• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

What Inspires You?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Okay, that's not going to work. >.<' You know, forget that idea.. I don't know why I even came that one up.
Hey, don't be discouraged, if you have any ideas, just spout bullshit and see what sticks. The more ideas the merrier in this situation because tbh I'm tired of seeing WE SHOULD HAVE CONTESTS and then we do a contest and only two people actually legit enter...

Really, how DO we attract newcomers? Contests and fun threads can only lure in so many for so long...Any more ideas?
We're asking you and from my experience, they haven't.

We need things that really work, things that push people not only to ENTER but to actually WRITE.
This is I guess the thread to shout those solutions out. I am not anti-contest, just kind of sad with how things go during them.

SorasTwilight

Website
www.youravon.com
I would love to see this forum more advertised on the main page. Like having a favorite piece of the month of kind a thing for KHInsider. It'll bring people in to read it and let them know that this section does really exist.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I would love to see this forum more advertised on the main page. Like having a favorite piece of the month of kind a thing for KHInsider. It'll bring people in to read it and let them know that this section does really exist.
That would be nice, but what would we do for chapters? And lengthy writing in general? Even poems can take up space.

For the record I'm not trying to disagree with everything, I just want things to be discussed and elaborated is all.
It's a lot harder to feature writing GENERALLY SPEAKING compared to a tag or a banner or an avatar or even art in general from the creative media section, people can look at it, say NEAT and move on in 5 seconds, whereas writing... it gets trickier.

SRKTAVRXAYGDM

Awards
Maybe an author of the week type thing? Completely randomized, of course, but just the name of the writer and what they've written. Something like that.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
What Inspired Me:

A lot of it had to do with music. I can picture scenes taking place and wanting to write about it. This hasn't changed in the pass few years. I was actually partially drawn to the site because, I was looking for fan fiction about SKR. I wanted it to be based around a school setting, with certain pairings and nothing to do with original characters. Of course, I don't mind original characters now. I also loved comedy and I discovered Mikoto-Cat's stories. I fell in love with her two fan-fics and didn't want it to end. After some time, I started to write my own stories that were Naruto related because, I wanted more variety. It was fun, I got to show my stories off and I got feedback. Even if they weren't good.

CW vs Fanfiction.net:

This is a problem. We don't have enough people searching the creative writing section for stories on kingdom hearts anymore. Not when you have a site that has over a hundred of them, the rating being higher than PG-13 and pairings are a free for all. To be honest, people have also lost faith in kingdom hearts for awhile when, news was scarce and not enough people kept their love for the series. It'd be hard now to talk people into writing about the series when, they rather play the games and wait for the next game. Instead of turning theories into stories like they used to.

Change is Rising:

I don't think a contest is gonna work anymore. We need something completely new and fresh. Nothing I throw out is gonna be awe inspiring but, I'll try to throw in ideas. C:

Ideas:

*One-Shots with different pairings every week.
*Polls about what pairings people would like to see written together.
*Advertising Five Hot Topic Stories on the main page.
*Theme based stories. [Like a change of locations.]
*Cross overs
*Variety of Fandoms.
*A to Z stories
*Character of the Month.
*Gender Bender
*Character Deaths
*Female Hero in the next Saga

Last edited:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
*One-Shots with different pairings every week.
*Polls about what pairings people would like to see written together.
*Advertising Five Hot Topic Stories on the main page.
*Theme based stories. [Like a change of locations.]
*Cross overs
*Variety of Fandoms.
*A to Z stories
*Character of the Month.
*Gender Bender
*Character Deaths
*Female Hero in the next Saga
1. This could be fun.
2. This could be used for finding out 1.
3. What would we do with this? Could you elaborate?
4. This could be good. Some people work well with character based stories with situations, some people do better exploring a setting. It'd be good to go through both so people can discover what they're comfortable with and also just go free with it.
5. This could be fun.
6. Not sure what you mean by this? What exactly would this be?
7. Same. Not sure what this is.
8. Would this be original characters made by writers here, or canon characters from stuff? And regardless of which one it is, would it be just sharing our thoughts and feelings about how the characters are written?
9. Alright I'm going to get a bit ranty, because I'm a little confused.

Thing about Gender bending is that it works as a visual thing, like for fanart, but as writing, nothing SHOULD change. It becomes weak writing [in my personal opinion] because flipping everyone would have them acting the same, so what's the point? For example, Mikasa from Attack on Titan, female or male, would still be motherly and protective, she would just instead be male. It's just unnecessary to me in writing. People still kinda fuck up genderbending in the visual way too, basically having the same design for the male but less clothing and more cleavage.
Basically it kinda gets sexist?

I'm not really sure what you were meaning with this idea, but this is just my 2 cents on the general idea of writing genderbend fics.
10. What would this be?
11. Same as 10.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Number 3.

Do any of you remember when, the main page used to select five popular topics for people to look at? Like they'd show what theories people were spectating about, favorite characters and ect...? This was probably around the time Birth By Sleep was being revealed. I want something like that to show off what one-shots we're making. We really need people to show feedback as well.

Number 6.

I know this is a kingdom hearts site and all. Wouldn't it be good to write about other things we like? Something like Legend of Korra for example. Tons of fans are out there. I don't think it'd hurt to try to find things we like and show them off too. Writing aboutnkingdom hearts all the time would get somewhat stale.

Number 7.

I was mostly thinking of a thread that could use the letters of an alphabet to create a story.

Like for example: Anarchy was everywhere. People were fleeing in the streets as I watched the city go up in flames. I took up the keyblade, flinging it forward and vanquishing some heartless.

Then you'd use the letter B to start the next story. Does that make sense? It wouldn't have to be super long either. Something fun to do, I guess. Optional for non canon or canon characters.

Number 8.

I was mostly thinking of writing up stories about that character for a whole month. You knew there are supposively birthdays for each member of the Org XIII right? I was thinking something along the lines of that but, instead for a month. It could be original or canon characters. It didn't matter what form of writing it was. Long as it was about that character in general.

Number 9.

You bring out some good vaild points why it'd be a bad idea. I was mostly thinking it'd be an interesting take on canon characters. Some of it could be quite funny if the person does it right.

Number 10.

I thought it'd be fun to write about how canon or non canon characters died. I don't know how many of you ever seen my two-shot story about Kairi. Where Sora and Riku went to find Xehanort and they both die. Leaving Kairi to take up the keyblade. A fun situation to put characters into and seeing the results of what happens. Something I kind of threw out there off the top of my head.

Number 11.

I made a mistake. I should of said "Saga". With theories floating around about what the next saga of kingdom hearts could be about; Why not write it ourselves? We may not know anything about it but, it'd be something new and refreshing to write about.

----

Hopefully that answers everything. C:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Do any of you remember when, the main page used to select five popular topics for people to look at? Like they'd show what theories people were spectating about, favorite characters and ect...? This was probably around the time Birth By Sleep was being revealed. I want something like that to show off what one-shots we're making. We really need people to show feedback as well.
Oh okay, but I'm unsure how this could be set up unless there was a thing for the Creative section in general. I like the sound of it I just don't know how it would be so specific to one shots and short stories since I'm pretty sure those threads were featured automatically by activity.
I know this is a kingdom hearts site and all. Wouldn't it be good to write about other things we like? Something like Legend of Korra for example. Tons of fans are out there. I don't think it'd hurt to try to find things we like and show them off too. Writing aboutnkingdom hearts all the time would get somewhat stale.
This has been said for years: Just because this is a KH/FF forum you can write about other things. Literally the only limit to fanfiction on this site is no M ratings and even then. This shoooould go without saying but it still gets asked. u_u"
I was mostly thinking of a thread that could use the letters of an alphabet to create a story.

Like for example: Anarchy was everywhere. People were fleeing in the streets as I watched the city go up in flames. I took up the keyblade, flinging it forward and vanquishing some heartless.

Then you'd use the letter B to start the next story. Does that make sense? It wouldn't have to be super long either. Something fun to do, I guess. Optional for non canon or canon characters.
Oh okay I see now. Would it be just a back and forth thread each letter and continuing until Z and probably starting over at A then?
I was mostly thinking of writing up stories about that character for a whole month. You knew there are supposively birthdays for each member of the Org XIII right? I was thinking something along the lines of that but, instead for a month. It could be original or canon characters. It didn't matter what form of writing it was. Long as it was about that character in general.
I see now a little. Featuring a character could be nice, and it would be good to expand maybe occasionally to mix it up to FF characters and other fandoms.
You bring out some good vaild points why it'd be a bad idea. I was mostly thinking it'd be an interesting take on canon characters. Some of it could be quite funny if the person does it right.
Yeah I'm just not a fan of the mechanic. Oh Sora woke up and he has tits now WHAT WILL HAPPEN

he'll be harassed, become a plot device, and everyone will fall in love with him
yawnyawn there are more interesting prompts and ideas to what you could do with a story and genderbending just bugs the hell outta me.
I thought it'd be fun to write about how canon or non canon characters died. I don't know how many of you ever seen my two-shot story about Kairi. Where Sora and Riku went to find Xehanort and they both die. Leaving Kairi to take up the keyblade. A fun situation to put characters into and seeing the results of what happens. Something I kind of threw out there off the top of my head.
well that's dark D:
but, i have not seen it [lazylazy]

So basically just the concept of "what if our heroes didn't succeed?" kind of thing? This could be very interesting.
I made a mistake. I should of said "Saga". With theories floating around about what the next saga of kingdom hearts could be about; Why not write it ourselves? We may not know anything about it but, it'd be something new and refreshing to write about.

I didn't even know there was a new female protag? @n@ But yes, writing about the new series is definitely encouraged. Plus with 1.5 out now, people are feeling super nostalgic so hopefully it'll get the ball rolling on that.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
Oh okay, but I'm unsure how this could be set up unless there was a thing for the Creative section in general. I like the sound of it I just don't know how it would be so specific to one shots and short stories since I'm pretty sure those threads were featured automatically by activity.

Something we'd have to ask the mods about.

Activity is the really major issue that we're gonna have to fix if, we're gonna want people to notice us. Of course, most people were to lazy to review other people's work. So, I have no idea how we can get that to change.

This has been said for years: Just because this is a KH/FF forum you can write about other things. Literally the only limit to fanfiction on this site is no M ratings and even then. This shoooould go without saying but it still gets asked. u_u"

Haha I remember asking you that when I first showed up on the forum. We could always put something in bold to keep more people from asking the same question over and over?

Oh okay I see now. Would it be just a back and forth thread each letter and continuing until Z and probably starting over at A then?

Yup. That's the idea. I'm not entirely sure how many people would go for it but, it'd be different and new.

Yeah I'm just not a fan of the mechanic. Oh Sora woke up and he has tits now WHAT WILL HAPPEN
he'll be harassed, become a plot device, and everyone will fall in love with him
yawnyawn there are more interesting prompts and ideas to what you could do with a story and genderbending just bugs the hell outta me.

I haven't read many genderbending stories. It's not really my thing either but, okay.

A really popular story would be turning the characters into cats and having them arrive on someone's doorstep. I've seen it done so many times and very few people pulled it off well.

Or there's someone making a wish and the characters just randomly appear with some backing up on how the wish took place and ect...

^ I actually been planning on writing something like that but, I get to distracted by everything else to do it. If only I could take back the days I wasted.

well that's dark D:
but, i have not seen it [lazylazy]

So basically just the concept of "what if our heroes didn't succeed?" kind of thing? This could be very interesting.

Indeed it is. :D
Thats alright.

Exactly. It was a lot of fun to write out such a scenario.

I'll admit, I could of kept it rolling. Had I not been lazy myself.

I didn't even know there was a new female protag? @n@ But yes, writing about the new series is definitely encouraged. Plus with 1.5 out now, people are feeling super nostalgic so hopefully it'll get the ball rolling on that.

There isn't a new female protagonist. Mostly wishful thinking on my part and I let myself get carried away. lol. Although there are theories on a "what if it was female antagonist" floating around. Things people would like to see in the new saga as well.

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Something we'd have to ask the mods about.

Activity is the really major issue that we're gonna have to fix if, we're gonna want people to notice us. Of course, most people were to lazy to review other people's work. So, I have no idea how we can get that to change.
The critique group works well, but due to inactivity it sort of died.
Haha I remember asking you that when I first showed up on the forum. We could always put something in bold to keep more people from asking the same question over and over?
There already is.

A really popular story would be turning the characters into cats and having them arrive on someone's doorstep. I've seen it done so many times and very few people pulled it off well.

Or there's someone making a wish and the characters just randomly appear with some backing up on how the wish took place and ect...

^ I actually been planning on writing something like that but, I get to distracted by everything else to do it. If only I could take back the days I wasted.
Oh hey I helped a friend write an FMA one like the 2nd one. It was fun. Yeah those are definitely a lot more fun to write.

There isn't a new female protagonist. Mostly wishful thinking on my part and I let myself get carried away. lol. Although there are theories on a "what if it was female antagonist" floating around. Things people would like to see in the new saga as well.
sounds like someone has a writing idea of her own o3o

Last edited:

Ðari

Look at you, armor-less
Staff member
Awards
When I'm not writing god awful post in the free-style rap thread, I actually compose i think to be very deep rooted and artistic elements of poetry.

What inspires me? Try any one of Cage The Elephant's songs, bought their new album on release and spiraled into a psychedelic coma that I just snapped out of this morning lol.

Hidden

A boy named Crow
Awards
Website
www.freewebs.com
I agree with Annoyance and a few other posters here that feedback is hugely motivating, especially critical feedback (by which I mean feedback that really engages the writing and discusses it). To put up a piece of writing and receive no response is a bit like shouting into a void—even an echo ("Good job!") would be reassuring, but what you're really looking for is a dialogue. I thought Annoyance's "Critique Request Thread" worked well for that, but, as she said, it fell dormant due to lack of time. It takes a lot of time and effort to write a good critique.

That said, I think the lack of time was on the part of the “critics”, not the writers; it seemed like there was no shortage of works being submitted, and critics developed a long backlist (OmniChaos still has an outstanding request). No fault to the critics—again, it takes a lot of time and effort to write a good critique. But, if there were members with the time and devotion to start that up again, I suspect it would encourage more (and better) writing for as long as it is maintained; even if we run into the old problem of critics not being able to answer all their requests, that at least answers (to some degree) the problem of inactivity.

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
I agree with Annoyance and a few other posters here that feedback is hugely motivating, especially critical feedback (by which I mean feedback that really engages the writing and discusses it). To put up a piece of writing and receive no response is a bit like shouting into a void—even an echo ("Good job!") would be reassuring, but what you're really looking for is a dialogue. I thought Annoyance's "Critique Request Thread" worked well for that, but, as she said, it fell dormant due to lack of time. It takes a lot of time and effort to write a good critique.

That said, I think the lack of time was on the part of the “critics”, not the writers; it seemed like there was no shortage of works being submitted, and critics developed a long backlist (OmniChaos still has an outstanding request). No fault to the critics—again, it takes a lot of time and effort to write a good critique. But, if there were members with the time and devotion to start that up again, I suspect it would encourage more (and better) writing for as long as it is maintained; even if we run into the old problem of critics not being able to answer all their requests, that at least answers (to some degree) the problem of inactivity.

I know feedback is extremely important. The problem is that despite the stories being viewed; nobody gives it the time to provide small amounts of feedback. I'd like to make it a mandatory thing. Where, if you read it, you review it. Although, I'm not sure how many people would listen to me, but, I'll try. [Something I'll be looking into later.]

You do bring up a good point. I noticed a lot of old threads had quite a few members wanting their work critiqued and looked at. [Although, that's like months back. Way before I became a mod.] In all honesty, I'd love to give people some feedback on their stories. But, I need more to go on. If it's too short, I can't really say much more then; pointing out spelling and grammar mistakes, letting them know what I think of it and ect. To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with the length and content of any story. However, its like you pointed out: It's all about the time we have and creating worthy discussions, out of those stories. [Which i'm trying to do now as we speak.]

There is another issue: When nobody reviews a story, this disheartens the person who writes it, and leads them to quitting entirely. With that said, I cannot always be on twenty four seven to give well deserved feedback. I need people other than myself to think about the time a person puts into writing a story and giving it a review. Believe me, I know how it feels to get feedback or none at all.

If you strongly believe, creating a new critique thread; will not only bring new people in, but also, encouraging them to write again, then I'll start up a new critique thread request in both the, general section and fan fiction section.

Last edited:

Passion

Silver Member
Awards
go for it. i'll definitely critique again seeing how HS life is no longer an issue, plus I stay up waaaaayy too late for my own good nowadays.

tbh, i stopped writing for a LONG while because i started posting fan-fictions that weren't KH related and I just never got any feedback so my fic couldn't even stay on the first two pages for very long

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I know feedback is extremely important. The problem is that despite the stories being viewed; nobody gives it the time to provide small amounts of feedback. I'd like to make it a mandatory thing. Where, if you read it, you review it. Although, I'm not sure how many people would listen to me, but, I'll try. [Something I'll be looking into later.]
This won't happen and will only make opinions forced, and there's absolutely no way to enforce this.
You do bring up a good point. I noticed a lot of old threads had quite a few members wanting their work critiqued and looked at. [Although, that's like months back. Way before I became a mod.] In all honesty, I'd love to give people some feedback on their stories. But, I need more to go on. If it's too short, I can't really say much more then; pointing out spelling and grammar mistakes, letting them know what I think of it and ect. To be honest, I'm perfectly fine with the length and content of any story. However, its like you pointed out: It's all about the time we have and creating worthy discussions, out of those stories. [Which i'm trying to do now as we speak.]
I'm personally awful at giving feedback on poetry, but with short stories and the like, I get kind of intense, to the point where I mailed Aqua's request to her personally because I had so many notes to make that typing would take up 20x the amount it did just writing the comments down on paper. This is my dilemma with critique. I go through every aspect; I edit and give comments at the same time.
There is another issue: When nobody reviews a story, this disheartens the person who writes it, and leads them to quitting entirely. With that said, I cannot always be on twenty four seven to give well deserved feedback. I need people other than myself to think about the time a person puts into writing a story and giving it a review. Believe me, I know how it feels to get feedback or none at all.
Samesies. Maybe we could have everyone post their story as a poll thread and have a thumbs up, thumbs down, kinda thing? D: That way they know people at least read it maybe.
If you strongly believe, creating a new critique thread; will not only bring new people in, but also, encouraging them to write again, then I'll start up a new critique thread request in both the, general section and fan fiction section.
That isn't necessary for two sections, it can be an overall and poetry still needs feedback. :eek: That's my only 2 cents on you makin' it. I really want to help out with critique and maybe I'll be able to, but right now work hasn't let me sit down to even check my town in Animal Crossing let alone fully critique to my liking. :c

KingdomKey

Queen
Awards
This won't happen and will only make opinions forced, and there's absolutely no way to enforce this.

Yeah. I got ahead of myself on that.

I'm personally awful at giving feedback on poetry, but with short stories and the like, I get kind of intense, to the point where I mailed Aqua's request to her personally because I had so many notes to make that typing would take up 20x the amount it did just writing the comments down on paper. This is my dilemma with critique. I go through every aspect; I edit and give comments at the same time.

I wish there was a way to make it easier for you to critique, Annoyance. :3 Maybe dividing up the work on a single story could work? Like for ex: one person comments while the other person goes over editing it.

Samesies. Maybe we could have everyone post their story as a poll thread and have a thumbs up, thumbs down, kinda thing? D: That way they know people at least read it maybe.

This could actually work. We just need to get the word out, that they need to create polls in order to know what people thought of it. So, those who don't want to put a review in actual words can simply vote on it.

That isn't necessary for two sections, it can be an overall and poetry still needs feedback. :eek: That's my only 2 cents on you makin' it. I really want to help out with critique and maybe I'll be able to, but right now work hasn't let me sit down to even check my town in Animal Crossing let alone fully critique to my liking. :c

Mind pointing out which threads in the poetry section needs feedback? :3 Take your time. I know there will be others to help critique in the mean time.

go for it. i'll definitely critique again seeing how HS life is no longer an issue, plus I stay up waaaaayy too late for my own good nowadays.

tbh, i stopped writing for a LONG while because i started posting fan-fictions that weren't KH related and I just never got any feedback so my fic couldn't even stay on the first two pages for very long

Alright. I'll have it up and running; since I have some time on my hands now.

I plan on changing that. C:

Annoyance

Silver Member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Keep in mind with the poll thing this could encourage NO comments and just voting. :C gotta be careful.

As for the poetry, any and literally all of it. (Just not by me because I'm useless)

And for splitting it up, ehhhhhh...
I think I need to just calm down with the in depth stuff, just focus on the pulp of the writing rather than the entire thing. It is time consuming and only so many people truly benefit from it being so intense. I'm at the point where if I do it, I want to ask for hourly pay (I will not ask this of people this is slightly a joke).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back