• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Nomura On Kingdom Hearts 3's Development + Series Continuation

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

While it doesn't feel like it at all, it has been over a month since series director Tetsuya Nomura announced at E3 2013 that Kingdom Hearts III was at long last in development for next generation consoles. For many fans this announcement was well overdue, feeling that the previous four handheld titles were not enough to hold their attention and desired to see a true end to the Xehanort Saga. At Japan Expo 2013, Final Fantasy World and Final Fantasy Ring were given the chance to talk with Nomura about the process of developing Kingdom Hearts III.

Even though the Osaka team has developed numerous Kingdom Hearts titles before like Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories, Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep, Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance], and Kingdom Hearts -HD 1.5 ReMIX-, this will be their first time developing a numbered title on next generation systems from scratch. With Nomura serving as a supervisor to the Osaka development team, they have done extensive tests and made preparations to insure a smooth development cycle. He feels that because of these preparations, they are finally ready to begin full development on the game.

Of course, these kinds of plans can only be made with proper cooperation between Nomura in Tokyo and the development team in Osaka, so it sometimes requires co-director Tai Yasue and producer Rie Nishi to make trips to Tokyo to discuss the game's development, as well as frequent video conference calls to the Square Enix offices in Shinjuku.

"In fact, the co-director and producer Tai Yasue and Rie Nishi are there. They are key members of the Kingdom Hearts project, so when they need to discuss a lot of different topics with me, they come to Tokyo. This is our usual method of working. But as technology is ever advancing, our new offices in Shinjuku are now equipped with a video conference system. Now, Yasue and Nishi can send me their materials or proposals in advance, which allows me to add my comments or my drawings and show them on camera in our video conferencing. In addition, there is no time difference, so even if we are far apart, it is easy to work."

Co-director Yasue and producer Nishi have taken a proactive role when it comes to crafting Kingdom Hearts III, often bouncing idea off of each other and Nomura. The series director told Final Fantasy World and Final Fantasy Ring that they felt it was better to have the whole team thinking of ideas rather than just himself, which has only added to the unique identity the Kingdom Hearts series has gained throughout the years.

Nomura briefly mentions the inclusion of Final Fantasy characters in Kingdom Hearts III, saying that it was much harder to include them in earlier games because of space limitations of the handheld games. Because of the lack of space issues on next generation systems, it has become much easier for them to include Final Fantasy characters. "It depends on the volume of the game itself – there is a possibility that we are going to insert a lot of FF characters into KHIII as well."

In another recent interview with the Los Angeles Times, Nomura further expanded on the direction he and the development team plans to take with Kingdom Hearts III, as well as reaffirming that the series itself would not see an end with the resolution of the Xehanort Saga in the upcoming title. 

“As a core game, this is finally the third, and 10 years have passed. I couldn’t call this a trilogy. There have been so many spinoffs. In ‘Kingdom Hearts 3,’ the battles that the characters have been fighting for the past 10 years will come to a conclusion. That is the plan. But the series will continue. Only the particular enemy they have been fighting the past 10 years will come to an end.”

This is not the first time Nomura has mentioned that the series would continue after the epic conclusion of the Xehanort Saga, having spoken to Famitsu in July 2011 about the very same topic while promoting the prelude to Kingdom Hearts III, Kingdom Hearts 3D [Dream Drop Distance]:

"The series that has developed so far as "the Xehanort saga" should end once and for all in KH3. However, I've outlined a tentative plot that takes place afterward, so we could continue onto a new chapter. Sora would remain the main character; that wouldn't change."

When it comes to the gameplay for Kingdom Hearts III, something many fans are interested in considering that after Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days, the classic command system was traded in for the more customizable Command Deck system, used in Birth By Sleep, Kingdom Hearts Re:coded, and Kingdom Hearts 3D. Nomura told the LA Times that fans should turn to Kingdom Hearts 3D for an idea of how Kingdom Hearts III will function, further cementing the idea that the final installment to the Xehanort Saga will contain bold, fast-paced action that fans have become accustomed to these past few years.

None of these ideas are final and could change throughout development, but Nomura strives to deliver a fun, exciting game old and new fans of the Kingdom Hearts series can enjoy.

Kingdom Hearts III will be released for the Playstation 4 and Xbox One.

Source: GameInformer, Nova Crystallis

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Re: Nomura On Kingdom Hearts 3's Development + Series Continuation

Reading all this really sounds as if they are on the last meters with FF XV and Nomura is preparing to dive full into KH III development.
This looks and sounds promising so far, also considering Nomura mentioned that they have vastly more space to work with this time around.

It seems reasonable to assume that KH III might dwarf KH I and II in terms of content.

Roxie1563

Actress/Healer in Persona: Icebound
Awards

^ What he said, lol. But man, oh, man! Kingdom Hearts 3 is going to rock our socks off, eh? :D

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

(BTW guys if it is a bit hard to read on the forums, please read it on the main site where the formatting looks better) xD

Yeah, I love that they want to have a more in-depth story. Now I want to anticipate a 40 hour campaign ;A;

And the idea of using KH3D gameplay functions makes me giddy for some reason. I know some people hate KH3D's gameplay but I thought the party AI was rather fantastic, and they weren't too overpowered to kill a bunch of enemies on their own, but not underpowered to where they died in two hits like Donald and Goofy in other games. If Donald and Goofy could be just like that, and with a dynamic AI that can change roles depending on the circumstances, I'd be a happy trooper.

Now I will sit in a corner and pray for all of my favorite FF characters...like Laguna. And no XIII characters (except Sazh. He's cool.)

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards

40 hour campaign sounds good with extra 20 hours for side stuff to unlock the secret movie/ending. :)

SoundMatch

I'm calling it now, all the worlds will be rejoined, the new enemy is gonna be the original Organization XIII (The one from the past) and KH4 is open world.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards

An in depth story? Awesome :D

keeping my fingers crossed for red Xlll and vincent

Changer

(BTW guys if it is a bit hard to read on the forums, please read it on the main site where the formatting looks better) xD

Yeah, I love that they want to have a more in-depth story. Now I want to anticipate a 40 hour campaign ;A;

And the idea of using KH3D gameplay functions makes me giddy for some reason. I know some people hate KH3D's gameplay but I thought the party AI was rather fantastic, and they weren't too overpowered to kill a bunch of enemies on their own, but not underpowered to where they died in two hits like Donald and Goofy in other games. If Donald and Goofy could be just like that, and with a dynamic AI that can change roles depending on the circumstances, I'd be a happy trooper.

Now I will sit in a corner and pray for all of my favorite FF characters...like Laguna. And no XIII characters (except Sazh. He's cool.)
Wait a minute, people were disappointed with 3D's gameplay? I thought it was fantastic, especially since the flow motion system allowed speed things up a lot and allowed them to have much bigger environments.

More on topic, the biggest thing Nomura mentioned here for me was probably that there would be a lot more FF cameos, the absence of which kind of bothered me in recent games. Here's to hoping that there will be another awesome Sephiroth battle in KH3.

RikuDarkseeker

This would be great. If i ever had a chance to play it, and any future titles.

Tanoichi

Okay seriously in an other interview Nomura said that Kingdom hearts III will have a mix of Kingdom hearts 2 battle style and a mix of dream drop distance and maybe birth by sleep...so that worries me a little now if hes not going to have the battle style of kingdom hearts 2.

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards

Kingdom Hearts II was a bit too automated and "cinematic" and "flashy". Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance give you good player control, and good presentation. It's a matter of hardcore practicality. The Osaka team has shown more preference to the control and combo style of Kingdom Hearts I, so I don't think too much KHII influence will play into it, other than camera control and mini game things. Every game featuring Sora since KHII has utilized the KHI model, it's not just me. It's clearly the KH teams preference, one way or another.

AIAwesome

Awards

I guess I wouldn't mind a battle system similar to 3D, but I did really enjoy how KHII's worked out so hoping for the best. The battle system isn't everything to me, it's the story in the game so I'm excited to see how this in depth story plays out. Honestly, I feel like we are hyping this up so much, but the unlike other things that will let us down, it will only impress us regardless.

As for FF cameos...Laguna. Laguna. Laguna. Please, one of my favorite characters that haven't appeared yet!

PureSymphony

I think 3D has a great battle style and if KH3 has a mix between KH2 and 3D then i expect it to be fantastic, of course i'm not picky when it comes to KH in general ^_-

Joker'sHeartless

Awards

I remember reading somewhere on this site that KHIII was going to have reaction commands like KHII, and somewhere else that it was going to have the flow motion from KH3D.
Do you think it'll have both? Would that even be a good idea?

Personally, I liked flow motion better, but I'd be happy with either one. I just don't think it would work very well with both. Sora'd just be way too over powered.

PureSymphony

I remember reading somewhere on this site that KHIII was going to have reaction commands like KHII, and somewhere else that it was going to have the flow motion from KH3D. Do you think it'll have both? Would that even be a good idea? Personally, I liked flow motion better, but I'd be happy with either one. I just don't think it would work very well with both. Sora'd just be way too over powered.
I'm not sure both would work very well unless it's a toggle choice but whatever SE comes up with, i'll be happy no matter what. Leaning KH3 a little more like KH2 isn't so bad in my opinion, i think they did brilliantly and with a new graphic engine KH3 will be spectacular!

loke13

Waiting on FF XV and KH3 :D

Okay seriously in an other interview Nomura said that Kingdom hearts III will have a mix of Kingdom hearts 2 battle style and a mix of dream drop distance and maybe birth by sleep...so that worries me a little now if hes not going to have the battle style of kingdom hearts 2.
That's fine by me there's nothing really unique about KH2 battle system besides the reaction commands and the drive forms which BBS and 3D both improved upon those areas. I still think the core mechanics of KH2 are going to what they build there battle system and the Osaka team have proven to me that they are fantastic when it comes to designing fun gameplay.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Wait a minute, people were disappointed with 3D's gameplay? I thought it was fantastic, especially since the flow motion system allowed speed things up a lot and allowed them to have much bigger environments.

More on topic, the biggest thing Nomura mentioned here for me was probably that there would be a lot more FF cameos, the absence of which kind of bothered me in recent games. Here's to hoping that there will be another awesome Sephiroth battle in KH3.

People didn't like how Sora and Riku's abilities were tied to their Dream Eaters. And that flowmotion sometimes made battles too simple. I loved it, but eh. Everybody has preferences.

I honestly think that the classic command system is very out-of-date, especially considering how more instant the command deck is. It's pretty obvious that the last few games have been used to experiment and build the command deck system further so I think we'll be seeing a culmination of those efforts in KH3 and see a completely new, but similar system.

As for FF cameos...Laguna. Laguna. Laguna. Please, one of my favorite characters that haven't appeared yet!

If we chant his name maybe SE will hear our collective wishes ;A;

I remember reading somewhere on this site that KHIII was going to have reaction commands like KHII, and somewhere else that it was going to have the flow motion from KH3D.
Do you think it'll have both? Would that even be a good idea?

Personally, I liked flow motion better, but I'd be happy with either one. I just don't think it would work very well with both. Sora'd just be way too over powered.

Reaction commands were in KH3D and Nomura has already said that flowmotion is the future of the series. So I'd say expect both since they both have their own uses.

I'm not sure both would work very well unless it's a toggle choice but whatever SE comes up with, i'll be happy no matter what. Leaning KH3 a little more like KH2 isn't so bad in my opinion, i think they did brilliantly and with a new graphic engine KH3 will be spectacular!

Why would they need to toggle reaction commands with flowmotion? KH3D did with having both and it isn't like they replace each other. They aren't alike at all.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards

People hated KH3D's gameplay? I thought they just hated the Dream Eaters and that was it. As far as I could tell, everyone loved everything else about the gameplay.

And yeeeeeeah, sorry, I'm still gonna have to disagree with you on the Dream Eaters. Their A.I. is no better than the A.I. from KH1. I'm still saying that the KH2 A.I. was the best, simply because you interacted with them so much with each character having limit breaks, being absorbed for drive forms, etc. No ally A.I. has ever topped that in my opinion.

nd that flowmotion sometimes made battles too simple. I loved it, but eh. Everybody has preferences.

This, I do disagree with. Flowmotion didn't make ANYTHING easy. In fact, it could often screw yourself up if you use it during boss battles.

wolfshadow

Glad to hear that more FF characters will be involved, maybe also more npc's as well? Would be nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back