• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Females in Kingdom Hearts: A problem that needs addressing?

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
oveliagirlhaditright.tumblr.com
@Ruran I think Xion was intended to be a girl for the most part? I don't know. It's hard to tell with her, but with the way things are being set up now, I suppose that's definitely the direction they're taking it, so let's just call her a girl, I guess (as we need some semi-well written ones, anyway).

And didn't Nomura say long ago, that, "I wanted Roxas' reason to leave the Organization to be because of the loss of a member he cared about, and I thought it best that that person be a girl"? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Still... That is another problem with this series, in that some of the girls can actually be argued as boys (Xion and Namine). -le sigh-

You bring up a good point, Orion. I know that girls are viewed differently in Japan, and I have tried to keep that in mind (and defend Kairi as a "good character", when people hate on her--or her "relationship" with Sora--just because they have differing views on females than Eastern countries).

Though it does get confusing when SE seems to be going back and forth with what they want to do with Kairi, and they bring in action girls like Xion and Aqua to the mix. I think knowing who Kairi is exactly, wouldn't be such a problem if Square didn't keep going back and forth with her. LOL.

I also wonder just what the heck they plan to do with Namine in III and after. She truly is an enigma at this point in time, and doesn't fit in with the other KH groups (I also find it off that no one ever complains about her being a damsel, as she's even more passive than Kairi is, but to each their own).

You know... this whole thing is just weird to me, since Square is known for writing some amazing females. I wonder why they seem almost reluctant to try such a thing with KH...

Last edited:

Ruran

Flesh by mother, soul by father
Awards
@Ruran I think Xion was intended to be a girl for the most part? I don't know. It's hard to tell with her, but with the way things are being set up now, I suppose that's definitely the direction they're taking it, so let's just call her a girl, I guess (as we need some semi-well written ones, anyway).

And didn't Nomura say long ago, that, "I wanted Roxas' reason to leave the Organization to be because of the loss of a member he cared about, and I thought it best that that person be a girl"? I could be wrong, but I seem to remember something along those lines.

Still... That is another problem with this series, is that some of the girls can actually be argued as boys (Xion and Namine). -le sigh-

You bring up a good point, Orion. I know that girls are viewed differently in Japan, and I have tried to keep that in mind (and defend Kairi as a "good character", when people hate on her--or her "relationship" with Sora--just because they have differing views on females than Eastern countries).

Though it does get confusing when SE seems to be going back and forth with what they want to do with Kairi, and they bring in action girls like Xion and Aqua to the mix. I think knowing who Kairi is exactly, wouldn't be such a problem if Square didn't keep going back and forth with her. LOL.

I also wonder just what the heck they plan to do with Namine in III and after. She truly is an enigma at this point and time, and doesn't fit in with the other KH groups (I also find it off that no one ever complains about her being a damsel, as she's even more passive than Kairi is, but to each their own).

You know... this whole thing is just weird to me, since Square is known for writing some amazing females. I wonder why they seem almost reluctant to try such a thing with KH...

Xion was always meant to be a girl, I was just questioning the writer's mentality because she's still a "Sora's clone" and you can see it in things like the way they fight.

By "passive" I mean Kairi's role in the story, not her personality. Kairi has has the "go get 'em!" personality but her role is set up in a way in that virtually what ever personality she has is made irrelevant. Namine on the other, while meek and shy, her personality does drive and change with the story. The events of CoM happened partially because Namine starts off as a very weak individual who can't stand for her self, therefor, being an active part of the plot that can't be replaced. Eventually, Namine does learn to have more confidence as we see in KH2 and takes the initiative. Kairi just lacks this sort of growth.

Last edited:

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
Xion was always meant to be a girl, I was just questioning the writer's mentality because she's still a "Sora's clone" and you can see it in things like the way they fight.

By "passive" I mean Kairi's role in the story, not her personality. Kairi has has the "go get 'em!" personality but her role is set up in a way in that virtually what ever personality she has is made irrelevant. Namine on the other, while meek and shy, her personality does drive and change with the story. The events of CoM happened partially because Namine starts off as a very weak individual who can't stand for her self, therefor, being an active part of the plot that can't be replaced. Eventually, Namine does learn to have more confidence as we see in KH2 and takes the initiative. Kairi just lacks this sort of growth.

Ack! You replied before I got the chance to space out my post, because my laptop sucks. Sorry about that!

And I actually wasn't talking to you about the Namine thing, though I totally do get where you're coming from:) I was more referring to some of the more unreasonable (usually casual) fans who throw Kairi under the bus for not being able to fight, yet no one seems to do that with Namine.

That's especially odd to me, because though I know Namine's the much better and developed character, her growth seems to falter at times? Like, there's no denying that she admirably seems to grow a backbone in CoM, but then in II she falls into the same pattern she did in CoM, and works for DiZ to tear apart Roxas and Xion's lives. Understandable, of course, but Namine's a bit of headache to me.

I mean, she completely screws Sora over and feels bad about that, and then tries to set that right. However, she then effectively screws over Roxas and Xion, and we can clearly see she feels bad about that in Re:Coded. And the entire time, I'm just like clutching my head, wanting to scream, "Namine, break the cycle already, girl!"

...Sorry this is starting to turn into a post about my feelings on Namine. Just ignore me, as I don't want to derail the thread. But maybe I will make a thread about this, so we can all discuss Namine's future path.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Namine walked a similar path to Riku, in seeking redemption. I think it could be a good character arc and development for her. Maybe...

LightUpTheSky452

Haddyn Slayer
Awards
Website
i wonder how kairi can develop in kh3 without it feeling like she went from 0 to 30?

It'd probably be best if they start out by developing her thoughts and feelings. Maybe even add some flashbacks in there, like BbSV2 was hinting at, and show how she really wants to save the world and help her friends. They also need to reinsert her importance, which shouldn't be difficult, as she should be more important than ever in this game. And we need to see her grow as a fighter. She shouldn't win battles at first, I think. Granted, she should put up a good fight, but we should see how she gets better over time, and how one of her friends getting hurt is her motivator or something. Her also making a connection with Namine (and maybe even Xion), the way Sora did Roxas also might help to develop her, if she has a similar, "your burden can be mine now" type thing going on, or whatever. But these are just my two-cents:)

Ruran

Awards
Ack! You replied before I got the chance to space out my post, because my laptop sucks. Sorry about that!

And I actually wasn't talking to you about the Namine thing, though I totally do get where you're coming from:) I was more referring to some of the more unreasonable (usually casual) fans who throw Kairi under the bus for not being able to fight, yet no one seems to do that with Namine.

That's especially odd to me, because though I know Namine's the much better and developed character, her growth seems to falter at times? Like, there's no denying that she admirably seems to grow a backbone in CoM, but then in II she falls into the same pattern she did in CoM, and works for DiZ to tear apart Roxas and Xion's lives. Understandable, of course, but Namine's a bit of headache to me.

I mean, she completely screws Sora over and feels bad about that, and then tries to set that right. However, she then effectively screws over Roxas and Xion, and we can clearly see she feels bad about that in Re:Coded. And the entire time, I'm just like clutching my head, wanting to scream, "Namine, break the cycle already, girl!"

...Sorry this is starting to turn into a post about my feelings on Namine. Just ignore me, as I don't want to derail the thread. But maybe I will make a thread about this, so we can all discuss Namine's future path.

Personally, I wouldn't mind if Namine walked a similar path to Riku, in seeking redemption. I think it could be a good character arc and development for her. Maybe...

lol, sorry, I'll fix it~

The Namine thing was semi aimed at you but meant more as a general statement. Although I think my reasoning still holds water as to why doesn't Namine doesn't get as much flak as Kairi when it comes to not fighting. To put it simply, Kairi's the fiery redhead who's been wanting to help since the first game and it's clear she means physically while Namine has always been more or a gentle, spiritual aid.

I always thought that that was kind of the point, Namine always gets stuck with the "icky jobs", the stuff she doesn't have full control over but has to do anyway for the "greater good". The massage she left in Jiminy's Journal was her attempt to break the cycle.

i wonder how kairi can develop in kh3 without it feeling like she went from 0 to 30?

Keep her in the background and not bring too much attention to her? I'm still of the belief that out of all the games for Kairi to be involved in KH3 is the one she should take a back seat in. Sort of. Have a presence, participate, but not take center stage. KH3 was just a bad point to try a start making major contributions to her character.

Combatative wise though they can probably use that magic...time...compression thing Lea used 3D, but I hope they either don't use it, use it sparingly, or have some sort of consequences for using it too much because it can easily become a hax.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
lol, sorry, I'll fix it~

The Namine thing was semi aimed at you but meant more as a general statement. Although I think my reasoning still holds water as to why doesn't Namine doesn't get as much flak as Kairi when it comes to not fighting. To put it simply, Kairi's the fiery redhead who's been wanting to help since the first game and it's clear she means physically while Namine has always been more or a gentle, spiritual aid.

I always thought that that was kind of the point, Namine always gets stuck with the "icky jobs", the stuff she doesn't have full control over but has to do anyway for the "greater good". The massage she left in Jiminy's Journal was her attempt to break the cycle.

Keep her in the background and not bring too much attention to her? I'm still of the belief that out of all the games for Kairi to be involved in KH3 is the one she should take a back seat in. Sort of. Have a presence, participate, but not take center stage. KH3 was just a bad point to try a start making major contributions to her character.

Combatative wise though they can probably use that magic...time...compression thing Lea used 3D, but I hope they either don't use it, use it sparingly, or have some sort of consequences for using it too much because it can easily become a hax.

it definitly was. she should have had development way before the final game in the saga. the thing is, while i agree that compressed time training would be cheap, i could see nomura choosing to go that route.

maybe kairi could leave yen sid in the middle of her training to go aid sora in the middle of the game. then sora could complete her training by teaching her everyhting he learned from the MOM exam

Genocide

All you need to know.
Awards
The article was right, the writers seriously had NO idea what to do with Namine. Quite frankly, since Kairi was technically complete without her and Sora didn't need her, she could have remained her own being.

Repliku, probably the most somber character in the series, deserved to come back. Hell, I even contend that he's the most developed character in the series (I view Xehanort's development as imaginary).

Aqua is a bad ass, but pure kickassery does not proper development makes.

With Kairi though, I'm glad she got a Keyblade, but I hate HOW she got one.

I'd have preferred that she just summoned Destiny's Embrace as opposed to getting handed it nonchalantly by Riku.
He's all like "here you go. Put the other end in the bad guys"

She's given a chance to do something and it was HUGELY underwhelming. Now we see that che has the chance to do something. I just hope she doesn't just sue her way into it like she did with wielding.

Last edited:

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards

Very interesting, as I actually made the same observation about Naminé when I played KH 2, but that does not count solely for her but also for Riku.
They both screwed Sora over, she in CoM, he in KH 1, and both go about to "help" him by screwing over and destroying two other lives.
We can however see that Naminé feels bad about this even before it's done when she talks with Riku in Days:
Naminé: But if they join with her memories, things get a lot more complicated.
I would need to untangle her memory before I could finish Sora's... What was
supposed to take months might take years. DiZ would be furious.

Riku: So what's the solution?

Naminé: If I try to just jump in and rearrange her memory...then I risk Sora
waking up to find out that nobody remembers him anymore. I can't do that to
him. It's too late either way. His awakening will have to be delayed. I never
imagined Sora's Nobody and the other one would fight so hard to be their own
people. Unfortunately, the only real solution...is for them both to go away.

She's certainly reluctant to go that route, especially since one sentence before she remarks on her astonishment about Roxas and Xion fighting so hard to become their own entities.
Depending on how you read it though, you could however also be mean and say that Naminé proposes that solution only because she's too lazy to sort out the different memory sets and therefore resorts to having Roxas and Xion disappear because otherwise it would just take longer to restore Sora, but it would not be impossible.
Who cares if DiZ "gets furious" or if it takes longer to restore Sora? She certainly didn't care that Marluxia got furious when she refused to erase Sora's memory in CoM completely, and I dare to assume that Marluxia's wrath is surely more dangerous than DiZ's is.
Yet saying that totally disregards that Xemnas and the Org are still out there putting in place their own plans, so in the end it became a race for which team to succeed, leaving Naminé no real choice.

This is why Naminé is my favorite female main character in the series besides Aqua, it's not that she doesn't want to break the cycle, but that she cannot because all circumstances and other players are against her in the important situations so far. It's not like Riku who (partly) willingly caused a mess and chaos like in KH 1, but that she was forced into it the one or the other way anyways.

Her also making a connection with Namine (and maybe even Xion), the way Sora did Roxas also might help to develop her, if she has a similar, "your burden can be mine now" type thing going on, or whatever. But these are just my two-cents:)

That is actually one of the most important points, not only regarding Naminé, but all of the other main characters of the series, including Disney characters like Yen Sid, Mickey, Donald and Goofy. In order to become a full fledged main character on par with them and truly "part of the group" Kairi bitterly needs to interact and have screentime with characters other than Sora.

Although I think my reasoning still holds water as to why doesn't Namine doesn't get as much flak as Kairi when it comes to not fighting. To put it simply, Kairi's the fiery redhead who's been wanting to help since the first game and it's clear she means physically while Namine has always been more or a gentle, spiritual aid.

I think that has also much to do with the way both Kairi and Naminé were presented and handled throughout the series, while character development still doesn't equal with character screentime, the screentime Naminé had was used way better and more "concrete" than anything Kairi got (except maybe in KH 1 when she restores Sora).
So people can maybe easier "forgive" Naminé not fighting because she has another, not necessarily good, but graspable role in the overall plot. What has Kairi really going for her other than "Princess of Heart" which is more a plot device and being an implied Sora-fangirl?
Even right now, with Naminé's role since Coded being reduced more to "Miss Explanation and Miss Exposition", a role she shares with Yen Sid to a degree, has more substance to it than Kairi has so far, which is really a pity considering her potential.

The KH 2-manga has an entire chapter devoted to Kairi interacting with Axel after he nabs her in Twilight Town while they travel through a dark corridor, showing off much of Kairi's personality and in the end leading to her becoming sympathetic to Axel and Nobodies and when Saix appears, attacks and wounds Axel she actually tries to help him before Saix has two Berserker Nobodies take her away.
Such little tidbits that flesh her out as a person herself independently are nearly completely absent in the games, as small scenes like her interaction with Roxas or HPO in KH 2 are only scratching the surface and/or are often solely focused on Sora again instead of having her making her own connections and friends.

Indeed, somehow it also serves to show that while Naminé may have learnt a lesson and developed to another point, she cannot act upon it due to outside circumstances and necessities that get in the way.

I agree, I had this discussion with someone else earlier as well. KH 3 is probably the most "unsafe" point in the story they may have chosen to start her development, as the danger of her either being pushed into the background again too much so it becomes too few again is there as well as the prospect of giving her too much, making the rest of the narrative and characters suffer.
Both would probably result in her getting even more flak in the fandom than she already has, which would be something that should be avoided.
The writers in KH were never so good that they could juggle several subplots effectively, heck, even the pacing of the main plot feels off at times, so the chances of them messing this up is rather high.

I would guess that there is no real other realistic option than the time chamber, as sending her out on a real excursion before some significant training would be very unwise considering she's one of the seven holding up the stability of the universe. Nomura may have introduced this plot point specifically for that reason. In DDD Yen Sid only talks about the thingy when Lea is away to use it, so maybe in KH III we get to actually see it.

I guess one of the easiest restrictions would be that this "chamber" cannot be maintained for long (since it requires apparently the powers of Merlin and the three fairies together) and such each training session, although longer inside the chamber of course, would still have a set limit.

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
The article was right, the writers seriously had NO idea what to do with Namine. Quite frankly, since Kairi was technically complete without her and Sora didn't need her, she could have remained her own being.

Repliku, probably the most somber character in the series, deserved to come back. Hell, I even contend that he's the most developed character in the series (I view Xehanort's development as imaginary).

Aqua is a bad ass, but pure kickassery does not proper development makes.

With Kairi though, I'm glad she got a Keyblade, but I hate HOW she got one.

I'd have preferred that she just summoned Destiny's Embrace as opposed to getting handed it nonchalantly by Riku.
He's all like "here you go. Put the other end in the bad guys"

She's given a chance to do something and it was HUGELY underwhelming. Now we see that che has the chance to do something. I just hope she doesn't just sue her way into it like she did with wielding.

I seem to recall that the reason why riku gave it to her as opposed to summoning it herself is that the destiny embrace is technically riku`s keyblade. Kairi has yet to summon her own yet.

Antifa Lockhart

Awards
I seem to recall that the reason why riku gave it to her as opposed to summoning it herself is that the destiny embrace is technically riku`s keyblade. Kairi has yet to summon her own yet.
That's never been confirmed, they both use their key blades at the same time. So, that seems highly unlikely.

I'm posting on a phone at the moment, but for now can I just say the whole "oh it's feminist tumblr therefore lol" attitude is disgusting and kind of reinforcing why social justice bloggers go a little overboard sometimes.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
That's never been confirmed, they both use their key blades at the same time. So, that seems highly unlikely.

It was a detail that was included in the novels, so it's not 100% confirmed necessarily, but it isn't just fanon either.

Last edited:

Ruran

Awards
I think that has also much to do with the way both Kairi and Naminé were presented and handled throughout the series, while character development still doesn't equal with character screentime, the screentime Naminé had was used way better and more "concrete" than anything Kairi got (except maybe in KH 1 when she restores Sora).
So people can maybe easier "forgive" Naminé not fighting because she has another, not necessarily good, but graspable role in the overall plot. What has Kairi really going for her other than "Princess of Heart" which is more a plot device and being an implied Sora-fangirl?
Even right now, with Naminé's role since Coded being reduced more to "Miss Explanation and Miss Exposition", a role she shares with Yen Sid to a degree, has more substance to it than Kairi has so far, which is really a pity considering her potential.

This as well. I don't know if they put more thought into it after Kairi, but Namine seemed built with more longevity in mind. I guess it can be chalked up to the staff not knowing if they'd see a game past one. For all intents and purposes Kairi's story was all wrapped up at the end of KH1. She was saved, sent back home, her past reviled, etc. By the end of CoM Namine was still an enigma so they could work with her more easily in future instalments. All Kairi had left to keep her attached to the plot was being Sora's friend and they tried to expand that by making her a wielder. But saying that the execution for it was sloppy is an understatement.

The KH 2-manga has an entire chapter devoted to Kairi interacting with Axel after he nabs her in Twilight Town while they travel through a dark corridor, showing off much of Kairi's personality and in the end leading to her becoming sympathetic to Axel and Nobodies and when Saix appears, attacks and wounds Axel she actually tries to help him before Saix has two Berserker Nobodies take her away.
Such little tidbits that flesh her out as a person herself independently are nearly completely absent in the games, as small scenes like her interaction with Roxas or HPO in KH 2 are only scratching the surface and/or are often solely focused on Sora again instead of having her making her own connections and friends.

Indeed, somehow it also serves to show that while Naminé may have learnt a lesson and developed to another point, she cannot act upon it due to outside circumstances and necessities that get in the way.

I overall prefer how Amano handles the characters to the original writers. Kairi for one was an improvement (for better or for worst though, it's partly because she had no character to speak of until KH2). KH over all lacks small, but necessary character moments like that.

I agree, I had this discussion with someone else earlier as well. KH 3 is probably the most "unsafe" point in the story they may have chosen to start her development, as the danger of her either being pushed into the background again too much so it becomes too few again is there as well as the prospect of giving her too much, making the rest of the narrative and characters suffer.
Both would probably result in her getting even more flak in the fandom than she already has, which would be something that should be avoided.
The writers in KH were never so good that they could juggle several subplots effectively, heck, even the pacing of the main plot feels off at times, so the chances of them messing this up is rather high.

The writers just bit off more than they could chew in terms of character quantity. Even handling three-six at a time in individual games was sloppy and now KH3 is going to bring all the protagonists, antagonists, and important side characters together all at one...I'm scared. ;A;

I would guess that there is no real other realistic option than the time chamber, as sending her out on a real excursion before some significant training would be very unwise considering she's one of the seven holding up the stability of the universe. Nomura may have introduced this plot point specifically for that reason. In DDD Yen Sid only talks about the thingy when Lea is away to use it, so maybe in KH III we get to actually see it.

I guess one of the easiest restrictions would be that this "chamber" cannot be maintained for long (since it requires apparently the powers of Merlin and the three fairies together) and such each training session, although longer inside the chamber of course, would still have a set limit.

The potential of the chamber is another thing that scares me. ;~;
I wouldn't be surprised if they used it on Kairi but I don't want them to Deus ex Machina it for plot convenience. Making so that if Kairi uses it, whinin a few days/hours she's badass. *boards "nope" train* Although, I have teased the idea that the consequence of using the chamber do-hicky causes rapid aging.

It was never confirmed where the second Keyblade came from, it's just a popular fan theory that Riku was dual wielding. Seeing as how Riku was just as surprised as everyone else that Yen Sid wanted to speak to Kairi about her wielding potential at the end of 3D I think gives credence to the idea that the Destiny's Embrace Keyblade Kairi borrowed wasn't formally hers. Heck, it doesn't seem like even Riku, or anyone else, legitimately considered Kairi a wielder despite seeing her use a Keyblade.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards
We do have to remember, this game was made in JAPAN... where just bearly are starting to let women do things their own way (Which I mean like not recently, but like 1940s recent). But because of outside influences, they are starting to adapt to the modern ways of girls in the US. Reason why most female characters in video games and anime are like this is because most of the game developers are japanese males, so their thoughts on the japanese women are mostly because of their preferences and also what is popular in anime.

That's my thoughts of course, because that's explains a lot on their behaviors during the story and game. Yes, the characters have english voice acting, but because this game is Japanese, there is still a lot of influence of theirs behind the story and characters. If you look of these games and games that are published here in the US, Canada and UK, you can see a difference between female characters and their story development.

AdrianXXII

Dyslexic rambler
Awards

Well technically it was stated by Namine that Xion is neither Sora nor Roxas, but Kairi as Sora remembers her. So I don't know how much of a Sora clone she is in regards of personality and behavior, seeing according to that statment she's more a Sora/Roxas/Kairi clone than just a Sora/Roxas clone.

I kind of find it a little annoying that while Kairi has that personality she keeps getting sidelined, though it does seem like they were trying to built her up a little ever since KH2, with her getting a keyblade, but that "subplot" hasn't really gone anywere.
I really think it's sad that Kairi's Nobody Namine and Xion, the Replica based on the memories of her, had more development and growth than she has.

Very interesting, as I actually made the same observation about Naminé when I played KH 2, but that does not count solely for her but also for Riku.
They both screwed Sora over, she in CoM, he in KH 1, and both go about to "help" him by screwing over and destroying two other lives.
We can however see that Naminé feels bad about this even before it's done when she talks with Riku in Days:

She's certainly reluctant to go that route, especially since one sentence before she remarks on her astonishment about Roxas and Xion fighting so hard to become their own entities.
Depending on how you read it though, you could however also be mean and say that Naminé proposes that solution only because she's too lazy to sort out the different memory sets and therefore resorts to having Roxas and Xion disappear because otherwise it would just take longer to restore Sora, but it would not be impossible.
Who cares if DiZ "gets furious" or if it takes longer to restore Sora? She certainly didn't care that Marluxia got furious when she refused to erase Sora's memory in CoM completely, and I dare to assume that Marluxia's wrath is surely more dangerous than DiZ's is.
Yet saying that totally disregards that Xemnas and the Org are still out there putting in place their own plans, so in the end it became a race for which team to succeed, leaving Naminé no real choice.

This is why Naminé is my favorite female main character in the series besides Aqua, it's not that she doesn't want to break the cycle, but that she cannot because all circumstances and other players are against her in the important situations so far. It's not like Riku who (partly) willingly caused a mess and chaos like in KH 1, but that she was forced into it the one or the other way anyways.

As you stated Naminé falling back into the cycle had more to do with the given circumstances than personal choice.
Also to your statment of her not caring for Marluxia's wrath but caring about DiZ's could have something to do with in what state Sora would be if she refused. If she did what Marluxia wanted Sora would have been in a worse state, where as if she refused what DiZ wanted Sora could have ended up in a worse state than if she listened, seeing DiZ cared very little for Sora's well being or whether anyone would remember him when he awakens. Though the whole Org. 13 situation was probably another good reason to do as told and hurry.
I think Naminé might have had the best developed character arc of all our lead girls, spanning multiple installments.

That is actually one of the most important points, not only regarding Naminé, but all of the other main characters of the series, including Disney characters like Yen Sid, Mickey, Donald and Goofy. In order to become a full fledged main character on par with them and truly "part of the group" Kairi bitterly needs to interact and have screentime with characters other than Sora.

I agree what they really have to do is break out of the trios and let the characters interact with eachother.
I think in Kairi's chase it's especially important to see her interact more with Riku, who's suppose to be her other best friend, yet we rarely see just the two interact.

Well I think another key reason is that Naminé doesn't have a fighter personallity where as Kairi kind of does.
I think Kairi actually has a lot of potential, she's a Princess of Heart, which we still haven't really learned what that concretly means, she's also a potential keyblade weilder and there's the fact that she has ties to Radiant Garden which has played a key role in the story so far. Also I'd go with implied potential love interest, rather than Sora-fangirl, but just me.

The games are definetly missing does kind of scenes, not only for Kairi but most of the girls.

It's definetly not a good time to do it, but I still rather have her have some development in KH3 than her have no real development at all in the first Saga.

Sadly the time chamber seems like the only realistic option for them to really make her strong enough to be of use. Especially, seeing they're probably not going to have time to focus on her and let her develop any fighting skill.

FudgemintGuardian

Moist with roistering
Awards
It's parts like that, that make me wish Shiro Amano wrote the games. He always treats the characters well and equally.

Oracle Spockanort

written in the stars
Staff member
Awards
Website
twitter.com
We do have to remember, this game was made in JAPAN... where just bearly are starting to let women do things their own way (Which I mean like not recently, but like 1940s recent). But because of outside influences, they are starting to adapt to the modern ways of girls in the US. Reason why most female characters in video games and anime are like this is because most of the game developers are japanese males, so their thoughts on the japanese women are mostly because of their preferences and also what is popular in anime.

That's my thoughts of course, because that's explains a lot on their behaviors during the story and game. Yes, the characters have english voice acting, but because this game is Japanese, there is still a lot of influence of theirs behind the story and characters. If you look of these games and games that are published here in the US, Canada and UK, you can see a difference between female characters and their story development.

I don't feel like getting into Japanese history because there were hundreds of strong and powerful Japanese women prior to 1940s, and women weren't as submissive as you seem to think they were...

But if your statements were true, Square Soft wouldn't have created so many strong female characters prior to KH1 in 2002. I can count a bunch of strong female characters from the company with proper development and roles. Or are we ignoring the women from FFVI, or FFVII, or FFVIII FFIX FFX...even the FF games before...the Mana series...Parasite Eve...And plenty more games I'm not listing.

Western games aren't really much better than games from the east. There is a lot of hypersexualization of women in games, but I can still list just as many strong females as I can from Square games.

The problem isn't culture here. It plays a role, but it isn't the only thing.

Last edited:

Ruran

Awards
Well technically it was stated by Namine that Xion is neither Sora nor Roxas, but Kairi as Sora remembers her. So I don't know how much of a Sora clone she is in regards of personality and behavior, seeing according to that statment she's more a Sora/Roxas/Kairi clone than just a Sora/Roxas clone.

I kind of find it a little annoying that while Kairi has that personality she keeps getting sidelined, though it does seem like they were trying to built her up a little ever since KH2, with her getting a keyblade, but that "subplot" hasn't really gone anywere.
I really think it's sad that Kairi's Nobody Namine and Xion, the Replica based on the memories of her, had more development and growth than she has.

That's a weeeee bit more technical than what I think needs to be considered. Xion is a person who at her base is a rather simple creation: A failed Sora clone that looks like Kairi. In universe Xion became more complicated than anticipated. I'm not talking about how Xion developed in universe though, I was considering the writers PoV writing a female character that was purposely made with a male base.

I don't feel like getting into Japanese history because there were hundreds of strong and powerful Japanese women prior to 1940s, and women weren't as submissive as you seem to think they were...

But if your statements were true, Square Soft wouldn't have created so many strong female characters prior to KH1 in 2002. I can count a bunch of strong female characters from the company with proper development and roles. Or are we ignoring the women from FFVI, or FFVII, or FFVIII FFIX FFX...even the FF games before...the Mana series...Parasite Eve...And plenty more games I'm not listing.

Western games aren't really much better than games from the east. There is a lot of hypersexualization of women in games, but I can still list just as many strong females as I can from Square games.

At times I think that perhaps the issues stem from Disney. Sort of. To an extant. Kairi for instance is a Square original creation but she was made for a Disney game and is one of seven princess, the other six being Disney characters. Personality wise she's more like later Disney princesses that cropped up in the nineties-spunky, adventures, etc,. Role wise though she's more like the earlier Disney princesses down to Sora having to fight Dragon Maleficent before finding Kairi in the final chamber as a homage to Sleeping Beauty and, while she wasn't awoken by a kiss, her awakening partly hinged on how much her knight in shining armor "loved" her.

For better or for worse I think they tried to make Kairi "fit in" with the other princesses by taking bits and pieces here and there. I don't think Disney is the core reason but perhaps a factor.

Moonlight Aqua

~Living in a dream~
Awards

I do agree with that, I'm sure they were a lot of strong women in Japan, but when I meant is that how many of the characters you seen in Square's games are female main and while having a party, didn't need much help? Besides the most recent ones of FFXIII and X-2. I do remember VI, but most of the guys were saving her like first part of the story because she was weaken because of Kefka... but I don't add that into it because Lightning and Yuna were more... independent in their games. I didn't play other Square games... but other JRPGS, I seen that alot.

Some western games show girls a bit more... tougher. If you see Elizabeth, Ellie and Lara, in the most recent games, you will see, while yes, under the protection of a guy (the first two), they can hold their own after a while. They show weakness, but after a while, you can see them as a character and not a escort mission (Ashley from Resident Evil 4). But I won't argue that yeah there are lot of western games that the girl is really weak and you have to save her, but I see a lot of different games and each girl is different But when I play JRPGS, I always see the girls are just support characters and are always protected by the dude... maybe have a girl that is a bit tougher or a hyper one but she's never the lead girl, mostly the gentler weaker girl is... while in Western games, I see some games, the girls are being protected, but they can hold their own and no matter how weak or powerful they are, if they are the role, they are the lead role.

Which brings me the thought of why is it the weaker girl is always the main girl? Why can't the strong girl be the romantic lead? Or the hyper girl?

At times I think that perhaps the issues stem from Disney. Sort of. To an extant. Kairi for instance is a Square original creation but she was made for a Disney game and is one of seven princess, the other six being Disney characters. Personality wise she's more like later Disney princesses that cropped up in the nineties-spunky, adventures, etc,. Role wise though she's more like the earlier Disney princesses down to Sora having to fight Dragon Maleficent before finding Kairi in the final chamber as a homage to Sleeping Beauty and, while she wasn't awoken by a kiss, her awakening partly hinged on how much her knight in shining armor "loved" her.

For better or for worse I think they tried to make Kairi "fit in" with the other princesses by taking bits and pieces here and there. I don't think Disney is the core reason but perhaps a factor.

I thought of that when I was playing it, that she seemed to fit in in the KH1 game because she was like the other princesses, but in KH2, she kinda tried to leave that stereotype, to some success... I just hope that they give her more development and story in KH3, because I would like to see that transition.

Last edited:

Zettaflare

Shibuya
Awards
wow, now that i think about it, kairi's role and traits really is a mish mash of the earlier and recent disney princesses. i guess that was a factor with the overall problem with her character

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back