• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Golden City [a literate original]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
{ And this starts now. =3 }

Faynyx Sayre was currently up to her knees in tangled grass, a small bag hanging from her shoulder as she bent over, plucking a half-bursting seedpod from the stubborn plant. She was grateful for the cool hood pulled over her head as the afternoon sun beat relentlessly down on her. But she was grateful, in a way, for the sun as well: less dangerous things prowled during the light of day.

Fay straightened up, depositing the seedpod and peering into her bag, weighing it thoughfully. She was, as usual, out picking new ingrediants for her stock of potions during her break. Aníron, her painted mare, grazed in the shorter grass a few yards away, and Raouhmo, her small draconic companion, was busy zipping back and forth in the air, creating a cool breeze that set Fay's stray strands of hair tickling her cheek.

"Do you have everything? Can we go now? I'm hungry!" Rao chirped, fluttering about to land on her human friend's shoulder, wrapping her soft blue-green tail around her neck.

With another thoughtful glance, Faynyx pulled the drawstring bag shut and hoisted it back over her other shoulder, absently loosening Rao's death-grip.

"Yes, Raouhmo, we're going back inside now," she answered patiently, kicking away some of the merciless clumps of tall grass and trudging out over to Aníron. They were just a quarter of a mile away from the City, with it's levels easily in sight.

Raouhmo slipped from Fay's shoulder and into her lap, clinging to her coat as she alighted on the saddle, nudging Aníron into a run. The mare complied, her hooves sure and swift on the familiar ground.

Soon enough, Fay signaled Aníron to a stop in front of the West Gate, the Westspark watchtower looming high above it.

One of the guards relaxed in his usual stiff-backed position. "Nyxie?"

Fay rolled her eyes at the nickname and pushed her hood back. He called her that because Rao did. "Who else?"

"You know we have to be careful. Deryk here says yesterday he let a woman in who looked familiar, but then she turned into an eagle statue as soon as she reached the courtyard!"

"Good thing he let her in then, if she belonged there," Fay answered, smiling. She'd heard rumours of the shape-shifting statues of the First Level.

The guard shrugged, looking up at Raouhmo. "Hello there my little lady. You giving Nyxie any trouble today?"

"Trouble? Of course not!" she protested. Then, with amusing dignity, "I am most decidedly not troublesome, aren't I, Faynyx?"

Fay snorted. The guard waved them on. "Good thing you went out today. Tomorrow's the dark of the moon," he added somberly.

"I know," she answered grimly. Rao chirped. "I know that too! I can tell because everyone smells tense today." She sniffed for emphasis.

Waving, Fay directed Aníron ino a canter, and off they went, clattering up the winding cobblestone alleyway-ramps that led straight up to the higher Levels.

When they reached then end of the Eighteenth Level, Nyx dismounted, leading Aníron with the reins in hand while Rao fluttered up to her head, like a curious scale-and-suede hat.

"Nyxie, I'm hungry. Are we there yet? Can we go home right away?"

"We are, Rao. And I swear, you won't get any less hungry just because you keep asking!" she added, exasperated. Rao sighed and let her small snout rest in Nyx's hair, appearing contrite. Nyx laughed as she led Aníron into the Nineteenth Level stables, telling the Stablemaster to take care of her tomorrow.

Back in the comfort of her shop, Nyx began sorting out her new ingrediants, while Raouhmo sat on a shelf like an oddly-coloured cat, flicking out her long, thin tongue to a potted flowerplant, sucking its nectar.

"What are you making now, Nyxie?" she asked presently, licking the sticky liquid from her maw.

"Medicine for headaches. I need to crush these seeds and soak the powder in hot water," she explained, waving her hand over to the line of phials she was filling. Talsmera had taught her well.

And tomorrow is the day when another victim will suffer the same fate as she did, Fay thought sadly, then agrily.

Though many tried, there were no cures for the Plague.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
"Mime," Kellen cooed gently, shaking her daughter's shoulder. "Wake up, honey."

Mime scowled and rolled over, ecks-haling a hard breath, full of contempt but lacking a pitch. She sat up in bed, glaring at her mother. Kellen only laughed, pushing her daughter lightly back and saying, "The silent treatment again? You bothersome little imp."

Mime fumbled for a pad of paper and quill before scrawling, "Ooh, never heard THAT one before, mother. And your signing is impossible." Kellen's eyes brightened while she read the first sentence, but her eckspression turned sullen when she saw the second.

"Really?" She asked, trying to sign along with what she was saying. How she'd learned to speak, Mime never knew. She couldn't help being a little jealous, but who wouldn't be? "I've really been practicing..."

Her mother's voice was beautiful and silky. It sounded as if she had an accent, but only because every word was pronounced like one from a foreign language. Kellen may have perfected speech, but she couldn't hear the way her intonation could be considered incorrect.

Mime sighed and signed that it was okay. She was just being cruel. Then her mother smiled at her again, and the sun shining through the window washed them both in its brilliant glory. Her mother frowned at her choice in apperal, which is an annoying word to spell.

"You're wearing that?" Her mother asked, pitch not rising at the end of the question like a normal person's would. This lack-of-questions-sounding-like-questions was only confusing sometimes now, but Mime only realized that this statement was inquisitive half way into signing, "Well, yeah, apparently."

Her mother blinked.

Mime blinked.

Then, they smiled, and Kellen laughed. "This is an ecksellent conversation," she said.

Mime rolled her eyes and motioned for her mother to draw the curtains around her bed and then leave so that Mime could get dressed. In their 'house' on Level 17, there were only three rooms. The bedroom, the living room, and the kitchen, in which Kellen and Roger had set up a nice little corner for their only daughter. It was neckst to a window adorned with thick shades to block the light when Mime felt like it, which was almost never.

She drew these curtains around the window now as her mother left her. Dressing for the day - which consisted of throwing a light vest over the comfortable, light cloth shirt and pants over the shorts she was wearing. She burst out of the little fabric-tent and greeted the day.

"Mm, that's SO much better," her mother signed and said. She smiled brightly at her daughter, and Mime was amazed at the beauty of her maternal unit. THAT'S RIGHT. MATERNAL. UNIT.

"Oh, she looks fantastic," Roger said. "Did you just shower?"

Mime hadn't realized her hair was still wet.

"Wait, no, I just woke her," Kellen protested. Roger stared at Mime.

"And she always takes a shower just before bed... Mimey," he finished warningly.

"How long did you sleep for?" Her mother asked, shocked. Even standing still, trying to come off as appalled, she was dancing in her heart. The smile in her eyes never left, and the same could be said about Mime's father.

Mime shook her damp head and grabbed a slice of bread from the table. "Two hours," she signed. Then the girl kissed her parents on their foreheads and left, barefoot as usual.

"For the love of... Of whoever they pray to these days, WEAR SHOES!" Roger yelled, heaving a pair of boots at Mime, not realizing his own strength. The shoes clobbered his daughter in the back of her head, sending her to her knees.

"Mime! Mime, are you okay? Oh, right in the head, I AM a fool..." The girl heard footsteps and then felt her father's arm on her back. She chose to remain sprawled on the floor, trying to hide a smile. He shook lightly.

"Mime, SAY something," he begged desperately. Her father was such a spaz- Wait, did he just say SAY?

Mime sat up immediately and glared at her father. He grinned like a child at her and kissed her on the head before getting to his feet. Mime drew a quick doodle of her father with an eckstremely large bump on his head and shoved it into his hand. He stared at her as if she was crazy and shrugged, walking back into their "house." Mime took this chance to lob the shoes at him and hit him right where she'd drawn the bump.

It was a Shoe-Throwing kind of Family.

Now Mime was out of her house and could look around Level 17 properly. It was a huge rain forest with only two things to remind the traveller that they weren't really outside the city. The marble floor and the painted ceiling and walls. It was Mime's responsibility as a painter to help redecorate any floor that requested a change. This project had long since finished, and they were due to change in a few days' time anyway. She tried not to get attached to the dew that dripped down the leaves and wondered if there were ANY pros to a desert scape (the likely candidate for the neckst remodeling).

Mime hadn't noticed that she was still walking, nor could she recall stepping into the glass elevator she was currently standing in. Panic sharpened her senses, but she ignored the sense, peering around her, looking for anyone that could witness this.

Humans were not treated well on Level 17, and the elevator was strictly off-limits to Mime. It was actually quite ridiculous. She could use the elevator on almost every other floor, but she could neither embark nor disembark on the 17th level. Racism was truly idiotic.

This time, though, she saw no witnesses, so she punched the button that would close the door and swept her fingers over the number nineteen. The mechanism shook as it swept upwards two levels, and Mime was pleased to see the Apothecary right where she eckspected it to be.

Mime didn't usually come this early, and she wondered if whoever was working there knew who she was. She stepped in and looked about the place. Spying someone at the counter, she waved a hand before turning to look at a brilliantly coloured potion on display. Colours captivated Mime.

Katattack

Thank You Jonathan Larson
Recounting my exploits as an Anarchist. =D
Zaro quickly made his way up the levels of the golden city, furious with himself for waiting so long to start making deliveries. On a day like this, with the sun beating down, the fish would quickly go bad. He sped up dramatically, thankful for being on the last job of the day.

Levels flashed by in a blur as Zaro ran much faster than any human could. Still, he felt as though he was going very slowly, as he was used to swimming at much faster speeds.

Finally making it to the nineteenth level, he did not slow his pace as he dashed through crowds of other citizens, making his way to Three Steps Sideways, the local magic/apothecary type deal. He finally slowed down as he reached the door, pulling it open and stepping inside.

"Delivery, Nyx." Careful to make sure the small net he was carrying did not touch anything, Zaro decided to ring the bell on the desk annoyingly. It gave him such pleasure.

He spotted Rao, and put a small amphibian in front of her. It had short little legs and a long tail, and it scurried around the dragon. "Don't eat it." He said, not sure if Rao would find it intriguing or not.

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Flyhta blinked, her dark eyelashes fluttering delicately over the watery blue of her gaze. The sandstone ground of the second floor was warm with the kiss of morning sunshine. People were emerging all over, seeming to scuttle from the cracks in the golden walls. It made her nervous, timidly playing with her fingers to distract her mind. Some faces were familiar; others fresh; but either way, she was frightened.

Keeping her head down, pulling her white hood up, she hurried down to the bottom level, before wandering out onto the meadow. It swathed with long, green grass, shimmering as the pleasant breeze ran over it. The green was blotted with stains of sunny yellow; wildflowers swinging beneath the deep blue skies. Flyhta sighed deeply.

"Maybe I'll go back later," she said to herself, her voice unintentionally quiet, yet melodious to the ear. "It's too busy now." She looked ahead to the silent meadow, quiet other than the languid buzz of insects, and the flutter of tiny feathered wings. "Might as well... take a look."

Crisis Break

Hopeless Idealist
It was unpleasantly warm today, as the sun's bright rays paraded every corner of Ledonaath. In its golden hues, the city was bursting with yellow promise, shining brilliantly as if it were on fire. Standing on the Nineteeth Level, Lucent silenced himself from cursing. Even after years of living here, in this paradise of a city, he still found the sun's cruelty unbearable. In the distance, he could hear a faint melody strain the air, lingering amidst the sounds of gazelles grazing in their stables.

Lucent stood from the dusty boulder he was perched on, before patting off the dirt on his black jeans. He reached into his pocket, and from it emerged a cigarette, which he placed between his puckered up lips while he searched for his lighter. "Damn.. forgot it this morning," he whispered to himself coldly, as he put a finger to the edge of it. "Ignis," he softly spoke, before the cigarette began to catch fire, thin wisps of smoke escaping from the end.

Turning to face his surroundings, his dull grey eyes widened as a girl entered the level, followed by a miniscule dragon and an obedient horse. "There she is.." Lucent had been fascinated with her on his daily walks through each level. She seemed to have a peculiar aura, an uneasiness that Lucent tried to avoid. Yet, she was beautiful, hoisting a fading shade of red similar to the sunset's.

Lucent had to go. After watching her give her horse to the Stablemaster, he passed her quickly, before clumsily slamming against her shoulder. "Sorry," he quickly proclaimed, before starting a sprint toward the lower floors. He needed to see Lancier today.

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Faynyx straightened up from where she was restocking behind-the-counter shelves, turning about to see Zaro- there was no mistaking a Floundering.

She quickly swiped the silver bell away from the counter, shoving it underneath before he could ring it again. "I hate that thing. I'm thinking of getting rid of it." After scowling melodramatically at the said bell, she looked up brightly. "Good! You brought the spinetrouts?"

She had ordered five of the tricky fish, whose sharp spines secreted a venom that was actually an integral ingrediant in many antidotes. As they preferred the Windlewyth's deeper waters, Zaro was the only one she could get them from.

While Nyx brought out the proper amount of marks- twenty five -Raouhmo, meanwhile, had left her flowers to stare at the frog-thing, blinking her slanted, liquid blue eyes, currently streaked with the silver of curiousity.

With the draconic approximation of a shrug, she flapped her moth-like wings and fluttered over to the counter, her eyes now tinted orange.

"I wouldn't eat it!" she said, affronted. "I am an erb-ee-vor," she said smugly. She looked up at her human friend, whispering, "Did I say that right?"

Before either could respond, however, she was off again, buzzing over to the customer near the front of the store. She hovered in front of the girl, head cocked, eyes purple with friendliness and streaked once again with silver. "Hi! I'm Rao! Your voice smells rusty. When was the last time you used it?" she inhaled again, tilting her head the other way as she took in scents that only she could smell. "Oh! Have you ever used it?"

That was Raouhmo's strangest quirk. She had the ability of syneasthesia, which meant she could smell and taste things like emotions.

"Rao!" Fay said, shocked and embarassed. The dragonling had no tact. "Be polite!"

Rao started, zipping up to rest on a shelf above the brown-haired girl. "Sorry. Nyxie says, I think, that I have no common scents. But she's very wrong about that. How could she judge, anyway? She can't smell anything. Not even what time it is. I don't suppose you can either. But you smell nice though. Like paint. And shoes. But you're not wearing shoes!"

"Rao, get back over here and stop harassing customers!"

Who Am I?

Five hours ago…

Dwaine cursed ferociously. He blabbered words so unimaginably rude that the GoC members had to shut their ears to avoid damaging their brains. Dwaine was like this for one unmistakable reason: a city guard had just stepped on his foot, and noticing that guards wear mail boots at all times and Dwaine was barefooted at that certain point in time… it really must’ve hurt. The guard standing in front of him begged profusely for forgiveness - a new recruit most likely. “I’m really, really sorry, mister! I meant no harm!”

Dwaine whimpered. “Me… poor… toe.”

The surrounding guild members cringed with sympathy. Some of them even took a few cautionary steps backwards to protect their toes from the “mail-boot-invasion”.

Once the guard and the guild had parted their ways, Dwaine was easily buried by a horde of caring guild members who only wished to comfort him as to earn a promotion with the guild. Dwaine, after cursing to himself one last time, managed to drive the horde away, waving his arms about in agitation. “Righ’, tha’ lotta ya listen tah - ow! - me! This is tha’ last day of this level ‘ere, an’ we’re movin’ up to tha’ nine-an’-a-teen level. Now, ye better run along now an’ fetch up everythin’! Quick, before ah shoot ye all in tha’ foot!”

The guild scattered, tripping over loose cobblestones and colliding with unfortunate pedestrians.

Dwaine peeked over his shoulder momentarily, eyeing each and every pedestrian suspiciously. He was sure there was a spy here; two in fact - one for GoD and one for GoF. They were probably planning to follow Dwaine and his guild up to the nineteenth level - damn them all!

And so, they packed and left… and the people of the the fourteenth level joked about them as they left. “What a prick,” they said, “what an officious, little prick.”

~#~#~#~

Present…

“Right, boys an’ girls! We be ‘ere, an’ ah want ye to find tha’ nearest house up fer grabs, an’ take it before tha’ other guilds arrive! Go, go, go; move yer fat backsides!”

The guild scattered again.

Propping his crossbow against his right shoulder Dwaine trudged off in the opposite direction, whistling cheerfully to himself. His ragged, ginger beard flowed ungraciously. His dark, auburn eyes flashed over his surroundings, and eventually they fell upon a shop.

Without a moment’s hesitation, Dwaine’s rocky frame burst in through the front door. An immediate scowl appeared on his face as he surveyed the shop’s contents with his beady eyes. “Righ’, what do we ‘ave ‘ere? Maybe something’ fer me toe, an’ me headache! Hohoho! Perfect!”

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
OOC: Whoa, you guys mean business...o_O

Malaylee: With a final tug at the knotted sarong wrapped around her torso, Malaylee lifted the thin shall that was blocking the doorway away from her and proceeded out into the city streets. It was particularily busy, today...Mal sometimes wondered if she lived on the busiest level. If she did, it meant nothing but money for her, so she couldn't complain. Besides, the nights were quiet, and that was all that she needed.

Today, however, there was something else that she needed--a powder that she used to make her paint. Such a thing would be acquired on the nineteenth level in a small magic shop.

Laylee reached to her side to find a small, thin pouch fastened to her capris. She untied it and from it, pulled out a handful of shiny coins. She sealed her money pouch and then hailed a "cab." It was far too much work to head up all of those levels on foot. Maybe she'd walk on the way down, to save money.

A man of a race unknown to her pulled back on his reins and the horse-like creatures that pulled the cart came to a stop. Mal dropped the coins in his claw-like hands and hopped onto the back. She sat looking out of the back with her feet hanging off.

With several strange clopping sounds, the wheels began to move. The funny thing about these wheels was that they were not man, or by any other race, made. No, they fell out of a large tree, after much ripening. Indeed, they were the tree's seeds. Or, rather, pods. They were hard, round things with a small hole in the top of them were the stem had been. Inside, there was a sticky, oil-like substance that was perfect for keeping the axel inside.

Finally, after about half an hour, she arrived at her destination. The driver smiled at her and she turned to head into the shop. As she walked, her sandals made the faintest tapping sound. The thin laces were criss-crossed and tied, all up her shin. Mal's suntanned skin glistened in the sunlight and the freckles all over her body became even more evident. Some of them were hereditary, others were from years of being out in the sun.

Malaylee reached a hand up to scratch her feathered head as she entered the shop.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
Mime backed up immediately, almost into a shelf at Rao's presence. She stared shocked for a moment before smiling and reaching for a pad of paper and a piece of charcoal. She hastily sketched the words, "I've never used my voice. No, I can't smell the time either, but I'm not sure that's what she means. You're cute, and I never wear shoes."

She curiously asked through sign language if the apparently named "Nyx" could understand her. Then, she started a new sketch of the little draconic companion of the girl at the counter. She tried to capture the essence of the little thing's curious eyes and wondered if she'd done a good job. For fun, she added a little doodle in the corner of a smelly fish.

Then, she held the rough work of art up for this little friend to see. While holding it steady and looking around, she realized that the shop was getting quite crowded and wondered if she should leave. As long as the Fish Boy over there didn't have a problem with Humans, she should be alright. They tended to get a little overconfident, though, and found themselves superior to other races, so she had better be careful.

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
{ Zohman. Party at mah shop. And Pickle, you used X! :O Gasp! I feel special.

By the way, in case anyone was wondering, I think I got I might have gotten a little vague about the design of the city's levels. They're made like this: Click

After thinking it up, I said to myself, "...did I just create a yellow Minas Tirith?" And yes. Yes I did. Only way bigger.

-claps in excitement- Everything's going so well! }

Raouhmo read the note Mime had written her carefully, tilting her head once more before fluttering back over to Faynyx.

"She thinks I'm cute," the dragonling chirped happily, settling on another shelf behind the counter. Nyx looked up to see the girl signing something. She was able to make it out after a pause.

Years ago, Talsmera had taught Nyx some sign language when a traveling group of people whose religion forbade them to talk during the day came to the menagerie. Talsmera had picked up a good deal of sign, though Nyx only really knew enough to get by in the shop. Like the rest of the languages she knew, really.

"Can you understand me?"

Nyx signed the word for "Yes", and easy one. Then, slowly, "A little. Need help?" Rao watched this take place with interesting, flexing her minute claws as if she was tempted to try as well. But, apparently, she liked speaking better. Rao leapt lightly off the shelf and back into the air, this time zipping over to sit above the doorframe, the better to watch all the people come in. She squealed happily, looking at the sketch drawn of her.

snowdog

is a girl
Awards
n. 1. a place of settlement, activity, or residenc
Flyhta settled herself upon a large rock, beneath the welcome shade of a waving willow tree. The wind coaxed her white hair from her bony shoulders. She looked forward to the Golden City, her eyes glazing over as she went into a daze.

A gazelle passed by, springing across on strong legs, leaping over the waving green grasses and the yellowing wildflowers. Bringing her up out of her daydream, she watched it spring along, off into the distance.

"Odd," she thought, wrapping her arms around her legs. "No-one is with it, there's no herder around..."

As she stood up upon the rock, her clothing billowing in the gentle wind, she could see more of them, thundering towards her. She froze in terror as she saw the sandy collective blur, horns flailing and legs thrashing across the meadow.

"Stop," she breathed to herself, her entire body trembling as she watched them run; closer and closer, faster and faster.

At the final moment, they changed direction, scattering across the meadow before slowing down completely and stopping to graze. Breathing a long sigh, slumping back down to the rock, she hopped off. Scared as she was of these horned beasts, she knew that their herder had to be alerted.

She took timid steps, back towards the city.

"I hope the herder's around," she whispered to herself, wrapping her arms around her body. "They can't stay out here..."

Katattack

Thank You Jonathan Larson
Recounting my exploits as an Anarchist. =D
Zaro mourned for the loss of the bell, but turned to face Nyx. He made a face. "No. I came just because I love the smell of all these putrid chemicals you keep around this place!" He looked around. "I'm surprised you haven't blown anything up yet." He admitted, laughing.

He held up the Spinetrout he'd caught fresh that morning. Now, though, they seemed to to be a little on the warm side.

"If you're thinking of eating 'em..." though he doubted she was, "You'd better get 'em cold, and quick." He looked at them appraisingly. "They should be okay, though. You can always ask Rao if they've gone bad."

He looked back at the dragon, who was now engrossed in the picture of herself. He turned back to Nyx.

"Time for money, plox." The last word was in his native tounge. "That means 'please', in case you didn't know. You really should learn some Flounderling. The others don't like to come here anymore." He said, a mock grimace crossing his face.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
"Actually," Mime signed, "I came to ask you that."

Though her parents wouldn't admit it, they could use a few more marks around the house. They wanted Mime to have the most wonderful, sunny childhood possible - not because of her shortcomings, but because every child deserved one. Their disappointment could be seen, as Mime didn't have any companions besides her parents, but she was happy, at the same time. She very much appreciated the lovely childhood they'd provided - it should've been hard, what with all they went through, but it wasn't - but now it was time to give back.

If payment was offered. She wasn't looking for it - ecksperience would be enough to help her family out. It always looked good - especially for a Human on Level 17 - to have helped out some "Higher Beings." Mostly though, she just wanted to help these people.

To clarify, in case those signs went above Nycks' head, she doodled a picture of herself in the uniform apron, scrubbing the floors while Rao sat on a throne and Nycks enjoyed a fantastic looking fish. The fishboy also appeared in the drawing.

As a seamonkey.

((I KNOW!1 It was scary. DDx))

TheClamWhisperer

Vampire Fish
((I'm here, Amme!))

Name: Amyranthia Rowanwand

Occupation: Healer/ Entertainer in Animal and Human Infirmary and Psychic
Level you live on: 7

Personality: Amyranth is quite childish when it comes to her nature. Like any child, once she reaches boredom she's had enough. She craves attention, swears like a construction worker, and seems to have endless amounts of unleaded energy. Compassionate at heart, she doesn't have any quagmires when it comes to helping people, but she prefers working with animals rather than people.
Amyranth is hardly ever in a bad mood, but when she is, it definitely isn’t a good time to pester or reprimand her. When Amyranth is angered or frustrated, the temperature in the vicinity will rise as a warning sign, but if that doesn’t set the instigator off, Amyranth’s flaming body sure will.
History: The strange Hallow Witch came to the Golden City when she was four years old, one of the youngest of the Lost Children. Like many, she doesn’t recall much of her home or her family. All she really remembers was that she was dragged out of a burning barn by her best friend Ari and that he promised to protect her. During the long, seemingly hopeless trek to the Golden City, Amyranth was always crying when she was separated from Ari, the other children called her Crybaby Ranth, and made fun of her when Ari wasn’t around.
During one particular bully encounter, one of the boys pushed her into the mud and took her horse-hair bracelet, a very important item to her. It was then that they discovered that Amyranth was not a normal girl. When she retaliated by pushing the boy, a dark purple mass of energy sprang from her hands, knocking the boy back a few yards and leaving black markings on his chest.
From then on, she was known as the Witch, only on her fifth birthday was she christened the Hallow Witch by Ari. Once they arrived in the city, Fay’s mother directed them to the orphanage, but when people tried to separate Amyranth and Ari, she threw a fit and destroyed much of the infirmary. After the incident, the two set up residence on the seventh level, Ari working as a warrior, Amyranth becoming the apprentince to an esteemed mage named Phelana Dovist.
For the next ten years, Amyranth studied under Phelana, honing her odd ability of Darkness and Fire into lethal, but controllable weapons. Currently, she still lives on the seventh level with Ari, and works as a healer for both the human and animal infirmary.
The source of her power is a mystery to her, Ari proposes that it is genetic, but Phelana honestly has no explanation. The adults frown at her for living with Ari, because he is five years older than her, but he is the only one she will allow to call her Amyranthia.
Weapon/s: Her primary weapon is a chakram, a razor sharp iron ring that she has intense experience with. Aside from that, she carries a dream-catcher at her belt which Phelana gave to her. The dream catcher can absorb the negative energy directed at her and monetarily give her power over it.

Power/s & Abilities: Amyranth wields the power of darkness and fire, being both a pyrokinetic and witch. She is able to summon fire at will, from deep within the earth so that it is always at hand, and there is darkness even in the brightest light, and she can use it for a series of purposes. From hiding, flying, fighting, creating illusions, but the most deadly tactic is when she releases the darkness in one sharp pang, which can blockade the blood stream or freeze the lungs. The darkness is malleable, so she can make it heavy, sharp, cold or hot.
She hardly uses it for fighting, mostly for fun and entertaining the sick children and animals. But her dark powers gained her the title of Hallow Witch, because if the darkness ever strikes you, it leaves a black mark that will never fade. The reason customers come to her most, however, is because Amyranth can commune with the dearly departed, using darkness to delve into their world and converse and summon them for protection.

Appearance: Amyranth has large scarlet eyes that intrigue others with their size and coloring, feathery indigo hair which reaches to her mid back, streakerd with black every now and then, which is her natural hair. Go figure. Amyranth typically wears a black zip up shirt with a fish net underneath and ebony jeans with white stripes traveling up the sides. Her complexion at best is pale and she is what someone would call ‘cute’ rather than ‘hot’. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c156/narcotic_beauty/anime/light/f4fe3c9a.jpg
Aside from her usual clothing, she sometimes wears a short black dress with a scarlet cross embroidered at the chest. On her feet are typical black sneakers or boots, to make her feel taller, but her clothing is mostly for comfort rather than appeal. She wears what she likes, no butts about it.

Theme song/s: Maybe-Second Hand Serenade
Other: She and Ari ended up taking in a black kitten named Korona and each own their own colts.

Tobuoi

Who's that girl?
Website
www.tobuoi.deviantart.com
OOC: So, it's like a pyramid, GoH, right?

Just for your guys' reference, Mal's going to have a little "Plague" false alarm, here...

Malaylee: Inside of the store, Mal noted several different people. One of which, the only familiar one, was the girl who (owned?) worked at the shop. After much speculation in past visits, Malaylee had assessed that the girl was a young human...about her age. Standing near the girl was a Flounderling and...to Mal's surprise, another human girl.

Laylee made it a point to stick to her own business and find what she needed. However, this was hard to do. Still, she strolled through the shop, glancing at the strange items on the shelf. She had come here for thickening powder. It was an ingredient that mages and potion-makers used to thicken and get rid of odors in their concoctions. Mal, however, had recently discovered that the powder was great for mixing into paint, especially when painting on a hard, natural surface such as rock.

She finally found it. The stuff was cheap and sold in bigger-than-hand-sized jars. The powder itself was an off-white color. Mal grabbed it off of the shelf, carefully, and headed back towards the front of the store where the counter was.

Before she reached the counter though, a spell of dizziness came over here, and before she had time to recover herself, the jar falls to the floor, sending the powder up into the air, almost like smoke. With the dizziness, came a jarring headache, sharp as a knife. It made the sound of the thick glass shattering on the ground sound like a bullet...over and over and over again.

Laylee clutched the side of the counter, quickly, trying to clear her head and her vision...her body felt like it was on fire.

HeartofTwilight

OOC: Sorry it took so long to post. But now I am here to join the partay!

“Hey, Banana!”

Narana finished wiping the table she was cleaning before turning around and staring at the man who had spoken. “It’s Narana.” The man was a fat fellow who smelt as if he hadn’t washed in weeks.

“Yea, whatever, great show last night Nananana…” He trailed off into a snort. She rolled her eyes in disgust. His words slurred together and would be hard to comprehend if one didn’t make one’s living off of serving drunks.

“Can I help you?” She asked impatiently.
The man smiled revealing teeth yellowier than the pale dwarven ail in the mug on the next table. “Ale.” His breath was fouler than his stench, almost making Narana cringe.

“Doesn’t this city have some kind of alcohol limit?” She called back to the bar. The bartender Talmakir, the owners son, laughed, as did Maridia, a human bar maid who used to be her mother’s friend.

“Can he still pay?” Talmakir called back with a chuckle.

“Sure I can!” The man produced a sack of coins and slammed them on the table. Narana peered inside.

“Oh, you got a bit of gold in there.” This was the start of what you might call a bar game for the staff. “How much is that ale again Tal?”

“2 gold a pint!” He called back sounding over professional.

“No way.. Last night…” But Narana gave him a flirting pat.

“Half’s on me.” That seemed like a fair deal for him, though the cheep ale he ordered didn’t come close to a gold piece per gallon.

When the ale had been served, Narana walked over to the bar. “How’s your mother?” Maridia asked.

“Well, last night she was visited by a demon caterpillar who asked her to the horse race.” She paused. “But at least she doesn’t think she is turning into bread anymore so I untied her head restraint.” Marida sighed but stayed silent. The quite was broken by a loud belch.

“Hey, Pelia!” The drunk called using her mother’s name. It wasn’t all that uncommon, but Narana hated it none the less.

“What?” She remained calm at least outwardly. “It’s Narana.” She corrected him again.

“Do that thing you do…you know with the cup.” He was referring of course to her little bar trick of making glass cups shake and shatter.

“Anything for the customer,” She sighed and pulled out her penny whistle. With one toot, his mug shook. With another note it went faster.

“Rana! Don’t explode the thing in the man’s face.” But she wasn’t listening. She was focused on the mug. All the confusion in her mind was being channeled to the note and the sound. Merida knocked the cup off the table just in time.

“Rana.” Tal said thoughtfully. “Take the rest of the day off. Come back for the night rush. I’ll cover it with the old man.”

Narana was slow to respond. That last “trick” left a shooting pain in her head. She lifted herself up on a bar stool and sat as usual, cross-legged. She rested her head in her hands. “Since when are you my boss, Tal?” She mumbled. “But you’re probably right.” She lifted her head up and sighed. To Merida she said, “You’ll be okay taking my tables?” The woman nodded. Narana hopped of the stool and immediately wished she hadn’t done so that quickly. “I’m out of stuff for my head anyway. See you tonight I guess.” The other two waved by. The drunk in the corner still looked bedazzled by the now broken mug.

Narana returned to the house on the 15th level that had belonged to her grandparents who she never met. She took the key out and opened the door. Pea greeted her with a welcome caw, but even that was unpleasant to Narana at the moment. The raven fluttered down from the top of a cabinet and landed on her shoulder. Narana fished for some crumbs in her apron and when she found one she placed it lightly on her bottom lip. Pea leaned in and gently scrapped off the food.

“Is that you your highness?” Her mother’s nonsensical words reached her from the next room. She was sitting on a cushioned chair holding a bar of soap in her left hand. “I think the king is here, Mundandan!” She whispered to the soap.

“Mother, how did you get out of your room?” Narana asked slightly annoyed. It wasn’t safe for her mom to be out free in the house.

“Why Slivila was nice enough to put this key under my dresser!” The woman who was just entering her fifties happily pulled a key out of her pocket. Narana snatched it away.

“Who, pray tell, is Slivila?” She said as she gently pulled her mother up and began guiding her to her room.

“Your sister of course!” Her mother turned to her as they were enter the room. “Are we just going to leave Mundandan alone?” She looked genuinely concerned.

“I am sure that the king will take good care of him.” That seemed to quell Pelia’s worries. Narana left and locked the door behind her. It really was no mystery who this Slivila was. “Pea. That window is only big enough for you. It isn’t funny letting mother out like that, she could get into real trouble.” The raven just squawked slyly. “Whatever.” Narana responded as she exited onto the street with the bird on her shoulder.

She made her way up to the nineteenth level and over to the only place she knew of that could make something for her headaches. She knocked on the door.

TheClamWhisperer

Vampire Fish
"Nngh. Five more minutes, Ari!"

A girl with light indigo colored hair was curled up in a little ball, wrapped in pure, once crisp, white sheets like a catepillar in a cocoon. Her eyes were rebelliously closed, the fiftten year old refusing to open them, lest the morning light get in and truly rob her of a much needed sleep.

"Ranth, up." A boy laughed, snatching the pillow away from her and promptly whapping her over the head with it. "Nuuu," She whined, pounding her fist into the matress as she scrambled for the pillow. "Don't make me drag you out of that bed," He warned, crossing his arms at her pugnacious attitude.

"You wouldn't dare..." She muttered, getting comfortable again. It took only a second for a grin to cross his tanned face. "Oh, really?" The black kitten pawing at a ball of yarn at the edge of the bed went tumbling off the matress with a distressed 'mew, startled by the girl's cry of, "Ari! Put me down!"

The warrior carried the small girl over his shoulder towards the bathroom, ignoring the frenzied kicks and cries of profanity. "Get dressed," He instructed lowering her to the carpet at the bathroom door. She glared at him with her weary, but amazingly fiery scarlet eyes. Ari patted her on the head once with a chuckle before turning around and heading for the neighboring room. Amyranth stuck out her tongue at his retreating back. Oh, that burned.

Korrona, the kitten, staggered out from the white sheets, her yellow eyes unfocused from the tumble off the bed. "Gragh, I'm still sleepy," Amyranth sighed, washing her face with some cool water and gently patting it dry with a golden washcloth. Next, she seized her clothes from the top of the sink and slipped into them, discarding her pajamas in the laundry basket.

"Another day," She mused, exiting the lavatory, remembering to shut the light. She didn't want to get scolded again. "Korrona," She smiled, plucking the kitten up from the floor and lightly dropping her on the bed before stroking her ebony head. "Amyranthia, did you fall asleep in there?" Came Ari's voice from the next room. Put off, she cupped her hands around her mouth and called, "For your information, Aridan, I have already finished getting dressed. I wish I could say the same for you!"

Feeling triumphant she pulled on her black sneakers while running a comb through her feathery hair, wondering if it would be too humid. Finally, she glanced at her wrist, a band of silver hair was wrapped around it and it pleased her. Every morning like clockwork, she checked to make sure it was there. In addition to that inspection, she touched her collarbone, feeling a corded necklace with a silver flame. "All good!" She cheered, throwing her fist in the air.

"You ready?" The brunette male asked, heading for the door. "Uh-huh!" She replied, prancing towards him, but waving at the cat. The two trekked down the hallway, bidding hello to people they knew, and heading for their destinations. "What are you going to do today?" Ari asked, adjusting the strap of his chestplate. Glancing upward, Amyranth pondered aloud, "I dunno. I have a shift at the infirmary, but then I might go see Nyx."

Her companion nodded in approval, gently nudging her away from two gargantuan men carrying clubs. "All right. Meet me at the square at sundown!" He smiled, giving her an encouraging push as they went their seperate ways. "If you're late, you buy!" She called, walking backwards.

"Maybe I'll pay Nyx a visit before my shift," She decided, darting into a patch of sunlight and using her own shadow to open a dark portal. "Here we go!" She smirked, dissolving into the abyss.

Within about a minute, she appeared at the counter of Nyx's shop. "Yo!" Greeted, smiling at her fellow Lost Child. Upon noticing a fish-like man close by, Amyranth waved with a smile of, "Hey, Zaro!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back