• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Completely new form of life discovered.

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

krexia

Translator
Awards
Wait, you mean today's xkcd was based on real news??

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
Yes.
I first heard it last night on the news, then read about it in the papers today :/

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
errrm :\ it's not a new "form of life" because it's still carbon-based. It's just an evolved tangent in how life is capable of functioning. Basically, the environment that the bacteria were found was so saturated with toxic chemicals such as Arsenic that they incorporated it into their structure in place of Phosphate in order to survive. Phosphate and Arenic, as you can tell by the periodic table, are very similar in function because of their electron structure, though Arsenic is rather inefficient for a few reasons (larger molecule, more polarized makes it susceptible to hydrolysis, less energy in its bonds, etc.). Bacteria tend to live in places that we typically thought incapable of life (volcanos, frozen in glaciers, at the bottom of the ocean) and this is just another checkmark of extreme places that life is capable. In the end, carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen are still the precursors to life that we have always looked for in extraterrestrial bodies.

O

Oberon

All I really got from the article when I read it is that lifeforms can adapt to their living conditions even moreso than we previously thought. On a very fundamental level, moreover.

Though, considering the life form in question was so small, it would make sense that it could incorporate arsenic over phosphorus when the conditions warrant. It wouldn't work with say, a complex organism like humans.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I find this exciting. That means there is definitely a chance of life under the ice oceans of Europa, one of Jupiter's moon and any planet or moon in general. Though I thought men were foolish thinking there couldn't be a chance of life on these other planets and moons considering bacteria is a living organism (even if it is monocellular) and we always hear of bacteria in space.

Finding out that bacteria on Earth could adapt and exist by either Phosphorus or Arsenic just shows how easy it is to evolve under extreme conditions and how there is an eve greater chance of life just beyond our planet's atmosphere.

We are also closer to finding this
The_Devil_in_the_Dark_233.JPG

out in space.

Yeah, closer to finding a Mama Horta/Silicon based life out in the final frontier~
And Spock too~

TheMuffinMan

Armchair Administrator
That means there is definitely a chance of life under the ice oceans of Europa, one of Jupiter's moon and any planet or moon in general.

It has always been considered that there could be plant-life on Europa.

Okay, so, like I said above, the thing about this is that it has not changed our idea of what structure of an organism can exist in the universe. It simply alters certain mitigating factors of energy/nutrient exchange to sustain life. In the end, this organism is still carbon-based, and marginally relies on nitrogen and water to exist. And, again, when we look for life on other planets we have always looked for liquid water and a nitrogen-based atmosphere. These are the largest precursors to life that we know, and this organism has not changed that. If this organism could survive with a cytoplasm lacking liquid water and hydrogen-based energy exchange then this would be a significantly more profound discovery. This is simply another extremophile bacteria that has been able to properly cripple itself in just the right manner in order to survive. It is a compensation, not improvement.

The implications of this discovery are little in the ways of extra-terrestrial life, and moreso beneficial to biochemical and bioengineering projects, as the industry absolutely loves to discover things like this and then immediately put them to work in developing new experimental structures and gene alterations and pharmaceuticals. Despite the NASA spear-heading, this discovery will probably find itself more in our medicine than it will in our space programs. Perhaps an immunity to Arsenic could be developed, and then we could immunize our soldiers to it for Chemical Warfare.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
It has always been considered that there could be plant-life on Europa.

Okay, so, like I said above, the thing about this is that it has not changed our idea of what structure of an organism can exist in the universe. It simply alters certain mitigating factors of energy/nutrient exchange to sustain life. In the end, this organism is still carbon-based, and marginally relies on nitrogen and water to exist. And, again, when we look for life on other planets we have always looked for liquid water and a nitrogen-based atmosphere. These are the largest precursors to life that we know, and this organism has not changed that. If this organism could survive with a cytoplasm lacking liquid water and hydrogen-based energy exchange then this would be a significantly more profound discovery. This is simply another extremophile bacteria that has been able to properly cripple itself in order to survive. It is a compensation, not improvement.

The implications of this discovery are little in the ways of extra-terrestrial life, and moreso beneficial to biochemical and bioengineering projects, as the industry absolutely loves to discover things like this and then immediately put them to work in developing new experimental structures and gene alterations and pharmaceuticals. Despite the NASA spear-heading, this discovery will probably find itself more in our medicine than it will in our space programs. Perhaps an immunity to Arsenic could be developed, and then we could immunize our soldiers to it for Chemical Warfare.

Not just soldiers, but plant workers, doctors, diplomats, world rulers. I think everybody would benefit from a Arsenic immunity drug.

Chuman

Dad of Boy
Awards
I don't understand this sciencey talk but new possible life is an amazing discovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back