• Hello everybody! We have tons of new awards for the new year that can be requested through our Awards System thanks to Antifa Lockhart! Some are limited-time awards so go claim them before they are gone forever...

CLICK HERE FOR AWARDS

Help/Support ► Making friends...

REGISTER TO REMOVE ADS
Status
Not open for further replies.

Negative

Since I got into high school last year I've been trying to meet new people. Of course I met some by joining the marching band and working hard in it, but I'm not sure if most of them really think of me as a friend. My first problem is trying to get them to be closer.

The second problem is just making new friends. I've tried a lot of things, like being nice towards other people and helping others out, but none of those seem to be helping and are sometimes backfiring, in a way. About half of the people in my school are the types that only like to be friends with those who are involved with sports, which isn't something I really would want to get involved with, because I'm pretty bad at most sports. It's the same reason why I'm not part of a lot of the clubs or groups at my school. There was also this girl I that I wanted to get to know, but she graduated and I'm afraid that I missed my chance on getting to know her because she graduated last year.

There are also a couple of things that I think make people not want to get to know me. The first is the fact that I'm not the most attractive looking person around. A lot of people are very judgemental an it. Second is that I'm not really talented at many things, like I said before, especially the things that usually get people to like. Third is that I'm usually quite shy around people, which is something that I'm trying to break.

I'm sure that some of this doesn't make all that much sense (I'm half asleep writing this xP). I just need some advice/tips on trying to make new friends. Any would be appreciated.

Thanks.

keybladelegacy

~*Youll be my Living Legacy~*KBL
Website
www.landofdeparture.webs.com
Making new friend is easy you just have to find something that you and a person both like. It also depends how you act. Like me im the craziest,dumbest, and fun loving person at my school. I just advise you to dont try to hard. You dont choose your friend they choose you. Be yourself, be involved, and never give into peer pressure just to make friends, dont degrade yourself. Oh ya you have to get over being shy thats what life is all about taking risk if you get over that then im sure youll be making friends.

Reflection

Princess of Heart
Awards
I think we've all been through that kind of thing before. You seem like you're on the right track, and you know that being shy won't do anything beneficial.

I guess keep doing what you're doing, people should open up to you eventually ^^
Are there any things school related you could go to with people in your class that you'd want to get to know? Like uhhh a football game you could meet up with them at? I dunno, I'm not really into sports either. :p

Just be honest with yourself and everyone around you; don't take the whole idea so seriously. it'll take time, but I think you'll get lots of friends soon enough. :3

C

coolfresh1224

just be yoursel- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahah...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhah huhuhuhu AHA HA *gasping for breath*- okay huhuhuHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD ITS SO FUNNY hahahaha huhuhu okay try an easy sport and remeber to be yourself- AHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA

scubasteve

Banned
Awards
don't fucking go out of your way to make friends in high school. just do your own shit and maybe you'll meet a cool dude or two along the way.

Vayne Mechanics

Expert of Asian things
Awards
thanks dad
no problem son
snapshot20090519202508.jpg

Cinollex

tssssss
Awards
just be yoursel- HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahah...AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhah huhuhuhu AHA HA *gasping for breath*- okay huhuhuHAHAHAHAHA OH GOD ITS SO FUNNY hahahaha huhuhu okay try an easy sport and remeber to be yourself- AHAHAHAHAHA HAHAHAHAHA

Die.

At any rate, it's likely that you're over thinking/over complicating the issue. Friendship, in most cases, doesn't just "happen" when you want it to, it'll develop naturally. What interests do you have? Shows? Games? Maybe you could find some common ground, meet people with similar taste. That's often a good way to build a friendship. Hell, I'm introverted, and I've made friends this way.

Iridium

Snobby Von PersnicketyBitch
Awards
don't fucking go out of your way to make friends in high school. just do your own shit and maybe you'll meet a cool dude or two along the way.

I do have to agree with you on this.

The secondary goal of school education is the learning of social skills, which is needed for endeavors later in life. Honestly, there are at least a handful of people you're going to hang out with after highschool is over with, so hanging onto the few highschool friends that actually matter to you is what you need to do.

However, like Steve had said it's not necessary to have friends at this point in your life. There's always college as an alternative, but that's unless you really want to gun for such a thing.

Papou

Perfect advice.

You're only going to come across the coolest people or the people you're going to like best if you're doing exactly what you want to be doing.

Wehrmacht

cameo lover
Awards
Keeping your self-esteem up will also help. Try not to pity yourself too much. Don't turn into a narcissist, but don't be "baaaaaaaw i'm ugly nobody will ever love me" either. Even if doesn't result in you making more friends, it feels pretty nice to like yourself.

Last edited:
C

coolfresh1224

whats wrong with narcism. yeah i think thats how u spell it

Antiquity

Put on your courage and fly
Awards

Steve's got that here. That's the way I made a friend and now I've got several.
No need to be talented, attractive, or shy. That's the way I am. Somebody'll eventually want to talk to you more whether it be in sports or just being partnered up with somebody during a project. They're out there.

Lycanthrope

Gold Member
Awards
Do you have friends?
This is true. Going out of your way to make friends ends up leading to hanging with people you don't like very much.

Aqua.

ichimaru gin~ <3
omgod, dont be fake no matter what.. there's people at our school who always try to act cool and try wearing what all the cool kids are wearing and everything. Those ppl don't make friends and eventually turn into emo loners or wannabee;s..if you're nice to people, friendly, not stalkerish, not desperate, and real, then you'll make friends in no time.

Danica Syer

Trivia: Love ღ
I think in order to make friends, you should see how other people make friends. Well if you know other people with alot of friends or whatever that your friends with. If not, don't worry about it, I learned from my HS that having friends is not always that important in some activities and so forth, sometimes if your desperate though, you might make the wrong friends as well. Think about that. Plus the people at your school sound like mine but then again, it can apply to many other schools. >_< If that makes sense, anyway, don't be too desperate, be yourself (I know it's cliche but trust me it's true). And take both Steve and Iridium's advice because it is true. (at least for me it was). Actually how I made some friends in HS. By the way don't do anything you won't do or be who you wouldn't be eithier just because you want make friends with those who blind/shallow enough not to get to know you or be judgemental about you because they are idiots. You'll find somebody who can relate to you. Well good luck and hope this helps! :p

Yuna Ashe

A good friend is someone who can accept you in all condition, share interests, n provides supports whenever it's needed. Also, a good friend doesn't see how smart n talented u r...Try to find that kind of friends, n remember one thing:JUST BE YOURSELF N DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING ABOUT U, EXCEPT FOR THE BAD THINGS, coz that'll make u comfortable when you a find a new friend. Ok, I hope you'll find a bestfriend soon... Good luck^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back