• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Why I think Dream Drop Distance was bad for Kingdom Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I see your point. The thing is whenever I go on gaming websites and read reviews for kh games they always complain about this stuff. Every time I wonder 'how could we fix this for them.' then again they also usually like to call kh a lame dumb down ff game full of gays which shows how much they know. You have no place in my perfect world if you don't like kingdom hearts.

Of topic but how do you respond to someone's message with quotes from older posts in it. The things where it's in a little box and says 'originally posted by what's-his-face'

Gaming websites tend to be not as objective as they once used to be. Another issue is surely that many "mainstream/casual" gamers nowadays are really unwilling to put some more effort into stuff. Add on top of that the general favoritism to western games and dumb shooters and you know why I tend to avoid gaming sites in general.
It shows not only "how much they know" but also how mentally challenged they are if they really writing it that way which I doubt by the way.
The actual gaming sites are normally a bit more professional and such statements like you gave above I would actually suspect to be in comments, and those can be safely ignored because there are often some people roaming about who just want to troll.
Nomura and co can try and fixing as much as they want, they will never win over a dedicated hater.

If you want to quote just one, you go to that post and click on "Reply with quote" at the bottom of the post in question.
If you wanna do several it is a bit more tricky. Right beside "Reply with quote" there's another small button with a "+"-sign. Click there and it shows a check-mark, indicating that post as being marked for reference. Do this with all posts you want to respond to and then click the "Reply to thread" at the very bottom of the page. It then should result in a Multi-quote.

Happyfunshineman

Awards
Vəntus;5951538 said:
DDD was in no way bad for the series.

ok, ok I admit some of my views were extreme, however it got me the reactions and opinions I wanted to see. Its sort of a way to ease my mind. Sure I might not like DDD as much as some of the other games but when I hear people defend it with such passion it makes me feel better about everything.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Vəntus;5951538 said:
I don't see why they just can't use the memoirs/mementos to put people up to date and why people are asking for videos and stuff ingame. DDD was in no way bad for the series.

Because people dont read things in games. They want to see; not imagine or hear.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
What, but everyone loved the datalogue in Final Fantasy XIII!

...Right?

...R-Right?

tumblr_mfrgi5QyIC1qbet8eo1_400.gif

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
Dont tell me. I already got a PS3. :p

I was referring to people who skipped over the Ansem Reports thinking they're not worth it, or just didnt get around to it. Same happens for FFXIII Datalogs and Assassin's Creed Databases.

Taochan

Administrator
Staff member
Awards
Dont tell me. I already got a PS3. :p

I was referring to people who skipped over the Ansem Reports thinking they're not worth it, or just didnt get around to it. Same happens for FFXIII Datalogs and Assassin's Creed Databases.
The Reports are hardly as tedious to read as the Datalogs.

Gexus

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
The Ansem/Xehanort Reports are fewer and more special. The Datalogs (Datalogues?) in FFXIII are way too many and long and they're the only means of actually explaining anything at all in the story, which is a terribly stupid idea on behalf of SE.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
The datalogs in FFXIII were mostly lore info dumps from what I recall. Anything that was story-related was more-or-less background information save for the one regarding the characters that kept being updated. You probably could still follow the story without reading them.

Naturally, they're going to contain more information than summaries of the events in a game. It's been a long while since I've played the game though, so someone correct if they were crucial in some way.

Hillboy

MIA
Awards
I don't know why people think they are obligated to hold your hand through the rest of the plot. They didn't have to even make an HD Remix for the newcomers! And honestly "People don't want to read in games" I think you are severely underestimating the intelligence of KH's general audience

PhantomSoD

It seems like a lot of the complaints coming about the "convoluted story" are actually answered in the game if people would just bother to look. In the OP for example: love or hate the time travel theme (i personally don't mind it since it was given enough limitations to not make it abusable) they explained in game how Xeanhort got into their dreams. Sora and Riku were sent back to the day they first left the island where xeanhort placed himself so he could jump into the RoS with them. Not to mention all of the X-blade stuff and Xeanhorts reasoning for doing what he does have been thoroughly foreshadowed and explained between the story and the secret reports throughout the series.

As for the gameplay, I liked 3D the best out of the series. Albeit I would've rather had disney characters in my party, the dream eaters were a cool addition and I enjoyed crafting my lineup for both Sora and Riku. The flowmotion in my opinion was balanced, easy to use and just fun to play with even in open spaces. (would not have been able to beat YMX without it :p) But, I guess you just can't please everyone.

ajmrowland

Keyblade Master
Awards
it's not that it's not explained in game. It's just not done in a manner that makes it clear. for example, if before all the tutorials we were to see all those flashback lectures Yen Sid gives, we'd have a much clearer idea about the scenario at Destiny Islands.

As for Xehanort's plot, it's convoluted not just because it adds that much into the series without warning, but because it's crammed into the ending and not spread out evenly. There's no way they really couldnt've done that without spoiling the major revelations in this game, as there's already some form of conversation in most worlds with the baddies teasing the heroes. but instead, they decide to burden what is otherwise a pretty good climax with all these details that after my first playthrough, left me not knowing which way was up.

PhantomSoD

true. there was a lot thrown at us at once, and I admittedly had to look up a few plot points myself. I was just pointing out that the info was given. That seems to be a flaw with a lot of final fantasy type games that try to create an all encompassing universe. Since the creators are developing the rules as they go, all we can really do is hope they don't start making contradictions with previously given info.

also on my time travel comment, I actually just remembered that there have been time manipulation magic attacks in KH before MF and 3D. So time travel wasn't entirely out of the realm of possibility before these games either.

Zephyr

Memory of Melodies
Staff member
Awards
it's not that it's not explained in game. It's just not done in a manner that makes it clear. for example, if before all the tutorials we were to see all those flashback lectures Yen Sid gives, we'd have a much clearer idea about the scenario at Destiny Islands.

As for Xehanort's plot, it's convoluted not just because it adds that much into the series without warning, but because it's crammed into the ending and not spread out evenly. There's no way they really couldnt've done that without spoiling the major revelations in this game, as there's already some form of conversation in most worlds with the baddies teasing the heroes. but instead, they decide to burden what is otherwise a pretty good climax with all these details that after my first playthrough, left me not knowing which way was up.

I feel like that scenario was intentional and it was their way of giving the element of surprise. Just like the cutscene of King Mickey in BBS where he was sailing on the boat and got sucked into a whirlpool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back