• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The Official Voice Actor Discussion Thread

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

Scorseselover

Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - Home of David Tennant & Drake Bell Speculation!

I don’t think we should jump to conclusions about Hanks. Disney was able to get the original cast in all of these Toy Story tv specials and short films, so it’s still a possibility Tom Hanks could still play Woody.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Re: The Official VA Discussion Thread - Home of David Tennant & Drake Bell Speculation!

I don’t think we should jump to conclusions about Hanks. Disney was able to get the original cast in all of these Toy Story tv specials and short films, so it’s still a possibility Tom Hanks could still play Woody.
It's much easier to get Tom Hanks to put his name on a contract for a movie / tv special than it is for a video game. He also doesn't do video games because he doesn't have the time to record. That's why in every single Toy Story video game that's been released, Tom's brother Jim voices Woody:
qulZbed.png

[video=youtube;LNptl7bjRhI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNptl7bjRhI[/video]

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

Aside from Tom Hanks, I think they've all come back for at least one Toy Story video game. Sulley from Monsters Inc was voiced by Joel McCrary in Disney Infinity, however, and John Goodman might be a bit busy what with the Rosanne revival and all.

Still, it's Disney who holds these contracts and brings in whomever they want to voice for the characters:

I'd count Tom Hanks out no matter what, but I don't think it is out of the question for the rest to be brought back =)

Oh well yea, I kind of figured it was Disney, but I wouldn't be surprised if they at least offered the jobs to people who do the movies though, and then if its not enough money or something they go down the list, so to speak lol. But I guess I really don't know how it works? I'd still be happy with most of the original cast returning, all things considered.

But I do think the Toy Story stand-ins are pretty good. I didn't love Sully's in Disney Infinity though.

Okay I’m trying my best to not get political, but I have been following his Twitter for years and I have not read anything racist that he posted.

I don’t think politics should be a reason why people shouldn’t be cast in a game, that’s irrelevant.

You mean James Woods? I mean...Chaser literally posted multiple examples that had tweets of him being that and transphobic lol.

Also, being a bigot isn't "political", its just rude. That being said, that doesn't really keep people from getting cast in a game either. At least as much as it should lol, in general it really seems to only matter for people actively working with the public...cuz then they get complaints from customers.

I suppose its somewhat irrelevant as I said I would still get it no matter what lol. I guess it just sucks knowing people whose performances you enjoy aren't really all that great in other aspects.

Scorseselover

I read those articles, I feel like they’re jumping the gun a bit and not get what Woods is saying.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Oh well yea, I kind of figured it was Disney, but I wouldn't be surprised if they at least offered the jobs to people who do the movies though, and then if its not enough money or something they go down the list, so to speak lol. But I guess I really don't know how it works? I'd still be happy with most of the original cast returning, all things considered.
Movie voice actors usually come back if they've done repeat performances as those characters, or if the game has major pull. Kingdom Hearts 1 brought back a bunch of the originals, even the original voice for Alice and Wendy, but then you have the case of Pirates of the Caribbean in Kingdom Hearts 2 where each of the main cast were too busy and most likely didn't care.

Disney has a bunch of stand-ins or imitators in the event they bring characters back for a spin-off episode of a show or other merchandise (this isn't as common these days as it was back in the early 2000's with something like The House of Mouse). For example, Matthew Broderick as Simba. He voiced the Lion in three Disney films, but Cam Clarke voiced him in Kingdom Hearts 2 and various other media. including HoM.

And then we have Dream Drop Distance where there were barely any original actors from the movies playing those characters. Excluding the main Disney cast, those who grew up, and those who passed away, we had stand-ins for Esmerelda, Phoebes, Quasimodo, Sam Flynn, Quorra, Kevin Flynn / CLU with only Jason Alexander (Hugo), Pat Carroll (Ursula), Jeff Bennett / Maurice LaMarche (The Beagle Boys) and Charles Kimbrough (Victor) reprising their roles.

The ones who didn't return are bigger names. Those who came back haven't really got much going on (Alexander, Kimbrough) or they're dedicated voice actors who return for their role (e.g. Carroll, Bennett, and LaMarche).

I'm not saying this is the case of KH3. It's a bigger game, it's a console game, it's a Disney game with their input and marketing. But Disney have voice actors who step in to voice for roles that the main cast of a film are too busy or disinterested in. They might pull some magic and get a good handful of people who think are too busy, but someone like Hanks, who has always been too busy to voice for a video game, is extremely unlikely.

I read those articles, I feel like they’re jumping the gun a bit and not get what Woods is saying.
So what is Woods really saying when he says a child will grow up, murder their parents, and shove their disembodied bodies into a freezer, all because the family is teaching their child to express their-self in whatever way the child wants?

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

I guess I can see the argument for the first one or so, as the whole Confederate Monument thing stems more from a lack of understanding/education on the subject half the time than just pure racism, sure. But I guess yea, that least tweet was so terrible I really don't even care lol. That's literally all the dude had to say to be a bigot... I suppose the comment I quoted you specifically said you don't think he is racist though, so maybe you already knew that.

Movie voice actors usually come back if they've done repeat performances as those characters, or if the game has major pull. Kingdom Hearts 1 brought back a bunch of the originals, even the original voice for Alice and Wendy, but then you have the case of Pirates of the Caribbean in Kingdom Hearts 2 where each of the main cast were too busy and most likely didn't care.

Disney has a bunch of stand-ins or imitators in the event they bring characters back for a spin-off episode of a show or other merchandise (this isn't as common these days as it was back in the early 2000's with something like The House of Mouse). For example, Matthew Broderick as Simba. He voiced the Lion in three Disney films, but Cam Clarke voiced him in Kingdom Hearts 2 and various other media. including HoM.

And then we have Dream Drop Distance where there were barely any original actors from the movies playing those characters. Excluding the main Disney cast, those who grew up, and those who passed away, we had stand-ins for Esmerelda, Phoebes, Quasimodo, Sam Flynn, Quorra, Kevin Flynn / CLU with only Jason Alexander (Hugo), Pat Carroll (Ursula), Jeff Bennett / Maurice LaMarche (The Beagle Boys) and Charles Kimbrough (Victor) reprising their roles.

The ones who didn't return are bigger names. Those who came back haven't really got much going on (Alexander, Kimbrough) or they're dedicated voice actors who return for their role (e.g. Carroll, Bennett, and LaMarche).

I'm not saying this is the case of KH3. It's a bigger game, it's a console game, it's a Disney game with their input and marketing. But Disney have voice actors who step in to voice for roles that the main cast of a film are too busy or disinterested in. They might pull some magic and get a good handful of people who think are too busy, but someone like Hanks, who has always been too busy to voice for a video game, is extremely unlikely.

So what is Woods really saying when he says a child will grow up, murder their parents, and shove their disembodied bodies into a freezer, all because the family is teaching their child to express their-self in whatever way the child wants?

Hmmm, yeah I mean I feel like its been hard to say since KH2. I feel like it did decent with reprises but not quite as good as KH1. And BBS had a lot of old movies, but I think the Lilo and Stitch characters all pretty much came back? Don't remember for the Grand Council Woman....but yea DDD was extra bad with it. I expect this game to be better for sure.

I mean I would say most of the Tangled cast will reprise, maybe everyone who reprised for the Big Hero 6 show as well. And well yea we discussed Toy Story and I guess we kind of already know who we will get for Olympus lol.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I mean I would say most of the Tangled cast will reprise, maybe everyone who reprised for the Big Hero 6 show as well. And well yea we discussed Toy Story and I guess we kind of already know who we will get for Olympus lol.
I would expect everyone from the Television shows to reprise their roles. Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi (who has been asked about KH3 but his responses or reactions have been cut from videos), and the fat little cherub man (I forget his name but I need him to be a summon) would be locked in. Clancy Brown, who voices the King, voices Mr Krabs on Spongebob so he isn't opposed to video game work as they've made several video games.

For Big Hero 6, don't expect TJ Miller or Damon Wayans Jr. They both left that franchise and have been replaced. It'd be awesome to have Maya Rudolph reprise Aunt Cass and Jenifer Lewis voice Professor Granville (from the show, she takes over the University). Since both the show and KH3 take place after the movie I do hope they incorporate Professor Granville into the show.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

I would expect everyone from the Television shows to reprise their roles. Mandy Moore, Zachary Levi (who has been asked about KH3 but his responses or reactions have been cut from videos), and the fat little cherub man (I forget his name but I need him to be a summon) would be locked in. Clancy Brown, who voices the King, voices Mr Krabs on Spongebob so he isn't opposed to video game work as they've made several video games.

For Big Hero 6, don't expect TJ Miller or Damon Wayans Jr. They both left that franchise and have been replaced. It'd be awesome to have Maya Rudolph reprise Aunt Cass and Jenifer Lewis voice Professor Granville (from the show, she takes over the University). Since both the show and KH3 take place after the movie I do hope they incorporate Professor Granville into the show.

I vaguely remember an interview with Zachary years ago claiming he wanted to be a Disney voice actor so he could get into a KH game lol. Which makes sense as he hosts/is into lots of nerdy stuff. I would feel terrible if they didn't use him haha. But I think they will, cuz like you said he and Mandy did the show, and Mandy did Disney Infinity. I kind of expect them both.

I forgot who exactly left, I haven't watched the TV movie yet, but yea I figured whoever did would not be in this. I kind of wonder if Aunt Cass will even be in the world lol. She is the kind of side character KH loves to cut out. But I do love her so I would be happy to see her in.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I vaguely remember an interview with Zachary years ago claiming he wanted to be a Disney voice actor so he could get into a KH game lol. Which makes sense as he hosts/is into lots of nerdy stuff. I would feel terrible if they didn't use him haha. But I think they will, cuz like you said he and Mandy did the show, and Mandy did Disney Infinity. I kind of expect them both.
See, I've tried tracking down that interview but it doesn't seem to exist. At least, not online.

There was an interview he did for Heroes: Reborn where the interviewer brought up him voicing Flynn Rider for the (just then) announced television series, and that same person said he'd be Flynn in KH3, but they cut instantly after that so Zachary didn't really comment on it or react.

There was also an interview with 'Da Man', but it still confirms nothing:
DA MAN: On a related note, you’ve actually done quite a bit of voice acting, including for video games like the “Tomb Raider” reboot from 2013, “Halo: Reach,” “Fallout: New Vegas” and, of course, one of the “Kingdom Hearts” titles. How did you end up in those projects?
Zachary Levi: I think ultimately it was just a matter of someone working on each of those projects who just appreciated whatever they had heard of my voice acting before, and wanted to include me on their project. Working in the nerd culture space with my company the Nerd Machine didn’t hurt either, I’m sure.

I forgot who exactly left, I haven't watched the TV movie yet, but yea I figured whoever did would not be in this. I kind of wonder if Aunt Cass will even be in the world lol. She is the kind of side character KH loves to cut out. But I do love her so I would be happy to see her in.
It was TJ Miller (Fred) and Damon Wayans Jr. (Wasabi). The replacements aren't bad, I thought Fred's replacement did a bang-up job. You're right that Cass is a character that KH would absolutely cut but it'd be a shame that they'd remove such an important figure in Hiro's life, especially with KH3 being bigger and allowing for more characters than before.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

See, I've tried tracking down that interview but it doesn't seem to exist. At least, not online.

There was an interview he did for Heroes: Reborn where the interviewer brought up him voicing Flynn Rider for the (just then) announced television series, and that same person said he'd be Flynn in KH3, but they cut instantly after that so Zachary didn't really comment on it or react.

There was also an interview with 'Da Man', but it still confirms nothing:

It was TJ Miller (Fred) and Damon Wayans Jr. (Wasabi). The replacements aren't bad, I thought Fred's replacement did a bang-up job. You're right that Cass is a character that KH would absolutely cut but it'd be a shame that they'd remove such an important figure in Hiro's life, especially with KH3 being bigger and allowing for more characters than before.

Hmmmm maybe it was verbatim that I heard it from lol. I still kind of believe he feels that way haha.

Ah well that's good. And yeah, I would really love it if KH3 does include some more side characters. That's another thing we really don't know. I guess the best example we have is Toy Story which does seem to have a lot of the characters since even more are included we just know they are kidnapped. I question if all of them would have been included in KH2, for instance....probably not ha.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

Hmmmm maybe it was verbatim that I heard it from lol. I still kind of believe he feels that way haha.

Ah well that's good. And yeah, I would really love it if KH3 does include some more side characters. That's another thing we really don't know. I guess the best example we have is Toy Story which does seem to have a lot of the characters since even more are included we just know they are kidnapped. I question if all of them would have been included in KH2, for instance....probably not ha.
What you bring up in your Toy Story argument is something that worries the shit out of me. They've taken half of the Toy Story characters away. Will the world see a happy ending with the characters reunited, or will those characters remain off screen, thereby only having Woody, Buzz, Rex, Ham, and the Army Soliders as the only characters in that world.

The latter is something that KH would absolutely pull. The former is something that could be expected, but until we know more, then I am cautious of it.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards

I was hoping KH3 would finally do away with a lot of the supporting characters never appearing and actually go through the effort in including them this time around.

Last edited:

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

The only way I can think of about defending what Woods was trying to say is that he was expressing concern for the kid and how will he grow up.
Which is an argument that could be made if you ask me. In the 21st century sexuality and genders are already so confusing for many children and boys and this confusion is the source for so many bad things that I personally disapprove using your young son, who still doesn't have any personal say in any matter, to send a message. That's a level of manipulation I disagree with and think it butts heads with the "let anyone do whatever they want" message.

But even if that was the case for Mr. Woods, his response was unacceptable by ethical standards. This is not an issue of people not getting what he was trying to say, but how he said it. Considering America's current state of affairs I feel it's important we made this distinction clear: there are some things you can't say without expecting consequences and/or being labeled a certain way for them, even if what you wanted to say was "I like bananas and the color orange."

James Woods is a fairly old man who had a stellar carreer as an actor, and if I have to take a guess I'd say he considers his life and achievements done and doesn't think he has anything to prove to anyone anymore. Which is why he talks freely and expresses his thoughts in such a brutal way at times. And he's a conservative, therefore he simply believes his country and people and certain values come first so he thinks he's doing and saying the right things.
I say this not to defend nor to accuse him, but to state who (I think) he is. I don't think at this point we can expect him to change or excuse what he says, one can only accept it, look the other way, or trying to have as few contacts with him as possible in the future.

There. I'm sorry to bring a bit of politics into this thread for those who don't want to read them, but I wanted to say what I think on the subject. I'm done.

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards

If I recall correctly on the occasion James Woods was unable to voice Hades Ron Paulson voiced him.

Sora2016

Silver Member
Awards

What you bring up in your Toy Story argument is something that worries the shit out of me. They've taken half of the Toy Story characters away. Will the world see a happy ending with the characters reunited, or will those characters remain off screen, thereby only having Woody, Buzz, Rex, Ham, and the Army Soliders as the only characters in that world.

The latter is something that KH would absolutely pull. The former is something that could be expected, but until we know more, then I am cautious of it.

I guess I had hope at least Jesse and Bullseye will show up...Slinky seems weird to omit as well. I dunno though...I guess how would they ever fix the world? You mean in the end credits all the others finally show up or something? Otherwise I guess we could find them later in the game like how we found Alice later. But she was still and got to be in the game so I guess if that happened it would be better than the former lol.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I guess I had hope at least Jesse and Bullseye will show up...Slinky seems weird to omit as well. I dunno though...I guess how would they ever fix the world? You mean in the end credits all the others finally show up or something? Otherwise I guess we could find them later in the game like how we found Alice later. But she was still and got to be in the game so I guess if that happened it would be better than the former lol.
Some KH1 worlds didn’t get closure, like Wonderland and Agrabah. They could save resources by just omitting characters completely and have Xehanort keep those toys away from Woody. Of course, like you said, the epilogue would need to have them reunite so Toy Story 3 could happen.

Basically I’m scared I won’t have Joan Cusack in a KH game and that’s something I really want.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards

If I recall correctly on the occasion James Woods was unable to voice Hades Ron Paulson voiced him.
I believe the only time Rob Paulsen voiced Hades was for one line in the Mickey's House of Villains song. Though I can't remember what the reason was because I'm pretty sure James Woods sang in it too.

Some KH1 worlds didn’t get closure, like Wonderland and Agrabah. They could save resources by just omitting characters completely and have Xehanort keep those toys away from Woody. Of course, like you said, the epilogue would need to have them reunite so Toy Story 3 could happen.

Basically I’m scared I won’t have Joan Cusack in a KH game and that’s something I really want.
I can totally see SE making beautiful models of the other toys, only to use them just for the credits epilogue.

But good golly, we better not be rescuing an empty box that Sora and friends pretend the toys are oh so totally there.

DarkosOverlord

Bronze Member
Awards

But good golly, we better not be rescuing an empty box that Sora and friends pretend the toys are oh so totally there.

Is it wrong that a part of me kinda wants BbS' ghost npcs in KH III?
I know it's a bad thing to wish for, but with time it became hilariously bad.
I want them to comment on how full the tavern in Rapunzel is and no one's there. Or worrying Dark Baymax will hurt the civilians in a deserted city. Rescuing Elsa from an invisible angry civilians mob. Hercules being praised and acclaimed by the gods' empty seats.

Eh, I probably feel this way because I never really cared for many npcs in KH anyway. Grew up with KH1's worlds, and they had an average of 4 characters.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards

I'd hate that, personally. We've had our fun laughing at the empty crowds but I want them to put in actual effort now that they aren't limited by scope and design. If the worlds feel empty then I will be horrified and upset.

There was this little show that aired on HBO from 2014 to 2017 called The Leftovers, and I think one of the actors from that show has the makings of a good Master Xehanort replacement.

Scott Glenn, who played Kevin Garvey Sr., has a voice that, while not quite up to Leonard Nimoy's excellent work, would still do a fine job at bringing that villain to life.

[video=youtube;mhvdaoyW-K4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhvdaoyW-K4[/video]

If he puts a bit of gravel behind his voice, he might get close to Mr. Nimoy's voice. Overall I think Mr. Glenn would be an excellent replacement.

P.S. his work in that episode of The Leftovers, won him TVLine's performer of the week award, which many who win that award are thankful for on social media.

Scorseselover

Either Scott Glenn or Christopher Lloyd would be fitting replacements.

Back