• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Gambling With Hearts

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Katattack

Thank You Jonathan Larson
Recounting my exploits as an Anarchist. =D
Okay...Um...it's me....TLP's sister. If this really stinks, I won't post anymore and we can pretend it never happened. Okay with you?

Authors Note: I HATE the name Martin. Nothing personal, I just really hate it.

Jack ran his hand through his hair. Laughing, he pulled the munny he had won to the rest of his pile. He had grown accustomed to bringing along his own tray ever since his winnings had exceeded the amount of space on his side of the card table.

"Ace aces it again!" His angry companions say, throwing down their cards.

"Why do we even try?" Someone says.

"Because..." Ace starts, putting his feet on the table. "You know I just spend it on snacks for all of us anyway."

After a bit more small talk, his friends are eventually called home. Jack didn't mind being alone. He started setting up the card table for a game of solitaire. Ace was good at cards. Very good. They hadn't invented a card game that he couldn't dominate. His parents stopped giving him an allowence after a while.

"He earns enough every friday!" His father had shouted. "I lose my salary to that kid!"

Oh well. Such was the life of a pro. He didn't mean to get a big head about it, but lets face it, wouldn't anyone get a swelled head if they were as good at something as he was at cards?

He did make sure that he didn't take too much money from his friends, and always spent it on group stuff. Like snacks. Or Multi-Player games for Jake's Virtu-sphere.

Winning money from adults, however, was different entirely. After he had gotten good, he started joining his father on Fridays. Most of the adults went home disappointed after that. Mostly, though, everyone had fun. The money he got from adults had bought this Club house.

Soon, Ace heard a knock on his club house door. <Probably time for dinner> He thought. He put his cards away and opened the door.

"New Game!!!!" It wasn't his mother. It was Martin. He didn't really like Martin, but he was a good guy. The kid had secretly bought Ace trading cards. Secretly because Virtu-Mon and Griffins and Grottos weren't exactly "main stream".

"What? What kind of game?" Ace asked.

"Look!" Martin held up a card. Jack took it.

It was a normal sized card. It had a red back ground with a heart on it. <Oh please. Not another sappy one> Jack sighed. He turned it to the front. It had a picture of a strange key. A key with a handle. A small 6 was in the corner.

That was just a bit.....I'll add longer chapters if people like it.

Katattack

Thanks a lot guys, I guess I'll post todays chapter now!

Jack looked at the card. Then at Martin. Then at the card.

"What the heck is this supposed to be?"

"It's a new game! A card game!"

"Yes, I can see that. But, what is it? How do you play?" Jack couldn't help but be interested. It WAS a card game, after all.

"I'll show you." Martin said.

He laid out five cards. "These are the cards you start with." Martin started. Ace sat and listened, taking it all in.

The game was pretty simple. There was a special board, it could read the cards. It kept track of health and everything. At first, Ace wondered why the board had to keep track, and not them. But the game had to be played fast, very fast. The more cards you laid down, the better.

You could only put down one at a time, but you could do them at any speed, you didn't have to wait for the other opponent. However, the cards had numbers for two reasons. You wanted a card with a high number. The most you get with these beginner pack was a six. And that was rare. Cards that had higher numbers were couldn't be 'broken' easily (lower cards bounced right off them). A 1 couldn't 'break' a 4. But 0 cards could break anything. However, they could also be broken by anything.

At first, the game seems a little too easily. But after a while, Martin got to talking about "Stocking" cards. Stocking cards led to combos. Combos did a TON of damage to the opponent as long as you kept them up. They could still be broken by the Zero cards though. Some combos only went up to eight in value, though, so they could be broken by a nine.

There were also cards to heal your health. That was obvious. Of course there would be some.

The other reason that the cards had numbers, was so that you knew how many you could have in your deck. You can't just have as many as you want, you had to fit them so that the value didn't go up too high.

"I think I've got it now." Jack said. "Do you have time to go get me some cards?"

"I got you some!" Martin pointed out.

"But, they go up to nine in value, right? I want some of those! And more cures and Zeros too." Ace said.

"You can't get those yet!"

"Why not? I've got munny!"

"You have to win tournaments to get those cards." Martin pointed out.

"Oh. Well. Then we'd better get practicing! We have tournaments to win."

Katattack

My two number one fans. *sniff* Okay, I'll post todays chapter just for you!

Ugh. Martin annoys me very much.

Ace was fumbling around with his deck of cards, trying as fast as he could to keep his chain of attacks up. He watched as a look of pain came across Martin's face as his health count dwindled to zero.

"Dang it!" he said, throwing down his cards. Ace didn't really think it was something to get so upset about. He won all the time. He never lost. His friend should be used to it by now.

"Uhh....we could play again....if you want." Ace offered.

"No. I don't feel like losing anymore." Martin said, slamming his chair into the table and leaving the clubhouse.

Thirteen seconds of stunned silence later, Ace regained enough of his senses to try to sort out why someone would be so mad to lose at a game. He was never that mad when he lost! But then again, he couldn't remember a time when he lost.

He turned his gaze to the table. It was full of Kingdom Hearts TCG Merchandise. A really nice playing board that he had won in a giveaway, a few wrappers from upgrade decks....all nice, but still not good enough. His cards didn't reach past 6, and that was horrible. He needed to practice more....but he couldn't without his partner. He'd have to wait and see if he would be good enough.

The day of the first tournament, Ace was worried. You could only get so far practicing alone. His first opponent was a tall kid with horrible looking brown hair. It was distracting, but just another obsticle to overcome.

The game started. Quickly, Ace kept drawing and slapping down cards. His opponent wasn't great at all. He was more interested in the little animated boy that was attacking his own little animated boy. Three thunders, a blizzard, and seven attacks later, Ace emerged the victor.

Shaking his head, he waited for the next match to start. His new opponent was extremely geeky looking. Black greasy hair, glasses, and, from what Ace could tell, a faded scar drawn on his forehead with a magic marker. Extremely dorky. This was why he couldn't let people know he played these games. He was disgusted.

The signal sounded, and both players started slamming down cards as fast as they could. This kid was better. But not by much. It was basically the same thing again, and Ace was getting bored. A couple more minutes later, the match was done. The boy ran off crying, and after his mother bought him a rubber wand, he was okay again.

The tournament was disappointing. Until he got to his sixth, and final opponent. This guy looked cool. Well, compared to the Harry Potter kid, anyone would. Ace knew this would be tougher.

As soon as the match started, Ace was off like a rocket. Stocked card, two stocked card, sonic blade combo here I come! Halfway through the combo, the kid pulled out a zero card. Darn it! Ace attacks. Again. Again. The kid does a combo. Ace stocks three cards quickly and breaks it. After what seems like a very long time, the match is over. Ace keeps putting cards down three seconds after the end. He looked at the score board.

He had done a lot better than he thought, and still had almost half of his health left. He looked at the other kid and recognized him for the first time. It was one of the kids in his English Class. He gave him a I-won't-say-anything-if-you-don't Look and the boy nodded.

But he could have told the kid to tell everyone he knew, because a T.V. News Reporter suddenly stepped up to him.

"This is Karen Love reporting at the scene of the first tournament of the new craze, Kingdom Hearts TCG!" The reporter flashed a very forced smile. "Here we are requesting an interview with the young victor....." She squinted at the congratulations banner behind her. "Jack Clubs. Jack, how do you feel?" She shoved the microphone under his face.

"Um....happy...I guess." He said, trying to avoid staring at the camera.

"Did you practice hard for this moment?" She said, again shoving the mike toward him almost menacingly.

"Not really.....I didn't have anyone else to practice with." Ace remembered his cry-baby "friend".

"So, how long have you been into this game?" Ace opened his mouth to answer, but she obviously hadn't intended to let him answer. "From the beginning, this young man has pursued his dream, to become the Kingdom Hearts TCG Champion!" She took a deep breath, for suspense I guess.

"Jack. You're very close to getting to reach your goal. I can feel it. And now, everyone knows you as a champion of this game! Even at your school! Aren't you happy?" She asked.

For the second time in this fanfic, Ace found himself in stunned silence.

Katattack

I guess I'll post another one. But it's kinda short.

Ace could never have been happier. He had won a lot of small tournaments since his last one. He had gotten a lot of cards, two decks, and knew his decks better than he knew the back of his hand. He was also the fastest out there too.

But as his career had gotten better, his friendship with Martin had gotten worse. Ace was in denial. He knew it, everyone knew it. Who needs Martin? He wasn't even any good. He cried when he lost, and no one needs that.

But it was still a nice life. His friends, he had found out, had not cared much at all that he liked this card game, and helped them as much as they could. His best friend, Gary, even took up Kingdom Hearts.

"So...um....that one is a cure, right?" Gary asked, showing Jack his newest cards.

"Umm....no. That's a Blizzard." Jack pointed out.

He couldn't help feel responsible for some of the popularity of the game. Just like Harry Potter Boy brought down the coolness, average kids liking the game actually brought up the level of coolness.

Apparently, the makers felt this too, as one of them was nice enough to give him a subscription to a TCG magazine. Paging through it one day, Ace saw the ad.

Fun for the whole family! The newest tournament for Kingdom Hearts TCG! Anyone can enter*! And entering means a chance at five hundred dollars and a new Mystery Card only available to the winner!

In really tiny letters, they had written:
*Must have won two KHTCG tournaments in the past to enter.

The tournament was next week. Jack left to go enter.

Thelonepickle

I don't like bugs!
MAN, Kat, you are SO lucky I'm posting your chap for you. Gosh darn it, I didn't want to, even if I only had to copy and paste it here. Jeez. Okay, kids, here's the next chapter.

It was already the day of the tournament, and perhaps Jack should have been a little less confident. He couldn't help but feel a little skeptical of the looks of the competion.

There would only be three opponents. Jack was disappointed with the performances of his first two opponents. They hadn't lasted long. Jack was too fast, had too many cures, and too many level 9 cards. He couldn't help but feel a little bored until his third opponent stepped up. The first thing Jack felt was surprise.

A boy in a cloak came up. Ace was very annoyed. This was worse than the Harry Potter boy. He sighed and rolled his eyes. The boy was asked to remove his hood. Scowling, he pulled it off. Jack felt surprise again.

"Martin?!" He asked. The boy nodded. He had changed over the summer. At least, he wasn't as shrimpy as he used to be. He was just a little taller. He had obviously tried to do something fancy with his hair, overused the gel, and tried to fix it. Typical Martin.

"Are you ready to start?" The announcer asked.
"Yeah." Ace said, sitting up and leaning over his deck.
"Just hurry up." Martin said, very impolitely. (I'm trying to make you dislike him. Please do. I HATE YOU, MARTIN!!!!!! Ahem....)

The battle was on, and Jack went on lightning fast. He pulled out nine after nine and kept on pulling them up. Martin had gotten better, but obviously didn't know his deck very well. He lost track eventually, and had to look down at his deck. Jack felt bad for him. In this game, taht was very n00bish. He kept counting in his mind. Eventually, his deck had to reload.

During that small break, Martin seemed to regain his senses. He started stocking cards now, and was trying to over power Ace. He liked it when they did this. When they did this, he got to be a nuiscance. Every time Martin tried something funny, a zero card was waiting. And while Martin started fuming, Ace was dealing one chain of combos after another.

The match was over a long time later, and Ace was surprised it took so long. It was just Martin! It shouldn't have taken so long. He needed to work on his technique, or something.

Martin scowled as he got up, turned toward Ace and slammed the chair into the table, sending Ace's cards all over the place. Ace glared as he snatched them up. He stood, and instantly wished he was back down under the table.

Coming toward him, microphone in hand, mouth already running, was none other then.........Karen Love.

"Hi Ms. Love." He said politely.

"It's Mrs. Harmony now, Jason." She said, showing him a rock the size of an asteroid. "Time for another interview, Joey, you know the drill." Jack wondered how she could remember his name as soon as the camera was on her.

"This....Is Karen Harmony reporting live on the scene of yet another tournament of the popular TCG, Kingdom Hearts! Here we are with the young winner of the competion, Jack Clubs! Jack, how does it feel to win yet another tournament?!" Karen thrust the Microphone under his jaw.

"Ummm....the same as last time, I guess...." Ace stammered. (He's bad on camera).

"So it's being said that you have been asked not to compete in the next tournament! Is that true?" Karen asked, her microphone come dangerously close to Ace's Teeth.

"I.....well....I guess it would be nice for some other kids to win....I guess." This news had sort of spoiled his mood. The rest of the interview was a blur.

As he was walking home, he was surprised to see the Announcer from the tournament.

"Mr. Clubs!" The man gasped, as he caught up to Jack.

"Hi! What is it?" Ace asked the pudgy little man.

"You forgot....your.....prize....." The man said, panting. He handed Jack the check and a small box used to carry special prize cards.

"Thanks!" Ace said, and he waved to the man, who seemed annoyed at having to give away the money.

Jack opened the tiny carton and looked inside.

On the card was.........A door.

"Is that it?!" Ace exclaimed. "A door? No level, no effect, nothing!" He looked up, disappointed. And in front of him, he saw, on his clubhouse, the same door. Racing over to it, he stretched out a hand.

"Don't." A voice said over his shoulder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back