• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Beta/final comparison & research [IMAGE HEAVY] [SPOILERS]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mister E

Out of interest after playing BBS, I decided to look back on the older trailers and screenshots that were made available way back in 2007/2008, not long after the game was announced. Naturally, there were some clear differences that could be spotted, in both cutscenes and gameplay. I'm going to attempt to archive them in this thread here. If anyone spots any mistakes in what I'm putting here, don't hesitate to tell me, or indeed if you've spotted any changes of your own, please post them here too.

TGS 2007 Trailer

Terra and Ven converse about a time where Ven "saved" Terra, in what appears to be the plains area in KH2 Radiant Garden/Hollow Bastion. This conversation actually does take place in the final game, however it is quite different in set-up and takes place in the Outer Gardens of Radiant Garden, when Ven says goodbye to Terra.

Early gameplay is shown. The HUD is vastly different and quite incomplete: the D-Link, Focus and Command Style Gauges are all missing. The deck commands appear to be of a long, hexagonal shape in this trailer, and the type icons for each appear on the left hand side. There are also around 5 deck commands shown on screen at once; in the final there are only ever 3 at any one time, along with the Attack command. For comparison, here is an image of the final build against the TGS07 one:

earlyplay.jpg

triforce.jpg

Also worth noting is the thorny area in which Terra is battling Unversed in the first gameplay clip. This area is never in the final game, although it appears to be a quite different looking version of the bridge leading to the Castle. Maleficent appears in this area in later trailers and screenshots too, which may back this up.

Ven meets Xehanort in Olympus Coliseum. The conversation that takes place does happen, but in the Keyblade Graveyard, and again it is quite different in terms of how it happens. Ven also does not appear to know who Xehanort is at this point, whereas all 3 playable characters are aware of who Xehanort is by the start of the finished game.

The scene where Terra protects Ventus from Eraqus appears to take place in, again, an area very similar to the plains near Radiant Garden. It's possible the area was used as a placeholder for Land of Departure. The dialogue appears to be different, and Terra is not enveloped in the power of Darkness like he is in the final.

Ven stands on the beach of Destiny Islands and asks an unknown person to erase him. We only ever see this person's shadow, but it could possibly be Aqua. As a point of interest, Aqua never truly appears, nor is ever mentioned, in this trailer. It's possible that her section of the game, or indeed her design, had not been finalised.

Jump Festa 2008 Trailer

Most of the cutscenes shown in this trailer are unchanged from the TGS07 trailer, but a few new ones were added.

A scene showing Cinderella arriving at the Ball, as Ventus observes the castle. Ventus never leaves Cinderella's house in the final game.

A scene with Maleficent and Terra in the thorny area. These two characters only meet briefly in Aurora's room and outside the Castle in the final game, and as stated before, this area is not present either.

A newer build of the battle system is shown; it is noticeably different than the presumably very early TGS07 build. The Command Style Gauge is present and functional (although neither characters shown change Style; they simply execute regular Finish commands), and what appears to be an early version of the Focus Gauge is also present. Neither Terra nor Ven use it in the trailer, although it appears to recharge via collecting what look like D-Link prizes. Ven's portrait is also different, appearing more similar to Roxas' from KH2. The command type icons are now located to the right hand side of each deck command, as they are in the final:

earlyven.jpg

Ventus is shown battling in several different areas, one of which is the Castle of Dreams. Again, Ven never goes here in the final game, and you cannot access this area with him conventionally. Terra is shown again in the thorny area.

Aqua, again, is not mentioned, nor does she appear.

TGS 2008 Trailer

Most of the cutscenes shown are very similar to the final build, with the notable exception of the scene of Ven asking to be "erased" on Destiny Islands.

A gameplay build is shown here, which is much closer to the final than those previously seen at TGS07 and JF08. Command Styles and Shotlock have been implemented, however the HUD is yet again different; both the D-Link and the Focus gauges are to the left of the character portait, and the Focus gauge in the final game is actually the D-Link gauge in this build. This build's Focus gauge is a thin blue bar located below D-Link.

tgsw.jpg

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I think the Ven "saving" Terra thing was a mistranslation if I remember correctly. Terra was telling Ven about how he might have to save him one day.

CreativeGenius13

Very Nice ammount or research here.

I noticed that alot of things were "lost" in development hell.

^Nice Alice Avatar.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
The "Thanks for Saving" or whatever made it into the final game, although a bit altered. It happens when Ven says goodbye to Terra in RG.

αsiя

space coke
I noticed in the TGS 07' vid, that Terra was much faster in gameplay.

And Terra looked very very weak.

Mister E

αsiя;5293440 said:
I noticed in the TGS 07' vid, that Terra was much faster in gameplay.

And Terra looked very very weak.

I suspect that the gameplay build shown in that trailer was very early and unfinished, it's probable that they only had some basic actions working by that point in time.

CreativeGenius13

I've always wondered what the Plot for Enchanted Domion and Castle of Dreams and Dwarf Woodland were at this point and time.

Ven walks through palace courtyard and see Cindy go to the ball (possibly his and Terra's storys for this world were switched.)

Terra crosses a bridge that is covered with Thorns that can only be seen in Aqua's story when batteling Dragon Malificent.

Terra battels Unversed outside the dawrves' cottage in the forrest, an arera that of free of unversed in the final product. (Maybe he and Ven switched stories here aswell.)

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
The "Ven saving Terra" was a mis-translation and was really supposed to say "Ven, you may someday save me" and when you play the English game of BBS, the dialogue pretty much shows the correct translation.

Mis-Translation:
Terra: You saved me.
Ventus: Of course. We're friends. It was the natural thing to do.
Terra: I suppose. Thanks, Ven.

Final game:
Terra: Someday you may save me (it can also translate to "when I need you, Ven, I know you'll be there" which is basically the same thing)
Ventus: Of course. Why wouldn't I? We're friends after all.
Terra: Yeah... thanks, Ven.

That part wasn't really changed. But everything else you listed is right. It's really cool to look back at the original trailers and wonder "what if that was in the final game"

Last edited:

CreativeGenius13

While we are going through things cut from Final Project, Does anyone have pictures of the cut levels/worlds from the JPN version of BBS.

I believe there were 4 Jungle Book realted areas and then ??? Sword and the Stone areas. No matter how long I search, I never find more then King Louie's Palace with Terra.

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I believe there were 4 Jungle Book realted areas and then ??? Sword and the Stone areas. No matter how long I search, I never find more then King Louie's Palace with Terra.

[video=youtube;TxX9huOsGF0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TxX9huOsGF0[/video]

Also Sword in the Stone was not going to be in BBS, that turned out to be false. Basically KeyToTruth looked at the files and one of the files was called "Mysterious Wasteland" and he thought it had something to do with Sword in the Stone. When he actually got to the area via hacks, he found out that "Mysterious Wasteland" was just another level that was going to be in the Keyblade Graveyard.

CreativeGenius13

I question how Mysterious Wasteland tied into Sword in the Stone.

Do you have picture sof Mysterious Wasteland?

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
The whole thorned area was something created by the programming team to show Nomura the capabilities of the PSP and stuff. It didnt fit with the story, but, it definitely showed off what the game could be capable of.

Mysterious Wastland just sounds like an alternate name for "The Badlands"

skyfoxx

Silver Member
Awards
I never liked "The Badlands". It's stiupid and cheesy.

I kind of agree... but it doesn't bother me that much.
And no, I unfortunately don't have a picture of "Mysterious Wasteland" or anything since the hacker never actually showed any pictures of it. Although he did make a video of other areas he managed to hack into (one of them was just a white block with a blue background... lol, obviously just a default area from the Game Engine)

[video=youtube;n2JjQZYxkoI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2JjQZYxkoI[/video]

Other interesting fact: The hacker also said that in the English version, they deleted the areas that didn't make it in the final game such as the Disney Castle Library and all the Jungle Book areas. I suppose that would explain how they managed to get some more stuff in.

Silverslide

need some more candy cane
Yall is some haters.

Badlands sounds like some ghetto place, and that is real G.

HeartSeams

is back?
Awards
I never liked "The Badlands". It's stiupid and cheesy.
Do you know what a badland is?

A badlands (also badland) is a type of arid terrain where softer sedimentary rocks and clay-rich soils have been extensively eroded by wind and water. It can resemble malpaís, a terrain of volcanic rock. Canyons, ravines, gullies, hoodoos and other such geological forms are common in badlands. ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back