sure you get the most out of whatever time you do spend studying.

One thing you really want to do is figure out how you learn best. Some people learn by reading, others by actively solving problems, etc. I'm a very visual learner, so I've always focussed my studying and exam revision around things like colour-coded notes, and making summary posters of different subjects. There are simple online tests that can help you assess how you work best:

LEARNING STYLES:Find out in 2 minutes

And yeah, explaining a subject to someone else is a fantastic way to make sure it's clear in your mind. Find a friend doing the subject you're studying, and take it in turns to teach each other sections of the course. Or try teaching something to your mum or dad, if they have time to listen and help you study.

Also, studying for long, uninterrupted periods isn't usually very productive. Generally people do far better studying for periods of up to an hour and separating them with 10-15 minute breaks.

αsiя

space coke
I'm in Junior now and I do work at school. I want to be better student than just being good. How much time should I study? You see I'm in major on Information Technology and I think I have not been lately studying on my notes. So I need some help. How much time should I study?

I study around 10 minutes a week
really im lazy as hell in school and for homework
but my teachers always tell me study atleast 3-4 hours a day

Sawah

unofficial HOTH
Awards
i only study in subjects where it's necessary, but i usually study around 30-40 minutes. what i do is study for about 10 minutes, do something else, then go back for 10 more minutes, etc.

if you're asking for ways to study, then here's what i do:

1. i record myself saying what i need to study, and listen to it and listen to it until it's drilled into my head.

2. the usual note-card trick.

3. make a beat out of what your studying. like say each word/problem with a beat, like a metronome. soon you'll get a hang of the beat and basically sing a song of what you learned.

4. pick out certain words or even letters/numbers that pop out of a sentence/equation/problem/etc. when you think of that word/letter/number, you'll remind yourself of the rest of what you learned.

that's all i got. hope it helps. <3

Khfan01

Like Pelafina says, time taken is different for everyone. But there are things you can do to make sure you get the most out of whatever time you do spend studying.

One thing you really want to do is figure out how you learn best. Some people learn by reading, others by actively solving problems, etc. I'm a very visual learner, so I've always focussed my studying and exam revision around things like colour-coded notes, and making summary posters of different subjects. There are simple online tests that can help you assess how you work best:

LEARNING STYLES:Find out in 2 minutes

And yeah, explaining a subject to someone else is a fantastic way to make sure it's clear in your mind. Find a friend doing the subject you're studying, and take it in turns to teach each other sections of the course. Or try teaching something to your mum or dad, if they have time to listen and help you study.

Also, studying for long, uninterrupted periods isn't usually very productive. Generally people do far better studying for periods of up to an hour and separating them with 10-15 minute breaks.

Sure you are saying that I should study at least one hour, but also cut some time with 10-15 min. break within that hour of studying until the hour is up. Right?

Teiku 5

Something About, Baby, You and I...
Website
www.facebook.com
you should figure out whatever amount of time you need to study in whatever conditions you need.

different people study differently. you should be able to try different ways to study until you figure it out. nobody can tell you how to study, only what works for them.

Noir

Bronze Member
Awards
Three hours a day.
No, joke. I'm doing that.

Malevolence

Raw Life
You should study the way you would want to, or create a way to study that would make you feel comfortable. Do what ever is best.

Takuya

freedom fighter, patriot
Awards
In my bedroom sitting on my bed. I may pick up a b

I prefer tests that have you actually doing various learning styles and then giving a comprehension test to see which style you do best with. Questions about yourself can end up with biased answers or a non-accurate rough analysis, especially when you're not even sure how you learn or which way you learn best. The former more than likely forces you to give the answer to these without you being conscious of it. Other than that, you have to pay to get your test result? D:

OT: The amount of time you should study varies by how you study - some people study better than others and understand faster, deeper, with more meaning - and by the subject being studied, so I think you should worry more* about the way you study rather than the time you put into doing it (*note: -more than-; not to mean you should not worry about time at all), which is why a few posters have been giving studying tools/methods above.

But you should definitely put at least one hour of study time per week for each credit your classes give you <.<

Last edited:

krexia

Translator
Awards
Sure you are saying that I should study at least one hour, but also cut some time with 10-15 min. break within that hour of studying until the hour is up. Right?
I'm saying don't study uninterrupted for hours at a time. If you're doing a lot of studying, study for up to an hour, then take a 10-15 minute break, then study for another hour, then take another break, etc.

I prefer tests that have you actually doing various learning styles and then giving a comprehension test to see which style you do best with.
Me too. Do you know of any like that online?

Also, love the examples of different learning styles in this thread:

i record myself saying what i need to study, and listen to it and listen to it until it's drilled into my head.
I go into Photoshop and draw and color everything I read to get a visual representation of what I've just read.

Like I said, it really is worth figuring out how you personally learn best!

Kazuma

For the Real not the Fake
Website
kazu52.deviantart.com
Hmm I have to say it depends on the class. Study more for core classes than shit electives like Orientation( God I hate that class but at least the teacher hot). But for Bio I read over my notes up to the chapter I test on everyday, then read(speed read once then read it out loud once) and watch videos on the subject from time to time. I study over previous marital once every three weeks so not to forget it. Note cards are shit to me because your not learning it truly, your just memorizing it to get it over with.

Banishing Blade

Iron Tomato
Awards
If you find yourself having a hard time focusing on studying (legitimately, not just being lazy) then I'd suggest getting together with a small group of friends and studying together. I can't study alone, I get sidetracked easily (not just with the internet, but I'll even start reading different parts of my text that weren't covered, etc), so I get together with some friends and we go through the material together. If there's something you don't understand, hopefully somebody else will be able to explain it to you. You'll know you understand a concept when you can explain it clearly to somebody else.

Dogenzaka

PLATINUM USERNAME WINS
Awards
Killing is easy once you forget the taste of sugar
If you find yourself having a hard time focusing on studying (legitimately, not just being lazy) then I'd suggest getting together with a small group of friends and studying together. I can't study alone, I get sidetracked easily (not just with the internet, but I'll even start reading different parts of my text that weren't covered, etc), so I get together with some friends and we go through the material together. If there's something you don't understand, hopefully somebody else will be able to explain it to you. You'll know you understand a concept when you can explain it clearly to somebody else.

Yeah this helps some people. Not me, sadly. I'm like you where I get sidetracked easily, but a study group just gets me even more sidetracked with personal laughs and conversations and them keeping off from focusing xD.

Siren

brutally homeless and fluffy
Awards
In all honesty, it depends on who you are as a person. I'm one of those people that has been blessed with, and cursed by, an incredibly accurate-almost photographic-memory, as well as having an excellent auditory memory. What does that mean? It means that a large majority of the time, studying actually hurts my test scores; I remember what I studied, and then the other bits and pieces are harder to recall. That and it takes away my delightful epiphanies, but whatever.

Unfortunately, that also means that I'm not good at studying (why would I develop a skill I haven't needed...yet?). This is bad because when the time comes that I can't remember something or a topic becomes too complex, I'll be far behind my peers in terms of ability (and grades, which are, sadly, important).

Regardless, assuming that you AREN'T like me (awww, we're all snowflakes!) I recommend something that helps most people; doodle while you are taking notes, and make sure that if you have a question, you ask it. I don't care if you ask the teacher, an adult, or a friend; make sure that you receive an answer to that question, and DO NOT write it down somewhere far away from the actual topic. Keep everything neat and orderly, and it doesn't hurt to re-write notes in a more concise, neat manner.

stephaknee

Hakuna Matata
Repetition works best regardless of the type of learner you are. Writing things down seems to work for me; before my tests, I write down definitions and concepts multiple times and then an outline of everything I've learned (without looking at books or note for reference). Find what makes things "stick" and just do it over and over until you're confident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back