• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Film ► Dredd

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
Just saw this last night. Based on the 2000AD character created by John Wagner and Carlos Ezquerra. Written by Alex Garland, the dude who wrote the Beach, Sunshine and 28 Days Later.

I've never read a Judge Dredd comic in my life and I really enjoyed this movie. It's simplistic and very straightforward. But it's really well done. Mega-City One looks amazing and the concept of the Judges is really interesting and appeals to the lawyer in me. Karl Urban rocked it as Dredd and Olivia Thirlby was amazing as Anderson.

I hear that the movie hasn't been doing very well financially which is really disappointing because I would love to see Garland get to do some sequels and explore the authoritanism and fascism of Dredd and the Judges.

If you like sci-fi action movies, I really recommend you go see this film. And don't pirate it. Put money into it because I want that sequel.

Dentim

A boy in a playsuit.
Awards
I've been wanting to see this one, but I've got an assload of other movies I want to see as well. : /

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
I've been wanting to see this too but I'm unable too. It's a shame it's not doing well at he box office because critics have been mostly kind to it but the gory violence is a turn off for a lot of people. It looks like something I can get into though.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
The only remotely bad thing I heard was, "the plot is pretty much the same as the Raid, except sort of better".

It's a shame it's doing so bad in the box office. I blame Stalone, and the reboot-mania of recent months creating a reboot-phobia. A friend of mine refused to watch it based on that reason, and I forced him to watch it anyway, and he thanked me for it.

Last edited:

Johnny Stooge

Hawkguy
Awards
I've been wanting to see this too but I'm unable too. It's a shame it's not doing well at he box office because critics have been mostly kind to it but the gory violence is a turn off for a lot of people. It looks like something I can get into though.
I didn't find the violence particularly gory. There are some full on parts but thanks to the Slo-Mo drug a lot of the violence is slowed really down like you see on those high speed animal documentaries. A guy gets the whole side of his cheek blown off but it was an interesting way of seeing it.

The only remotely bad thing I heard was, "the plot is pretty much the same as the Raid, except sort of better".
The unfortunate thing there is Dredd was meant to come out last year. There was a lot of delays in the movie.

I should also recommend the soundtrack. It's by Paul Leonard-Morgan and it hit me as one of the more perfect sci-fi scores I've ever heard.

[video=youtube;x-iZgkkGuME]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-iZgkkGuME[/video]

Trag

Bronze Member
I have been so hyped to see this for so long -.- Every week my friends say they'll go with me and then a few cancel and the rest of us just end up playing games. I think I'll go alone, I'm reading Shimura and the concept of Judges has been gripping. The Judge Dredd Universe has been calling me, I may start picking up some of the comics.

Zen

Silver Member
Awards
Bumping this thread because I just saw this on Netflix, and shit was so good. Stories with dystopian societies/worlds tend to be a favorite of mine, and this hits all the right notes with that concept (and by extension its use of Judges). If you have Netflix, I highly recommend watching it. Buying this on Blu-Ray as soon as I can.

And yeh, I have to give major props to the music as well. I tend not to pay much attention to the music in most movies outside of key moments, but I do think it's noticeable in Dredd in a good way.

[video=youtube;CShs5bofASo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CShs5bofASo[/video]

Space Cowboy

Ultra Haunted
Awards
Need to watch this again.

And whoever stops this from getting a sequel gets a lifetime in the iso-cubes.

It has got me interested in picking up some Dredd comics though.

quiteMAD

What a guy!
Awards
Website
defineprog.deviantart.com
Yeah the minute I watched that movie for the first time, I went on Amazon and added a whole bunch of Dredd comics to my wishlist lol.

I don't think we'll be getting a sequel though, sadly. There was a petition for it a while back, but I don't think it went anywhere. It's a shame, a Dark Judges movie from the team that made this would have been amazing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back