• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

News ► Kingdom Hearts X[chi] 3rd Anniversary Key Art Released!

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaser

Not KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
You're missing one character there, are you omitting Ventus from the art piece on purpose now or what? >__<
I merely forgot him (because of how random he is here). I saw your posts in other threads, please don't think I have a grudge against Ventus and am taking it out in news articles :/

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
I merely forgot him (because of how random he is here). I saw your posts in other threads, please don't think I have a grudge against Ventus and am taking it out in news articles :/

Well, to be fair he IS the character furthest in the back but as Alpha Baymax and some others already pointed out, the seeming randomness might not be so random at all (note: I'll answer those theory-relating posts as well later on when I have more time at hand. :D) and if I am not mistaken it is the first depiction of Ventus in official new material unrelated to BBS, so I am certain it would probably be wise to be not overlooked or swept under the rug.

Nah, I'm not actually believing you'll be one to hold true grudges against fictional characters, it just came over as a little odd also since the article makes no more mention of him at all, only speaking about Riku's and Kairi's new duds.
As for the news article, shouldn't it be pointed out especially inside it that the guy depicted there is Ventus (If I recall correctly it was even you who found a japanese tweet confirming it) in order to reduce the amount of fans making the mistake to think it is Roxas?

The new outfits for Riku and Kairi are all fine and dandy, I'm also pretty hyped about them, but they are depicted in 99% of all new Nomura art anyways so characters depicted outside of them should probably be at least visibly pointed out.

Muke

whatever
Awards
IF AQUA DOESN'T GET NEW CLOTHES, YOU'RE DEAD SQUARE ENIX AND EVERYONE ELSE WORKING ON KH3

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Anyone have any ideas on why Ventus is missing that Keyblade armor pauldron in the artwork?

Launchpad

i remember the OLD khinsider
Awards
Pardon me for not reading the thread, but I imagine Riku and Kairi have hoods to safely travel the dark realm with the Mickster. Big trouble for Sora when Riku and KaiKai hook up and share that paopu fruit if you get what I'm sayin

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
True, but they are friends with Player. And Skuld said she wanted to protect her friends. She does this by trying to prevent them from going to the war. But we already saw that Player ends up in the Keyblade Graveyard (where the war took place), so it's not out of the question that Skuld and Ephemera will come to save us. In wich case they still end up in the Keyblade Graveyard.

Of course that's also a possibility, no doubt.

I’m saying that Ventus being on the final Kingdom Hearts X Anniversary Artwork is there for a purpose. And that purpose is my hypothetical theory of him being a Dandelion with Ephemera and Skuld. I didn’t question Roxas or Namine for the second year anniversary, because they were not beside human Kingdom Hearts X characters like Ventus was.
Aha, so you're basing that assumption on the fact that Ephemera and Skuld are there too? Interesting approach.

An intermediary connection is still a connection regardless. Vanitas was melded after Sora through Ventus connection with Sora when Sora helped heal Ventus fractured heart.
An indirect connection at best though as Vanitas was only affected appearance-wise by Sora's and Ventus' new connection through his own connection to Ventus, there wasn't any true connection forged between Sora and Vanitas, which means Vanitas definitely cannot be counted in the same breath as Roxas, Xion and Ven who are directly connected with Sora.
For Roxas it is the same when one counts Ventus' connections as he's only connected to Ven through Sora.

The characters included in the anniversary artwork are often associated with the Destiny Island trio directly. Sure, Ventus fits that bill because his heart is directly resting inside's Sora's, but then you wonder, why is he positioned near the Kingdom Hearts X characters? Had he been at the left hand side, the symbolism would have been interpreted differently. As the final piece of Kingdom Hearts X Anniversary art, it’s evident that this a dual Kingdom Hearts X and Kingdom Hearts III foreshadowing.
The symbolism itself can still be viewed in many different ways even with this constellation. Heck, just as an example it is even possible that Ventus is placed there because in order to truly save him and wake him up, Sora will need something from Ephemera and/or Skuld, like some extra knowledge etc or if the theory is correct that Ventus' essence is the one to experience the events of Daybreak Town inside the dream world the positioning of the characters indicates that Ventus has learned now important knowledge that needs to be somehow relayed to SRK.

Nope, he really wouldn’t. He’s Sora’s nobody. Ventus is a character that’s connected to Sora because his heart is resting inside of him. Roxas is Sora. Ventus is not Sora. He’s still an individual being. Sure he’s connected to Sora but he’s not Sora. And I’m not saying that Roxas is not a unique character in his own right, he most certainly is, however, a person’s nobody is the remains of those who have lost their heart. And Roxas will always be a nobody until Kingdom Hearts III makes him a somebody. Point being, if Roxas was to hypothetically be on this art, he would not be out of place at all.
Roxas would still make less sense in the context of your main interpretation of the art piece being a KH III foreshadowing piece. Roxas is a being that didn't exist until the last third of KH 1 so him being placed there close to to Ephemera and Skuld would make less sense. Roxas could make sense if he was placed directly beside Sora, but then Kairi would also need to have Naminé beside her.
Lol, Sora himself stated that Roxas is not him, so that's that but this doesn't really affect the whole issue much anyways. ;P

Chirithy isn’t as plot significant as Ephemera and Skuld in connection to Kingdom Hearts III.
How can you confidently make this claim if I may ask? Ephemera and Skuld might actually have no real impact or importance in person on KH III at all in the end. We do not even know if they will even make it through X[chi] and/or Unchained unscathed at the end.
Chirithy is a Dream eater and those have already made an appearance in the current era, so going by that I'd say the prospect of a Chirithy making an appearance actually isn't too slim.

And as far as Terra goes, his past was training with Aqua under Eraqus. I’d personally find it too far-fetched for him to have been a Dandelion because his past didn’t seem to have as much ambiguity as Ventus. Fact of the matter is, Ventus has too much ambiguity with his past. His connection to Xehanort before the split with Vanitas has barely been touched upon. And I firmly believe that this anniversary picture is providing the subtle hint that his past was that of a Dandelion.
We can't really make any assumptions on Terra's or Aqua's past though as there was never any hint towards it. Ventus' past isn't even that ambigious as the Xehanort Reports pretty clearly state what happened: Xehanort found him somewhere on his travels through the worlds, recognized the kid's potential and decided to take him as a pupil. It might actually have played out in a similar manner to how Terra acted with Riku, the main difference being that Xehanort took Ven with him directly.

I'm actually somewhat in awe that you can get such a firm belief on such a thing from merely one piece of art, lol.

It’s still something. Sure, it doesn’t have the strongest of substance as a theory because it’s artwork as opposed to an interview translation or teaser, but that single placement of art in itself holds significance on its own merit. It’s a simultaneous means of symbolism for both Kingdom Hearts X and Kingdom Hearts III. Ventus being on the side of the Kingdom Hearts X character couldn’t simply be for ideal spacing of all the characters. It must mean something more (and I think it’s Kingdom Hearts X related, because again, the positioning of the X characters on the right side with Ventus is too organised to call it a coincidence).
It is not "only" because it is an artwork, but because this is the "only" thing the theory has going for it so far which can be seen as overthinking the issue.
That the spacing and placement of the characters in the artwork (and Ventus being the only BBS character) must mean something more is what is the pretty bold statement here.

I’m not taking any disagreements personally. The Kingdom Hearts community would be a boring fandom if everyone agreed with every new theory at face value. I liked to be challenged for my theories to have substance. Now if you still don’t think that Ventus is a potential Dandelion, I’m okay with that. This is all theory work. I just honestly feel as though; the stars are really connection for this theory to actually happen (even more so than the Reincarnation theory). Heck, the reincarnation theory would be debunked if Ventus turns out to be a Dandelion because he’d have lived in the same lifetime as Master Gula lol.

That's good to hear as indeed none of my tearing into such theories is ever meant as an attack, but as an incentive to try and give the theory in question more weight by digging for further possible hints or implications.

I do not rule out that theory in the slightest, in fact I do think that it might be truly possible. I just won't take it as the primary theory I follow because I think the hints towards this specific course of events are still too thin.
I have the usual modus operandi to keep several theories about an issue in my range of vision and which one becomes my favorite to follow is normally decided over time when more hints and implications become available to support some theories better or less.
To be fully honest anything is better than the Reincarnation theory as it would provide the KH original character cast with actual new characters that are neither clones nor overly "forcibly connected" to already existing characters. For example a lot of Aqua's popularity comes from the fact that she isn't too deeply connected with any pre-existing character.

Ventus has been locked inside a room for 10 years and hasn't aged even a minute. Aqua has been trapped in the dark realm for the same amount of time and still maintained all her queenliness. It's not impossible for there to be some way to preserve a body for centuries. Someone brought up the pods in Twilight Town, but those pods don't prevent aging, so that's unlikely.

I still think Ven's inclusion is very strange. I understand his connection to Sora (in fact, it's my favorite connection in the whole series cause I'm a sucker for feels), but the whole composition is pretty lopsided.

That's what I think as well, maybe Ventus' body and Aqua not aging was actually a sort of foreshadowing on this procedure also being possible on a grander scope.
I dunno about the actual pods though as Sora's body most likely kept aging because his heart was still inside and somewhat active.

I'm pretty convinced that his inclusion here is supposed to foreshadow something, I'm just not yet ready to cling to any specific theory about it.

I'm pretty sure that's because his heart is shattered. And time flows different in the RoD. That explains why Aqua hasn't seemingly aged.
But I do see the point your making.

How would she find new clothes in the RoD though? Is she gonna raid all the worlds that have fallen into Darkness for clothes? It would be a fun side-mission.

I'd say it is more because his heart isn't in his body anymore. With the body strictly spoken "not being in use" and thus there being no energy consumption from the soul the aging process might be halted until Ven's heart is returned to the body.
After all, bodies in KH are nothing more than physical shells and "meatbags" for the immortal heart to use and control in order to interact with the physical word.

Maybe Aqua meets Joshua in the RoD and he takes her on a shopping trip for the most fancy new clothes. He's an expert in such things after all and since the Moogles are extremely crafty I wouldn't be surprised if there's a hidden Moogle-shop somewhere in the RoD that also sells clothes.

I just feel as though he's out of place without being with Aqua or Terra. He's part of the Birth by Sleep trio, and well, for him to be in the third anniversary artwork of Kingdom Hearts X without Aqua or Terra is unusually fishy for me if it's celebrating Kingdom Hearts X and Kingdom Hearts III as he's a standalone Birth by Sleep representative.

Anyway, I think this is an entirely plausible theory. I think the situation that present's the holes (even in my theory) is the premise of individuals surviving the legendary Keyblade War without aging as opposed to Ventus being a Dandelion.
And that's what bothers me a little since why does Ven need to be with Aqua or Terra all the time? The last third of his story in BBS actually dealt with the topic of him learning to be less overreliant on Terra and Aqua, not to mention that Aqua has been portrayed more than once already as a "sole Birth by Sleep" representative. Sora or Riku are also often portrayed without each other. You don't need to always portray the whole trios.

To be honest the general premise of individuals surviving the legendary Keyblade War and still being alive at the current age is a huge hole in itself. One of the main reasons Xehanort is craving to do another Keyblade War is because of his immense curiosity to learn what exactly happened back then in that "time of legends". If there would be still people around who actually experienced it Xehanort would not need all this bullshit of re-creating it, he could just ask/interrogate some of those survivors.
That a body can be kept non-aging for at least a decade has been proven with Ventus, so it can be assumed that with the right magical and/or technological equipment this can be possibly done for an even longer period.
And hey, if that is too far-fetched maybe Ventus can also either just be the descendant of one or more of the original Dandelions or somehow inherited some of their powers.

But the one on his body was still there...

Of course, lol, I didn't really mean the last thing seriously.

Ah, right! I had something like this in mind but wasn't too sure. But yup, his sleeping body still has the armor pauldron.

My statement about Riku destroying it was obviously a joke, lol. The whole thing took place inside Sora's heart so there's no way that this would have been Ven's actual physical armor.

Who's that guy in the back of the Key Art? Is that supposed to be the player?

I'm not sure if you're joking or serious but that guy behind Ephemera is Ventus. Y'know, the little guy from Birth by Sleep looking like Roxas' twin.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
I still don't see the appeal of Riku's outfit.

At least the cosplay would only cost around $20.

Like, with Sora and Kairi's outfits, Nomura has clearly looked at their previous ones when designing the news ones (and even seemingly gave Kairi Foreteller hood ears) but with Riku it's like he completely disregarded Riku's previous outfits and designed him like he just walked out of the dollar store.

Kg4IyxR.png

On one hand the outfit continues his theme of his clothes lighter each iteration (I walk the road to dawn!) Except the black hoodie doesn't fit that (though black has been used in all his previous outfits but not to such a degree) Why not white or yellow? Or white and yellow? Secondly he's never worn a hood outside of the Org. coat, and that was out of necessity.
The outfit also seems it may have sleeves, which Riku, whether it was for freedom of movement or just to show off his muscley shoulders, has never worn sleeves. And again the only time he did wear sleeves was out of necessity.
He's also never worn a shirt before that we know of. He's only worn zipped up sleeveless jackets before now (and in KHII he wore two sleeveless jackets.)

Going from Riku's previous outfits he seems to prefer loose pants with sleeveless, hoodless, formfitting jackets. Which makes sense as both gives him maximum movement. Yet he's been giving a jacket (with sleeves and a floppy, easily grabbable hood) that could obstruct his movement!

I will say that if we find out that this is simply his casual clothes, I'll be perfectly fine with it. But if this is what Riku is going to fight in, then it goes against his character.

X%20Key%20Art.png

Another thing is wooooow that's a lot of black and red.
This isn't 2006. It hasn't been 2006 for 10 years. Give me color damn it!!
At least when it comes to Ephemera and Skuld, the majority of X[chi]'s original character are very colorful, so them in mostly black isn't a big deal.
But team hoodie has only two colors. Two. Black and red. Sora is in black and red. Kairi is in red and black. And Riku is just in black. What the fire engine, Nomura? Did you forget there are other colors besides black and red?

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
Pardon me for not reading the thread, but I imagine Riku and Kairi have hoods to safely travel the dark realm with the Mickster. Big trouble for Sora when Riku and KaiKai hook up and share that paopu fruit if you get what I'm sayin

At this point in my life, I might consider paying good money to see that happen. Just so the SoKai and SoRiku fans will get mad.

Note that I'm saying this as someone who ships SoKai like air, also ships SoRiKai, and is even shipping SoRiku some these days.

I'm just sick of the fandumb when it comes to Riku and Kairi's relationship. They have a great one, and are best friends (hello, KHII). Their interactions needs developed, sure, but I'm so sick of people being like, "OMG, Riku and Kairi absolutely despise each other and just somewhat tolerate each other because of Sora."

So if this were to happen, it would be a good "in your face, Fandom!" moment. Plus, I like RiKai. It's pretty dang original, and actually could be amazing if done right.

Not that KH is about pairings or anything, but you get what I mean.

(Also, please no one take this post too seriously. I don't have a vendetta against you or your ships, for as I said above I actually care for those couples quite a lot. I'm not going to pressure Square to do this or anything. I'm just mainly joking that this would be just desserts, because the very vocal fandumb really, really annoys me at times.)

@FudgemintGuardian I feel like Nomura has mistaken this for "The Mortal Instruments" series, where the good Shadowhunters wore black gear in the last book and the evil ones wore red (except it's switched here). Clearly "Color Coordinated for Your Continence" will be a thing in III;)

And it could be worse. Remember when everyone in Advent Children only wore black? Because I do, and it still drives me insane to this day (even though I get why that was).

I'm so excited for the VII Remake, so that we can see Marlene in her purple dress, Yuffie in some green, and some red on Tifa. Oh! And Aerith in her classic pink dress, of course:D

Last edited:

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
Forgive me for stating the obvious here, FG, but don't you suppose that it's likely the entire picture was tinted red and that the actual outfits will be more varied in color.

kirabook

Bronze Member
Awards
I think there's more to it than meets the eye. I don't think he'll completely drop the yellow, just like he never completely dropped the red in Sora's outfit. Riku is a combination of white, black, and yellow, and blue/jean. We're just missing the yellow. He looks like he's still wearing blue jeans even if they're a bit darker. His shirt is mostly white again still. His hoodie has the black. We just gotta figure out where the yellow will be. Will it be left to only accents like buttons and zippers? Will the back of his coat have some yellow designs on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back