• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

UWA: Journal of Thero Ricardus

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Twilight_Path

So here it is gents... one of my muses that I've been working on for the past couple of days.

A few notes before you dig in:

1.) No, this is not the outline for an RP. Yes, it does sound a lot like one, but it's actually based on a dream I had awhile back.

2.) Some of you who start reading this may not realize it, but yes, Thero Ricardus is a boy. For those of you who immediately throw a short temper tantrum about how I am a girl and why the hell am I writing a story from the point of view of a boy, my answer to you will calmly be:
I wrote this to widen my experience and practice different styles as a writer.

So yeah that's that. If it seems that some people start taking a shine to this, I'll think about expanding on the concept. Until then, enjoy! (Comments please.)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Underground Weapons Arena: Character Files
Journal of Thero Ricardus​

Segment 1: Bloodlust Campaign
Day 14

I am a swordsman, and I suck. From the moment my father received the $3,000.00 check into his greedy hands after he had thoughtlessly signed my life away, I’ve been destined for failure. I actually don’t fully understand the reason why I’m still alive today. The rules of the game I’ve been forced to play are quite simple:

1. No automatic weapons.
2. Duelists must be at least 17 years of age.
3. You lose, you die.

So far, I’ve lost every match I’ve had. It’s… rather baffling. There I’ll be, lying half-conscious in a raw concoction of blood, sweat, and wood shavings on the “butcher’s floor” (the nickname given to the battle arena), waiting for the final blow to come and end my experiences in this hell. However, to the disappointment of both myself and the thousands of gore-crazed spectators, every single last one of my opponents has lowered their weapon(s) and whispered to me in a barely audible voice the same seven words: “Your life is not mine to take.” Heh… trust me, you don’t want to know how many duels I’ve struggled through, how many times I’ve heard that phrase echo through the tormented recesses of my mind…

Day 21

I do not know what happens to a swordsman who refuses to kill his opponent. I often wonder what is the fate of those who have held themselves back from killing me. I am sure, though, that I would not like to know. In this secret world of steel, grace and mercy are seen as flaws, and any who exhibit actions that reflect these emotions are singled out and targeted for extermination by the authorities. That’s right… I said authorities. A strictly secret organization of supreme sword masters who birthed this form of gruesome entertainment to delight the masses. Bunch of sick crackheads if you ask me. Surprisingly enough, these dictators have no names, but it’s been rumored that they’ll attend a match from time to time; especially if the match has sparked an interest in the upper circles of the warrior caste. I’ve never seen any of them higher-ups, but like I said, I’d rather not. Around here, it’s best to keep one’s head down if you’d like to keep it till next sunrise.

Day 25

I realized today that I haven’t quite explained my situation as thoroughly as I should. Supposedly, I should start off with a bit of information about myself. My name is Thero Ricardus. I’m 19 years old, and I was sold by my father the day I turned 17 to one of the recruiting officers for the UWA (that’s Underground Weapons Arena.) I used to live in an apartment building in the suburbs of Fiernon. For reasons unknown to me, my mother left our home several weeks after my little sister was born. My father immediately took to drugs and various forms of felony; I was left to take care of my younger sibling alone. To make ends meet I dropped out of school and got a job at a local farmer’s market. Since the memories of my past become muddled after this point, I will end my sad biography with the simple fact that I now have no idea what has become of my poor excuse for a family. Part of me desires to see justice dealt upon my father for what he has done… perhaps the situation he may be in now would appease my anger towards him. No matter. That is all in the past now.

My new life consists of a monotonous routine that runs something like this:
- Wake up call at 5:45 AM. Lateness results in a sound beating by Orkren, the sorry excuse for a man who was appointed disciplinary administrator after the last one got skewered by a hotheaded pikesman.
- All hands to the Boar Hall. Boar Hall is the main gathering area where meals are eaten and business taken care of (“business” meaning if anyone has a dispute against another they duke it out on the mess hall floor.) It’s lovely trying to enjoy the crap they serve here while reminiscing about the pair who killed each other just hours ago in about the same spot you’re sitting right now. Nice.
- “Roll out and fall in.” This is the term given to the 15 minute time period in which each duelist can take a gander at the battle list. The battle list gives the times, names, and locations of each successive duel taking place during the day, This is when you can really see who’s as tough as they seem. Yesterday, a macho-looking guy who wields a pair of scimitars actually broke down in tears when he saw that he was scheduled to fight someone he apparently knew he couldn’t beat. Come to think of it, I didn’t see him in the Hall this morning. Such is the way of things here.

That’s about all of the routine that my life has nowadays. If your name isn’t on the battle list, you’re free to roam the 1500 acre establishment that they got here for the rest of the day. Most guys who don’t get on the list go to watch the battles, but I don’t much care for that. What kind of sick desire would I have if I reveled in the needless loss of life that occurs on the butcher’s floor? And besides, I get enough excitement when my name is on the list.

I suppose I should also describe the characters I’m forced to interact with on a daily basis, but I think I shall save that tidbit for tomorrow. Then again, perhaps I shouldn’t, because who can tell if I will return to my bunk when the curfew is called? Oh well. I’m tired, and I think I will press my luck.

Day 26

I was lucky enough to not be on the battle list today. My relief might be short lived, so I will continue with my descriptions without delay.

First off, I should describe the warrior caste. This caste is divided into three levels, with various sublevels in each general level. Depending on how you perform in your duels, you can level up or down. Of course, these levels are always changing as members find victory or defeat in their battles. The main levels are simple: the highest level is Elite Blade, followed by General Arms and my current level, Warrior’s Apprentice. I’d rather not even get into the sublevels as they’re mostly something made up by those in the Elite Blade class to intimidate the members of the lower sections. For the most part, the parings on the battle list are fair, pitting together only those in the same class. But sometimes, when the mood seizes the authorities, an unlucky duelist is set against someone on a higher level than said duelist. I’ve only seen this happen several times, but even one time is enough to scare those who were spared as they watch their comrade herded towards their death.

And now for those characters I mentioned earlier. To make it easier to write about, I think I will place these men and women in two separate groups: the bullies and the nobodies.

The Bullies:

1. Bully No. 1 – A feisty… woman. (Surprise.) Her name is Vyra Graiden, and she’s got a temper that rivals an angry mother bear. I try to keep my distance from her as much as I can because she seems to have it in for me; fortunately, it’s relatively easy to spot her a mile away, thanks to her fiery red locks. Vyra’s also known for her skills with her twin dirks. It’s a miracle I haven’t fought her yet… most of her opponents go down within the first seconds of battle, transfixed by a knife through their throats.

2. Bully No. 2 – This guy is a total show-off, but he certainly knows what he’s doing. His name is Kerait Quenn, and he’s been known to take advantage of some of the girls in the Warrior’s Apprentice class. Rumor has it that he and Vyra have a bit of an intimate relationship going on as well (pig). Kerait even nicknamed his weapon of choice: the “Claws of Death.” They’re kind of hard to describe, but imagine a pair of gloves with blades for fingers that can shoot out at you and cover a distance of over 30 feet. That’s the idea… oh, and did I mention that those blades are poisoned?

3. Bullies No. 3 & 4– These two big oafs aren’t really even worth wasting words over. They’re easily several feet taller than me and have gargantuan muscles to boot. One, who goes by the name of Dertun Fergus, crushes peoples’ skulls with a pair of clubs, and the other (known as Berdy Wiles) horribly mangles his victims with a cruel spiked ball and chain.

The Nobodies:

1. Nobody No. 1 – A twenty two year old man with quite the head on his shoulders. I met him in Boar Hall one morning at breakfast; well, more like he came up and sat next to me actually. He introduced himself as Robert Bristles, and I suppose we hit it off from there. It wasn’t until several days later that I found out what a genius he was. I asked him about the rapier he always carries at his side, told him it was looking a bit rusty and I teased him for not taking care of his blade. He kinda glanced at the weapon like he just realized it was there and he said, “What, this old thing? Nah. I don’t even use it.” I stared at him open-mouthed until he explained. Robert makes his own bombs; he has already manufactured three different types. He gets the supplies from around the grounds of the facility, mostly the trash receptacles, and he steals whatever other things he needs to finish off his creations from other duelists. I was worried when he got assigned his first battle, but he appeared at breakfast the next morning sure enough. I guess there’s more to Robert than meets the eye.

2. Nobody No. 2 – One of the most self-disciplined fighters I’ve ever met the whole time I’ve been in this hellhole. This kid’s name is Haque Sharlte, and surprisingly enough, he’s two years younger than I am. I first noticed him because he was eating his food with a pair of chopsticks, and because he was eating alone. I felt bad for him, so I plunked my tray down next to him and took a seat. It was then that I realized he wasn’t eating with chopsticks, because the utensils caught and reflected the light from the fluorescent bulbs that illuminate Boar Hall. I sat there awkwardly for a moment while Haque kept on eating, then I ventured a question about his “chopsticks.” I almost regretted opening my mouth. Before I knew what had happened, Haque’s utensils were at my throat, and I realized with horror that the pointy objects were needles. Several warriors at neighboring tables noticed my predicament, and soon the whole hall was caught in the icy grip of anticipated silence. Haque didn’t even spare a glance at his audience. He simply looked me straight in the eye, murmured a quiet greeting, and turned his attention back to his food. I was relieved beyond words, some of the duelists in the hall were peeved because Haque hadn’t cut me to pieces, and ever since then we’ve been friends.

3. Nobody No. 3 – This is the only duelist whom I haven’t met in Boar Hall. I spotted her in the practice fields, wielding her double-bladed staff against a stuffed scarecrow opponent. She whacked at the dummy’s torso, and a whirlwind of straw exploded into her face, causing her to overbalance and fall. I hurried over to help her up, but she waved me away, claiming that she had everything under control. When the scarecrow started to lean over, threatening to topple, I reached out my hand, grabbed her arm, and pulled her to the side. Our eyes met, and she whispered a breathless “thanks.” She proceeded to tell me that her name was Marie Duentin while I quickly released her arm and helped brush off the straw which clung to the back of her burgundy jacket. After we managed to get most of the larger pieces of dried grass off her clothes, she picked her staff up off the ground and glared fiercely at it. “You think I can trade this thing with one of the guys who wants a change of weapon?” she asked me. I blinked, surprised, and then I told her that I thought she should keep the staff. “Really?” she replied. “Then… can you help me make heads or tails out of wielding this overgrown stick?” I tried to convince her that I wasn’t even good at using my own weapon, but she persisted, and we’ve been training together for awhile now. I gotta admit, she’s pretty cool and I suppose I kinda like her… but as a friend. Just a friend.

Well, those are the people I know the most about. I’m not sure how many warriors are stuck here, since people lose their lives in the arena every day and new recruits are always pouring in, too.
The summons bell is ringing… I wonder what it is this time. Last time they rang that old bronze knocker, someone was trying to make a break for it, and the authorities ordered a head count. They got top quality surveillance here 24/7. Can’t let any of us get out and tell the world what kind of set up they got goin’ on down here. I’ll explain more about that tomorrow…

Day 30

Ngh… unfortunately, my name was on the battle list day 27. I got to duke it out with a tough-looking swordsman that day, and he whipped me good. But there were those same seven words again: “Your life is not mine to take.” I lost consciousness several seconds after my opponent whispered those words in my ear, and I woke up here in my room this morning. I wonder why they haven’t saved themselves the trouble and just finished me on the butcher’s floor yet… it’s not the first time I’ve been knocked out in a duel.

I was reading my past entries and was reminded of my promise of an explanation concerning the summons bell and surveillance. The authorities have every dark and forlorn corner of this place covered by a burly guard; cameras dot the facility like Christmas tree lights on a conifer. Remember that rule I mentioned earlier, the one banning automatic weapons? Seems that doesn’t apply to any of the men on the surveillance staff. Each of them comes fully equipped with a wide variety of guns, the likes of which I’ve never seen before. As if that weren’t enough to scare any thoughts of escape from the fighters imprisoned here, let’s see… they also have a whole squad of German shepherds, and I haven’t seen them, but I’ve heard that they have armored cars patrolling the 40 foot barbed wire fence that surrounds this place on all four sides. You’d be either completely mad or suicidal if you even thought of attempting an escape from this place.

My class is switching barracks tomorrow. See, the battles here are on a schedule. Each campaign, which usually lasts about 30 days, is given a title and the results of each battle are chronicled under the campaign (this last escapade was nicknamed the “Bloodlust Campaign.”) At the end of each campaign, the caste members switch barracks according to their level. Unfortunately, the Warrior’s Apprentice class is being forced to move into a different building, to make room for new recruits. I found out that Haque, Robert, and Marie also have to move to comply with the authorities wishes. At least we won’t be separated. It may take awhile to settle in my new quarters, but I’ll write again as soon as possible. Unless I get killed, of course.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
There she blows. Lemme know what you think, mates.

Who Me?

Sweet story thing ya got there! I especially like the different character's personalities. Hope to see more of 'em!
You know, I'm not really a fan of journal based books, but this might actually work.
POST MORE! :D

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
I wrote this to widen my experience and practice different styles as a writer.

That's very clever.

This story shows lots of promise and it's got the old "I wanna read more" feeling. The character development is excellent, especially the protagonist. There isn't much I can correct grammarwise, but I'd say that with a good plot, this can turn out to to be a great story.

Looking forward to reading more.

Twilight_Path

Damn! I was hoping no one would take a real shine to this... Lol. I'm having one of my lazy writer days, I suppose. A small case of author-angst. Heh.

*gasp* Long time no see Who Me! And what coaxed you out of your hobbit-hole, may I ask? :)

Thanks for the comments, mates.

Twilight_Path

Alrighty then, due to the promptings of my two fans (lol) I whipped up a second campaign. This one doesn't have as much action, but let's just say I'm building to a climax.

*Intro music*
--------------------------------------------
Segment 2: Shadow Diamond Campaign

Day 2

We pulled off the switch successfully. I rather enjoy the view from my room; I have a window this time. It gives one an excellent view of Blind Man’s Field, a desolate scrap of dried earth aptly named for the sand that gets tossed around in the blustery wind and often ends up in one’s eyes. I only hope that the wind won’t get the random urge to turn and throw handfuls of sand in my window.

My next-door neighbor just so happens to be Haque. He’s a good friend, but he sure doesn’t talk much. I still haven’t quite worked up enough courage to ask him for help with my training. Oh, that’s right. I still haven’t mentioned anything about my weapon. I wield a claymore, a long-bladed sword best held with two hands. She’s not much, but I rather admire her for her simple beauty and flawless balance. Pity she could not be wielded by one with more skill than I.

This month’s adventure is called the Shadow Diamond Campaign. It’s been rumored that a priceless treasure was hidden somewhere on the sprawling grounds of this place, hence the name “Shadow Diamond”. I don’t know if any of the duelists have even paid any mind to the jewel gossip. Well, maybe some of the more greedy ones, but I sure as hell don’t care. Maybe I’ll get lucky and just stumble across whatever all the fuss is about one of these days. Ha. Fat chance.

Robert and Marie just walked in and invited me to a training session with them. It’ll be every man for himself. A three-way duel… I wonder if any of the authorities have thought of proposing that one day? I certainly hope I won’t be invited to participate.

Day 5

Just to clarify, the Underground Weapons Arena is not actually under the ground. It’s more like hidden from society, with special viewing access only to those who have an appetite for blood. Of course, it would be nice if the government stepped in and put an end to this insanity, but who knows what they’re up to these days. The last ambassador that got elected was a fat, pompous chap whose name started with a “g”… I think. Last I heard, the dude just sat in his high-backed office chair all day and ordered exotic foods from his personal chefs… all twenty-five of them. So basically the world is left to do whatever it so wishes, flitting from useless passion to mindless action, and it’s a miracle that whole cities haven’t been utterly consumed in the chaos of disorder.

What am I saying? I’ve found myself caught up in an organization birthed of the savage unbound will of the people. Perhaps it is only a matter of time until the UWA collapses like one inflicted with a merciless disease. Until then, there is only one thought foremost in my mind: survive.

Day 11

Hi everyone who reads this in the future! This is Marie Duentin and Thero just asked me to write some random whatever in here because he’s kind of in a lot of pain right now and can’t put anything down himself. Yeah, he actually had two duels in a row on the same day… poor guy. His right arm is broken and he’s been bruised up pretty bad, so he won’t be able to write for awhile. Anyways, he’ll get back to chronicling our experiences in this damned place after I tell him that it’s okay for him to write again. Toodles!
- Marie D.​

Day 21

Marie finally let me write again, heh. She can be feisty sometimes. To explain about the previous entry, I asked her to write something because I got pretty banged up in the back-to-back battles I had a few days ago. Definitely not something I want to do again, but it’s not like I have a choice.

Robert says he thinks he knows where the “priceless treasure” is hidden. We’re going to go check it out later tonight. Of course, we’re not allowed out of our barracks after ten ‘o clock, but what are rules made for anyways?

And besides, I think it’s all a big hoax… who in their right mind would hide riches where vagabonds like us could find them? But, I’m talking about Robert, and when he sets his mind to something, he’s very likely to see it through. I certainly hope we don’t get caught, though, because it will probably be all of our heads if we do.

Day 22

I can’t believe I’m writing this, but Robert was right!

We (Marie, Robert, Haque, and I) snuck out of our bunks around 12:30 last night, and suffice to say, most of us were doubtful if the adventure would prove successful. See, Robert had a hunch that the treasure, or whatever it was, was hidden on the mantelpiece above the massive fireplace in Boar Hall. Unfortunately for us, there were four guards who prowled the passageways leading to Boar Hall. They patrol the halls of the main building all night long to stop anyone who’s out late at night and to stop any escapees as well. I don’t know how we did it, but we slipped past all four of those guards and found ourselves staring up at the mantelpiece with a mixture of curiosity and wonder.

The next thing we had to figure out was how to get on the same level as the mantelpiece. The fireplace in Boar Hall is huge, a massive chunk carved out of the wall that’s easily several feet taller than me. We sat stumped for a while when Marie, who was acting as our lookout, suggested that we use some of the logs that are burned for firewood to construct a makeshift ladder. As crazy as it sounds, the idea worked, and Robert was soon rummaging around atop the mantelpiece. The thing is so wide I bet Robert could’ve sat on it if he wanted to. Anyways, Robert was still doing his thing when Marie waved a piece of white cloth up and down frantically, the signal that someone was coming. Robert jumped down from off the mantelpiece, we hurriedly adjusted the logs to make it look as though nothing had been touched, and we hightailed it back to our bunks as fast as we could.

When we got back without being caught a second time, we were relieved, but extremely out of breath. Every one of us turned our eyes to Robert, who was grinning from ear to ear like a stupid circus clown. “We’re rich!” he cried in an ecstatic whisper, holding out the treasure for us all to see.

It was a breathtakingly blood-red ruby, about the same size as Robert’s outstretched palm. He turned it slowly in the dim light of the room, allowing its facets to sparkle with deceptive beauty. It took a moment for the reality of our discovery to sink in. Marie, Robert and I were practically doing victory dances in our happiness, when Haque’s hushed voice put a stop to our excitement. “Well… what happens now?” he asked quietly, looking each of us in the eye. Marie stepped forward and suggested that we keep the ruby to ourselves and not let anyone know we found it. This plan was heartily agreed upon by all, but then we had to decide who had the task of guarding the gorgeous jewel. After the exchange of some very heated words between Robert, Haque and I, Marie abruptly snatched the ruby from Robert’s hands, called us all blooming idiots, and declared that she would hide the gem in her room. We stared after her dumbly as she stalked out of the room, throwing a haughty “goodnight” to us over her shoulder.

I guess that decides that.

Day 25

All of us have been on pins and needles the past three days. I’ve seen Robert jump at least five times today, mostly whenever someone calls his name, and my nerves aren’t much better. Marie seems to be the only one taking the discovery in stride, cheerfully hovering about whatever task she’s assigned herself to. None of us were on the battle list today, so we’re stuck with our anxiety for the rest of the afternoon.

Are the authorities holding out on us? I just realized about a minute ago that there are at least four or five video cameras installed in Boar Hall. So, somebody’s got to know we found the ruby, right? I mean, come on, are they really going to let us keep it? I figured that whoever found it was allowed a day or so of feeling self-accomplishment, and then the guards would show up and reveal the whole thing to be a hoax. Well, wait… what if the ruby is fake? What if no one has come to claim the gem because it’s just… not real? Robert would probably have a fit if that was the truth.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see what happens. This campaign ends in five days, so I’m sure that something or other will go down before the new escapade starts. Maybe even one of us will get killed. Heh, if we’re lucky.

Day 29

Still nothing about the ruby. I convinced Marie to let me keep the stone, just in case someone shows up for it. She doesn’t deserve to get hurt if finding the treasure prompts consequences.

I’ve been training with Haque lately. He actually came up to me and offered to help develop my skills, which was surprising. He probably found out how much I suck. Heh. He’s a big help, though. I thought he wouldn’t know anything about swords since he fights with needles, but on the contrary, the knowledge he’s sharing with me is astonishing. How to receive blows, how to determine what your opponent’s weaknesses are, when’s the best time to attack… Haque is amazing! I feel myself becoming more powerful: faster, smarter, etc. I think I’ll actually be ready to defend myself the next time my name ends up on the battle list.

It’s a relief after the abuse I’ve received on the butcher’s floor. Time to give as good as I get.

Day 30

The new campaign starts tomorrow. Thankfully, my squad doesn’t have to switch barracks this time, so I don’t have to worry about transporting the ruby to a new place. I’m rather proud of the secret nook where the jewel is hidden: a mousehole. It’s nothing special, but the hole is well concealed behind the only furniture my room has, my bed. I shoved a bunch of rocks in the entrance to the opening too, so at first glance it looks just like a part of the wall. If someone shows up and demands to have the ruby, I’m confident enough to let them search the room, just to put their mind at ease.

“Ruby…? What the hell are you talking about?”
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
XD So there's the second campaign, mates! Enjoy... and comments are appreciated.

Who Me?

I likes! That ruby thing was pretty random though...does it have significance later? Or can you even tell me your secrets!?

Essence of Elegy

How long shall you delve into time?
Awards
Your story has progressed moderately, but I can see that you still have a colorful cast of characters and nice structure for a plot. I saw no grammar mistakes and, most importantly, you make me want to read more still.

In order to make your story more interesting, I suggest throwing in some suspense and mystery, and later, plot twists. All it takes is knowing when to put it in.

Look forward to reading the next piece =D.

Andillexe

Awesome story. When you first mentioned the Shadow Diamond, I knew that he was going to find it somehow. But I'm still wondering if the ruby's gonna have some mystical power or something... Or maybe Thero and his friends are going to use it as collateral? 0.o So many possibilities and such a great story! =3 Keep writing. *anxiously awaits more*

Twilight_Path

^ Thank you for the comments, mates. I appreciate it.

Finally! It’s about freakin’ time I finished this part.

First off, I’d like to apologize for the wait. I had a bit of trouble with the change of point of view, but I think it’s come out rather smashingly. :3

So, without further ado, I’d like to present to you the campaign that I affectionately refer to as: “When Things Get Really Sexy”. (lol)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Segment 3: Crimson Bath Campaign

Day 1

So, the authorities (or whoever matches the combatants for the battle list) have created the face-off chart for the present campaign. About now’s when things get pretty heated up, because it’s time to separate the cream of the crop from the chaff. Battles take place rapid-fire, and the winners face the victors from the previous duels. It’s every man for himself now.

Haque’s got a battle this afternoon, and I told him I’d go see it. Hell, I’d be an idiot if I didn’t go to see at least one of Haque’s battles. Robert’s been to every one of them, and he always comes back with a look of awe on his face. Sure makes me eager to see what Haque can do when he’s put to it. I firmly believe he goes easy on me when we train together. I might bring this journal with me when I go to the butcher’s floor, just so I can give a literary eye-witness account of Haque’s battle. It’ll be worth the hassle of sneaking it in. There are guards at all five entrances to the butcher’s floor. I hear they weren’t always there, but ever since someone in the stands played assassin a couple campaigns back, the guards were posted to make sure the games were fair play for either combatant. Heh… fair. Anyways, they pat down all who wish to enter and become a part of the audience, just in case someone works up enough nerve to smuggle a poison dart or silenced handgun into the arena. Can’t let injustice prevail now, can we?

None of us have been bothered about the ruby. I suppose I’ve relaxed a bit on that subject, but I’m not about to just lay the gem on display somewhere. I suspect some of the duelists are still looking for the “treasure” since none of the higher-ups announced that the jewel has already been found. Ah well, let them search. It will give them a sense of purpose in their ill-fated lives.

Haque’s battle takes place in an hour, but I need to go run a few miles first. Got to keep myself up for when my turn comes around. I’ve been learning quite a few tricks with my claymore lately, all thanks to Haque. The kid’s a wonder.

††††

I managed to get into the butcher’s floor building without any trouble. I picked a seat farther away from everyone, and it’s got a decent view. I can see most of the arena, which is circular to prevent any of the duelists cowering in corners, and I also can see Haque’s stool. Each duelist is given a stool, which is taken out of the arena when the battle actually starts. If someone calls for a breather (every duelist only has two per battle), the stools are brought back into the circle and the combatants can take a seat. The break only lasts two minutes, so it’s not worth much if you’ve already been pretty beaten up.

Hang on, the announcer has made his first appearance. They change ‘em every couple of days or so… I don’t know why. Today’s version is called “Gavin.” The announcer’s job is to just give the intro for each of the duelists, and he also calls the game after affirming that one of the combatants has lost. ("Lost" usually means died.) Of course, there are some special cases to this… mainly me, but that’s not what I’m going to address right now.

And here come the duelists themselves. Haque’s getting introduced first. The announcer states your name, main weapon, and current status before stepping down and letting the announced take either applause or boos. For Haque, the reception is rather mixed. Heh, I see Marie in the stands across the building. She’s screaming for all she’s worth. Oh, and Robert is next to her, waving his hands in the air like a child on a carnival ride. They look like complete idiots…

Here comes Haque’s opponent… I can’t really tell who it is from here… oh wait…

Haque has to fight Berdy Wiles! He didn’t tell me that’s who it was; I didn’t care to look at the chart for today’s battles… Ah well, Wiles is a pushover. I kinda feel bad for Haque. He was looking forward to a challenge.

And now the duelists face each other and pay salute with their weapons. Strange… Haque is only holding two needles. He must be pretty confident about this fight. Wiles is practically slobbering with delight, dancing in place and whirling that mace around like a ballerina with a ribbon. He obviously doesn’t know Haque. Did I mention that the dunce got half the audience to give him a standing ovation? It makes me sick…

The starting horn just sounded. And they’re at it! Wiles is moving from side to side, eyeing Haque. Haque is doing a bit of the same thing, ducking and weaving and spinning his needles between the fingers on his right hand. It looks like they’re exchanging some words… can’t really tell what they’re saying from here… but it looks like Haque said something that really pissed Wiles. He’s charging at Haque, mace whirling so fast I can’t even see it. Haque hasn’t moved, I suspect he’s waiting for the brute to get closer before he busts a move… Haque twisted out of the way just in time. It looks like Wiles got the spiked ball of his weapon embedded in the far wall of the arena! Haque hasn’t made any move to attack; I think he’s taunting Wiles, giving him time to remove his mace from the wall… Holy crap! Wiles tore a whole chunk of the wall out, he pulled so hard! It’s stuck on the end of his weapon now... he’s spinning the thing so fast it’s only a blur… he’s coming back towards Haque and he sure looks angry. Haque’s ready, shifting back and forth in his low crouch… wait… I think he just threw one of his needles! Wiles is reeling… I think Haque got one of his eyes! (Ouch… sucks for him.) …Wiles just pulled the barb out of his eye socket in one go. I can see his eye on the end of the needle, glistening in the light of this place. There’s some pieces of whatever trailing from it… Wiles just threw the needle away from him and he’s watching Haque with his one good eye closely. Haque is moving again, striding several paces left; ah I see now. He’s got a small pouch protruding from underneath his coat… I got a pretty good look at it since he’s facing away from me now. That’s probably where he keeps his needles… What?! Wiles just pulled one of the spikes off his mace… now he’s whirling the ball and chain in the air again… I don’t think Haque noticed Wiles’ removal of the spike. Hmm… they’re circling each other again… Wiles just went in for the attack, spinning a 360, I can hear his weapon whistling through the air from here… Haque is getting ready to duck under the mace… oh damn. Wiles just nailed Haque with the spike he took off his ball and chain earlier…! Wiles is in the way I can’t see very well! No wait… he just got Haque’s shoulder… aw crap it’s his right shoulder… I don’t know if he can fight with his left. Haque’s stumbling backwards, clutching his wounded arm… Wiles just laughed out loud… what a horrid noise… Hang on a second… Haque’s got that look on his face… I think he’s about ready to finish things… What the hell? Holy crap I didn’t even see that! Wait a minute… what just happened…? Wiles is on the ground… I think he’s dead… Haque’s grinning (more like grimacing.) Oh snap Haque just collapsed I’ll finish this later!

Day 2

Haque got lucky, I suppose. Wiles’ attack broke his collarbone. He’s in a lot of pain, but the meds say he’ll live. He’s sleeping right now, under the influence of some trional (a sleep-inducing drug.) I was surprised when the med team actually took him in for examining. If they think a duelist is beyond repair, they’ll just leave them to whatever fate their wounds have predestined for them. It’s a miracle Haque just got nailed in the shoulder… I overheard one of the meds say that if the blow had been any lower the poor kid would’ve bled out. Dame Fortune certainly has a thing for Haque.

I’m not sure which of us is next. Robert just ran to take a look at the standings board. I know several duels took place yesterday, besides Haque’s, so there’ll be combatants moving up in the ranks. Hang on, I hear Rob pounding up the corridor like a freight train… no doubt he’ll be itching to give Marie and I the good news…

Hmm, looks like the next lucky winner is… me.

Day 5

It’s been awhile since I’ve written anything down, so here’s the scoop. There are six battles taking place today. I’d list the pairs of duelists, but I don’t really have time to do that now. Basically, out of the twelve combatants, six will advance. I’ll be fighting one of those six in the series of battles going down tomorrow. The reason I haven’t been writing is the simple fact that I’ve been training like hell for the past couple of days. Since Haque is indisposed, Robert and Marie have been helping me straighten out any problems I’ve been having in attack flow and retaliation. To be honest, I’m moderately confident that I might win my duel tomorrow. Of course, it depends on my opponent… or does it? Truly, a swordsman ought to be prepared for whatever assailant comes his or her way. In any battle, outside circumstances or likely statistics should not decide the outcome of my performance. I will strive to hold steady to this belief when my newly learned abilities are put to the test tomorrow. In case I don’t make it, here’s to the only people who have chosen to befriend me in this hellhole. Thanks a ton, mates. You’ve taught me a bunch, and I doubt I’ll ever be able to express my gratitude towards you all. Perhaps my life has not been the best of experiences, but it’s been all the better because of your influences. My sword tipped to you all.

Day 6

Believe it or not, I won my duel yesterday. I was going to have Robert chronicle it, but, seeing as he forgot the journal back in our barracks, it went on without voice. Wasn’t much, though. I fought some random person I’ve never seen before… dude was covered in armor and wielded a double-bladed battle axe. Not fun. He almost got me a couple of times, but I suppose that being covered in steel from head to toe makes one rather slow and cumbersome.

Robert’s mad at me because I didn’t kill my opponent in the battle yesterday. I don’t know why, I just… couldn’t do it. It was a rather cynical moment for me. When I knocked off the guy’s helmet with a backhand thrust at his chin, the look on his face… it was so desperate, so pleading… it reminded me of all the times I’d been spared, so I lowered my blade. It’s very likely that the armored fighter was killed under direct order by the authorities, but at least his blood was not on my hands.

Day 8

It’s Marie’s turn tomorrow. To be honest, I’m rather relieved that I’m through for this round, but I also have to admit that I’m worried for Marie. Not that she doesn’t fight well, I just… you know. I don’t want her to get hurt. I helped her a bit with her skills today, and she told me she feels pretty confident, but she had that look in her eyes that she always gets when she’s troubled about something. I hope things go well for her tomorrow.

Something else happened today that is probably worth mentioning. When I went down to Boar Hall for breakfast this morning, everything seemed pretty normal. I got what I usually eat (a biscuit and a bottle of water) and I sat down at the same table I’ve ate at for the entire time I’ve been recruited. Halfway through my meal, I just got that feeling that someone was watching me. A quick glance around the hall revealed that everyone was involved in their own conversations. Just as I was about to go back to my food, I noticed that someone was standing in the shadow cast by the broken light fixture that hangs in front of the entrance to Boar Hall. I barely noticed the guy because he was dressed all in black, but there was like a malevolence radiating from the area where the dude was skulking. It seemed that some of the others in the hall noticed the feeling too, because people seemed to generally avoid using that doorway to leave and go about their business. I stared at the stranger and he stared at me, and then he shook his head indignantly and walked out. I’m sure it’ll turn out just to be some gay idiot who had nothing else to do but watch me eat, but who knows? Better safe than sorry.

I’m sneaking the journal into the butcher’s floor for Marie’s fight. Robert’s staying with Haque while he heals, so it’ll just be me watching the duel, which is okay. We’ve all got to stick up for each other in this damned place.

Day 9

For some reason, the set of match ups that were scheduled for today have been postponed. The notice that was posted on the announcement board this morning said that the delay was because someone trashed the butcher’s floor last night, but I overheard some guys saying that one of the duelists who was supposed to compete in the battles today was found dead in the stands last night. Individual rivalry, no doubt; some people just don’t know how to control themselves.

Marie and I are going to go mock-duel each other out on the practice fields. We’re both a hundred percent sure that the regular battle schedule will resume tomorrow, and that means Marie is on. Unfortunately, she has no idea who she’s fighting, and it’s not like I have a clue either. We’ll just have to see when it comes up. And it’s like… I don’t know why, but I just feel like something is going to go wrong. …Whatever. We’ll see.

Day 10

I got into the arena again without trouble. Apparently, over half the duelists of the UWA desire to see this duel, so it was easy for me to slip past the guards unnoticed; though, the simple fact that all these people want to see this fight rather unnerves me. I couldn’t sleep last night, even though Marie was acting so confident that she participated in some of Robert’s jokes over dinner (which she rarely ever does.) It’s just that… this feeling, this nervous upset that only surfaces when those one feels most attached to are in danger, has been gnawing away at me ever since I first found out Marie was next up on the standings board. I understand that this inner tension may be unnecessary, but I will still be wary.

Speak of the devil… here she comes now (they’re doing the duelist intros.) To be honest, I’ve never seen the butcher’s floor so packed. Most of the spectators are those burly, battle-hardened dudes who are shrouded in mystery and awe and have achieved so high a rank they’re practically labeled gods. I don’t know why they even care… is Marie well-known in the Elite Blade circles? Oh well, it’s no use worrying about it now, because here comes her opponent. Let’s see what’s behind door number two…

Dammit! It’s Vyra Graiden! I… I never thought… how could they do that?! Marie never did anything! That’s not fair! The entire audience has erupted into shouts and cheers; I see why they came now. They wanted to see Vyra… bloody hell, I’m so pissed. Whip that whore, Marie.

Hold on, I’m so angry my arms are shaking. The announcer is still trying to calm the spectators down. Oh gosh… Marie’s face… She looks like she just watched her parents get murdered. Wait, she’s mouthing something at me… She says, “I’m not gonna make it.” Give me a second, I need to stand up and cheer for her–

I think Marie has gathered herself now. She gave me a nod; damn, I hate this like you have no idea. The announcer is about to give the starting call… yeah, the horn just went off. I just, I don’t think I should write all the details of this duel because something tells me I should be paying attention. I’ll write down the outcome later… I hope it’s a good one.

††††

I did it, and damn, I don’t regret a thing. There’s not much time; I’m sure someone is coming to get me. To make a long and painful story short, Vyra cheated, and Marie was about to get killed, but I… I jumped into the arena and stopped that slut from giving the final blow. At least half of the audience in the stands suffered heart attacks, I’m sure. Marie and I managed to get out of the calamity that followed my interruption, but I have no doubt in my mind that the authorities already know what I’ve done, and they’re probably not too happy about it. I’m going to hide this journal in the hole with the ruby, so

The wooden door of Thero’s room flew off its hinges with a tremendous splintering crash. Six fully fledged, heavily armored guards stormed into the room, rifles bristling. Thero calmly backed into the far corner of his barrack, shoving his journal into its hiding place with one hand and lightly grasping the hilt of his claymore with the other.

“Gentlemen! And to whom do I owe the pleasure of this visit?” The cocky youth fixed his gaze upon the foremost guard in the room, who was easily six feet tall and had an intimidating bulldog-like scowl to boot. The ripped soldier took one pace forward and lowered the barrel of his gun so it was on the same level as Thero’s forehead. Sneering, the guard pushed the nose of his rifle roughly against the teenager’s skull.

“Shut up, brat. If you knew what was best for ya, you’d be on your knees whimpering like a ninny right now.”

Thero gave a soft laugh. “I hate to be a disappointment,” he replied, baring his teeth in a wolfish grin.

The guard faked a smile and withdrew his weapon, turning on his heel to face the rectangular entrance to the small space. Suddenly, he whirled back around with blurring speed, the butt of his rifle aimed precisely at Thero. Welded timber and plastic met the boy’s temple, and the last thing Thero remembered before passing out was the rough laughter of the guards, and a single word that rang throughout his failing consciousness with stunning clarity:

“Dead.”

---------------------------------------------------------

Liek OMG CLIFFHANGER! (And in case you didn't realize, the font change marks the shift from first-person to third-person point of view. I couldn't take it anymore... battles in first person? NO!!!) So comment please and I hope ya'll enjoyed it. :D

Andillexe

Cliffhanger? What? Why must you torture me? Great campaign, and I thought the transition from first to third was good. Can't wait to see what happens next!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back