• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

The original KHCODED

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS

solid_sonic

Awards
I'm sorry, this is probably the wrong forum, but I'm here to ask is there any way to play the original khcoded via emulator or something? I'm asking because I wanna play every single KH game, and I heard the original had different gameplay.

AR829038

Awards
Well that's unfortunate, but thank you.
Yeah, like Ernest-Panda said, it is officially a lost game. If you were desperate enough, there is one full playthrough of the original game that should still be on Youtube, but it's one of the externally recorded (i.e., recorded on a potato) playthrough, and it's only in Japanese, and it's riddled with obnoxious commentary by a Japanese woman playing the game. To this day, it's the only full surviving recording of the original game I've managed to find on the internet.

MATGSY

Silver Member
Awards
and it's riddled with obnoxious commentary by a Japanese woman playing the game.
I think that might be an AI voice reading out comments from viewers. IIRC that's a thing with some Japanese streamers.

AR829038

Awards
I think that might be an AI voice reading out comments from viewers. IIRC that's a thing with some Japanese streamers.
No, this was before streaming was a thing. The recorded playthrough of it came out in like 2009 or thereabouts, and it's very clear that it's a human woman talking over the footage.
Here's one of her videos:
You can find her entire playlist of the game. To my knowledge, it is the only extant complete playthrough of the original DoCoMo phone version of the game that I have managed to find on Youtube.

Zackarix

Awards
It's wild to me that a whole KH game became lost media. Sure, it's not a numbered game, it came out on a cell phone model only released in Japan, and it got a faithful remake with a much wider release. But that's still an entry of a major Disney and video game franchise that became lost. Even V-Cast is mostly found at this point but for Coded we only have a single recorded playthrough.

AR829038

Awards
It's wild to me that a whole KH game became lost media. Sure, it's not a numbered game, it came out on a cell phone model only released in Japan, and it got a faithful remake with a much wider release. But that's still an entry of a major Disney and video game franchise that became lost. Even V-Cast is mostly found at this point but for Coded we only have a single recorded playthrough.
And if it hadn't been for the efforts of godsends like Everglow and damo and other KH youtubers, a similar fate could have befallen Union X and Dark Road. I mean, we still would have had the cutscenes intact, I guess, but all record of the gameplay would have been lost.
This is the main reason why I detest phone games on principle. It's an alright platform for small time-wastey games like Candy Crush or stuff like that, but when you have to tell a whole story through a game—not to speak of a story that has deep significance to a broader franchise lore—then I start to lose my patience with it, because of how inherently unsustainable it is. This is also the reason I dislike MMORPG's in general, because any platform where the experience of playing the game is limited by how long developers can keep a server alive and active is not ideal. I like a game where I can buy it and play it 20 years down the line if I feel like it. I don't like games having finite lifespans.

Zackarix

Awards
Now that I think about it, has Kingdom Hearts Mobile been preserved in any form, even a potato-quality video? I know it was more a portal app than a game but did anyone make a recording?

At least with Coded it has a remake so it can be argued that the original isn't really relevant outside of curiosity and historical preservation. But Mobile might be lost entirely aside from some descriptions and screenshots.

AR829038

Awards
Now that I think about it, has Kingdom Hearts Mobile been preserved in any form, even a potato-quality video? I know it was more a portal app than a game but did anyone make a recording?

At least with Coded it has a remake so it can be argued that the original isn't really relevant outside of curiosity and historical preservation. But Mobile might be lost entirely aside from some descriptions and screenshots.
Come to think of it, I don't think so. I don't think literally anybody cared enough about that thing to want to preserve it. I remember even when it was new no one was talking about it. I at least remember people talking about coded when it came out, but never that thing.

Back