• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Fanfiction ► His Back [KH - Kairi & Naminé]

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smile

Codename: D
Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Title: His Back
Fandom: Kingdom Hearts
Time-frame: Post KH2
Characters: Kairi, Naminé.
Summary: Maybe waiting isn't all that bad...
Words: 1364

~♥~​

It's been many years since she first met him.
She was a lone girl from another world, washed ashore on his playground; an outcast brought to him on the eve of a meteor shower. He had only found her, and as she opened her eyes to gaze upon her new world, he greeted her with a grin. This boy who just met her accepted her immediately, welcoming her with open arms into his group of friends, despite his best friend's objections – into his "inner circle", and then – into their precious secret place.
This boy, this complete and utter stranger let this girl who had nothing feel like she belonged by letting her ever so willingly into his life.

She often wondered had it been in first sight; once and again she did, despite knowing she was little more than a baby at the time. 'It must've been' was the answer she eventually reached; having been by his side for over a decade, Kairi couldn't imagine loving anyone else but the boy named after the sky, and that was true from as early as she could remember herself.

She stayed with him whenever she could, however she could. When he played nearby, she watched him. When he ran ahead, she was the one who sent him off, and was there to await his return, be it as a winner or not. When he told her his stories with sparkling eyes, she took it with a grain of salt. It wasn't that she was aiming at disillusionment as much as holding onto a stubborn refusal to lose him to his dreams.
Reality was better, she always thought, especially if you made your dreams come true.

He had a tendency to share that belief of hers at the worst times, and it was always then that despite her best efforts, aforementioned reality caught up.
She was there, flailing her arms, calling his name – but he was already gone.

It was frustrating how true that reality was even during their everyday lives.
The pace in which they walked, the pace in which they talked; the way he'd go off speaking only to have her realize she lost track too often. How she could no longer 'hang out with the boys' – how she'd tell herself she didn't want to.

It was happening even then, she noted on the end of another school day, when both they and their friends were on their way home. She was walking idly by, not stalling and yet not feeling the need to rush. He was walking a bit ahead, his attention held by his best friend that walked next to him. He never once looked back, never once slowed his pace; never once waited for her.

Oh, how she longed to be to be able to walk next to him too, talk to him like that as well. Always and forever be by his side, and have him look at her with his blue eyes sparkling the way they did when they stared up at the older teen's cyan ones.
Won't she be ever able to be on equal grounds with him? Was she always fated to be left behind?

"It's wide, isn't it?" The soft, familiar voice spoke suddenly, making the girl open the eyes she apparently closed and look at the translucent figure, so like and yet so unlike her. She walked next to her, her ghost-like visage unaffected by the breeze as it blew past them. It was almost as though she was floating, more appearing near Kairi than moving by her own power. When she turned to Kairi, a smile on her lips, the redhead could only look back ahead.
"His back."

Was it, Kairi pondered as she studied Sora a bit from afar. She looked over his back and the wrinkles of his school shirt; the shirt which was no longer tucked into his pants; the bag thrown over his shoulder; the tie which hung a bit loosely around his collar; the tiny, delicate brown spikes that caressed over his nape. It was the same back she was used to gazing at, and yet it was different.
His shoulders were pulled back slightly; the shirt fit noticeably better; the fabric that caressed the skin accented well toned athletic muscles rather than the overall shapelessness of just another beach pumpkin. He grew taller during his year of absence, that much was obvious, but it almost seemed like – how did Naminé put it? His shoulders were wider?

"He became rather reliable." The faded girl added admiringly. "So strong, and yet, so kind... he's really a great person, isn't he?"

"That's why this is so frustrating!" Kairi hissed and came to a stop before she realized she did either. Naminé managed to float a bit ahead, only to stop not too far away; she kept looking ahead, even when Kairi spoke again.

"Why does it have to be like this? We've always been together, but he keeps running ahead. We're so close but so far away all the time. Aren't... aren't I good enough?! Don't I try hard enough?!" She looked up to stare at the stale figure, untouched by reality. How ironic it was, Kairi thought bitterly as she clenched her school bag tightly. How absurd it was that this girl, this mysterious part of herself, understood it so well. How she knew so much about Kairi, and about she herself and worst of all, how she knew so much about Sora. How she noticed everything, accepted everything. If their roles were reversed, if she was the phantom... would Naminé have stayed behind? Would she have stared at his back so helplessly like this, unable to ever truly catch up without slowing him down?

Oh, how she hated it, being so envious of someone who was another part of her.

"I'm really envious of you, did you know that, Kairi?"

Apparently, she didn't, if the awed look she gave her Nobody was any indication. Seemingly oblivious, the blonde continued.

"Anyone can stand next to him if they can keep up, if they're fast enough. If they're faster, they can also pass him. They'll get him to look at them because he's curious and friendly."
She interlaced her hands behind her back and for a change, her feet actually seemed like they touched the ground properly.
"But you're special, Kairi."
When next the wind picked up, it blew through golden strands and white lace. "No matter how far or fast he'll go, no matter where he ends up in, no matter what he finds... the place he'll come back to – the place they'll come back to... is where you're at."

It was a radiant smile that decorated Naminé's face as she turned to face Kairi.

"You're the only one who can make them turn around!"

The breeze picked up in a violent manner, throwing Kairi's hair into her eyes. She gasped and reached to push it away, only to stare ahead in a dumbfounded manner at the realization that through the whistling, she heard her name. True enough there they were, both boys standing closer than they did before, seeming concerned. What stood out the most to Kairi, however, was the very simple fact that both stopped and turned towards her.

She made them turn around.

Just like that time Sora bothered reaching for her to promise he'll come back.
Just like when she finally met Riku again, and for reasons that were then beyond her, he stayed when she asked him to.
Just like how, when she was finally back home and they were fighting for all that was - the skies opened up and brought them back to her.

A lump threatened to form in Kairi's throat and she shook her head before offering them both a smile.

"I'm fine." She reassured as she started walking again, for a long moment not paying the other two any attention. It was amazing, how her earlier insecurities seemed ridiculous and infantile. How it suddenly didn't matter anymore, how far away they ran, nor in which direction. She knew that if she ever came to a stop, all she had to do was close her eyes and he'll be there when she opened them.

"Are you guys coming or not?" Kairi asked after a moment as she turned around to the two seemingly awe-struck boys. Well, she didn't mind not being next to them as much anymore, but that didn't mean they were allowed to keep her waiting, now did it?

~♥~​

A/N: I... feel like this is rushed, sort of, but for the life of me couldn't pull at it any more than I did. I guess I need to work on my style, it doesn't work all that well for things that require long meaningful pauses x_X it's too... dynamic? x.x;;;
Anyhows, enjoy.

Oh, and...

TAKE THAT, BLANK POINTS! *angry fist!shake*
Though to be fair, this fic was half written in my notebook for over a year now... xD

rokudamia2

Dream eater ally.
Awards
Well done my friend. Well done . Way better then Blank Points.

chasespicer056

Empathy is Divine
Very nice oneshot!

It didn't seem that rushed to me honestly. And you seemed to establish Kairi's role pretty well in this.

What I really didn't understand in blank points is that, despite the scene with SRK taking place a year after KH2, they weren't any taller and didn't look any older. (though Nomura might just retcon that).

blackberi

C: Love this.
Ohemgeee~

Also Blank Points took place a year after KH2? o___O Did I miss something? I had no idea.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
I think it didn't. He said that because AtW told Aqua it's been a year since he met Sora, thus most likely referring to the end of KH2, but I doubt all the scenes we've seen in Blank Points took place at the same time. Way I see it, the KH2 post-credits scene and the SRK part of Blank Points both took place a short while after KH2 and will lead to 3D after Re:Coded. Aqua's scene more like KH3 turf

And thanks ;A;

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Again, a very nice piece of work, Smile-san.
If this would have been in Blank Points it would have been more complete.
Especially this little "cookie" with Kairi able to communicate with Naminé got my attention...;)

Square should hire you as the writer for Kairi's story-portions...lol, even if you don't really like her.

@oathkeeperriku09:
Actually, with this characters the whole thing would be called "yuri", not "yaoi"...*ggg*

@blackberi:
Not really, this particular scene in Blank Points takes place shortly after Coded, which itself is situated at most two months after KH II.
The confusion stems from the facts Smile spoilered above...in fact, when Ansem the Wise says to Aqua that's been a year since he met Sora, he's talking about seeing him before he goes to sleep in CoM. This was confirmed once in an interview by you-know-who.

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
Especially this little "cookie" with Kairi able to communicate with Naminé got my attention...;)

I'm a sucker for "after "death"" appearances. I got one for Roxas (though I write less about him), a couple for Namine and a planned one for Xion >>;

Square should hire you as the writer for Kairi's story-portions...lol, even if you don't really like her.

I think that's why I try so hard with her. If I already bother writing her, I want it to be good.

Actually, with this characters the whole thing would be called "yuri", not "yaoi"...*ggg*

They said that because the last "Kairi fic" I posted and is in the Kairi FC's topic post is one about Kairi angsting over SoRiku being together *ggg*
Though even that was "shonen ai" at worst and not yaoi XP

This was confirmed once in an interview by you-know-who.

Oh will the trolling never end.
And they say you don't need interviews to understand the games *gggg*

Sephiroth0812

Guardian of Light
Awards
Smile said:
I'm a sucker for "after "death"" appearances. I got one for Roxas (though I write less about him), a couple for Namine and a planned one for Xion >>;
I tend to get on this train too, you'll notice...just a bit more complicated.
Lol, i know, Riku, Xion and Naminé seem to be your "top three" closely followed by Sora.

I think that's why I try so hard with her. If I already bother writing her, I want it to be good.
It's reasonable, after all, few people want to dislike a character but there are some reasons they just can't help it...and then one can try to compensate by portraying the character in a story in a better light...

They said that because the last "Kairi fic" I posted and is in the Kairi FC's topic post is one about Kairi angsting over SoRiku being together *ggg*
Though even that was "shonen ai" at worst and not yaoi XP
You posted something like that in the Kairi-Fan-Club? Was this a request or something? ^_^
Actually on these terms I'm knowledgeable since I'm so open-minded and do read also some of this type of fics...although I still prefer the "suggestive" over the "explicit" stuff.

Oh will the trolling never end.
And they say you don't need interviews to understand the games *gggg*
I think that depends on what one wants to understand. If it's just the overall story it'll probably be sufficient to pay close attention to the games and read the secret reports of every game.
If one wants to have very specific details it'll need the interviews...

blackberi

@blackberi:
Not really, this particular scene in Blank Points takes place shortly after Coded, which itself is situated at most two months after KH II.
The confusion stems from the facts Smile spoilered above...in fact, when Ansem the Wise says to Aqua that's been a year since he met Sora, he's talking about seeing him before he goes to sleep in CoM. This was confirmed once in an interview by you-know-who.

Okay, that's what I thought. XD I was like: "pretty sure it's only a few days or months after KH2, if even."

Smile

Awards
Website
www.fanfiction.net
XD Glad I followed the link on your sig smile! Amazing! This fan-fic makes Kairi seem more like a real person to me than the games do.

I better stop then. Don't want people to, ya know, start liking her because of me.
That'd be pretty damn bloody ironic.

Lol, i know, Riku, Xion and Naminé seem to be your "top three" closely followed by Sora.

My "top three" are actually Sora, Riku and Xion. Namine's a close second ^^;

You posted something like that in the Kairi-Fan-Club? Was this a request or something? ^_^

No. It was one of the first fics I ever wrote for KH, truth be told. And I just advertised it there when I published it on this site.

Lanydx reborn

The Superior Lanydx
Awards
I better stop then. Don't want people to, ya know, start liking her because of me.
That'd be pretty damn bloody ironic.

My "top three" are actually Sora, Riku and Xion. Namine's a close second ^^;

No. It was one of the first fics I ever wrote for KH, truth be told. And I just advertised it there when I published it on this site.
Why would that be ironic? I think it would be great.

Crystal

Silver Member
I love this <3
Would you start to write a story about Xion? xD
I love Xion <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back