• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Classic Command System or Command Deck?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Anagram

Banned
classic is pretty bland dude, especially when there are a lot of interesting and cool ways to implement it.

Subjective. Since I find the deck incredibly bland and overpowered which saps any interest to be creative or inventive. Each title with the deck in it literally has one of several commands that usually result in a "command">"command">cure pattern. (BBS for example is thundersurge>surge>cure or Magnega>thunder>cure or how DDD is basically balloongas and cures)
At least with KH1's classic I was actually rewarded or intrigued to try alternates thanks to tech points and heartless weaknesses.
KH2 even felt more rewarding or fun a battle system when on the final mixes proud or critical to me and that's coming from one that rarely acknowledges anything of KH2.

The deck is just overpowered, broken and dull at this point imo. I also find it ironic people get onto KH1 or 2 for spamming X and reactions when all we've had for ages now is spamming the command button. Keyblades also seem to get less and less useful as time goes on doing pisspoor damage. (whats the point in this weapon if its useless to me?)

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Even if classic did return, I would like some kind of way to pull off powerful, effective, and cool-looking moves. Hm... oh, I know!

The system can be similar to the one in the Remix version of KH1 FM; classic style, but special moves would work sort of like how Sonic Blade, Strike Raid, or Ars Arcanum did in KH1 FM, only with a greater variety to choose from. Meet certain criteria (example: simply get within range, or knock foe off-balance), press triangle, consume MP, execute attack and look badass without breaking the game.

How does that sound?

Anagram

Banned
That would be beautiful I think. So long as the classic system of KH1, or even 2 to some extents, were the core. Your basically thinking along the lines of limit like moves. (or KH1's version of limit-like moves) =D

BlackOsprey

Hell yeah
Awards
Speaking of the "classic" system, how would you want the MP bar to function? KH1-style, with segments that can be recharged by beating the hell out of things, or KHII-style, an unsegmented bar that can be completely drained in one go by healing magic, but recharges itself once it runs out?

Anagram

Banned
KH1 style. The KH2 style was a bit to...easy I guess. You could just wait for it to refill.

Muke

whatever
Awards
For KH III it definitely is gonna be II style, we saw it in the Trailers.

Divine Past

Bronze Member
Awards
KH1 style. The KH2 style was a bit to...easy I guess. You could just wait for it to refill.

I think the KH2 was much more skillfull tbh. The first one once you got MP Haste/Rage just meant unless you were awful at the game, you will always have some MP for cure available for you because you do basic stuff.

In 2, you have to plan out your cures or reflects because you'll need to wait out a cooldown period which means being much more cautious.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
the cooldown is shit and kh's recharge was too slow, magic was mostly MIA and then the encounter was over before you had MP again. i think there should be two MP bars (better detailed in previous post here), one for your average aero, fire, thunder spells, rechargeable quickly like in episode duscae, and a second bar for big spells and maneuvers like curaga and sonic blade. not to mention better balancing, i want to use magic frequently but not rely on it, or feel like its useless.

and accessibility is an issue, i'm either limited to four spells in quickbar or be distracted from the action to go to the magic or item menu? that needs to change one way or another.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
Subjective. Since I find the deck incredibly bland and overpowered which saps any interest to be creative or inventive. Each title with the deck in it literally has one of several commands that usually result in a "command">"command">cure pattern. (BBS for example is thundersurge>surge>cure or Magnega>thunder>cure or how DDD is basically balloongas and cures)
At least with KH1's classic I was actually rewarded or intrigued to try alternates thanks to tech points and heartless weaknesses.
KH2 even felt more rewarding or fun a battle system when on the final mixes proud or critical to me and that's coming from one that rarely acknowledges anything of KH2.

The deck is just overpowered, broken and dull at this point imo. I also find it ironic people get onto KH1 or 2 for spamming X and reactions when all we've had for ages now is spamming the command button. Keyblades also seem to get less and less useful as time goes on doing pisspoor damage. (whats the point in this weapon if its useless to me?)

I never knew what Tech Points did in KH1 lol. This is interesting to see how people played the game. In KH1 and 2, it's basically attack like crazy, maybe a Thundaga, then Cure. In moments of death, reflect or something. You were spot on with BbS and the other titles, I always played attack commands then cure at the end.

I love the system like that though, but if they can find a way to make magic mean more I'm all for it. I think that 2.8 serves as a good place to test out a new system and see how players react. If it's positive, they can bring it into KH3.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I never knew what Tech Points did in KH1 lol. This is interesting to see how people played the game. In KH1 and 2, it's basically attack like crazy, maybe a Thundaga, then Cure. In moments of death, reflect or something. You were spot on with BbS and the other titles, I always played attack commands then cure at the end.

I love the system like that though, but if they can find a way to make magic mean more I'm all for it. I think that 2.8 serves as a good place to test out a new system and see how players react. If it's positive, they can bring it into KH3.
tech points were basically bonus EXP for fulfilling conditions. you'd get them for blocking, deflecting and such. beginning of the game you'd get only 1 or 2 but the stronger the enemy, the more tech points. it'd be great to bring them back for III but at this point in the KH series, leveling is pretty optional for many players so they may want to change what it offers players.

kuraudoVII

D'oh, I missed!
Awards
I'd prefer a mix of the two systems myself. A couple of years back, I would probably have been all over the idea of the command deck system, but after playing through the Final Mix versions of II and Birth by Sleep consecutively, I can definitely see some of the issues from the latter.

For me, the classic system can be the core. The combat for the most part should be similar to Kingdom Hearts I and Critical Mode in II where you have to be strategically ballsy if you want to win. Tech points definitely need to be a thing again (really missed those in the later games). However, there should also be a system where Sora can customize some moves and create either a couple of standard attacks or Limit Breaks. This is where the command deck system can come in and be strong. Just combine a couple of spells/actions for a new attack/Limit that isn't too overpowered and I think it can work. Just don't link movement abilities such as High Jump or Arial Dodge or Glide to them. I also don't want to see actual abilities like Second Chance, Once More, Combat Boost, etc. to be tied to these, either. I love breaking Birth by Sleep, but I don't think that would be optimal for Kingdom Hearts III; give us a hard, yet fair challenge. Make abilities something that Sora gains naturally through leveling up or story progression.

I mentioned that I don't want movement abilities like High Jump and Glide to be tied to the command deck. Ironically, however, I wouldn't mind being able to create a couple of abilities that can be used for movement despite being meant for combat. Be honest, how hilariously awesome was it to go to Pete's Rec Room as Ventus, go outside and use two/three well used and leveled up Sliding Dashes in order to reach an area that you are meant to use Glide so that you can get Superglide early? I wouldn't mind using some of these abilities to think outside the box for certain things like that. I know that's partially more of a level design issue, but I thought I just throw that out there.

I've noticed that I have been all over the place on this subject, but another thing that I'd like to say is that the magic system NEEDS to be based more on Kingdom Hearts I. As other have mentioned, the magic system in Kingdom Hearts II was simultaneously too easy and too cumbersome. In the first game, you had to play skillfully in order to gain more magic through hitting enemies or being hit while having MP Hastega equipped. I know some are going to mention MP Gift, but even there, you won't always have that if Goofy dies or doesn't have enough MP, especially in Final Mix where it was somewhat nerfed.

Face My Fears

She's not an "it"!
Awards
I think that once the magic system has bars that you can actually measure the magic usage accurately instead of guessing in KH2, that will be a step in the right direction.

Vasquez

Awards
Command system.

Also I hope gameplay is redesigned to make enemies actually reel back consistently, when you hit with a keyblade combo like in kh1 and kh2.

Finally, make basic keyblade combos flow faster like in kh2.

It seems like in BBS and 3D the last thing they want you to be doing is using the keyblade basic combos.

ultima-demi

(>..)>
Awards
Classic.

I feel the way magic worked with the classic system would work best for Aqua.Honestly Sora felt like a better mage than Aqua because of the classic system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back