• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Bible: What Makes It Unique?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
This thread is especially for those who have read the Bible or those who believe in the Bible but as always, all are welcome to participate in the discussion.

The Bible, the Hebrew and Christian Greek Scriptures. Debates spanning various topics have been going on for centuries over this compilation of books. Yet, in whole or in part, it is the most widely published book in the world.

This thread (like other threads I have created) is based on an article to be published in June of 2012 with the same title as the thread, The Bible: What Makes It Unique?.

This article is a very brief discussion of the topic as we know thousands of pages could be written in debate about it. The article (which can be found online in PDF form if you would like to check it out) opens with the following words:

“All Scripture is inspired of God and beneficial . . . , that the man of God
may be fully competent, completely equipped for every good work.”
—2 TIMOTHY 3:16, 17.

SOME people hesitate to make such an unqualified statement about the Bible. What about you? Which of the following best describes how you viewthe Bible?
  • A work of fine literature
  • One of several equally acceptable sacred texts
  • A book of legends with underlying moral lessons
  • TheWord of God
A related question is, Does it matter what you believe? Consider what the Bible says about itself: “All the things that were written aforetime were written for our instruction, that through our endurance and through the comfort from the Scriptures we might have hope.” (Romans 15:4) The Bible thus claims that it is designed to instruct and comfort us and togive us hope.

However, if the Bible were merely a work of literature or just one of many holy books, would you trust it to instruct you and guide your family, especially if its message differed from what you thought to be right? If the Bible were a collection of myths, would you derive comfort and hope from its promises?

On the other hand, millions who have studied the Bible are convinced that it is the unique Word of God. Why? What distinguishes the Bible from all other books?

The continues to touch on the following subjects under the same topic:

• Prophecy
  • History
  • Science
  • Harmony
  • Practicality

So, what do you think? What do you think about the Bible, and what do you feel sets it apart from other books if you think it is unique at all?

Orion

Prepared To Die
Awards
I think the biggest factor to its spread was the adoption of Christian beliefs over Jewish ones when it came to non-religious people. Jewish beliefs say non-Jews can attain paradise (or the vague Jewish equivalent), so long as they act well with goodness in their heart. It was a Christian change to these beliefs that said only the Christians will be saved, and thus early Christians had a moral impetus to convert as many people as possible, hence its rapid spread. Another contributing factor was that Christianity appealed very strongly to the poor, with things like the meek inheriting the earth, that it was easier for a camel to squeeze through a needle's eye than a rich person, and so on.

I don't think it's a matter of the Bible being particularly unique that caused it to spread, it was Christianity uniqueness (in regards to the poor and salvation) that saw it spread so much. I don't entirely 'trust' the Christian Bible, because there's extensive evidence of its being edited, as well as things like the excluded gospels that we rarely hear about. For the most part, however, I take it as historical allegory (or in some areas an exaggeration or mis-attribution of actual events) with underlying moral lessons.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
ooh, interesting thread topic. i think i would see the bible as the second option, one of several equally acceptable sacred texts.

However, if the Bible were merely a work of literature or just one of many holy books, would you trust it to instruct you and guide your family, especially if its message differed from what you thought to be right? If the Bible were a collection of myths, would you derive comfort and hope from its promises?

but this is just... uh WHAT. this implies works of literature and other holy books may not be able to instruct and guide you? that's a totally dumb claim. literature's CORE PURPOSE is guidance and comfort of the human spirit, and at the heart of every holy book is really the same message; to love god, whoever he may be, and express that love through respect for the common people.

i love the bible and all the facets of how it's written but i don't think that means i have to condemn every other similar text. i don't think its much different from any other book in how it influences us and frankly to say christianity is completely unique and unchanged by other cultures is just a painfully uninformed thing to say.

to get to the specifics here would be hard unless you've really studied this topic; the cultures involved, their traditions, the worldview of the time and each sacred text written, which may be beyond khi's grasp and I think is wishful thinking.

Cosmic+Amarna

Phantom Gigaplex
^yeah, pretty much . I don't think that it is beyond KHI grasp to have knowledge pertaining to the "cultures involved, their traditions, the worldview of the time and each sacred text written

Nelo Angelo

Enigma of Extreme
Awards
I definitely do think it is a unique book. A collection of many different books some of which are authored we are told by historians, Prophets, and some unknown altogether. Of the four mentioned points in the article in what it best describes, all four are applicable. This is just not my opinion however I should add, as Biblical scholars have said this (Read the RSV Bible preface as the scholars of this bible did extensive study to omit chapters and verses which they say were fabrication). So hopefully no one is offended by this =/
Some books within are fine literature with some unknown authors that have great stories. Some of it are acceptable sacred texts as when cross referenced with other sacred texts, that claim to be sared texts, you can see similarities and fulfliments of prophecies. Some are works of legend such as chapters in Ezekial and others, as they describe mythology and events that couldn't have happened, but can be said to to teach some moral values and important lessons. And some I do believe are the Word of God, such as the red letters found in the Red Letter bible that are claimed to be Jesus' (pbuh)words {less than 10% of the whole bible however, but its there}. Also, (I really mean no offense, although I found it offensive when reading), it contains chapters of filth that do no give any reasons to why they are there which should NOT be in a book that is regarded as holy scripture. Although it is the most widely published book in the world, with the most variant versions of it in the world, however it is not the most read book in the world. But I do believe it should be by those who are seeking knowledge on what is the true message of God. It does teach a lot. It did for me as it confirmed to me the path which I am on. So yeah, I do think its a unique book, that I do respect.

Last edited:

Forever Atlas

The World Rests On Me
Awards
ooh, interesting thread topic. i think i would see the bible as the second option, one of several equally acceptable sacred texts.

but this is just... uh WHAT. this implies works of literature and other holy books may not be able to instruct and guide you? that's a totally dumb claim. literature's CORE PURPOSE is guidance and comfort of the human spirit, and at the heart of every holy book is really the same message; to love god, whoever he may be, and express that love through respect for the common people.

I think the point of that statement, as the full article continues to discuss, is that there are people who feel that way. There are people who view the Bible as just another "holy" book in the list of thousands of holy books around the world. It's not necessarily discounting the credibility or effect of those books in people's lives. Still, a lot of people do not believe in the Bible, nor other holy books and view them all as just fairy tales to be brushed off as children's fables with no value to our modern lives.

Alaude Drenxta

\+The Devil's+/ .{Advocate}.
There is very little that is actually unique about the Bible. Almost the entire book is a collection of scattered and used belief structures and ideas from other religions and ideals. There are many who would say that the "word of god" has simply been interpreted differently as it passed through barriers such as language and culture, ultimately culminating in the differing ideas and interpretations of the Holy Word.

The Bible is simply another interpretation of what the original stories tell, culminating in the "penultimate collection of the true story of origin", as it were.

As for it's popularity, that part is simple. It was lifted up by the Romans who at one time controlled much of what has been the most powerful and influential areas in the world. As these nations took up their own ideas the Christian religion has changed quite irrevocably from it's own roots, and this is true of the Bible as well, having been shared across so many languages and cultures. Religion is dynamic, especially one that appeals to the common man and not just the great and powerful as it was in many of the older pagan religions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back