• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Golden City [a literate original]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

GuardianOfHearts

Darkrooms and safelights
Sitting inside the viewfinder of a camera, watchin
The sun sets, and a fire seems to ignite over the land. You shield your eyes against the blaze, and ahead of you looms something hugely vast: you think to yourself, Is it a mountain, a mirage, or has the sunlight hardened into stone before me? For what you see certainly looks as though it was built from dull sunshine. However, it is none of these things. It is a city.

Yes, a city, one created almost entirely from smooth desert-yellow stone that seems to drink in the sunset. It is tall, impossibly tall, but that it because it is built upon tiers that are each maybe a mile or half long. You try to count the levels, but you lose track. Eighteen, twenty, twenty-three? Somewhere around that.

Here and there, from close-set buildings, a tower will rise, and at the top, what must be a palace sits like a crown. Amidst the dusty gold stone are snatches of lush green, showing that there are, in fact, trees and other plants.

Outside of the city, people are gathered near the river that passes by, doing this or that while watched by a peaceful herd of horses- or are they gazelles? –in the distance. But now, everyone is hurrying to get back inside. Here, apparently, it isn’t good to be out after dark.

What the city itself lacks in color makes up for it in the incredible variety of its people. A cacophony of languages and a muddle of faces make up the population. And despite all the hustle and bustle, it seems to be relatively peaceful, happy; and yet you are warned, even now behind the sturdy walls, to find a place to stay during the night. And this seems odd, for what could be so dangerous here, amidst music, magic, and laughter, in- where are you?

Welcome to the Golden City of Ledonaath.

+[Recap]
Yep, that’s the plot right there. Nice, free-form, character-driven. Here your creativity can go nearly unlimited. Within reason, I’m giving you free rein over everything from flora and fauna to culture. This city is a melting pot, if you haven’t realized.

But just because I didn’t strap you down with a set of storylines doesn’t mean that it’s totally lazy. No, lots of things can and will happen, and you can make them up too. Just remember to read the rules!

+[Setting]
I explained some in the opening. Ledonaath is more often referred to as the Golden City because of its darkly-gold color. Like I mentioned, levels, twenty-eight of them to be exact, build it up. They connect to a tall cliff behind it. The terrain is a grassland/savannah type. The Windlewyth River runs past the city on its right side, continuing further on to the ocean, several miles away. Ledonaath has several parks built in it, a couple taking up entire levels. This has attracted its own animals, though there are menageries that keep most of them. Stables are built on every level for ‘beasts of burden’ that make travel in the city possible.

The city is peaceful. Yes, there are rogues in it, and people can and have been stolen from and murdered, but the crime rate is lower than most places of its size. Legend has it that the city was made, hundreds of years ago, by refugees from many different nations fleeing from war. And since then, the tradition of being a nexus of myriad different ethnicities has continued. Surprisingly, there’s a good amount of tolerance, yet race crimes are not unheard of. Temples for nearly every different religion you could find have been built, and a royal council runs the city accordingly, allowing proper representation for each city level.

But, there are problems. Being a melting-pot for culture also means being one for magic. Whether or not magic is the cause or merely a magnetic attraction is unsure, but many a strange thing happen there, and it can even be dangerous after sunset. People have reported seeing wraiths wandering around at night, or been confronted by talking statues during the day.

Remember to be on your guard.

+[Non-Playable Characters]

The Watchers: Now, these are perhaps the most peculiar things about the city. No one quite knows what they are, but luckily, they don’t seem to mean anyone harm- they’re actually helpful at times. People speculate that they’re protective spirits who watch over the Golden City and its inhabitants. They come in the form of usually small, strange animals. And most often, you’ll simply catch of glimpse of glowing eyes or a shadow out of the corner of your eye. There have only been a few reported times in history that one of them has spoken to someone, and only to warn of great danger for the whole city.

The Plague: One of the several malevolent spirits that haunt Ledonaath. If it has a name, no one knows it, and for the most part, people are even afraid to name it at all. It comes in the form of a tall, too-thin man, with ashen skin, diseased orange-red eyes, and dark blood-red hair. It slips into houses during the dark of the moon and selects a victim, causing them to instantly turn feverishly ill. Death is always within a few days, and no one has yet found a cure.
The Plague seems to be related, in some way, to the four other malicious spirits that roam during the days when the moon does not show. They are listed immediately below.

Insanity: The spirit that comes in the form of a short, feral-looking black-haired woman with yellow eyes and fangs. When seen, it is most often laughing or smirking. As the name implies, it induces madness in people, and generally likes to create chaotic situations.

The Elements: A trinity of beautiful sisters that are made from the essence of fire, water, and air, and have some control over such. They cause destruction when they can. Fires, floods, dust storms, if they come during the dark of the moon, you can bet your life that it’s caused by them. Clicky clicky, I found a reference pic!

+[Rules]

-Be LITERATE. If you can't post two paragraphs or more, including satisfying grammar and spelling, I don't want to see you. Don't worry though; I won't bite your head off if you missplace a comma or don't get a word or two right. But there's no excuse for your posts looking as if you typed blindfolded.

-Follow the general KHI rules, and remember about power-playing and god-moding. Common courtesy, ya know.

-Keep stuff PG-13.

-R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Respect me, respect your fellow RPers, respect yourself. I don't want any flaming in my thread. It's so pretty. Do you really want to make it ugly? If you feel the need to argue with someone that bad, please use the PM system.

-No Mary-Sues. If you don't know what a Mary-Sue is, then basically, it's a two-dimensional character. Flat. Boring. Too damn powerful or cliché. I love originality to death. You don't need to have a tortured past to be interesting.

-As the city is diverse, I adore introducing new races and cultures. So go ahead. But I don’t want you to be a 700-year old elf or whatever. And for my remaining sanity, please, no angelic or demonic characters. It really doesn't make sense.

-I uphold the right to boot you out if problems arise or if I feel that your profile isn't up to par. And if I don't accept you, don't you dare post {after I will specifically ask you not to} and ask "y wasnt i excepted??" I swear I will gouge your eyes out.

-Be involved. I will allow absences as long as you give a notice. Upon your return, you will be given a summary and allowed to hop back in. Yay!

-Being involved does NOT mean rapid-fire posting. No one likes to come back after ten minutes and see twenty pages that weren't there before. Please don't do that. I'll cry. And kick you out.

-Have fun! :D I love fun. I love whoever invented it too.

-Just an added thing … I swear that, out of sheer happiness, I will rep anyone who recognizes and figures out where I got the name for the Windlewyth River from. {PM me}

+[Profile] ~finally

Name:

Gender: {because sometimes, I do actually need this option}

Race/Ethnicity:

Level you live on: {1-25}

Personality: {how do they act? Quirks, habits, nature? I’d love to know. Make this longer than two sentences, though.}

History: {you’re okay to have fun with this}

Weapon/s: {make this logical. That's all I ask.}

Power/s & Abilities: {again, logic. you can have a specific power or just be able to use magic like a sorcerer, I don't care, as long as you're not too powerful. Get me?}

Appearance: {either a description or a non real-life picture and description. Because sometimes I wonder; Does that girl really want her character to have purple hair ... ? But links only please}

Theme song/s: {it’s fun. =D}

Other: {the place for anything else that needs saying!}

Skam

I'll join if I may

Name: Drakonus (nickname: Drak)

Race/Ethnicity: Caucasian

Level you live on: fifteenth

Personality: Drakonus is quite the loudmouth and is quite confident in his abilities which makes him sound conceited sometimes. Drakonus is also intelligent and somtimes outgoing and respectful. Drakonus is very optimistic and a smoker and tends to spend a lot of time at bars.

History: Drakonus used to live outside of the golden city but soon left his home to live here where he's lived a somewhat interesting life. Drakonus couldnt maintain a job for more than a week and now works as a mercenary, working for anyone willing to pay him. Drakonus has worked as a body guard and such but nothing too exciting but when he gets paid, he normally blows half his pay drinking at a bar. Drakonus has learned always to look on the bright side.

Weapon/s: Drakonus weilds two blades that are in sheathes at his shoulders, one being
Fox hunter, a normal knife and the second being a Bowie and also Drakonus is skilled in martial arts.

Power/s & Abilities: Drakonus is very talented with his accuracy when throwing knives and is very quick with both his knives and his body movements. Drakonus doesnt posess any special powers or abilities besides those listed.

Appearance: Aethereality Gallery - OXIDE War of Genesis - #080 (I used this link to give you a look at drakonus's face. His clothes and weapons are different and his eyes are a deep icy blue) His torso is in black wraps but the wraps do not extent to his arms, he has black baggy pants and black boots and has knife sheathes on his shoulders attached to the wraps around his torso.

Theme song/s: Hysteria by Muse

Other: Drakonus has a tattoo covering his whole left arm. The tattoo is of tribal flames. They extend from his shoulder down to his palm.

If you need any more info just ask and i will definitely fix this thing up.

Sean

Ehhhhhh
Awards
Name: Recks

Race/Ethnicity: nmexa (if we can make up races) if not Japanese-Chinese mix

Level you live on: 12th

Personality: Recks can be a real smart-alec. But also serious when its necessary. He likes to be competitive in anything whether it be a race to a fight to the death. Recks has the determination that will get noticed by anyone who knows or even just met him.

History: Everyone on the 12th level of Ledonaath knows Recks very well. Most of those people are old and his group that he hangs out with. While he is not delivering 'special' items to people on the other floors as well as his own, he is either sleeping or betting that he'll win any fight. Recks' parents are never at home, their always on other floors talking to big-time citizens. He hangs out with Juno, Mira, Ames, and his brother Belkin. The group is usually up to no good stealing or playing pranks on other people. Recks and Belkin have a strong bond that will never be broken unless one dies (family code).

Weapon/s: Ground-Runner; (obtained later in rp)

Power/s & Abilities:
Battle Style-Recks has no specific style to his fighting. Instead he uses his agility and speed to cut down his opponent.

Style Breaker-Recks goes against his traditional ways of fighting and goes out of control, but becomes extremely powerful. (only triggered when he's lost a certain amount of blood)

Last Breath-Recks uses his last breath to increase his speed power and defence to the max. (faints after using this)

Appearance: Recks has white hair that cuts at his shoulder. He wears a sleeveless black shirt with a red 'X' on it. He wears black jean-shorts with black boots. Recks also has his whole right arm wrapped up in white. Seldomly wears a white zip-up hoody.

Theme song/s: none

Over-Used Phrase: "If that's all you have to offer, then I give up."

Zero

Sergeant RoxMog
Name:Ryoma

Race/Ethnicity:Caucasian

Level you live on: 13

Personality: He is active,nice,cool,but when he needs to get serious he gets serious.So kinda like Sora.

History: He has always with his friends Robin and Strife he knows a lot of people because he has lived there for almost his whole life.They sometimes get into trouble but only if they are bored but Robin always gets them out of it.They always go out and eat Sea Salt Ice Cream.They also have known each other for a long time.

Weapon/s: Broadsword

Power/s & Abilities:
Final Blow-Makes a powerful attack that hurts enemies a lot,but then leaves him weak.

Appearance: He has brown hair and blue eyes.Black shirt,black wrist band(right hand),white wrist band(left hand),dark blue pants,white shoes.

Theme song/s: One Winged Angel

Other:Saying"I cant resist a challenge,even one this dumb."

X

xanother_nobodyx

Name: Leora

Race/Ethnicity: Caucasian

Level you live on: 16

Personality: Leora is a little shy, but very outgoing when she has to be. She loves to read, write, and talk to people she cares about, but only them. She can seem cruel at first, but once you gain her trust, she is very kind. She has a short temper, and will defend anyone when she has to.

History: She originally lived on level four with her parents, but they went outside of the city and never came back, so she went to live with her Aunt Saki on the sixteenth floor. She once tried to sneak out of the city to find her parents, but was caught.

Weapon/s: Usually just one longsword, but may use a bow if need be. Also carries a few small daggers everywhere she goes.

Power/s & Abilities: Very good with sword and throwing daggers/knives. Also has the ability to heal others(but hasn't mastered it, so it may not always work).

Appearance: Very pale skin, crystaline eyes, waist-length black hair with blue streak in the front. Wears a black and red striped tank top with black pants and white shoes. Also wears a silver ring given to her by her mother on her left hand.

Theme song/s: Keep Tyin'-Utada Hikaru/ Crazy Angel-Kill Hannah

Other: Leora has a birthmark of something simular to a heart on her upper left arm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back