• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

A quick comment on "No Temp" battles.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenblivion

Okay, so I've been seeing a rise in popularity among "No Temp" RP battles, and a few things came to mind about possible problems/solutions within these open fights.

- People should have a set idea for what powers/abilities their character has control over, before the first post. Don't be a noob, and constantly change your abilities to counter everything that the opponent throws at you. You don't have to win every RP battle to be great at it. Many of KHI's best have lost a few in their lifetime, so use reason when creating your character.

Solution: Judges can be used in these battles, in order to make sure someone's not just making up moves to counter everything. Two should suffice, in order to avoid deal-making in the order of judging.

This has been posted to prevent this from happening in the future. As far as I've seen, there hasn't been a problem with it.

I'm sorry if I shouldn't have posted this, but I feel it needed to be said. If anyone else has any other comments/problems/warnings on these battles, post them, and I will edit.

Last edited:

Prophet

come and go
Website
www.facebook.com
I find this post somewhat unnecessary. RPers should understand that even when they post without a template, they should be limited by the context of their character. An opening post should define a character, and a person's ability should be limited within reason to that character. A vampire isn't going to be able to lob huge energy balls without proper explanation. That being said, a person still has to describe how a power is used in order to have it done; it can't be drawn out of nowhere. For example, I would have to say how my axeman, who is primarily a melee character, knows how to sense people behind him. One has to make sense.

However, its possible that this is not quite understood. It would be awesome if you could cite some examples of this happening if you really want to address what I find is not a profound problem (at least, as far as I've seen.)

Endgame

:D
I gotta say I agree with this. However, often the point of no temp battles can be to have a hidden aspect of your character used to catch the enemy off guard as it's not revealed in your template. Thus revealing this if it was already planned would not fall under constant change of abilities.

Yes, there's something up Flint's sleeve, like it wasn't half obvious.

Actually I'm hoping to see this trend continue. No-temps are quick, they require little forethought and preparation, and at the same time can be just as tactical as any other battle, or in some cases even more so. They allow faster development of character storylines, especially due to the habit of multiple people to join no temps partway through. It also leads to contenders learning to provide the relevent information normally in a temp within text in their first several posts to give the enemy an indication of their character.

Of course, this dosn't mean we should neglect templates. They're a useful tool for keeping track of a character and their abilities. However, we shouldn't operate under the assumption that people in a battle, or an RP itself for that matter, need to know everything about our character before we join. That's a misassumption created by RP makers wanting to see the skill and intended role of an RPer prior to allowing them to join their roleplay.

I'm really hoping this trend carries over into the main RP section rather then just the battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back