• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► D23 Expo 2017 Recap: KINGDOM HEARTS 3 and Interviews Galore!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com

Nearly a week has gone by since D23 Expo 2017 and yet it hardly feels like any time has passed at all. With the constant flow of Kingdom Hearts III news coming from every corner througout the past few days, there hasn't been any time to stop and absorb everything we keep learning about the highly-anticipated title. For all of you still trying to wrap your head around all of the latest news releasing, we have conveniently recapped our impressions of D23 Expo 2017 alongside all of the news that has followed since last weekend in one convenient article.

Impressions from Cecily (Sign)

The second the screen began to clear up and the camera panned over the xylophone and soccer ball next to Andy's bed, I lost it. I clapped and cheered as loud as I could with PJ, Arielle and the hundreds beside us, startling the Disney employees and small children in front of us. I'm sure they were completely surprised by the uproar. After all, the Star Wars and Marvel games that preceded had gotten generous applause, so they must have thought this "Kingdom Hearts" title would be received similarly. But no, that wasn't it at all, because unbeknownst to them, most attendees of that panel were there for Kingdom Hearts

We drowned out the room, our cheers and cries getting louder and louder as the trailer progressed and showed off the world. Seeing Andy's room recreated with such precision, the reveal of Sora, Donald and Goofy's toy forms, watching Woody and the others walking over as if they've literally stepped right out of the Pixar films... it was all I could have hoped for. And if that wasn't enough, we were graced with the numbers "2 0 1 8" at the very end; the icing on the cake.

This was my first D23, and I couldn't have been happier to experience it with PJ and Arielle.

Impressions from PJ (Dandelion)

This year was my first D23 Expo, and I'd been wanting to go for a long time, so I was very excited to go! Arielle and I had quite the trip up, and an even more hectic time battling the crowds but we waited patiently for Saturday. While waiting in line, I spotted Hashimoto-san and gave a very small wave to him as he walked around the arena, as not to draw too much attention. He gave a small bow and then came closer to the line, pointing out to his handler various cosplayers and their Keyblades, and when he was spotted by more mega fans, they bowed very quietly and he returned the favor. His handler asked me what on earth all these people were lined up for, and I couldn't help but chuckle and respond that it was for the video game panel. 

I sat between Cecily and Arielle, and waited patiently throughout the panel. We'd all been talking about what we'd expected to come out of this trailer - but actually seeing Sora and the gang arrive in Andy's room was a moment that inspired such a reaction from the crowd that I was in awe. Cecily and Arielle both grabbed on to an arm and pulled while the world was shown in various aspect, and I covered my mouth, trying to keep from screaming too loud. I failed! It was the most insane thing I've ever witnessed. It was everything I wanted and more in regards to how the worlds should be handled in KHIII. I'm more excited than ever before.

Impressions from Arielle (Oracle Spockanort)

I remember D23 Expo 2015 and the odd mix of excitement and exhaustion everybody felt when Big Hero 6 was announced to be in KHIII. There was a lot of joy all around because of the announcement but people couldn't help but feel apprehensive due to the lack of footage or substantial information about the game. One year passed with hardly a peep about KHIII in 2016, and 2017 wasn't fairing well on the news-front for the series. I think we were all starting to get a little more than anxious for new information, and thankfully June not only brought us a new trailer but the announcement of more-to-come from D23 Expo 2017. 

Cecily, PJ, and I set off to D23 to be able to experience the news as it happened, and I don't think I'll ever forget the experience. During the first presentations for EA's Star Wars Battlefront II and Marvel's Spider-Man by Insomniac—two exciting games in their own right—it was very clear the audience only had their hearts set on one thing. Outside of a few select instances, the audience would offer polite claps during the presentation...then the Kingdom Hearts 15th Anniversary logo came on screen and the crowd absolutely exploded. It wasn't even a new trailer and yet you could feel the energy building up in the arena.

I'm not sure about how hard I gripped PJ's arm, but I do know I almost jumped on him the second we saw the xylophone underneath Andy's bed. Any attempts at controlling my hype were gone and I was screaming so hard I almost lost my voice. The entire audience sounded like an endless roar of thunder! Grown adults were shrieking in jubilance, flying off their feet to try and express how overjoyed they were. I saw people bowing to Tetsuya Nomura, shouting their "I love you"s, and never once did the cheers ever really stop. 

Experiencing something so wholly amazing with Cecily and PJ remains to be the highlight of D23—and the year—for me. 

July 21st, 2017

Dengeki Interview with Nomura on KINGDOM HEARTS 3 and Union Cross

July 20th, 2017

Nomura on the possibility of a Kingdom Hearts cinematic film

July 19th, 2017

Nomura talks completion percentage and Square Enix characters with Daily Mirror
Full Famitsu interview with Nomura on KINGDOM HEARTS 3
Kingdom Hearts Fan Event confirmed for D23 Expo Japan 2018

July 18th, 2017

Nomura: KHIII Intends to Focus on Newer Titles, DDD's Flowmotion Was Too "Free" 
Famitsu interviews Nomura on KINGDOM HEARTS 3: Toy Story, battle system & more!

July 17th, 2017

Nomura Confirms Attraction Flow Will Be A Constant Surprise
Nomura Talks Working on Kingdom Hearts 3 and Final Fantasy VII Remake
Nomura Discusses Keyblade Transformations and Summons with Gameinformer
Nomura Explains Why It Took So Long To Get To Kingdom Hearts 3 & Discusses DLC

July 16th, 2017

Get a Free KHIII Sora EX Medals in Your Present Box & Available in VIP Quests!
Pixar Asked For An Original Toy Story Plot and Other Fun Facts
Nomura: The Gummi Ship Will Return in Kingdom Hearts 3

July 15th, 2017

Nomura to IGN: 1.5+2.5, 2.8 & 3 on Switch / Xbox One "Maybe Possible"
New Hercules and Toy Story Screenshots Released!
Guardian Form Sora Gets the Bring Arts Treatment
Toy Story Themed Kingdom Hearts 3 Bring Arts in Development
Kingdom Hearts 3 Will Launch in 2018!
New Kingdom Hearts 3 Trailer Takes Sora to Infinity and Beyond

Videos

Screenshots & Renders

Remember to follow Kingdom Hearts Insider on FacebookTwitter, and Tumblr for the latest updates on Kingdom Hearts Union χ [Cross], Kingdom Hearts 3 and all things Kingdom Hearts!  

alexis.anagram

pajamaモード
Awards
I was watching D23 reaction videos the other day and giggling through my empathy with all the excitement. It reminded me of how fun the Orchestra Concert was and the tangible explosions of emotion that came from the audience. Only bigger.

It's good to know you three had a good time. Square's been doing West Coast KH fans some solids.

SoraForeverKH

Wow! Yeah, trying to put D23 2017 into words is about impossible for me right now. I seriously just can't do it at the moment. The only words I keep having come to mind when I think about is, AWESOME, EPIC, EXCITING, AWESOME, EPIC, EXCITING, etc! (laughing hard now) It was seriously mind blowing!! And definitely after reading and watching some clips of the actual event while it was taking place makes me really wish I'd been there too! It would've been even more unforgettable, even though I think seeing all the news afterwards is still and unforgettable experience itself, much like how when they first announced KH III early in June 2012, was it? I'll never forget how it was almost midnight when I just happened to check khinsider for the updates I knew were coming for KH 3 and noticed it said something big about KH III trailer and everything! I was in awe and when Sora came of the beach I was so surprised hate I literally rolled over off the back part of the sofa we had. It was late and my sister's and I had to try to hold in our inevitable screams of joy and contain the excitement that was bursting inside us!! What a day, and now I have D23 2017 to thank for another memorable, exciting experience!!! Yay Kingdom Hearts!!!
As far as my expectations for KH III goes, I just want there to be a lot of story and Cutscenes! It's always been my favorite part about the series and KH III is going to hold all the main story I've been looking forward to most, it will unfold all the lore and mysteries of KH and all the questions I've had and mysteries I've been trying to conclude will hopefully be answered and revealed in never before seen derail!!! Or imagined!!! All that we gave just seen and learned couldn't make me anymore excited for the grand finale in the dark seeker series!
The day they show off Sora and more of the OC of KH in their respective new cinematics I know I will literally be sent to the moon and this time I won't be coming down. (laughs) This trailer sent me to the moon but I am gradually descending. ^^ I can't wait for 2018 is all I keep hearing myself repeating though!! Yes, it's really coming!!!!!

Thank khinsider officials for providing us with all the news, announcements and information we've been die-waiting to catch a glimpse of! This will certainly be an event Nomura-San and the company has given us that we will never forget!!! ^^

gosoxtim

Silver Member
Awards
thanks kinsider staff for bringing all this news to us this site is trully the best

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
Dandelion after D23:

OAvOaEd.jpg

Thanks for the recap, guys. You three are adorable!

It's still hilarious that the Disney employees were surprised by how crazy the KH fandom is. We're the reason the panel took place in such an enormous room. XD

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Dandelion after D23:

OAvOaEd.jpg

Thanks for the recap, guys. You three are adorable!

It's still hilarious that the Disney employees were surprised by how crazy the KH fandom is. We're the reason the panel took place in such an enormous room. XD

For real, tho. I remember seeing one of the Disney staff members in the row in front of us was monitoring the streams to gauge reactions and it was really mild from what I could nosy about. The second KH's stuff came up, all of the streams she was monitoring were exploding as well.

I hope they realize what they have going on here. I better see some KH merchandise at Disney Stores.

lilVon

live, laugh, lobotomy
Awards
Definitely hyped with all the new information & a "solid" release window. Hyped enough to start posting again in over a year. Seeing all the new Keyblade Transformations, Shotlocks, Athletic Flow, etc. Kinda makes me wonder if stuff like Attraction Flow & Summons are reserved for very specific pre-rendered QTE type set-pieces similar to what we saw in FFXV. I know we haven't seen them lately simply because Nomura & crew wanted to show off other skills & we got a lot of Attraction flow early on. The S Commands seem like a happy medium between Reaction commands & Deck Commands with how you can stock them & the fact that they are activated from meeting different requirments within the new combo gauge. All in all I REALLY enjoyed the D23 reveals & I'm still gonna keep my fingers crossed for 2B & 9S to appear, even tho i know it won't happen....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back