• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► Heroes: Legends

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophet

come and go
Website
www.facebook.com

Faith… the belief in what cannot be proved… Is it foolish to put ones belief into the unknown? Or is it simply a pathway of enlightenment thought by the simple to be illogical? Is there a God? A creator, a manifestation of goodness? Where did we come from? A simple explosion of cosmic gas? Or is it something deeper? These are the questions that have been asked for eons… and some of them have yet to be answered…

Heroes: Legends
EPISODE I: AWAKENING

Autumn Morad, New York City, 2008

A sudden screeching of rubber on asphalt sent a crescendo of honks blaring through the afternoon air. The sound filled the hot winds of New York, just as the afternoon sun peaked its way through a small glass window. Autumn Morad’s eyes opened slowly, parallel to the rays of the sun beaming down onto her body. Her soft brown eyes blinked slightly, the chocolate spheres turning in her head in the direction of the loud noise. Her mouth opened slightly in a yawn, and as the concrete jungle choir died down, she slowly sat up in bed.

Was it all a dream?

Her feet hung over the bed, her long slender legs hanging immobile over the edge of her blanket. She sighed slightly, brushing a long strand of brown hair out of her face as her eyes drifted over the small back room. The grey walls were unassuming, and the warm sunlight gave a healthy glow to the otherwise mundane living space. The sunbeams lit up the small bed, which stood against the corner of the room, along with other small furniture like mother dog with her cubs. A small dresser stood on one side of the room, next to which was a small desk, with a large mirror propped up against it. Autumn’s eyes followed the mirrors curve downward, to where it met a small alarm clock. The crimson digits read 2:30 pm… it was later than she thought…

“Must’ve overslept,” she muttered aloud to herself, pulling herself out of bed with a grunt, and standing up in the small back room. She glanced down at the red short-shorts and white tank-top that graced her petit body, and ran her fingers over the comfortable fabric with a sigh. Everything seems so normal… she thought to herself, turning to glance in the mirror, watching her small reflection looking back. Did it really happen? Any of it? She looked at her reflection, from her beautifully long strands of brown hair to her less then developed exterior. 16, and still a bit flat, she thought to herself, eyeing her reflection in the mirror, It all seems normal… She tore her eyes from the mirror, and walked slowly over to the dresser. Her hands felt like lead as she pulled open the brown drawers, and routinely pulled out a set of clothes. Her body was performing the action, but her mind was wandering…

Was it real? Did I really…

When she turned back to the mirror, she had pulled on a pair of torn jeans, clinging to her legs tightly as she pulled on a simple tie-dyed t-shirt. She stared into the mirror, her eyes glazing over slightly as she looked at the sixteen year old staring back at her. Everything seemed so normal. Was it possible that everything that had happened was all nothing? Her eyes caught the reflection of her bedroom door, an ordinary wooden door. She turned around slowly, staring at the door, a torrent of thoughts running through her mind. What if it did work? What if it didn’t?

However these thoughts were interrupted by a sudden yell that permeated the small room.

“Autumn! Are you still sleeping? Come on, it’s past noon, wake up!”

“Coming Auntie Grace!” she called back, turning around and walking over the door, which opened with a sigh before walking out of the small back room. She’d figure this out later; she’d better talk to Auntie Grace first… She left the room in a hurry, not bothering to close the door as she hurried out into the secluded hallway, winding her way through the grey walls to where the voice had come from. However, as she turned the corner away from her room, the ordinary wooden door swung shut with a soft click…

Stroma Vermilion. Hollywood, Nevada. 2008​

“I need the Palin article on my desk!”

“Where’s Barbara? There’s a return call from Primatech Paper!”

“Somebody call the janitor, the water cooler is leaking again!”​

It was chaos. A crowded office building filled with a maze of identical cubicles and offices, all of which were swamped with endless groups of running people. People shouted and ran left and right, papers jumping from hand to hand like lice in elementary school. Yells leapt back and forth from desk to desk, and in the madness of the afternoon paper rush, a single voice rung out amongst the others. In an office shoved right in the corner, smothered in between two other ringing cubicles, a man stood his face livid as held one of the many cordless phones linked to the offices to his ear… The red tinge creeping up slightly pale skin made incredibly clear what sort of mood he was in.

“Listen man, I need this story, can’t you pull a few strings? Oh, I’m sorry? Apologies ain’t worth crap to me; I need to get in touch with the Indian! Does it sound like I care about political correctness? Ugh, can you get me the Navajo or not? Fine!”

He slammed the phone into its electronic cradle with the ferocity of an angry mother. The man known as Stroma Vermilion groaned, running a single hand through his sleek head of onyx black hair, each slick strand rubbing up against his pale fingers. He rubbed his left eye with his other hand, his right eye still open, revealing a single blue eye within its socket. The eye, despite its bright sky blue hues, was red with tiredness, and every breath that Stroma drew revealed only stress, after stress, after stress lining that eyeball. He put both his hands on his desk, his head bowing as a torrent of thoughts raced through his mind. Damn, I need a new job… he thought over and over again, his breaths coming heavily as his complexion slowly began to pale once more, Any more of this crap, and I’ll hit the classifieds again...

“Any luck?”

A single friendly voice amidst the torrent of madness surrounding him came through, and Stroma, looked up, his face splitting into a grin, masking his anxiety as he shook hands with the individual walking through the door.

“Ugh, none Sean, none,” he replied, rubbing his eye once more before looking back at the man with a tired grin, “These politicians get jumpy when you mess around with the Indian reservations. And especially after what happened last night, they don’t want anybody snooping around.”

“Makes sense I guess,” said Sean, shrugging his broad shoulders as he stared for a second into Stroma’s eyes, “I’ve pulled all the strings I can for you on this one Stroma; you’re on your own now.”

“I know, damnit, “ Stroma muttered, turning to face the window, his palms pressing against the class as he stared at his reflection in the glass… Two different colored eyes stared back at him, one the bright blue of the sky, the other a brilliant hazel… Natural Heterochromia… kinda freaked some people out occasionally… Sure made get interviews easier.

However, his train of thoughts was interrupted by a sudden familiar ringing. Stroma groaned, his eyes rolling at Sean who nodded, his mouth shutting as Stroma reached for that damned phone with a single pale hand.

“Modern Media, Stroma Vermillion speaking,” he said, putting the phone to his ear as Sean waved to him, mouthing a few words to him, before sliding a small manila folder onto the desk. Stroma gave him a thumbs up and a nod before turning his attention back to his call, using every ounce of composure he had to stop from shouting into the mouthpiece.

“Hey, Stroma.”

“Who is this?” snapped Stroma, his eyes shutting as he struggled to maintain his composure, “I’m very busy right now, can you take it up with someone else?”

“Jeez, you don’t even recognize your own sister’s voice? Thanks a lot!”

Stroma’s entire face relaxed instantly as the woman’s voice spread familiarly across his ear.

“Sorry Kate, I’m dealing with a lot of crap right now,” he said, rubbing his temples with one hand as he held the phone with the other, “What’s up?”

“Time to take a break bro, we need some catching up to do,” Kate’s voice said over the phone, her tone exasperated and somewhat humored, “Meet me in an hour for coffee over at Karen’s.”

“Sure thing Kate,” Stroma said, his tiredness and irritation evident in his voice, despite the obvious relaxation of his face, “Meet you there.”

“Don’t be late,” she said playfully, the line clicking dead with a subtle snap, and Stroma lowered the phone slowly, his eyes scrunching together as he let his thoughts rage for a moment. He breathed deeply, trying not to think about the four very close walls surrounding him as his head pulsated, throbbing in mental congestion… It was like a gong beating against his skull, and he gripped the desk tightly with his fists as he shut his eyes even tighter… All the frustration built up to a single infinitesimal point, and finally, Stroma slowly let it whisper way, his mind releasing, and his breath coming again as he slowly releasing his grip on the desk, his eyes opening wide as he felt a trickle of wetness rubbing against his fingers.

“What the…” he muttered, his head turning upward as water droplets fell from the ceiling splattering against his fingers with an endless choir of plip plop, plip plop. “Damn leaking water cooler,” he muttered against to himself, glancing annoyingly at the ceiling, which slowly appeared to be getting wetter by the second. He wiped his hands quickly, grabbing his coat from off his door, stepping outside his office only for a figure to run smack into him, a stack of papers in the boy’s hands soaring into the air. “Watch where you’re going boy,” snapped Stroma angrily, picking the assistant off the ground by roughly and setting him on his feet, “And get someone to fix that water cooler upstairs, my office better not be soaked by the time I get back!” He left in a hurry, not bothering to help the teen pick up his papers. The assistant looked up startled, opening his mouth, too startled to answer, but merely saying awkwardly after Stroma,

“But the leaking cooler is three floors down…”

Admus Afilius, New York City, 2008​

The sun beat down on the ground, its burning rays beating down on the pavement like the soles of a thousand commuters everyday. The heat outside meant that pedestrian traffic was at a minimum, so nobody really noticed, when a lone figure lit up in the shadow of a tall skyscraper. The burning embers of a fresh cigarette was the only light that illuminated this shadowy figure’s face, and even as he brought the smoking death-stick to his mouth, the face of Admus Afilius was anything but mysterious. He held a blank look on his face, his entire body racked with an essence of frank tranquility. Being apathetically homeless did that to a guy… Take a deep puff inward, Admus blew a ring of smoke out of his mouth, his ratty black hair falling down to his chin as the smoke blew around his tattered black clothes. Anybody on the street would have dismissed him as a punk, as a homeless nobody. But Admus didn’t give a damn. He didn’t care about any of those stupid people’s opinions. A casual passerby with a dirty look might receive a flip of the bird, or no reaction at all. People get only what the deserve buddy… But most of the time, Admus just remained quiet… Only living to prowl these streets he claimed as his own personal pathways and smoke an occasionally cig when the time came for it… But somebody was threatening this peaceful ritual that Admus called life… Someone damn annoying…

“There’s another one,” Admus muttered to himself, barely a hoarse whisper between small puffs of smoke. He pulled another long breath, letting the cigarette pull away from his mouth as he let a puff of smoke slowly emit from his nostrils. He slowly began to walk out into the empty street, glancing here and there at a few cars which passed a few blocks over, being careful to remain in the shadow of the skyscraper as he walked over to a gray wall that stood alone encircling the side of a parking garage. This was another edge of the quarter he considered his territory… But that punk was at it again…

As he neared the plain grey wall that marked the edge of his territory, he stared at the mosaic of colors that were splattered against the wall. The dull, dark colors were sprayed onto the wall using traditional spraypaint, and the graffiti style of the vandalism was hardly out of the ordinary in New York’s more gang-filled areas… But this was the third one Admus had seen in his quarter… Same colors, same style, same kind of paint… And Admus was beginning to get pissed…

“Who the hell are you?” he whispered in annoyance, raising his hand to feel the concrete wall, his hand passing over a large graffiti-style letter ‘A.’ He let his hands fall across the letters on the wall, each character about one meter tall, with dark hued colorings…The shadow from his hand fell across one single part, and he let his hand fall to his side as he stared at the work staining his ‘property.’ “I’ll catch you,” he thought to himself, breathing another column of smoke from his mouth as he slowly turned around, beginning to walk back towards the alleyway, always keeping sure to stay in the shadows as he crossed the wide, sunlit street.

However, he paused, blinking for a second as he stood in the very center of the sunlit, empty street. A few screeching cars sounded a few blocks down, but Admus took no notice of them. He looked forward, his eyes following the path of the shadow until it stopped a meter away. He frowned, glancing behind him, only to see that the shadow extended behind him exactly one meter as well. Turning a full circle, he slowly breathed a column of smoke inwards, looking at the shadowy circle he stood in for a moment before glancing up into the sky… There was no object casting the shadow onto him…

“Hmm,” he shrugged dismissively, dropping his cigarette with a flick and stamping it out with his foot, walking forward as the circular shadow he stood in followed him, keeping the sun off of his body until he reached the comfort of his dark alleyway, disappearing into the darkness without a single glance at the graffiti painted behind him… And as he disappeared, the sun beat down even harder onto the dull colors of the fading graffiti. Blood-red letters gleamed in the sunlight, and the darkened image of bent figure, on its knees with its head hung down, and two magnificent wings extended as if about to push off in flight. The paint gleamed, and it the letters almost seemed to glow in the sun…

“WHO CAN CATCH A FALLING ANGEL?”​

TO BE CONTINUED...​

tdc456

Wow man, great job.
Makes me think in terms of the show while I'm reading.
The shooting style they use and everything.
Amazing work.
About the same time I started my new story, too.
Check it out. Link is in my sig.
Keep up the good work.

Xeon{Myroku}

Demonic Pony
Nice work. It feels like I'm seeing every image from every word, every sentence, every paragraph I read in this. But can't wait to see what you might have planned out for the next one. And I hope my character will be apart of it.

Prophet

come and go
Website
www.facebook.com
Episode II
Birds of a Feather​

Alleta Smith, Boston, MA, 2008

“Dios, gracias por este día…”

The Spanish reverend spoke in powerful, reverent tones, but even as his powerful prayers reached everyone in the church, Alleta Smith felt lost…

“Rogamos para la dirección en esta época de la lucha…”

She had come to this predominantly Hispanic church in hopes of reconnecting with her heritage in her worship of the Almighty… but so far, with her rudimentary grasp of Spanish, all she was getting was confusion. Come on God, help me understand this, she prayed, but the as the reverend continued, she only felt more lost…

“Y dénos la fuerza para utilizar estos regalos que usted nos da…”

A few people seated in the pews behind her murmured a few hushed ‘amens’ and all Alleta could do was whisper in tandem with them. She caught a few words here and there… God… thanks… wings… but otherwise, the reverend could have been reciting Soulja Boy for all she knew. So she simply sat there, her head bowed in reverence as she let the Spanish words wash over her like she was being baptized again for the first time. She had found this place after the fiasco last night… But unfortunately, her reconnection wasn’t going as well as she had planned.

“Represente por favor la communion…”

At least I recognize that, she thought to herself, somewhat annoyed, as she stood up, bending her head solemnly as she slowly made her way to the communion line. People trailed through the Catholic Church like ants to a picnic, everyone’s heads bowed in reverence as they made their way to the altar. She took the bread wafer quietly as she dipped it into the wine, letting the juices flow around her mouth as she slowly slid it into her mouth. The taste was somewhat vulgar, but she closed her eyes, savoring every bite as she pictures what Christ must have felt when they held the sponge of vinegar to his mouth. The pain… the torture… all for these people who hated and scorned his very being… That made her troubles seem all the more insignificant.

The organ began to play as she sat back down in the pew, and she hummed along to the Battle Hymn of the Republic as the final musical piece was played to signal the end of Mass. People slowly began to shuffle out of the sanctuary, and as the heavenly music was continually pumped out of the organ pipe’s, she kept her head bent, her head rushing with a torrent of thoughts as she slowly tried to work them out with prayer.

God… what is going on with me? After last night, I don’t know who I am anymore… I came here in hopes of reestablishing my connections… Both with you and with my Hispanic heritage. But so far it’s just been a mess of things. Please… give me guidance… wisdom… insight… help me understand what’s going on…

She looked up, her mind somewhat at peace as she let her prayers drift up to the almighty. Let your burdens unto the Lord is what the Bible said… and as she let those thoughts and prayers out from her mind, she couldn’t help but feel a little better… Her eyes, now focused and open, looked around, registering the empty sanctuary. Even the reverend had left, and now the only sound was the slight crackling of a burning candle up front. She sighed, slowly standing up, and walking to the back, glancing once at the stained glass image of Jesus, crucified above the altar, before taking her coat off its hook in the hallway, slowly slinging it over her plain t-shirt… However, as the dark coat slid over her slightly honey-tinged skin, two long, narrow slits in the back of her shirt came into view… Parallel rips, at the base of her shoulder blades, identical in size and in length, were covered as Alleta quickly covered the rips with her coat. She glanced around nervously, reaching her right hand around to slowly rub at whatever skin was beneath those two slits, before she walked quickly out of the church…

Anthony Cay, Sydney, Australia, 2008

People were so damn tense.

“Good day, mate, what's with the gun?" said Anthony, cheerily, his hands raised as the man’s metal barrel pointed directly at his face. On his face, he wore a light-hearted smile, although on the inside, his mind was a twister of rushed thoughts.

Knew I shouldn’t have taken the train today… Some way to celebrate graduation…please don’t let my sister stand up…

The man, his face obscured by a cheap black ski mask, stood there, his hand outstretched, his eyes consumed with greed as he shouted again.

“You heard me, you ankle biter, hand over your moolah, or I’ll blow your bloody head off,” he snarled, his brown eyes glittering as he used his free hand to open the sack he had thrown on the ground. Already Anthony could see the necklaces, the earrings, and the piles of crumpled bills already lining the bottom of the bag like a gluttonous child on a successful Halloween night. His eyes flashed from the sack, to the man’s eyes, which were the only things peaking out from under his jet black ski mask, and then for a second at his younger sister, curled up in a ball as she snored on the train… Good… she was still sleeping… the shouting hadn’t managed to wake her yet… As long as he kept this under control so as not to wake…

“I said, hand it over!” the man said even more forcefully, waving his pistol wildly and Anthony quickly answered, his left hand still raised in the air, as he reached around for his wallet.

“Easy mate, I’m getting it,” he said, his eyes fixed on the man as he slowly reached around to grab his wallet, seizing it softly by the tip, before waving the brown leather wallet before the man’s eyes, “You really might want to pick a new job there, no one likes a nasty old train robber. The divvy van will grab you as soon as you get off.”

“I doubt it,” he said harshly, snatching the wallet out of Anthony’s hand and throwing into his sack before he heaved it over his shoulder, the gun no traveling from passenger to frightened passenger. The entire train had been robbed now, and they watched with fearful eyes as the defiant Anthony stared down the robber. The man was a good four inches shorter than Anthony, and that fact did not escape the would-be intimidating train robber. “Watch your attitude, whacka, or I’ll knock off your little girl there,” he spat out, his gun waving to Anthony’s left, and Anthony frowned, instantly shifting himself so that he stood in front of the small spot to his left, only to feel a slight tug on the hem of his dark green sweatshirt. And that tug sent a frozen icy wave of fear through his heart.

“W-what’s going on, big brother?” she yawned quietly, standing up from the train seat, “Why’s it so quiet?”

“Shut it kid,” the man spat, his voice rising as he pointed the barrel towards her, “Sit down like a good girl, and I won’t blow your head off.”

She began whimpering slightly, her eyes tearing up as her lower lip quivered, and suddenly, the man froze, as Anthony’s hand suddenly gripped the barrel of the gun, there faces suddenly instantly inches away from each other, as Anthony’s eyes burned into those of the shimmering greedy orbs of the mugger.

“Wrong move bloke,” he whispered quietly, his face turned in to his words from the rest of the traincar, and the man’s eyes widened, his finger quickly yanking the trigger without another thought.

The boom rocked through the traincar, and people let out screams as the mugger fell to the ground, his own screams adding to the mix as he gripped his hand, spurts of blood spilling forth from his hand. Anthony dropped the gun with a gasp, bits of metal still bent out from the back of the gun, like the bullet had shot out the wrong end. The entire traincar descended into chaos as people scrambled to get away from the blood, scrambled to retrieve their valuables, and Anthony quickly seized his sister’s hand, as he leapt through the traincar door as it slowed to a stop, quickly guiding his sister through the growing crowds as the words quickly began to fly.

“His finger’s blown clean off!”

“The gun misfired, look!”

“Where’d that boy and the girl go? Did you get their names?”

“His shirt said his name… Aero… Smith?”

“That’s a rock band, dipstick.”

Michael Weirs, Detroit, Michigan, 2008​

A studio. A college dorm room. A personal office. All of the above. These are the qualities that Mike might use to describe the messy hellhole of a room he had now. He sat, hunched over in a corner, his head bent as a signal lightbulb shone down on the desk where he was sitting. In fact, this clean, crisp desk was the only clean thing in the room. All that sat upon its surface, was a clean sheet of white paper, stretching across the wood like a sea of whiteness across the earthy ground. Mike rubbed his eyes, yawning as he glanced once at his clock… Damn, it was late… The shadows under his eyes were intensifying, like a mask of a thief over his face, and he groaned, taking his sharpened pencil in his hand, running the graphite along the paper as he sketched out another cartoon. He had to get these done by morning… The newspaper was asking for his entries again…

He glanced over once at his roommate, who lay snoring in his bed, slumped over, ignorant to the glowing light focusing on Mike’s drawings. He rolled his eyes slightly, glancing back at his paper, the colors and greys swimming together as his tiredness only intensified… Ugh, he needed to go to bed… He’d finish these drawings tomorrow… He groaned, standing up, and tossing his pencil down as he stretched his back. Running his hand through his spikey brown hair, he shut his eyes, glancing outside at the dreary rainy darkness clouding the college campus. It was late, nobody was out… Even the dog owned by one of the café owners was quiet…

Oooooooooh

Ugh…

The dog woke up, disturbed by some unknown force. Its growling and howling shot through the college campus like gunfire, and Mike’s roommate groaned and turned over in his bed, as he covered his ears half-asleep. Mike moaned also, walking quickly over to the window, sliding it open slightly as he poked his head out, raindrops dripping down onto his head as he glanced down. Sure enough, the dog was racing up and down the fenced yard, barking away into the night at some unknown disturbance.

“Betty,” he hissed downward, rubbing his eyes in tiredness, “Quiet! Quiet chasing rabbits down there.” The dog continued to howl, and Mike could see a few lights flickering on in surrounding apartments… Aww crap, people were going to get pissed again, like they always did… “Betty,” he whispered again this time, his eyes focusing down on the barking dog, “Quiet…”

A sudden gruffness came over his mind, and he froze suddenly, overwhelmed by a sudden sense of tandem with the barking dog… He suddenly felt light, rough, exciting, and somewhat worried… But the fleeting feeling suddenly left and he gasped, staring downwards, only to see Betty the dog staring up at him, tail wagging between her legs as she shut her mouth, letting silence once again retake the campus… “Hmm…” muttered Mike, closing his eyes as he yawned, leaning back in, and shutting the window quietly before he reached over to shut off his light, glancing once again at the alarm clock… It was 1 am… he’d wake up in five hours to finish these drawings… The sacrifices one makes for art, he smiled sleepily, before he crawled into his own bed, on the other side of the room…

TO BE CONTINUED

Last edited:

tdc456

Great job dude!!
"That's a rock band, dipstick."
Fuckin hilarious.
Love what you did with it.
Your episodes are amazing.
Keep up the great work.

Prophet

come and go
Website
www.facebook.com
Again, apology by me.

I got most of it done, but work, homework, again, has caught up with me. Any freetime I get, I general like to spend with friends doing things. Unfortunately, this doesn't get high priority. Fortunately, since their is still interest in this, I am inspired to keep going.

Percent done: 66 %

Xeon{Myroku}

Demonic Pony
Well I was wondering why you've haven't posted up yet but now I know why. But hey I understand, everyone else has other things that are more important in their daily lifes. But hey like I said it's cool dude. Whenever you get the next chapter done just send me a message or something. I was afraid that I have to wait for this thing until the same date as the next part of Heroes.

Prophet

come and go
Website
www.facebook.com
OOC: HERE WE GO

Episode III
Push and Pulls

Jessica Seaton, Buckinghamshire, England, 2008

The sun was setting in the English sky, and as the golden light slowly sank down beneath horizon, Jessica Seaton sat on the porch, balanced lightly on a stool as she watched the softly brilliant rays slowly making their way beneath the darkness of the town. Jessica brushed a single strand of blond hair out of her face, as the wind kissed her pleasantly skinny face. The light reflected in her bright blue eyes, golden lights dancing among an ocean of blueness, and she blinked once as the light finally vanished, leaving the small English town in a barely lit darkness. Lights around the rural town, which were far a few between, slowly flickered away as people prepared for sleep, and Jessica sighed as she reached over, her pale white hand slowly putting away the paintbrushes littering her newspaper covered floor. A white canvas stood out in the decreasing light like the full moon in the night sky, its white surface covered with a few cascading brush strokes, light yellows, golden browns, and dark navy blues. Jessica stared at the masterpiece she had been hoping to create, frowning as she placed a single paint covered finger against her pale cheek, thinking hard as she stared at her painting. She had been trying to capture the sunset… and she wasn’t pleased with it.

“Hmmm,” she muttered to herself, gathering her paintbrushes and putting them into the case, her finger leaving a blue stripe mark on her face, as she stared thoughtfully into the canvas, trying to figure out what was bothering her. She was never satisfied with her work… Always, despite what her family said, there was always something simply wrong with it… The colors were to vibrant, the strokes too sharp, anything. She had yet to have a successful piece… The art class at the high school was too simplistic. Nothing adhered to the level of attention she wanted…
“Jessica,” a voice from inside entered the night, a soft English-accented voice which permeated the softness of the night like her brushes across the canvas, “It’s late dear, you have school tomorrow. Come inside.”

“Yes mother,” she replied dutifully, staring once more at the canvas, wiping her hands on a small rag as the wind lightly blew around her dress- despite her mother’s warnings, she almost never wore a smock. She wasn’t a messy painter, and there was no way she wearing something as gross as a dirty smock. She stared again at the painting, that nagging feeling burning through her mind as she tried desperately to find the thing she had a problem with… Was it the sky? The rays of light? The silhouette of a faraway building? As she stared, a single white orb glistened in the corner of her vision. The moon! Of course! She had missed the faint outline of the moon drifting lazily in the dark blue sky. She quickly sat back down, opening the case quickly, and drawing out a few worn paintbrushes, quickly dipping them into a pearlescent white mix before staring at the canvas again, carefully planning how she would place the luminescent orb in her painting…

“Jessica, no staying up late this time,” called her mother from inside the home, a few lights turning out as she prepared for bed, “Come on inside, now!”

“Just a second mother,” called Jessica, frantically staring for some sort of artistic inspiration, “I have to finish these pieces if I am going to be applying for art school soon.”

“You’re not going to art school if you can’t wake up for school, now darling, go to bed!” Jessica shook her said, focusing on the painting as a strange gleam of light seemed to reflect off of her blue eyes. She needed some time- inspiration doesn’t just come everyday!

“Mother, go to bed.” She said quietly, her voice suddenly layered with a strange ethereal quality that seemed to make the stars in the sky shiver with its power, “You need sleep, and I’ll be coming up in a bit.” She held her breath in the silence, her body tensing as she expected the blow to her head that might come from her mother. She hadn’t meant to say that! Her mother would certainly box her a bit around the ears for it. But it didn’t come.

“Yes dearie, I will. Be up soon, you really need some sleep,” her mother’s sleepy voice drifted down to her, and slowly, footsteps echoed up the stairs to her mother’s bedroom. Jessica froze; her hand in mid-stroke as she applied white to the canvas. She had done it again… Like last night…

Notorious Black, Duluth, Minnesota, 2008

Across the oceans, another paint stroke was being made. However, this paint stroke did not quiver with the shiver of the night air, nor did it shake with the inexperience of an English highschooler. No, this paintbrush moved with the purpose and sureness of someone who had painted hundreds of these brush strokes, and someone who with power and purpose behind every swipe of color. And as a final stroke of red paint slid over the white canvas, the painter sighed, placing the paintbrush carefully in a specially designed container, which when closed, instantly soaked, soaped, and cleaned the brushes with a high power stream of jet steam and cleaning liquid. The benefits of the wealthy.

The painter turned around, untying his smock and tossing it to the side, where a maid would pick it up later to clean thoroughly. He smoothed a few creases beneath his white undershirt, carefully checking it for stains, before he glanced down at his watch, the Rolex ticking slowly away as the time slowly passed, ever surely, across it’s diamond studded face. 3:30- it was time to leave. His appointment would be starting soon.

“Penny,” he called out the mansion, his powerful voice reverberating around the room. His echo mocked him slightly, shaking the tinkling china before it softened to a small murmur, “I’m leaving now, have dinner ready by 8 please.”

“Yes, Master Black,” a calm, slightly accented voice rang back through the halls almost immediately, “Will you be needing the Porsche today?”

“No, I feel like a bit of exercise could do me some good,” he called, his eyes sparkling as he stared at his swimmers built- body in large, golden trimmed mirror, “forward all calls to my Blackberry.”

“Yes Master Black,” she replied, with a customarily annoyed tone, one that might’ve gotten her fired from any other rich teenager, “The usual for tonight?”

“Of course,” replied Notorious Black, continuing to stare in the mirror as he slid on a simple, two button suit, sliding it easily over his broad shoulders, “I expect nothing less.”

“Of course not sir,” she called from somewhere in the mansion, her voice signaling her obvious displeasure. Notorious grinned slightly at the tone, checking his watch one more time before referring to the mirror one more time to check his image. Sharp, not too fancy, yet obviously someone with purpose and power. Excellent. He blinked his eyes once, glancing back at the painting he had just completed, the brilliant colors staring back at him from the ordinary white canvas, before glancing back at his watch again. Time to go.

He walked forward, his dress shoes clicking lightly against the marble floors, and he made his way to the massive front door, twisting the golden knob easily before opening it with ease. Easily walking through, he took a deep breath of the fresh afternoon air, the golden sun pouring down onto his semi-pale skin. He blinked his bright blue eyes once, taking in the sight as he closed the door to his mansion with a snap. But as the door closed, the lock clicking in place behind him, a gust of wind seemed to spring up, and the front porch was left empty. A slight hint of vapor swam through the air, and the two stone lion statues guarding the entrance to his house looked on in wonder as their master vanished from plain sight.

Jack Randle Jr, St. Louis, Missouri, 2008

Roaring shouts filled the stadium, dancing in tandem with the aroma of heaving sweat and pumping testosterone. The ring itself was surrounded by the blackness of cheering crowds, encapsulating the small four meter ring with its stifling presence. The crowds cheered, lights baking down on the white ring, as a loud ringing voice shot through the chaos.

“Second round people, and the score is tied,” shouted the man behind the megaphone, pointing down at the ring with exuberance, “Lester Ward in one corner, his speed getting him a few quick blows to our other contestant, Jack Randle Jr! Jr here seems to be tiring down, he took the last few blows to the head pretty hard. Let’s see how this comes down in the last round…”

The man specified by the loudspeaking man sat on his stool, slowly massaging his shoulder as his muscles rippled beneath his dark skin. Jack blinked once, flicking drops of sweat out of his eyes as his trainer toweled off his back.

“Listen Jack,” whispered the trainer, massaging his other shoulder as he rewrapped his hand, “Lester’s got quickness on his side. Now that you’re tired, he’s going to be able to dodge your hooks more easily. Get yourself inside and let him have a power shot.”

“Mhmm,” Jack nodded, spitting a bit of blood out of his mouth as he slid his mouthguard back in. He cracked his neck once, glancing at his opponent, also standing up, grinning slightly as he moved up and down, loosening up and feeling the sweat slide off his body. Even with the blood flecks across his body, his Adonis-like build showed off his natural beauty, and as the crowd’s shouting grew even louder, he walked forward to the center of the ring, lowering his head slightly as Lester stood up and joined him, both of the boxers standing at the center of the ring, staring at each other as their legs slowly begin to shift.

Time seem to freeze for a second, as both fighters stared at each other, eyes burning into each others, heartbeats pounding slowly like a gongbeat. Lester seemed intense, his orbs tearing tongues of flame into the young black adult slowly stepping his way around him… Jack simply winked once, and the bell rang.

Lester shot forward, and Jack quickly moved in, but wasn’t fast enough. Lester’s boxing glove shot to the side, a red meteor on the periphery of his vision. Damn, thought Jack, his teeth gritting as he ducked shooting his left hand forward into a jab as he felt the skimming red glove lightly glaze his hair. Air swept across his scalp as he lunged forward, trying to keep in close, going for a shot to the gut.

WHACK

He didn’t see the other glove. Colliding headlong with his bent head, he snapped back, reeling slightly as stars flew around his eyes. He stumbled slightly, blinking as he raised his hands, the dancing shadows flitting in his eyes as he attempted to refocus. Come on… come on… He saw the other glove coming only just before it smacked on the side of the head. He stumbled again, he heard the roars… He could vaguely hear his coach shouting at him… But he couldn’t focus… there was just this damn ringing in his ears and this burning in his temple…

And then, he blinked. As he spun on one foot, a sudden quiver ran through his brain. It was like he was being punched again, except this one was only a tap, slightly inside his cranium… A vibration in his mind… As he fell to the side, he blinked, glancing up, a sudden image flashing across his mind. An image of a red glove, flashing across in a hook across hiss where his head was… and then the image vanished from his mind…. He blinked again, the vibration suddenly leaving his head, and instinctively, he jerked his head back, his back arching as he rooted his feet, reacting to the image as the screams of the crowd slammed into his ears. He blinked, focusing as he saw the surprised face of Lester, his hand extended in the hook, missing Jack by a mile as his mouth dropped at the feat. Jack blinked once, his own facial expression frozen for a second, quickly reacted, his left foot stepping back as his right arm shot up, powerful and ready, gunning for Lester’s slack jaw… But even off guard, Lester was quick. He jerked his head to the side, and Jack’s glove would not extend far enough from that angle to reach his face…

No… no… NO! screamed Jack inside his head, frustration building inside his body, burning in his heart, in his body, in his mind, as he watched his last chance at victory slipping away…

And then he felt to the floor, like he had been pushed to the ground by an explosion. A resounding crack filled the air, as he collapsed, landing on his butt as he gasped for air. He blinked, breathing harder as he vainly tried to stand again, the roars of the crowd growing even louder in his ears now, but somehow, he didn’t seem to be hearing it. All he could focus on was Lester lying stone cold on the floor, head cocked to the side, his face bruised from where a full contact force had smacked him in the face…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back