• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Did Xion Do Justice To The Series? (spoilers)

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Takarifan101

Anyone who hasn't beaten Days I suggest you turn away now.

For those of you who have, what are your thoughts on Xion? Was she just a Mary-Sue Character? Or was she more than that?

I don't know about most of you, I liked her addition to the series. It's nice to see a female character who can fight for themselves, and on top of that is just plain awsome. I wish we could see more of her in the future but that's impossible. Even though I knew who she was from the begining I found myself sad while fighting her, and even sadder when she began fading from memories all together.

So I gave you my thoughts what are yours?

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
I personally love Xion. Even though she was
Sora's memories of Kairi :/
She acted completely different from Kairi's personality. She cared about both Roxas and Axel, didn't treat Riku like crap, and could actually fight. The only problem I had involving Xion is that her NA voice actor (Alyson Stoner) sucked. Alyson Stoner didn't match with Xion.

But yeah, I found Xion quite a delight. Another one of the carbon copies of Kairi that is better than Kairi. Wonder when Kairi will finally be done right like Namine, Xion, and Aqua seem to have been.

Takarifan101

I personally love Xion. Even though she was
Sora's memories of Kairi :/
She acted completely different from Kairi's personality. She cared about both Roxas and Axel, didn't treat Riku like crap, and could actually fight. The only problem I had involving Xion is that her NA voice actor (Alyson Stoner) sucked. Alyson Stoner didn't match with Xion.

But yeah, I found Xion quite a delight. Another one of the carbon copies of Kairi that is better than Kairi. Wonder when Kairi will finally be done right like Namine, Xion, and Aqua seem to have been.

I agree Alyson wasn't the best pick but I think she played out the final scene fairly well. She just reminded me too much of Namine from Re: Com for some reason. I geuss I expected her to be more... light hearted if you will

Sionel

yeah i also agree with the sucky va i think thats disneys doing by putting in terrible filler va's for replacements or main characters who don't last long. Aside from her bad va i think xion was an on the line character where points were good and others lead to i guess we could of done without her but having her in roxas's story instead of namine the whole time was pretty cool cause yeah she can fight with the keyblade even though we all know how that turns out.

Zero Sora

Now comes with 50% more bullshit
Awards
lonbilly said:
But yeah, I found Xion quite a delight. Another one of the carbon copies of Kairi that is better than Kairi.
...what? Xion wasn't a copy of Kairi at all =/ He/She was a copy of Sora. Xion only looked like Kairi to Roxas and Axel. And that's only because of the fact that Kairi was Sora's strongest memory at the time of Xion's creation.

Lonbilly

an old man plaguing the site like a phantom
Awards
...what? Xion wasn't a copy of Kairi at all =/ He/She was a copy of Sora. Xion only looked like Kairi to Roxas and Axel. And that's only because of the fact that Kairi was Sora's strongest memory at the time of Xion's creation.

I didn't mean literally a carbon copy of Kairi. I meant by looks. Nomura has used the same base for the main KH females, which is what I was referring to.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Xion does justice to the series. At least more than Kairi.

Think otherwise and I swear I will personally smite you.

Also adds a female touch to the game. Larxenne doesn't count because she doesn't act like one.

Also, Xion may have been a Mary Sue in a way but she did it well, just like Namine.

Takarifan101

Wow, I'm glad to see that others love her as much as I do. For some reason I'm so hooked on Days. I've even lost my love for bbs (for now) playing the last battle over and over again. For some reaosn her sacrafice seems so... unquie.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Also adds a female touch to the game. Larxenne doesn't count because she doesn't act like one.

That made me giggle, cause Larxene is actually much more 'female' than Xion. She's a real nobody of a woman, not a gender chaning doll, for one.

I like strong female characters like Larxene, and hopefully, Aqua. Xion was a little less damsel in distress, since she could fight, but still. She got carried around and saved a bit too much for my liking :/ Then again, she's a young girl, so. Guess it makes a little sense.

*TwilightNight*

Bronze Member
Awards
I agree. Larxene may have more balls than most of the men, but she's highly feminine otherwise. The drama queen movements, the, while scary, giggling, one hip out poses, she even traces her hair, etc. Her flirting, her female arrogance. Hell, even her render has the typical model pose, except with...knives.

As for Xion, my previous sentiments of her remain true until some upcoming title makes her role worth something than a minor aspect of Roxas that could've been explained otherwise. Xion is Sora's memories, the missing "chain" to flow with the rest, but in the end, she returned to him/them, making it go back to square one no matter what happens: Roxas needed regardless. So all that only for things to be left the same with or without the unneeded complications added? (even the whole thing with Deep Dive was, whether or not she spoke to Riku, he would have stopped Roxas no matter what the cost for the personal reason as to why he was there in the first place: Sora. Surely not to enjoy the view of the skyscraper). Granted, they had to be careful, but you really don't need Xion overall as of now. Everyone forgetting her, while predictable, makes Days severely contrived, especially since the game revolved around her mostly. With that gone, there's nothing left for any character in the future to refer to. Who's going to mention her other than, those who might or might not remember? Not Axel, not the Organization, Xemnas by the way of his notes, perhaps, if he kept one. But I doubt it would make an impact anymore. Even Sora might have recalled CoM at the end of KH2.

Not only did Nomura say it might be difficult to bring Xion back in because of the existence, but he expanded in an interview that Roxas didn't really inherit her keyblade, but awoke something within him for it. Which makes it all the more loose than it was previously that other things may have triggered it depending. As well as the fact that most of the connections to BBS are not centered on her minus that time when Xigbar saw her as Ven. Her creation for the mere fact of sympathizing until the finish won't make her suddenly my favorite either (takes a lot for me to cry, KH has yet to do that). Her personality was also very, very typical. Here we have someone else who's cute, shy, nice, a sweet, sacrificial, and awwness. It was like a mixture of Kairi and Naminé. Even Olette had more originality in character to be seen. Her story also screamed of KH2 Roxas nestled with Riku Replica's story, to even dying in someone's arms (I swear, if Riku Replica wasn't a guy and adorable, there'll be more "nuuuu T_T", cause his fate was much more awful :/), except the difference was Xion's choice in the end, and how it was done. Xion was truthfully meant as a character that doesn't directly affect things if she never existed, or existed, to round it up. Won't hold it against them: it's not like they could have done anything else in case it clashed with the sequel. It's the way of retconning, even if it was the decision in the first place.

Otherwise, her character goes to the "neutral" category with Kairi. Not enough to impress(yet), but not worth any hate. I honestly have yet to hate any KH character. Epic game, though. It covered a lot of other stuff away from the ones above.

Last edited:

Diastyl

Xion was Sora's clone made with his memories. Without Xion, Roxas would have never realized the bad things that Xemnas would have done and Sora would have never woken up.

And Xion was friggin better than Kairi cuz she could use the keyblade and beat the crap out of Heartless!

Radon

mofo
I thought she was a nice addition to the series. The more characters the better I believe. She also made the whole replica idea seem like it wasn't just a one off thing to make the story of CoM more interesting.

asheron

I thought she was fun a little average personality wise, I think her end was one of the more tragic video game deaths to date. I mean sure you have you're typical, "Aeris death" that everyone will think of and compare it too but the way roxas reacted and how Axel reacted. I found myself wondering what would happen to them as opposed to her because we may not have enjoyed her but she had a profound impact on some of my favorite characters in the series

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
I agree. Larxene may have more balls than most of the men, but she's highly feminine otherwise. The drama queen movements, the, while scary, giggling, one hip out poses, she even traces her hair, etc. Her flirting, her female arrogance. Hell, even her render has the typical model pose, except with...knives.

As for Xion, my previous sentiments of her remain true until some upcoming title makes her role worth something than a minor aspect of Roxas that could've been explained otherwise. Xion is Sora's memories, the missing "chain" to flow with the rest, but in the end, she returned to him/them, making it go back to square one no matter what happens: Roxas needed regardless. So all that only for things to be left the same with or without the unneeded complications added? (even the whole thing with Deep Dive was, whether or not she spoke to Riku, he would have stopped Roxas no matter what the cost for the personal reason as to why he was there in the first place: Sora. Surely not to enjoy the view of the skyscraper). Granted, they had to be careful, but you really don't need Xion overall as of now. Everyone forgetting her, while predictable, makes Days severely contrived, especially since the game revolved around her mostly. With that gone, there's nothing left for any character in the future to refer to. Who's going to mention her other than, those who might or might not remember? Not Axel, not the Organization, Xemnas by the way of his notes, perhaps, if he kept one. But I doubt it would make an impact anymore. Even Sora might have recalled CoM at the end of KH2.

Not only did Nomura say it might be difficult to bring Xion back in because of the existence, but he expanded in an interview that Roxas didn't really inherit her keyblade, but awoke something within him for it. Which makes it all the more loose than it was previously that other things may have triggered it depending. As well as the fact that most of the connections to BBS are not centered on her minus that time when Xigbar saw her as Ven. Her creation for the mere fact of sympathizing until the finish won't make her suddenly my favorite either (takes a lot for me to cry, KH has yet to do that). Her personality was also very, very typical. Here we have someone else who's cute, shy, nice, a sweet, sacrificial, and awwness. It was like a mixture of Kairi and Naminé. Even Olette had more originality in character to be seen. Her story also screamed of KH2 Roxas nestled with Riku Replica's story, to even dying in someone's arms (I swear, if Riku Replica wasn't a guy and adorable, there'll be more "nuuuu T_T", cause his fate was much more awful :/), except the difference was Xion's choice in the end, and how it was done. Xion was truthfully meant as a character that doesn't directly affect things if she never existed, or existed, to round it up. Won't hold it against them: it's not like they could have done anything else in case it clashed with the sequel. It's the way of retconning, even if it was the decision in the first place.

Otherwise, her character goes to the "neutral" category with Kairi. Not enough to impress(yet), but not worth any hate. I honestly have yet to hate any KH character. Epic game, though. It covered a lot of other stuff away from the ones above.

Can I just hire you to say stuff for me ^^; I agree with everything you've said, right down to Olette.

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
Damn, TN, you and your Xion hate essay.

But really, even if Xion was really there to further the storyline and was really unneeded (just like pretty much all the Organization members apart from Xemnas, Xigbar and Roxas), you need more vision. A good eye can quickly reveal room for expansion of Xion in way not relating to Xion as a person that can stretch into BbS and KH III, such as bringing the perspective into replicas, for one. Even if Nomura put much emphasis on Xion because how she was made was a nice concept, it is highly doubtful he would take it as the only consideration to put Xion in such a perspective.

Then we have the RAX trio, with Xion helping keep Roxas occupied while Axel ran off to CO. Would you rather they removed Xion and let Roxas hang around for several weeks with hardly any insight into the story? It is very hard to develop a character without the use of another, and Xion rather helped fulfil that role while Axel was gone.

Also, for your say that Xion did not affect Deep Dive, you are forgetting the reason Roxas or Riku did not cut each other as they passed. I had always wondered why, and Xion helped explain that. For a more minor role, during KH II, I had wondered why Roxas left TWTNW with Axel shouting at him, then ended back there for his bout with Riku, which is also explained by Xion.

As for your Riku Replica rant, you have to consider the meaning of tragedy: A very sad event or situation, from my thesaurus. Riku Replica fought for himself, being more selfish, and lost, making it not very sad. On the other hand, Xion fought for Roxas and Sora, willingly choosing to sacrifice herself in order to defy Xemnas' goal. Even if she died the way she wanted, the sense of self-sacrifice makes us feel for her, after all, who would willingly kill himself or herself easily? This is what makes us sad, her heart-wrenching sacrifice. The dying speech, in fact, makes it more of a tragedy because of the self-realization and the task she delegated to Roxas in an act of trust, to correct her mistake when she is gone, again emphasising to us her oncoming demise.. Riku Replica pales greatly in contrast, in the sense of tragedy.

And that's about it... Yea... Since I can never change anyone's opinion of Xion's personality, even if some think of her as such, one must consider what she was dealing with: isolation at being completely different from others, dilemma based on her own composition and ability to affect others etc. She's like Namine, except she takes her own initiative to seek her own meaning while Namine needs Axel to get her going.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
Xion fought for Roxas and Sora, willingly choosing to sacrifice herself in order to defy Xemnas' goal. Even if she died the way she wanted, the sense of self-sacrifice makes us feel for her, after all, who would willingly kill himself or herself easily? This is what makes us sad, her heart-wrenching sacrifice. The dying speech, in fact, makes it more of a tragedy because of the self-realization and the task she delegated to Roxas in an act of trust, to correct her mistake when she is gone, again emphasising to us her oncoming demise.

You see, I got something totally different from that, and it's probably because I am a total Roxas fangirl. She did not kill herself. She made her best friend kill her. And it tore him up so badly that he cried. That says something about her personality, to me...

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
But that's because it's the only choice she had. I doubt she wanted to make Roxas sad, it is because no matter what Roxas has to defeat her or in the end all the worlds will pay the price when Xemnas gets Kingdom Hearts.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
But that's because it's the only choice she had. I doubt she wanted to make Roxas sad, it is because no matter what Roxas has to defeat her or in the end all the worlds will pay the price when Xemnas gets Kingdom Hearts.

Why couldn't she have let Namine do her thing? I know Axel showed up to stop her, but what if she'd just gone ahead anyway? Or what if she'd just told Roxas the truth when she found out?

I think she was too indecisive--and yeah, I can see why. But I would have admired her a whole lot more if her number one concern was to 'make sure my friends are okay' rather than 'be with my friends'...

Snow

Stain me Red with Blood
There probably wasn't enough time left for Namine to do her thing... Not that sure since I haven't played the English game to that point so I was pretty much guessing what was being said.

Goldpanner

KHI Site Staff
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
There probably wasn't enough time left for Namine to do her thing... Not that sure since I haven't played the English game to that point so I was pretty much guessing what was being said.

Yeah. I haven't even played the English one yet (8th october hurry uuuuuup)... but, in Japanese, the org shows up, and Diz gets all pissy saying Xion led them there. And she says she'll take care of it and runs off to get pwnt by axel and hauled back to twtnw.

I think, she could have left a note telling Axel what she was going to do--that's the first thing he asks when he sees her. Then maybe he would have had time to come to terms with everything and would have found a way to buy her time... thats what he was doing the whole game, it seems. buying her and rox time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back